Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's also important to remember that it's entirely plausible that Severian never had sexual relations with any of these women.

I doubt he made up the story about raping Jolenta and then also made a bunch of half rear end excuses claiming she totally wanted it. Though I suppose someone who was impotent and trying to hide it might get mixed up in his own lies.

Chichevache posted:

That is true! Every other autarch is a castrato. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say Severian is as well and has too much pride to admit it.

One thing I've been noticing lately is how much Gene Wolfe is influenced by le Mort de Arthur. It shows up in almost all of his work, and despite the Roman trappings of BotNS there is still a tinge of Arthuriana. One important tale is the Fisher King. He's the Guardian of the Holy Grail (the Claw of the conciliator) and is invariably lame.

In medieval times a wound to the thigh or other lameness was often a euphemism for genital injuries. Pointing out that Sir Stabalot had his dick broken in a fight was considered rude and emasculating at the time. Instead, you said that Sir Stabalot took a grievous wound to the thigh, or had been lamed. I haven't read BotNS since I started up with Arthuriana, but I'm looking forward to trying to pick this scene out in the future:

Like the Fisher King, Severian's emasculation is such that he comes to identify as (partially) a woman. And like the Fisher (Sinner) King, his kingdom can only be healed when he atones for his sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Safety Biscuits posted:

Correct, it was broken in the flier crash, in chapter 25 which also features Severian describing his memory as "more vividly than I would have thought possible", a nice bit of evidence for my assertion that he does not have perfect memory.

Severian's not emasculated (I think you're thinking of Terminus Est being broken here) and he identifies partly as a woman because his memories and personality are, in part, literally a woman's. I don't think that second parallel holds up, either, especially since I think it's normally not the Fisher King who does the healing and atonement - IIRC in Malory it's Sir Galahad atoning for Sir Balyn's (? Balan's) crimes.

You're being a bit literal. He becomes less masculine (is emasculated) when he literally develops a second personality that identifies as a woman. His dick remains physically intact. The Sinner King is healed by the actions of a Holy Fool, whether Percival or whomever, and in this case Severian is kind of both characters, and the prior Autarch is both the elder wounded king (literally castrated) and the whole line of Grail Knights. Other images from various forms of the legend show up at other times in the books, like the flesh or head of a relative/relation served on a platter, the Healing Question, the recurrence of failed trials, and the beautiful castle that becomes a ruin after the Holy Fool sleeps in it. The BotNS is definitely not a point for point retelling of any one version of the Fisher King legend, and elements of the story and characters are woven into Severian, the Autarch, and Vodalus, at least. It's probably best to read these echoes of the story in the context of Severian's revelation about the mythic significance of Baldanders and Dr. Talos.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

it's a shame the doctor of death island is kind of a weak story in comparison because the doctor/death/island triptych is otherwise perfect

there are four of them, Death of the Island Doctor just isn't in The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories.