Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BigSkillet posted:

For further Wolfe reading, my library system has all three Short Sun books but only two from Long Sun. Is it possible to read and enjoy Short Sun without having read Long Sun beforehand?

If those two books are Litany of the Long Sun and Epiphany of the Long Sun, you're good to go as they are collected editions and cover the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I've read BotNS twice and I have almost no idea what anyone is talking about. I think it's time for a reread + finally getting to Long and Short Sun.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Levitate posted:

A lot of that stuff is in Urth of the New Sun, I think. I just don't remember how he brought about the New Sun or he specifically was needed for that or whatever

I'm referring to almost the entire thread to be honest. I know I was able to follow along way back in the beginning, but things are getting hazier and I don't remember a lot of the finer details. And it's no problem, really; I can always make time for a BotNS reread :).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

I saw 6 posts here and thought exactly this.

Same here. I met Wolfe at DragonCon last year and he looked pretty rough, even considering his advanced age.

That was an awesome panel, though, because he basically trolled an entire room full of people that expected him to talk about his books. Instead we got a brief biography that stopped right as he started selling stories professionally. In retrospect I think that was actually better because the Sun books have been out for a long time and he's probably said everything he can possibly say about them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

sebmojo posted:

He is a torturer. You are reading the memoirs of a torturer.

This sounds so straightforward but is incredibly important to remember for one reason that Slaughterhouse-Ive has touched on: unlike essentially every other writer, Wolfe does not try to give Severian a heart of gold and have him fight against the organization that raised him. Dude is a torturer and he's going to torture some people.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think you may be struggling with the fact that you don't need to like a protagonist to find their story interesting. Severian is a bastard, you're not really supposed to like him or support his decisions, but they make for a very compelling story.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ordered a set, those are beautiful and will help fill the hole in my soul caused by not having the Centipede editions.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Just as a heads up, these are likely going to go fairly quickly. It's a very nice set that is like a third the cost of the Easton Press editions and a tenth the cost of the Centipede Press editions.

I know $600 sets of books aren't for everyone, but if they are your jam, I'd recommend acting soon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

my bony fealty posted:

he was involved in the project, approved all the artwork, signed 750 plates for it, and was certainly aware that they wouldn't be cheap so I gotta disagree

More to the point, these are relatively inexpensive compared to some other editions of his work.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

CountFosco posted:

Hey, we all make mistakes. Who wouldn't be flattered by such a project and be tempted to participate? I stand by my statement.

It wasn't a one-off thing with him, so you're pretty clearly wrong. Wolfe was fine with expensive special editions of his books.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My Folio set arrived today and it is very impressive.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Basch lives! posted:

Anyone able to help me track down a Folio Society edition of Book of the New Sun? I wish there were some kind of limited edition book website where users could post their stuff for sale, that isn't something like amazon.

What's your budget? Camelot Books has a consignment on sale, but it's extremely pricey

https://camelotbooks.com/books/detail/the-book-of-the-new-sun

Also you're thinking of Ebay. There are also some FB groups, like Small Press Limited Book Collectors.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 17, 2019

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lester Shy posted:

Should I reread BOTNS

The answer is yes, regardless of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hey hey hey! The four volume signed set was only $400. EDIT: I guess it was $600? I went by what was charged to my cc, I guess I had some funds already in Paypal to cover the difference.

Or $3500 if you can manage to find a set for sale today.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 26, 2021