Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I actually thought his 2 recent issues have been a lot better than the previous 4. He should've dived straight into Truth like everyone else and let the backstory flesh out in retrospect.

Howard Porter is so much better than JRjr and Yang is definitely trying to impersonate Pak with these recent issues with all the monologuing.

I'd rather read Paktion comics by far and I'm glad his side of Truth stands on its own but I wouldn't call those recent Porter issues horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think the mythological fight club thing is real lame, and I know trying to square it off with the other books is a fool's errand, but thinking about him doing that for months (I think they said this issue) is real silly.

I love Porter, but I like JL3K a whole lot more than what he's moved to.

e: I'm liking Lois and Clark, though, except for the mystery bad guy aliens being final page teases two issues in a row.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 27, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's really proved that the problem with Superman isn't that he's too powerful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirDan3k posted:

It's really proved that the problem with Superman isn't that he's too powerful.

That's really only a problem when he's not off in his own little corner. It becomes a serious issue when he has to team up with like Nightwing or whatever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

he has to team up with like Nightwing or whatever.

You reminded me, if anyone missed it from not reading Grayson, Grayson Annual #2 is a really fun Clark/Dick buddy issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

You reminded me, if anyone missed it from not reading Grayson, Grayson Annual #2 is a really fun Clark/Dick buddy issue.

And next week has the continuation of Dick Grayson: lovely Ex-Boyfriend World Tour, in Starfire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yang's Superman is so horrible :(

Johns seems to think Yang is the best Superman writer ever.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Johns also thinks Willpower is an emotion, so...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Does Yang's Superman get in a lot of convoluted pointless wars where hundreds of side characters die in incredibly violent ways?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Does Yang's Superman get in a lot of convoluted pointless wars where hundreds of side characters die in incredibly violent ways?

Nobody's had an arm ripped off yet, no.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't wait until the full page splash of Jimmy Olsen getting his head ripped off by some no name Zod henchman to show that things are REALLY SERIOUS.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait until the full page splash of Jimmy Olsen getting his head ripped off by some no name Zod henchman to show that things are REALLY SERIOUS.

How about having him getting hit by an evil Superman with heat vision

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh yeah. I forgot about sand clones.
Bad book.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I want to call it bad but I love the concept of a pro wrestling ring where gods from dead religions wrestle to stay alive. In fact I'd read a comic solely about Superman's wrasslin' adventures.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 29, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
American Alien continues to be fantastic.

And holy poo poo I wasn't expecting Doomsday to show up

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, American Alien is killing it right now. Really sad and well-executed short. Teen Clark getting shot in the face and lasering off a dude's arms is super brutal and crazy sad. Poor kid. Also, whenever Clark's abilities are kind of an open secret in the town I'm always happy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Couple interesting things in next week's Annuals for Superman and SM/WW
For Superman Annual #3 Greg Pak, Aaron Kuder and Peter Tomasi are writing with Gene Luen Yang. Obviously to set up the crossover. I got excited for Bill Sienkiewicz's credit, but according to Comixology it's for inking.
In Superman/Wonder Woman Annual #2 Sholly Fisch is finally back after those backups for Grant Morrison's Action Comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 26, 2015

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sholly Fisch is finally back after those backups for Grant Morrison's Action Comics.
He wrote the Metallo Forever Evil issue, and it was honestly one of the best Metallo stories ever. Granted, the story itself is not great, but his backups for AC were awesome and it was good to see him write a full issue (a crossover issue no less) and have it be pretty good as well.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

American Alien: still wonderful. Clark's such a goofy guy, and a romantic, and everything you'd kind of expect a contemporary pre-Superman Superman to be. I hope Landis comes back and writes more Superman after this series is over, because this book is exemplary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are people being crybabies about Clark having sex with the Cheetah. I guess they assume Clark was a virgin until he married Lois?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe they don't want Superman to be a furry.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Let's not pretend he isn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lana was into some FREAKY poo poo.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Dude banged a mermaid. All downhill from there.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Not just a mermaid, he also banged an alien chick that can turn into triplets, and a French chick. Plus, Lana (she's a freak too).

Anyway, I'd like to see Landis get a nice 12 (or more)-issue run on the main Superman book, once Yang finishes up his own run (which I hope continues past Truth).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dario the Wop posted:

Not just a mermaid, he also banged an alien chick that can turn into triplets, and a French chick. Plus, Lana (she's a freak too).

Wait, when did Clark have a fling with Triplicate Girl?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe that was The Superboy That Isn't Young Superman and Dario is confused by DC's terrible continuity.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oops wrong thread.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Rhyno posted:

Wait, when did Clark have a fling with Triplicate Girl?
Didn't they hook up in the Silver/Bronze Age, in the Superboy/LSH title?

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe that was The Superboy That Isn't Young Superman and Dario is confused by DC's terrible continuity.
NEVER! I pride myself on being able to navigate that mess! :flashfact:

I've explained Hypertime to people in comic book shops!

(I've lead a sad life)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

After Savage Dawn, Peter Tomasi is taking over Superman, Action, BM/SM and SM/WW for two months for an eight part story.
http://www.newsarama.com/27600-dc-comics-april-2016-solicitations.html
"His time without powers made Kal-El realize that the world is in need of more protectors...more super-powered beings like himself. But where will he find such beings?"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

After Savage Dawn, Peter Tomasi is taking over Superman, Action, BM/SM and SM/WW for two months for an eight part story.
http://www.newsarama.com/27600-dc-comics-april-2016-solicitations.html
"His time without powers made Kal-El realize that the world is in need of more protectors...more super-powered beings like himself. But where will he find such beings?"

Action Comic's solicit is pretty amusing

quote:

ACTION COMICS #51

Written by Peter J. Tomasi, art by Fernando Pasarin, cover by Karl Kerschl, variant cover by John Romita Jr.

Superman is shocked to learn that Kara has been missing for some time as part three of "Super League" begins! Now, with Batman's help, Kal-El is on his cousin's trail -- but he can't believe where it's leading him and who she has joined!

32 pages, $3.99, in stores on April 20.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

gently caress...Pak better be back when this is over. Tomasi is mediocre as all hell.

This is going to be a long 2 months.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

gently caress...Pak better be back when this is over. Tomasi is mediocre as all hell.

This is going to be a long 2 months.

His Green Lantern Corps and Batman and Robin was pretty great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Second half of the Tomasi event solicited, plus some Mikel Janin art.
http://www.comicosity.com/first-look-superman-april-and-may-solicitations-plus-mikel-janin-art/

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I really enjoyed his Batman and Green Lantern stuff, but not sure how I feel about this. Looks like I am going to wait for the reviews and/or sale on comixogy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can anyone who's read American Alien #4 help unpack the cover?

The robin/Luthor crown/bat and arrows are obvious, and I'm guessing the golden orb he's walking on represents the Daily Planet.
The woman could represent Lois if Sook didn't see how Jae Lee designed her, but what's with the emaciated version with a basket of corn?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can anyone who's read American Alien #4 help unpack the cover?

The robin/Luthor crown/bat and arrows are obvious, and I'm guessing the golden orb he's walking on represents the Daily Planet.
The woman could represent Lois if Sook didn't see how Jae Lee designed her, but what's with the emaciated version with a basket of corn?

The woman is Lois, and I think the emaciated one represents the uncowled Bruce.

This issue is so good it makes me hate Max Landis a little because there is only three left.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I honestly thought it was poo poo.

Luthor was incredibly unsubtle and not in the usual, deliciously fun way. Just dull and trying too hard.

Also Clark needing to see Batman's cape and cowl to be inspired to do his own thing is stupid and diminishes his character.

American Alien hasn't been that great for me but the first two issues had potential if kind of rough.

The last 2 issues were rubbish.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Luthor was incredibly unsubtle and not in the usual, deliciously fun way.

When he said "I believe this is your stop" and let Clark off at the kindergarten, I thought that was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Lex was definitely channeling some Victor von Doom in his little diatribe.

The whole section with Grayson was just the best. That conversation put into context with the next events, then holding the cowl/cape and listing to Louis message just brings it all together in a beautiful moment. Do something BIG Clark.

Next: EAGLE :allears: Oh you~

• Locked thread