Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'm disappointed Greg Pak's starting his Action Comics run with a Zero Year tie in but hopefully it'll have some relevance to the stories he writes afterwards, rather than just being some token, incredibly unnecessary, Batman cameo like in Superman Unchained.

Aaron Kuder's art looks great in that cover. I especially love how those thunder clouds look.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Luthor appears to have gotten plastic surgery for his scars so he'll never have those lame scars ever again.

Yet another reason to ignore H'el on Earth entirely.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Jim Lee did the same thing for Superman Unchained.

And also I think Andy Diggle's Hybrid story was supposed to explain them but that never materialised.

In the end I just think nobody at DC liked Lobdell's scars thing...

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Doomsday was great and I liked how Death of Superman was told in a kind of Kryptonian folklore feel that was really interesting.

Parasite had a lot of potential and I've come to really love Aaron Kuder's art, it's fantastic and really detailed. I just wish Parasite wasn't so heavily tied to Diggle/Daniels' Hybrid story as I found that really crap and I also wished it wasn't tied to Forever Evil. It was interesting and actually funny at times but it should have been a lot more standalone as a Parasite origins issue.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Rhyno posted:

The Cliff Chiang variant to Superman / Wonder Woman #1 is lovely.

The new 52 costume looks so much better when the stupid lines are toned down. If we could just get rid of that collar it might actually look good.

I don't particularly like the SM/WW ship but Chiang making them form a heart as they fly is actually a nice touch.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah. I figure he's doing this wackadoo video game thing to suit Booth, but it's just going to be hard to figure out when I might want to jump on or off the title depending on the arc, cause the swing in tone, dialogue, everything was so extreme. It's a totally different comic than it was last month.

I'm just ignoring Bat/Supes until Jae Lee comes back on the art. At least then, even if the writing was similarly that bad the sweet sweet art would make up for it.

Like you, I suspect Pak is just completely phoning it in with Booth until Lee comes back while he works on Action Comics instead (which was far better and I really like Pak's Lana even if she's a little bit similar to Lois this time around).

That's the only way I can see a quality drop this steep happening.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Unchained is a little drawn out but it's been slowly building up a relatively interesting story arc. At the very least it's got Superman and his supporting cast actually being pretty likeable rather than how they've often been outside of Morrison and Pak's Action Comics.

It's probably worth waiting for the trade since it's very much a story meant to be read in one go rather than on a monthly basis.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Doomed itself was meh and featured a whole lot of stuff I didn't really understand (probably because they were plot threads from Superman and SM/WW Also what the hell is happening to Lois Lane? When did she have crazy purple eyes and commune with some sort of hivemind?) but the Action Comics issue following it was really good and has an interesting arc. Plus it's always good to see Morrison's stuff return like Krypto and Steel and even Metallo to an extent.

I just hope Paktion comics will be stand alone and self contained during the event cause I have no interest in reading Lobdell's one issue and Soule's stuff.

quote:

If you're worried about Clark as Superdoom stomping around killing everyone, don't be. It hasn't gone there (though we still have Lobdell's chapter.)

Looking at solicits it sounds like this won't happen until later in Pak's run.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I read all three Doomed issues this week. Did I miss something or did Cyborg Superman get defeated off screen?

He was alive and fine in SM/WW Annual 3 but come Action Comics 34 all that's left is a disembodied cyborg hand floating around. What happened there?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Superdoom ripped his arm and then he gloated about just being a diversion, he showed up for a few panels on Action Comics when activating the portal.

Oh I see it now, the floating robot arm is just the one doom ripped off that he later regenerated. Has cyborg superman ever showed up in other nu52 stories and are they any good?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Unchained felt completely phoned in from the start, it's weird that Snyder went on about how this was the superman he always wanted to tell if he could only tell one because the whole thing has been really dull. It was just decent at the time it first came out because Lobdell was ruining both superman and action comics.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

On the other hand Action Comics this week is pretty great. Superman has joined the Beard Avengers.

Pak has been killing it on Action Comics and Johns has been doing good work too, it also helps that both of them have been throwing out all the crap Lobdell introduced. Superman has been pretty awesome lately.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I think Felicity is the character that Superman saves from jumping in Grounded so it could be an amalgam of both that he's using there.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Somehow David Finch did a better costume design over a year ago.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bumpin' cause new Action Comics is beautiful.
The cover is a total misnomer. It's very sweet. I'm gonna post the Kentville pages in the 'Touching' thread.

I hope Clark eating stuff is a recurring theme for a while.

The only problem is that the upcoming 'Superman' issue takes place before this and the Action Sneak Peek preview, but it wasn't a big deal.

That burrito just went crunch! It's a good thing Clark doesn't have super taste senses right now.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The Doomed issues and Pak's Batman/Superman tie in issue are pretty necessary to that particular storyline. The SM/WW tie ins aren't though and can be skipped.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wish Gene Luen Yang's Superman wasn't bothering with catching us up and just started doing it's own t-shirting story too, or at least was picking up from the Sneak Peek, which I liked a lot more than the actual issue.

Gene Yang's bit is kind of necessary though because without the context Truth makes what Lois did seem like a really horrible thing to do to her friend but with GLY's storyline it seems like there's a decent justification for it and I think that background is pretty important.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Landis's Adventures of Superman story where Superman clashes with the joker is offensively terrible. It's an overly self aware story that just involves using Superman as a mouthpiece so Landis can do a really shallow rant about why he hates joker as a character. It's also just badly written and the dialogue is clunky as anything, especially when Superman starts telling Joker why he sucks. The story itself also just has a pretty bad voice for Superman given that it's just Landis.

I won't be paying any attention to American Alien after that story.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Personally I think the basic concept is really wrong headed and stupid.

If people want more Post Crisis Supes then they'd actually want to keep reading his story in his own setting and universe not in some weird convoluted thing where he's in the new 52 world post Truth.

This is like that stupid Batman Beyond setup where it's Batman Beyond but not Terry and the Tim involved is some really complicated explanation.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Neal Adams comes across as someone going full "not muh Superman" in that interview but I still want to read whatever madness he's come up with.

I'd also love to see some more stand alone miniseries/OGNs using some sort of broadly defined, not confined to any continuity version of Superman.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I actually thought his 2 recent issues have been a lot better than the previous 4. He should've dived straight into Truth like everyone else and let the backstory flesh out in retrospect.

Howard Porter is so much better than JRjr and Yang is definitely trying to impersonate Pak with these recent issues with all the monologuing.

I'd rather read Paktion comics by far and I'm glad his side of Truth stands on its own but I wouldn't call those recent Porter issues horrible.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

gently caress...Pak better be back when this is over. Tomasi is mediocre as all hell.

This is going to be a long 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I honestly thought it was poo poo.

Luthor was incredibly unsubtle and not in the usual, deliciously fun way. Just dull and trying too hard.

Also Clark needing to see Batman's cape and cowl to be inspired to do his own thing is stupid and diminishes his character.

American Alien hasn't been that great for me but the first two issues had potential if kind of rough.

The last 2 issues were rubbish.

• Locked thread