Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
^--- That's pretty loving cool. One of my favorite shirts is my Red Son shirt.

old picture

Semper Fudge posted:

Something that was pointed out on 4chan:

gently caress.

Yeah, I didn't notice it until it was pointed out on here too.

Grant Morrison is pretty good at his job.

Magic Love Hose posted:

There is an argument I have with some friends that I'd like to get some thoughts on here:

Can Superman be wrong, and still be Superman?

A lot of people are telling me that no, Superman can't really be in the wrong on something, and that his moral instincts are too sharp. To them, "there is a right and a wrong in the universe and that distinction is not very difficult to make." And moreover, that if Superman ever WAS wrong - even subjectively - it'd be ruinous to the character.

They cite "Grounded." I admit that Grounded - the JMS half, I like the Chris Roberson half a lot - is a convincing argument for How Not To Do Something.

But I fall into the camp of "he can be wrong and, for the sake of drama, sometimes he should be wrong." To me, Superman's moral strength comes not from him always knowing what the right thing is, but from him always making the effort to find out. To me, it's more interesting if he puts a lot of effort into understanding moral dilemmas and resolving them. If he's right, it's because he's thought about something for a long time, probably while walking on the ocean floor or in a slow orbit around the Moon. If he's wrong, then he's a big enough man to admit it and works to make things right. If he just knows, with no real effort, then the drama is lessened. Not eliminated, but it takes a hit.

What do you all think?

Your friends have a pretty stupid viewpoint, here. I suspect that they simply do not respect Superman, because a flawless character is a boring character. Some of the best Superman stories are when he's wrong (Red Son, the previously mentioned JLU episode with him fighting Captain Marvel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

So I guess a shop in North Carolina thinks that Superman is a huge Christian, and would never say "God".

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/08/north-carolina-comic-shop-to-boycott-action-comics/

You're a week late on this story! He dropped the boycott after Morrison explained that it was a grunt. But he got high and mighty and said that it was good that this was at least discussed.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Nerd Of Prey posted:

If that dude ever cracked open a copy of Preacher he would probably burn his whole store down.

He sells Crossed in his store . This is the book where there are sadisticly insane people with cross scars on their faces who act out the most evil things they can think of. This is the book that would make Fredric Wertham spontaneously combust if he ever saw it.

He got upset about this because of who Superman is, and because kids would be see "GD" and assuming to put the correct vowel in there.

Nevermind that this comic book is sitting on the stands with a comic that has a cover with people spewing blood out of their mouths.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Action Comics #13 was so drat awesome. It simply made my day. The backup story especially made me smile.

Also, I think it's time that we move Travel Foreman to the big leagues, the art was really stellar here. DC should be giving him some long-term major projects from here on out.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I don't think his art is that much of a problem. It is his writing that I find so uninspired.

I will drop Action Comics, though, unless I am pleasantly surprised.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Superman 13's big story point, Clark quitting, was completely uninteresting. It felt really, really forced and out of the blue. One minute Clark is having a disagreement of this stuff, but it looks like he's immediately moved on. He's more concerned about Lois.

Then it gets brought up again, and he just goes off. It came off as very unbelievable.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just realized something.

If Superman articles are the main selling point of your newspaper, then how the hell are you going to let the one journalist who has access to Superman walk out your door? You simply don't let that happen. It cannot be an option for you, especially if your print media is dying.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I read Earth 1 Vol 2 last night, and while it wasn't good, I didn't find it as offensively atrocious as others here. I dunno, maybe the art carried it for me.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Flameingblack posted:

DC doesn't know how to _____________ well.

Fixed that for you, friend.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Has Ferlin shown up somehow in the story yet? I've got to imagine he plays some sort of part in this.

And who's Comet? Isn't that the name of Superman's horse?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_%28DC_Comics%29 - Ah, Supergirl's horse.

redbackground posted:

I think I liked Sholly's backup more than the main issue, which was already pretty great!

I wouldn't go that far, but I am incredibly impressed by the strength of the backups that Action has been getting. Usually they are to be dreaded.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Flameingblack posted:

It's always been a little more essential for things like Lois and his job at a mundane job that all sorts of people have to keep him grounded as "Human after all" and not having a relationship with the daughter of God and living life in the Arctic or in Batman's space tower being a Supergod.

I guess we can always hope that in a few years we'll get the story where Superman realizes his mistake and draws this back.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Teenage Fansub posted:

When did Luthor get scarred up and arrested?

edit: Is this his first current day appearance?

I think it is.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Agreed, I look forward to Scholly Fisch getting his own book.

(...he is a dude, right? I have no idea. I guess Scholly would be a guy's name?)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Kull the Conqueror posted:

He's a guy, and I think the reason you don't see him doing a full comic story is that he's busy doing a lot of work in other media too.

A Google search only shows up comic book stuff, but it looks like the majority of it has been stuff for DC Kids books.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

horsepeen posted:

The new Snyder/Lee Superman comic will be called Superman Unchained, and not Superman: Man of Steel like I previously assumed.

Here's an article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/03/04/dc-comics-superman-comic-book-series/1931359/

Wow. DC just cannot help sabotaging itself.

"We've got a huge Superman movie coming out, called Man of Steel."

"We are also planning to release a new ongoing Superman book in the months leading up to the movie's release."

"Okay. Whatever we do, we cannot have this title line up to the movie in any way."

"Well, we're naming the comic book Man of Steel too. You know, for product synergy-"

"YOU STOP THAT poo poo NOW."

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

SirDan3k posted:

"Consumer Confusion" is actually a marketing thing, the idea being that if two things exist with the same name consumers will get confused and frustrated then not buy. It's something that popped up a lot in DC's animation that has made it's way into the comics it's probably why there's only been the one Batgirl and one Flash now.

What would the confusion be, though? I see no indication that the movie Superman will be so different from comic book Superman. And if this were the case, then what of the Avengers comic book? That book is crazy out there and not at all like the movie. (But at the same time, we do see Marvel integrating stuff from the movie into the comics, but not the base Avengers book, yet.)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

SirDan3k posted:

sometimes I wonder if like recap pages it's just a case of DC refusing to do something because Marvel does it.

I have been saying this for years, don't rip me off!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The Goon posted:

That Superboy reveal is interesting, but I would have been perfectly fine with them keeping his Geoff Johns-revamped origin of being a mix of Luthor and Superman. I thought that that was brilliant in its simplicity and a perfect hook for the character.

This could prove interesting though depending on how they run with it.

Eh, the Superman/Luthor mix drama is already played out.

At first, I was wondering how having Lois Lane would make any sense. Then I realized: oh. The mastermind is General Sam Lane.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Space_Butler posted:

So Superboy 19 ended up being more of a Harvest origin story than a Superboy one, but it's about time he's given a backstory and motivation. They probably should've released this issue a while ago during the whole Culling nonsense. At least then he would've been seen as more than an unbeatable video game boss.

About time? He never deserved a backstory. He doesn't deserve to exist. He's one of the worst character creations to come out of New 52.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

bobkatt013 posted:

It is in every universe he is a dick.

But we at least learn that 616 Reed Richards is a dick who loves his family, which is the one thing keeping him from turning evil.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

bobkatt013 posted:

But what Zod?

New52 Zod: Now with more lines in his costume!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

ufarn posted:

Can't wait to see whom they ship him with.

Supergirl. She just can't help from hooking up with the bad boys!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yeah, I'll give it a shot.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Is Superboy still garbage? I love Conner Kent and that Lemire book was A+ for me. I imagine none of that possible exists anymore?

The Superboy you know and love no longer exists. The current Superboy is a clone, and he may call himself Conner, but that's it.

They can do whatever they want with his title, nothing is going to fix it. This character is one of the New 52 revisions that got messed up the worst. There is no saving it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Semper Fudge posted:

So anyone notice that the majority of walk-offs seem to happen almost exclusively under Eddie Berganza's titles, nowadays?

I've been toying with the idea of doing deep research on this exact thing, but that's a story for another thread.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Bad times coming for Lois Lane.

quote:

We were given hints into the Superman Annual with Scott Lobdell and Dan Jurgans, that it would be primarily Lois centred, but here was a hesitant caution given as to what is done to Lois. “The good news is that she has this brilliant spot light on her and it’s going to be huge, but the bad news is what we do to her is really bad.

This seems to be a common tactic, especially from DC. "You know that character you like? Well, their life is about to become HELL. LITERAL, loving HELL. THEY WILL WISH FOR DEATH, BUT IT WILL NEVER COME."

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
It wouldn't make sense for the Daily Planet to get rid of Lane, even if they have become tabloid. She is a Pulitzer Prize winner. She gives that paper legitimacy.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Ma Kent's moment was really touching. I'm surprised that it almost got to me.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

ImpAtom posted:

God, I hope so. That was one of the best things in Man of Steel.

But she needs superpowers to figure it out?! In the movie, Lois Lane used her one super power: her intelligence.

Baby Broomer posted:

Though I admit it's just 'cause I hate it when Darkseid is thrown into Superman stories for no reason.

Is there something wrong with using Darkseid as opposed to someone else?

(Why are we spoiling things? I thought the rule was, if a comic book is out, then it's not a spoiler?)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

H'el is shaping to be a interesting character and his issue at least has convinced me to pick up the crossover if only to see how the heck they resolved this cliffhanger H'el kills Zod and Jor-El :stare:

That sounds incredibly stupid. Not that I ever had any interest in H'el to begin with.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Space_Butler posted:

Unlettered preview for Action 25 is up and Kuder hits the ground running. Action is back to being the best Superman book.

That's an awful crazy-long neck on page three.

But yeah I might need to pick this up. Greg Pak, good art, Superman, worth a shot. I'm starving for a good DC comic book.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rhyno posted:

Don't forget Pak on Action next issue. Add in B/S, and S/WW and there's suddenly more good Superman books than bad.

Booth is drawing B/S, so for the next three months, we're just... breaking even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rhyno posted:

I'm hoping Pak sticks with T-shirt Superman since we have three other books to follow modern Superman in.

The second story, setting up the next issue, is set in modern day.

• Locked thread