Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is that myth Steel kept referring to well known? I had to look it up.
It seemed to assume you'd already have culturally ingrained knowledge of this steel driver guy, but I guess the story never really left the states.

edit: in the Comixology version I read the shirt looks blue sometimes

but then, not

ee: Here's a screenshot Comicvine had.

Which definitely makes it look like there's been a partial correction in the digital comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Picked up All-Star Superman TPBs today and loving them. Any ideas where I should go after these? I know nothing about Superman besides the movies and cartoon show.

I gotta say I've always been skeptical about Superman. He's just so powerful. But I think if someone can pull off a good story about him, I think it's worth more than a good story about Batman, or almost any other superhero.

The current Action Comics monthly is written by the same guy, so you might wanna try jumping on that.

Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke's Action Comics #775 is my favorite Superman story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%27s_So_Funny_About_Truth,_Justice_%26_the_American_Way%3F

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I like it, but... seriously? The Internet is Brainiac? Between that and "shutting down the internet" in Final Crisis, I'm pretty sure that Morrison is just gonna write the internet as whatever the hell he wants it to be. And I guess I should just learn to deal with silliness in my funnybooks, but it still irks me.

If you haven't read Batman Inc 8, you have no idea.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That couldn't happen unless the pull the plug on the reboot and have everyone wake up from a dream back where we were.
Remember he's starting out in Kryptonian DNA armor and would have to make a conscious decision to move on to cloth and red undies. Where would that come from? He'd have to see a photo of a turn of the century circus strong man and get inspired.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The famous Superman issue 'What's So Funny About Truth Justice and the American Way' and the series it leads to, Justice League Elite are $.99 on Comixology right now.
Buy that first issue. The animated movie won't touch it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

So when did this iteration of Batman see through Supermans disguise? Is there a worlds finest team up i've missed somewhere?

From the last Justice League

e: and Action 10

So the revelation has happened twice, years apart. Oops.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 6, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I have to say I'm pretty pumped to see Krypto.

With art by Travel Foreman!
He's looked like poo poo in Bird's of Prey, but maybe what it takes is for him to be thoughtfully paired with an appropriate colourist.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 9, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Action Comics follows Superman's early years. It began a few months after his emergence, and is now placed at some point early in the Justice League's career about 'five years ago'.
The 'Superman' book is contemporary stories, but it stinks.

In the browser version of Comixology you can preview three pages of any comic once it's on sale, and the week before comics are published DC gives a number of sites short previews of a book each which are collected in the DC blog, ala http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/07/10/tuesday-roundup-july-10th

You could preview pages from the issues in the first Action TPB then order it on Amazon if it looks promising.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 11, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

I would love to see Mark Waid writing Superman, but only if they gave him carte blanche to write the book the way he thinks he ought to.

I doubt this will happen with DC in the shape it's in - Bob Harras is not a man known for his light editorial touch - but it could happen. It does feel like there's a hole in the universe where a classic Mark Waid Superman run should be.

Didn't Perez say most of his job was rushing to edit his stories to keep in line with what world building Morry wasn't letting anyone in on?
If that's the example, they could use some tighter control.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The next author had better be able to pick up what Grant is putting down with the last few pages of concepts. Id hate for the title to turn into a monthly fight and save people book now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

I'm amazed that Grant Morrison got away with referencing the marriage. I wonder if the old universe is as dead as we think it is.

I'm sure it's a logical fantasy future for him to be trapped in.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 2, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fabian's out of nowhere. Maybe he's the new Action author.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Crossover for Superman/Girl/Boy (and not Action) in #14s
Features a grey skinned antagonist wearing a backwards 'S' symbol... :raise:

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/08/10/announcing-hel-on-earth posted:

This fall, there will be an electrifying crossover occurring in SUPERMAN, SUPERBOY and SUPERGIRL. Spanning across all the series’ #14 issues, “H’el on Earth” will put these super-beings into battle with the maniacal alien, H’el.

Written by Tom DeFalco and featuring art by R.B. Silva and Rob Lean, SUPERBOY #14 guest stars Supergirl and the Teen Titans. Fresh from the events of SUPERMAN #13, Superman’s deadliest new foe comes after Kon-El!

Picking up right there, Supergirl too meets the villainous H’el. But what happens when Kara finds herself agreeing with his pro-Krypton/anti-Earth plans? SUPERGIRL #14 is written by Mike Johnson and illustrated by Mahmud Asrar.

And in SUPERMAN #14, written by Scott Lobdell and illustrateed by Kenneth Rocafort, the Man of Steel himself will be forced to come face to face with the gang’s worst nightmare: a creature of unknown Kryptonian origin who is not only more powerful than Superman, but is also smarter than Supergirl and more lethal than Superboy. How will Superman combat a threat of this magnitude? We don’t want to spoil anything so all we can say for now is that his actions will change the course of a planet’s fate!

at the end Superman discovers the villain was talking in opposites and it was all a misunderstanding.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 10, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Holy crap the new Superman run will be gorgeous if nothing else.
http://www.comicvine.com/news/first-look-superman-13-by-lobdell-and-rocafort/145388/

edit: Wasn't there another Superman book where a machine was testing his strength?
ee: Yeah All-Star.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 17, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When was the last time comics used thought bubbles as prominently as Superman 13?
It's cool he's trying something stylistically odd and maybe with appropriately retro style art to go with it'd word better, but boy is that weird to read.

e: Maybe it's how they're so fluffy and placed all over. It's kinda Garfield-ish.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 25, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

(even though I thought he wasn't supposed to be into her in the new 52, but whatever, more lovely writing)

The first issue of Superman ends with Clark going up to Lois' room, catching her boyfriend just wearing a towel and sulks away super-hearing...

e:

SirDan3k posted:

It's almost as if the whole "Not into Lois" was a last minute asspull like half the editorial decisions made so far.

I haven't read Superman since issue 3, but is his getting over her sudden?
She's not interested since issue 1 and now a year and a Wonder Woman smooch later he's going "maybe it's time to let go."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 25, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Now I have no Superman to read at all. drat you DC.

When was the last time you tried Action? If you quit within a few issues, I thought it really jumped off after the collector story. The issues building the anti-Superman army plus the alternate worlds Supermen side story have been a lot more interesting.

e: The halloween issue 13 with Travel Foreman was super dope.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 3, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Snyder Superman could be great whenever that's out. :shrug:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Grant's the best ain't he?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Should I buy the trades now? Because I really love Grant Morrison and how nothing makes sense until you read the last issue.

You might as well wait till it's entirely over so you can read it in one bang.

Flameingblack posted:

Well of course, Volume 2 trades aren't out yet. I'd prefer the whole Morrison one in one collection though.

Not sure if they'd bother collecting 1-17. How long do they take after last issues to put out a collection? Guess you probably wont see the second one for at least three months.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 5, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In terms of what's going on in the comics he's a Kryptonian who shows up and claims he can restore Krypton. Supergirl is way into it, Superman isn't.

He was a student of Supes dad and was sent out to (I think) find a habitable planet, got hosed up and scarred by space rays or something before finding Earth just now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bigass digital Superman sale.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When did Luthor get scarred up and arrested?

edit: Is this his first current day appearance?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 3, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

According to Bleeding Cool, Morrison Action will get an extra issue and Diggle Action will be pushed back a month to #19.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/17/grant-morrison-gets-one-more-issue-of-action-comics/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The title is a reference to not being married to Lois. Each comic is about him having sex with a different superhero/villain.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh my god. Hector Hammond branching out!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

horsepeen posted:

I wonder if Grant Morrison would ever write for Doctor Who. Aside from the Dalek-like Metaleks and the Multitude Angels, the whole finale was pretty timey-wimey.

He did.
http://www.comicvine.com/grant-morrisons-doctor-who/49-23422/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm going to out myself as a dumb retard baby here but I have no idea what happened in Action Comics this month, nor indeed many of the months prior. Just none of it made any sense to me at all.

I was very fine hanging on to the loopdy loop until right this moment. All the 5D craziness has been rocking my poo poo the last few issues, the crazy angels being revealed as a manifestation of an other dimension harpoon attack and all that, but this is gonna require a clearer head than I have right now. Yowza.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He might do okay working under the arc's outline. You can do it Tony!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's just three issues. You can wait for whoever's next. He's probably one of the only people prepared to chuck an arc together in two months notice. If it's at all entertaining, then good on him.

but...
"Hector Hammond, or "Mindstorm," as he is soon going to be known"

Why does Hector Hammond need a persona? The massive head psychic coma guy is a great, different villain.
I haven't read today's Superman, but I love him as an antagonist.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

At least there's nothing to really retcon unless they really, really need to reintroduce Mxyzptlk as a hardened buff badass.
The Fifth Dimension is something that could totally be ignored for another 15 years till some young writer wants to honor Morrison. It'd probably be better that way.

I hope Action ends up a place for authors telling their own stand-alone story arcs while 'Superman' is there to tow the universe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

kdrudy posted:

Redesign looks like a mess. That weird Cable & X-force arm he has is silly.

I bet the rest of his body can robot out like that and that he's not just gonna walk around with a spiky right arm.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sounds like something from the book Supergods by Grant Morrison who followed those ideas up with his New 52 Action Comics run.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 7, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ugh. Superman is going into another crossover according to solicits.
Psy-war with Superman and Superboy.

I've actually not minded these last two issues with Hector Hammond (mainly in contrast to the H'ell stuff), but I was definitely not expecting a story with him to stretch out for months and months across a couple of books.

Anyone read Justin Jordan's first issue of Superboy? Is it promising?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Supergirl 20 was fantastic. One of the best single issues I think I've read since the reboot. This new writer's doing okay.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman this week was really decent. Maybe Lobdel was writing for an artist who was really good at a superhero punch-up, but props. It was really enjoyable.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

While I appreciate the effort, why do that when neither that Superman nor Doomsday are even in the N52? That should have been the AoS variant. Also nobody inks Jurgens like Brett Breeding did, Rapmund just doesn't do it for me.

The covers aren't in continuity. It's part of the 75 Years celebration promotion.
There should've been an electric blue suit one.

e: One has the old checkerboard top :allears:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 30, 2013

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Wait, Off the Chain is $5!? Ugh, I think I'm waiting for the price drop if people suggest it being okay.
Not looking forward to your bonus interview and dumb ugly foldout? Especially digitally?

I thought it stank.
Snyder is weird. I can never count on which one of his books I'll like. I loved The Wake and today's Batman Zero Year issue but this did nothing.

I thought the art was horrible, or at least loving spotty.

edit: Oh, and if you hadn't heard, DC are reducing after two months now instead of one. :(

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

This is my first Superman comic ever

Really? There's a fantastic Superman sale on at Comixology you should check out.
Get All-Star Superman there to start with.

http://www.comixology.com/Superman-Unchained-plus-Sale/comics-collection/1257

• Locked thread