Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Xguard86 posted:

can we talk podcasts? I still haven't found a podcast that is worth listening to regularly. They are either:

1) Total poo poo, or feature a "call in" segment that drags them down to poo poo level.

2) Half the coverage is pro wrestling, which I do not care about and embarrasses me to have anywhere near my local HD.

I think you just summed up the podcast scene as far as mma journalism goes. Ariels MMA hour is pretty good because he has a lot of pull but thats about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

niethan posted:

Claimed he was a Cecil Peoples black belt just fyi

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

http://twitter.com/!/arieIheIwani
password is bluntsandbeer

someone please ruin this

Doesn't work :(

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

gunblade posted:

btw willie, just don't screw it up by writing a billion tweets about James "world's number 1 b-league heavyweigh" Thompson.

I just need to do one really

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Either he gave up his neck or Rogan's comments about Jackson's jiu jitsu being a hidden talent are complete bullshit.

His defense and awareness of that choke were laughable.

For some reason it seems any time he's put in a bad spot whether it was against Machida or Bones his defensive game was utter poo poo.

I don't know and this is the opinion of someone who has trained for maybe 3 months consistently and is just an idiot fan as much as the next poster, but I thought he was giving up the neck.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Grifter posted:

UFC 135 Post Fight: Steven Seagal Turned Away by Jon Jones, Insults Joe Rogan

I can't tell what's more absurd here, promoting Steven Seagal's super martial arts abilities or editorializing about how all martial artists should be Buddha.

Deinfately the idea that Steven Seagul was ever a legitimate martial artisit

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Fair play to who ever spent $10 on my avatar, it's better written than most MMA journalism

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
^ Branding in BJJ: Does Sex Sell?

http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.com/2011/10/branding-in-bjj-what-works.html#more

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

chael sonnen is a coward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xir5HN24e8

He claims Wanderlei was walking with a cane at the time so didn't cause trouble because it was a no win situation.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
The hat makes the understandable face look even more ridiculous.

It's like JT's ear but all over.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Middle Easy had the balls to cover the big non UFC events, such as giving the James Thompson fights decent coverage and being nice about it, they get a thumbs up from me.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Chimney Sweeps Week posted:

I would definitely expect a guy who really cares about MMA to be in very good shape, like the posters here

I legit don't understand the mentality of enjoying/commenting on sports but being obese and not ever participating in any way what so ever in them

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I have a new found respect for even the worst MMA journalists.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

By actually interviewing a real-live fighter you have leapfrogged to the top 1% of the business.

Ha, thanks. I was super nervous about putting myself online like that but jokey comments like that make it feel worth it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

attackmole posted:

First up, JT. Next up, UFC press credentials.

This is the dream.

Actually the dream would be UFC press credentials for James Thompsons first UFC fight!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Save Russian Jews posted:

Wait, where did he post it?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470909

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
http://youtu.be/hJdWNSiknow - Part one of my interview is here on youtube.

Anyone got any advice/tips/comments/criticisms?

Also, how best do I go about getting people to see it? At the moment I am going to post it on Twitter, Reddit, Sherdog, The Underground. Any tips on this front?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
http://colossalconcerns.wordpress.com/ - MMA Journalism by a guy who knows the business of MMA first hand, James Thompson!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Bean Fried posted:

I find it hard to poo poo on FrontRowBrian when major MMA "news" sites give us staff-written articles like this: "Junior dos Santos vs Fedor Emelianenko is the UFC 146 main event to make."

Do you like this story?
FACEBOOK: 1,463 people like this. Be the first of your friends.

Hahahahahaa my motivation to actually do something with sasmma.com grows every day.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I will overwrite the poo poo out of some opinion pieces with the purplest prose and the most danging.

Trust me William, you know I'm a friend.

I will take all submissions gladly when it's up, especicially from you BOXC

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
And I move slowly up the MMA Journalist rankings :feelsgood:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I came very very close to doing something extremely dumb, even for me, in the name of journalistic integrity.

(local event needed a few replacements, one of which I am only 2kg under weight for)

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

Merely being in the presence of JT does not make one a good fighter, if it did cans wouldn't be taking dives for Kimbo.

I had no illusions whats so ever that it would be anything other than "well, either the fights cancelled and the spectators miss a fight, or we get to see some idiot get knocked out in 60 seconds"

But then I would be able to say to other journalists "do you even train?!" and if they do, take it to the next level with "do you even fight!?"

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
You know when Ariel does the pre/post fight interviews, he never seems to interview the loser, or does so very very rarely. Do you think this is because they don't want to talk and if so, would it be rude to even ask for some comments so close to a loss if one is at an event, microphone in hand?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
OK, so I might be getting an all access pass to a fairly large but very C level local show with my and my camera man. If so, I'm going to be interviewing a lot of fighters who I know nothing about and are barely pro, plus any names that happen to be there and the promoter himself.

For the people I know nothing about how is?

"Hi, im Willie_Dee with SASMMA.com here with "xxxxx" who is about to be fighting "yyyyy",

"xxxxx" how has training gone for this upcoming fight?
Do you know much about your opponent and do you have a game plan?
Anything else you would like to say?

Thanks and good luck "xxxxx"!"

Would that be OK, brief and simple?

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 22, 2012

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

Ask them what their game plan is, and then ask them why they just lied to you.

This is genius, but I don't want to get punched. I want to be nice to fighters, I don't like gotchya journalism, especially when I am new and trying to establish a reliable name for myself. I like fighters and I don't like people being mean to them.

red19fire posted:

Can you find out anything about the no-name guys' backgrounds? take notes, and perhaps ask a striker how he's going to handle it on the ground if he's fighting a wrestler, or how his sub defense is against a BJJ-er. Or out-of-the-ordinary training or nutrition techniques.

A little bit of research and preparation would put you head and shoulders above any of the other journalists at the show :allears:

and of course, ask any heavyweights how they think they'll stack up against JT, and correct them, firmly.

Any chance you could tell us which show it is, and where? I'm assuming it's in the UK.

I will be doing as much research as possible, but some of these fighters are amateurs to the point where they are only fighting semi pro still, I would love to give them a chance to get their name out there a bit and feel even more special on their big night by having some internet media idiot (me) interview them with the full film crew schebang (it really does look like I am a legit journalist, my camera crew are the real deal).

I have a few weeks and it might not even happen, I just want to get the basics down and out there for people to comment and criticise, a lot of people on here know what they are talking about and all your comments and suggestions are priceless in terms of helping me figure out how to do this as well as I can with what little experience I have.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Steve Glutenberg posted:

If you're not prepared to do research on the guys and ask them interesting, unique questions, don't bother

I am and have been doing pretty much what Mewse suggested already.

Some of these fighters are either unreachable or are simply not responding back and I don't want to bug them. I am also worried that they may think I am their competition trying to spy on them or something so I don't blame them for not replying or wanting to talk to me.

Posting here for advice is mainly a 3rd resort to doing a pre interview on the night if I can't get any information before hand.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Oh wow, I really appreciate that! I'll look into it but as of right now, I have got a film crew taking a weekend off to do this up coming event and I'm paying their expenses, I would love to do that event but it is probably very unlikely being international and at such short notice. At present I am putting all my spare time into the one event at a time, I am very new at this and taking things slowly.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Tonight was super successful, it's 6am and I jus got back, some of the fighters took me to a strip club called platinum lace, it was very strange being sober and bought dances, I remained level headed and tried to turn down a lot but they were pretty insisting, my journalistic integrity remains intact and my girlfriend didn't mind, a good night was had by all.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Jack of Hearts posted:

You are the coolest.

I have a feeling I am the exact opposite of cool and that's why I was so jovially recieved and so much entertainmet was had putting me in the awkward position of having to converse with pretty topless girls who have been told I am the CEO of the group and paid to attack me with various rubbing dance moves without my conscent, but I didn't want to make a scene, so politely accepted, and I don't think politeness is something that the girls get from more regular customers of suh establishments.

The fights were really good and I think my interviews went well, although admitadly some we're a bit awkward at first as I got used to it, it was super nice to be accepted into the scenery and allowed to be involved so much and I don't think I got in the way or caused any problems and the fighters seemed to like being interviewed lots.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

You are the coolest.

I really aren't, I saw some of the footage and played back on the camera itself and I make Jake Shields look positively un-equine

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Is British dental work also hip because then I might be headed for the big time, watch out Ariel Helwani

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

fatherdog posted:

If nothing else, do a google search for the last two or three interviews with the fighter in question, and don't ask anything that was asked in them.

Events been and gone now, only 3 out of the 24 fighters had really done any kind of interview before and 1 of them mysteriously didn't show up. It was a very local card for local people, just great for me to practice everything on, same as for them really.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

gimpsuitjones posted:

Can we see the end result anywhere?

I'm being bought the footage tonight, then im having to edit it, its a long process, and we have 4 hours of video...

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

It loving better be 3D

And make me horse face even worse?! I think not.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

1st AD posted:

willie dee you need to move to california because i would gladly do editing for you (that is my job) and you could find a whole bunch of people to stalk out here.

I considered selling my house and moving to Las Vegas to do it, but the state of the USA immigration is such that I would have to leave the country every 3 months for a few hours to stay within my tourist visa allowance, there is no other way to do it.

I just got Sony Vegas 11, will that do the job?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Man editing is hard and time consuming! So far I edited together this.

http://youtu.be/ZZnTTugYMmQ

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

-Atom- posted:

Just a friendly reminder that Middle Easy continues to be really loving dumb.

Are shape-shifting reptilian aliens infilitrating UFC? Hey, it's a valid question...

Its one of the few sites that gave JT the recognition he deserves. It is also quite satirical from time to time, considering the current state of mma journalism, it gets a pass from me.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Do any goons in here know where I can find out what kind of equipment/software I would need to start a podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Also, I've been rewatching some JT fights. He is the man.

Well you may be interested in a podcast that is in the works to go alongside a certain persons blog.

• Locked thread