Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fig Newton posted:

A. I would not advise an experiment with adding alcohol to cake batter unless I knew more about what the recipe was. What recipe are you using? Baking is not like cooking; in cooking, you can tinker as you go and have a reasonable expectation that it'll come out okay. Baking, however, is more akin to firing rockets--you put all the carefully measured ingredients together, light a match, and keep your fingers crossed. The proportions of ingredients in cake batter are carefully calibrated to interact with each other in very specific, particular ways, and if you don't have much experience with baking cakes and with substituting things in cake batter, then it's really better, and safer, to stick with the recipe, rather than attempt to go off-road.

B. I'm not sure how much of the artificial root beer flavoring that they use in candies would infuse into the vodka, and I'm not sure whether having artificial-root-beer-flavor-infused vodka is a Good Thing. I'm thinking it might taste more like cheap cough syrup, not a good ingredient to have. Also, the amount of actual root beer flavor in a teaspoon of root beer extract is a lot more than the amount of actual root beer flavor you'd eventually get from a teaspoon of vodka. In order to have a commensurate amount of actual root beer flavor, you'd have to have more vodka, which would mess up your liquids.

C. I would personally never, not ever, make a cake using a new, untried recipe for my mother-in-law, especially for such an important occasion as a birthday. I would especially never, not EVER, take that new, untried recipe and tinker with it. No, she would get a standard cake that was by-the-book and according-to-the-recipe, because that way I'd have a reasonable guarantee that it wouldn't come out an inedible mess. Perhaps your MIL is a saint and would only be highly amused at collecting a hilarious anecdote if her daughter-in-law baked her an inedible mess of a birthday cake; if so, you are fortunate.

D. If your intent is to make a root beer flavored cake, there are other recipes out there for that. Many of them put the crushed root beer candies on top, like sprinkles, on frosting.

E. If you're absolutely determined to make the cake whose recipe you have there in your hand, you might be able to substitute any other flavoring or extract--vanilla, maple, peppermint, etc. It depends on the recipe.

F. Googling around, I see that some Wal-Marts carry root beer extract. Check stores for availability. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zatarain-s-Root-Beer-Extract-4-oz/10293256

Where are you?

Oh god yes never try something new for an in-law.

For content's sake though, small amounts of alcohol is fine. What do you think your vanilla extract is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

What about reducing the salsa a bit and then adding it to the crock pot? I don't know - I almost never cook meat, but if that's the primary problem with it, isn't it a pretty easy suggestion that only adds a maximum of ten minutes to the cooking time?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

How do I prevent my nonstick pans from 'popping' in the middle; forming a well or a hill in the middle? I know you don't put them from the flame straight into the water, but it still happens.

Do I need to heat them slowly slowly the first time to "temper" them or what am I doing wrong :(

Yeah in addition to not subjecting them to rapid extremes, you need to make sure that they're reasonably thick in the first place. Thin pans are far more likely to warp like you mean.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Totally subjective. With beef, there is a bit of a trade off: you can have either buttery soft, or a lot of flavor.

GoWithChrist ruined my only decent sauce pot (my pots and pans are a motley collection). There are mountains of black carbon all over the bottom, and they are as hard as concrete.

My usual trick is to soak overnight in a concentrated solution of dish washer detergent, but that did nothing. Anything other then a wire wheel I could try?

Soaking, as dem said, is probably the best method. A good strength hydrogen peroxide solution would work well, too.

If it's high temp safe, toss it in the oven and turn it on a clean cycle. Most of the carbon will flake out after that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

So it's basically anything then. Alright. Well thanks then, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

It's probably the first. It's very unlikely you overkneaded it or let it proof in too hot of a place. Too cold of a place is possible, but I'm guessing you know better than that. How old was your yeast? What sort of yeast was it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Where can I find an industrial-size roll of aluminum foil? I lived with someone over the summer who had one that must have weighed 10 pounds. He'd been using it steadily since he got it years ago (I think he said someone in the industry stole it for him). Where do restaurants get things like that? I'm in Boston, if anyone has a local tip.

http://www.instawares.com/aluminum-foil.0.3.0.htm

http://www.instawares.com/boardwalk-18in-x-1000ft-heavy-duty-aluminum-foil-roll.7126bw.0.7.htm?Ts=0

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=restaurant+aluminum+foil

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Also it looks like that place uses magic negative-weight shipping boxes:

Product Weight 10 lbs
Shipping Weight 8.83 lbs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

Well, it turned out well this time. The recipe said to mix the flour and yeast but instead I put the yeast into the wet ingredients when it cooled to 110 degrees. It activated perfectly.

The yeast (the first time I did it, when it didn't rise) wasn't more than a few days old out of the supermarket. I think it was just a matter of activating the yeast by directly exposing it to wet ingredients first before introducing the flour.

Anyways, have a photo for your help:

ಠ_ಠ

Well, I'm...glad...it...turned out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lyssavirus posted:

Thank you so much for the suggestions, guys. I don't really like the weird slimy thing tofu does in soups I've had at restaurants, so it seems like pan frying is my best bet. I'll probably do a stir fry thing, since that's my go to, "poo poo, what the gently caress am I doing for dinner?" meal. I was also thinking maybe something like this, since that sounds pretty easy, and I think I'd have an easier time getting the boyfriend to eat it like that.
Any suggestions of improvement on the recipe? Would I wan to do the corn/potato starch covering? If I did the dry fry and marinade, could I fry it again for crispiness? Would that be way more effort than it's worth?

edit: I'm willing to make the investment in things I don't have as long as they'll keep for a while, but my current budget for food is about $100 for the rest of the month, and the longer I can make food purchased last, the better.

Hahaha $100 for the rest of the month? That is a large food budget!

Also: try cubing your tofu sometime and lightly coating it with cornstarch, then frying it. It becomes very crispy. Awesome with steamed broccoli and a really flavorful sauce (think soy, chiles, garlic, ginger, honey).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

I really like bread a whole heck of a lot, but I haven't been as successful at getting into the habit of churning out a loaf about once a week as I had hoped. Every now and then I try, but tend to peter after a loaf or two. I think the main problem is that I'm trying to be too fancy with it, so I'm wondering what the most rear end-out lazy loving bread recipe you guys have is, as in something like "throw junk in the mixer for a few minutes, let it rise, bake it." Or is this one off the wiki as close as I'll get? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Basic_bread

My hope is that once I get used to setting aside some time for breadery I'll slowly get better about putting effort into it.

The "no-knead" or "five minute" bread recipes that you'll find with some quick Googling are what you're after. We keep the wet dough in the fridge and bake a loaf every 3 or 4 days, simply because we bake just enough to eat - there's no waste and little work. It's pretty great for your basic I-want-a-sandwich or buttered toast bread...it's even a pretty predictable pizza dough.

The only real downside to it is that everything it makes is pretty similar, texturally, so I still like to make other breads, like rolls or focaccia, from scratch some of the time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Got beaten to it, but sugar's role is limited strictly to taste in mayo. As suggested, add a bit of mustard, which has its own set of emulsifying agents it can bring to the table. Additionally, try using a hand blender for, basically, fail-free mayo making.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

heeebrew posted:

Dietary cholesterol is not a factor for cholesterol levels in your body.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/myth3.htm

Which is completely relevant to the fact that he was talking about saturated fat and didn't bring up dietary cholesterol at all. It's not like coconut milk has it in there, anyway.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Would a metal pot with aluminum foil over the top be a reasonable facsimile of a proper baking vessel to do something like a pot roast or no knead bread? Ovens are essentially unknown where I live, but I got a toaster oven and I have a shallow pot that will fit inside of it. I lack a lid and figure aluminum foil should be good enough, considering how ghetto the entire setup is.

Finding something real and sized to fit in a toaster oven would be a feat, this is probably the best I'm going to do.

Yes. Just fold it tightly over the top to keep steam in.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

Dunno, I feel like onions are the dependable but relatively uninteresting workhorse compared to the sexy racecar driver that is garlic. (When it comes to mushroom.) Or garlic's cousin shallot, who's an action film star. But onions will do.

Stop buying toyotonions then and step it up!

yes posted:

not correct

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Psychobabble posted:

If it were me, I would roast the pumpkin and then just make a stove-top custard, pour it into the pumpkin and then chill it.

^^^^

Especially because you can just add a wee bit of the roasted pumpkin and puree it into your custard to get the same effect you wanted.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

revmoo posted:

Does anyone know if the crockpot Little Dipper can get hot enough for fondue or do I need to prepare it on the stove first and then transfer it?

Is that the little tiny one that they throw in with the big ones sometimes? It gets hot enough to all but burn me, so I assume it'd be fine.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BigLeafyTree posted:

Cooking food unavoidably involves losing some (small?) nutrition loss right?
Is it at a level that I should worry about it, or is it something you just have to accept?
Googling has been a mix of hype for raw food diets and a lot of tables of what breaks down under what conditions, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Don't worry about it. The only nutrition loss that might occur is if you boil the gently caress out of every vegetable you touch.

Cooking actually tends to increase the nutritive value of most foods. It's one of the reasons we're human.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Prep takes a good amount out, though. Peeling carrots is the first thing that comes to mind.

Cleaned well, you can leave them on. I leave my potato skins on for most things. You make a good point, but it's tangential to the idea of cooking itself.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Bah, prep is half of cooking. If you're just talking about chemistry, though, sure.

Except prep varies as much as your method of cooking. I'm not discounting it, I'm saying there are ways to maximize or minimize impacts.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just +1-ing and expanding on this. There is much postulation in the scientific community that cooked food is what made us evolve. As mentioned, cooking actually makes the nutrients more biologically available (crack pot rawfoodist never talk about the physiology of nutrient absorption, they only talk about nutrients in whole foods which is moot because really it doesn't matter if your body can't absorb it efficiently). In addition, there is belief that early humans spend much of their day chewing because, well raw, pure food isn't exactly easy to eat. Because food is made softer and easier to chew, we spent less of our time and brain on chewing and more on developing skills and cognition. Even raw foodists rely heavily on food processors, blenders, and juicers.

Precisely, and this was exactly my point.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

On the topic of raw vs. cooking, is there a significant health benefit (or detriment) regarding raw or cooked oats?

I like to eat some raw steel cut oats with various nuts, seeds and dried fruit some mornings, especially on weekends before I go do something outdoors. I use raw oats for the taste and quick prep time, but I've heard many people espouse the virtues of raw oatmeal for health reasons. I usually ignore those people, but now after reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if I would be better served cooking the oats.

Yes, you aren't going to get much nutrition out of raw oats, as compared to cooked oats.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Good lord, don't raw steel cut oats break your teeth?

They aren't so hard as that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

In re winter sandwiches:

gently caress soup. Butter some bread. Slather on a scoop or two of mashed potatoes, pour gravy over. Top with some protein.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Is a soup in a bread bowl a sandwich?

What about a pot pie?

A sandwich needs to be at least a little-bit pick-uppable. Messy is okay. Soup fails this qualification, since you can't pick up a soup-filled sandwich.

A sandwich needs to have removable bread pieces. If you baked the crust in two pieces, then smeared some cooked pie filling into two halves and smashed it together, that would be a sandwich. Else, no.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

An open faced sandwich fails this, too.

That is at least classified as an 'open-faced' sandwich. And most use two pieces of bread. You could just flip it over and pick it up. Some would fall out but certainly not to the same extent as an actual soup.

Now, you could do what my sister and I did as a kid with chili or vegetable soup - which was to crunch enough crackers up in the dish until it became a paste, and then pile it all between bread.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Additionally, upping the lemon juice or vinegar or whatever acid a tad can make a big difference, too, surprisingly.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wusses. I do it with a whisk. But I never measure anything, so when I have enough I always have to adjust for thickness and flavor.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I've seen people make mayo with just a yolk and oil, and the result is often this thin goopy mess because there isn't enough water to form a proper emulsion.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

Let's try to keep the puns at bay

Let's not get caraway'd, here, okay?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nwin posted:

Anyone have a good pumpkin pancake recipe? I need some fluffy pancakes as I've received complaints from the wife about the red mill mix I used in the past being too heavy and not fluffy enough...

Bump up the baking powder and whisk in some whipped egg whites to lighten it up.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The one I make I put in a muffin tin and it makes exactly 12, takes a cup of everything.

1c flour
1c cornmeal
1c buttermilk
1c corn (I just use frozen corn kernels and add them to the dough still frozen)
.5-.67c sugar
.25c butter
2 eggs
.25tsp baking soda
.25tsp salt
2tsp baking powder

I put it all in the mixer and mix for 30 seconds to a minute on high. Comes out fine, isn't tough. Dump into greased muffin tin, bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes, or until knife inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

I've heard milk+vinegar or lemon juice is a reasonable substitution for buttermilk in a pinch. Does it work well?

Yes, but there's no need 99% of the time - it isn't going to taste like buttermilk, which is most of the point.

Just sub out for your regular milk, drop the soda, and maybe add (or not) a bit extra baking powder. Between the powder and the bits of butter, you'll still get lift.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dino. posted:

You've got that backwards, love.

http://www.examiner.com/article/northern-cornbread-versus-southern-cornbread-with-add-ideas

In the South, one would make corn bread from ... cornmeal. They didn't have access to wheat flour as much as they did in the North. Even after the railroads opened up the vast wheat fields of the Midwest, and sent the wheat flour back East, it didn't really trickle down South until a while later. New Englanders didn't like the dense corn pone eaten in the South. So they added eggs, flour, and sugar to the thing, making a cake, instead of a staple food. The South still preferred a savoury cornbread.

I wouldn't ordinarily know about this thing, but I had JUST gotten done listening to an America's Test Kitchen podcast where Chris Kimball explained this very thing.

Who the gently caress buys self-rising cornmeal?! I have never in my life even heard of this.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

I need some filling recommendations for vol au vent I'm making for Thanksgiving dinner appetizers.

Going to do escargot with thyme for a set of 8--other ideas?

Mushroom.

mich posted:

The South has both. Often the unsweetened cornbreads are fried as johnny cakes and the sweetened ones are baked and may be eaten with just some butter and/or honey. It's not a strict rule though.

Yes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Solve a stupid argument for me? A friend of mine and I were discussing the different methods of cooking squid, and he told me that squid and calamari are two different animals? I always thought that they were the same thing.
Your friend is a moron. Calamari is just the Italian plural for squid.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fraction posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for butternut squash soup? I'm hoping to make some tomorrow, as I got a couple of cheap squashes.
Roast or microwave (microwaving is super easy) the squash, and blend it with coconut milk, your broth of preference, and some curry spices. Delicious.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fraction posted:

You can microwave squash? Is that just like a speedy version of roasting it?

By broth do you mean like those broth packets that are sold, or just veg & liquid?

Yeah, you can, just like almost any vegetable. Just cut it in half, scrape out the schmutz (or wait and do it later, whatever), and put it face down in a pan or something. Cover it with plastic wrap (it's fine in the microwave) and microwave for something like ten minutes or until fork soft. Then you can use it however you want. I use the microwave a lot as a short cut to speed up cooking other veg, too - like for roasted sweet potato, I'll cut things up, microwave them a bit, then toss them in oil and roast. Or when cubing potatoes for skillet breakfast hash, etc.

I used broth and stock interchangeably, which is perhaps a bad idea. I mean whatever stock you want. I would use veggie stock, but I don't eat meat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm planning to do a turkey in a slow cooker, something I've never done before. Any tips, advice or similar? I've been advised to have ~1 inch of water at the bottom is that about right?

Are there any good links for slow cooker cooking?
I have done turkey breasts in a crock pot, before. I rubbed a compound butter beneath the skin, set it in the pot, and drizzled some olive oil on top, then liberally sprinkled some salt and pepper on it. Then just put the lid on top and cook until done. I didn't add any water.

You may want to crisp the skin in the oven or beneath the broiler afterward.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ra-amun posted:

I don't have archives, could someone grab the bulgolgi recipe for me?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440988

Here you go:

http://cl.ly/3v24062z3Q0S

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Toebone posted:

I bought some frozen green beans last night and accidentally left them on the counter overnight. Should they still be ok to cook with? They smell fine.

Yes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Also I want to point out that a lot of gws people hang out in IRC all day. If you have some sort of time-sensitive Thanksgiving disaster question, pop in and see if someone can help!

http://mediaphage.net/foodchat.html

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a trick to making mayonnaise with an immersion blender?

I add everything, press the blender down on the bottom and slowly move it around to incorporate the oil, but seemingly randomly it will break and I can't figure out why.

I can make mayonnaise both by hand and by slowly incorporating the oil into the IB so I know how to do it, but the IB with all the oil in it to start is giving me trouble.

Do you pulse or run it? How fast do you incorporate the oil? Do you lift it off the bottom or just roll it around? Can you over-blend it an cause it to break? Am I just missing some critical part that I'm not getting from YouTube videos? Should I use a specific oil for better results? Does any of this even matter and I'm just bad at IB mayonnaise?

Did you add any lemon juice or vinegar or anything? Might not have enough water.

syntaxfunction posted:

I have found I can not stand butter in any application you can directly taste or smell it. For instance, cakes are fine, but melting butter for a roux makes me want to retch. An exception to this is buttercream. I think maybe because I don't melt it?

Anyway, I was brought up using margarine not butter so I just substitute that for pretty much any recipe calling for butter. I have done tests of butter versus margarine foods and can either not tell the difference or prefer margarine.

Am I weird for this and am I missing out on a crucial taste? I just want nice food but the smell and taste of cooked butter disgusts me. Is it an acquired taste?

Yes, you're just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ahahah, oh dear. Cook the tomatoes until mushy, then press them through a sieve. Honestly, you could skip this step if you have a decent hand blender; I rarely bother getting all of the tomato skins out of the sauce. It's just to make your sauce smoother.