Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I bought a box of broken lasagne noodles at the store for 30 cents today thinking I could figure out something to use them for. Ideas for a bachelor-level beginner? I'm ok throwing it in with a bunch of spaghetti or alfredo sauce, chicken or ground beef, spices, and cheeses, or whatever else I have in the pantry/fridge but I'd rather not run out to the store again for fresh veggies (I have none; I always use maybe a third of one and have to throw it away when it inevitably goes bad 2 days later). Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Hi food people. Food poisoning question! Apparently I left my leftovers on the counter last night instead of putting them in the fridge. My boyfriend found them this morning and just put them in the fridge without notifying me. I ate them - it was a chicken caesar salad. The fact that eating salad+dressing mushy leftovers is gross aside, what's my likelihood of puking uncontrollably today? Thanks!

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Cowcatcher posted:

If it's store-bought dressing, then there's 0 chance of actually hurting you. It's processed "mayo" full of preservatives and cooked chicken, you'll be fine.

Unless you made the dressing yourself, then you have raw eggs sitting outside all night, you should probably stock up on TP.

Nah, from a restaurant (The Cheesecake Factory anyone happens to know if they make their own dressing which I doubt). I was mostly worried about the chicken, but yes it was cooked so I guess I'm good to go.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Is there a crock-pot/slow-cooker thread somewhere? Husband and I are trying to find some diet-friendly* recipes online and every time I think I find something promising that sounds yummy, the comments are all over the place about how it's good/bad, watery, needs more/less time, etc.

If no thread, I'd love suggestions of either specific recipes or whole sites you like to pull from. :)

*not a specific diet, mostly just a "let's cut some calories because we're getting jiggly"-diet.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Kalista posted:

Why slow-cooker/crock pot specifically? Veggies, which are or should be the better part of your diet if you're really trying to watch calories, don't do well in a slow-cooker, unless you like mush.
Honestly, we used our 2-year-old wedding-gift crockpot for the first time on Valentine's Day to make pulled pork and it was really delicious. We kind of just said "why don't we use this thing more often!!" and started brainstorming. Some of the recipes I've looked at had you cook the meat/sauce in the pot, and then steam some broccoli or whatever to serve with it (sesame chicken, honey-garlic chicken, and other Chinese-takeout sounding dishes)

I am also notoriously bad at drying out any chicken I try to make on the grill/stove, and my husband (who grew up on fast food and restaurants) seems to be getting tired of my attempts and wants to eat out all the time instead. :( I thought the crockpot might be my chicken savior.

KettleWL posted:

There are literally entire websites devoted to these kinds of recipes
[snip]
But hopefully these are good for you?

I have looked at so many recipe websites I've started to have trouble telling the difference between ones that are really a family-favorite hit recipe versus Pinterest-clickbait ones.
That first one you listed sounds delicious, I will save that one to my new recipe folder. :)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm a cooking beginner who is following a recipe that looked tasty. If it calls for "2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast (sirloin roast)" and I can't find something named that at my grocery store, are there other word phrasings of that cut that I can look for and still walk out with the same thing?

I asked the employee nearest to me and she said she didn't see one, but recommended one that says "pork loin top loin roast" but now I'm not sure if that's even from the same approximate area of the pig. It's already in the slow cooker so I guess we'll see how it turns out in 4 hours.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Tendales posted:

Pork loin is a different cut. Shoulder is working muscle, loin is more tender muscle from along the body. Usually you want to cook loin more gently, it tends to dry out if overcooked.

Different names for pig shoulder. These may or may not be technically different cuts, but they're from the same area of the animal and can be used for similar jobs.

Pork shoulder
Pork butt
Boston butt
Fresh picnic
Picnic roast

You want something that looks more or less like this

Perfectly helpful, thank you! It did turn out dry. Womp womp. It's all a part of the learning process I suppose.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Any recommendations for best Instant Pot model? Any info appreciated: favorite features, features that annoy you, the buttons suck, "don't buy this stupid fad electronic," etc.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Just get the 8qt. I have often wanted more space in my pressure cooker, but never less.

Ok. But Lux, Duo, Duo Plus, Smart, or Ultra? I am thinking Duo vs Duo Plus, the difference being ability to make eggs, cake, and sterilize, but the site I was reading about them says you can do eggs/cake in a Duo just fine, there's just no button.

E: Oh wait, I think Duo is the only one that comes in 8qt. I suppose that settles that!

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 1, 2017

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I need a recommendation for a deep pot (Dutch oven or similar) so that I can throw away the Teflon coated one that came with my pot set. Primarily I need something that won't be damaged by an immersion blender. My brief amazon search showed a lot of enamel coated cast iron. I'm not sold on cast iron due to its weight; are there other options I can consider?

For more info, I have an electric glass cooktop and plan to make a lot of soups and chilis in it. Dishwasher safe is a plus because I am lazy.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

spankmeister posted:

Just get a stainless steel one.

(Sorry for late reply) Are there generally better brands than others (or buzzwords to put in my search terms) or are all stainless pots pretty much the same?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

PatMarshall posted:

All clad is the gold standard, but pricey. Look for a pot that is at least triple ply on the bottom if you don't want to shell out for fully clad. I have a Cuisinart multi clad pro that I've used for 15 years that I quite like.

Thank you! That pointed me toward this one which I think will be nice, and the outer color will help it to match my existing set.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Novice cooker, be gentle for I have dumb questions.

I'm transcribing old family recipes from recipe cards to digital copies, and correcting little bits as I go for clarity. There's a BBQ brisket recipe that calls for half a "medium onion" thinly sliced and placed on top before baking. The other ingredients are just Liquid Smoke and seasoning salt. Is this onion probably intended to be a white onion, yellow onion, or doesn't matter? My gut says if it's unspecified it usually means white, but just checking for a more experienced opinion or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Baking novice here... I bake this pumpkin bread recipe a couple times every fall. It's delicious but a little dense. Is there something I can add to make it a little lighter/fluffier? An egg white? Or maybe just beat the butter/sugar/egg mix a little longer?