Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

My Lovely Horse posted:

I bought a probe thermometer the other day. I was just after something to measure the temperature inside my oven and, since they had separate oven and meat thermometers, asked the guy if there was any difference, like did the meat thermometers have a probe that actually had to be in contact with anything. Oh no, he said, they're all the same and they just measure their immediate surroundings, air or solid, I could even take my own temperature with one. I replied that was good to know but I'd probably like to get a separate one for that.

That's mainly true, but some designs have a harder time measuring air temperature, because it's pretty localized and depends on convection to get an accurate reading. Larger resistors (well, ones that come into contact with more air, that is) are better at reading your oven temp, but small instant read ones will still work. Thermoworks even makes one for air with a slotted tip to allow air to pass through and get a reading from a larger area. I bought an oven thermometer for $5 from Tuesday Morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to ask around for recipes on slow cooker pork belly. I can do an adobo just fine, but I tried this pulled-pork recipe from youtube and it was way hella too spicy.

I made this and liked the flavor. If I do it again, I'll make it a day ahead and then crisp in a pan before serving as suggested at the bottom.

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-pork-belly-beer-braise/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thank you for the meat thermometer advice :kimchi:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Any recommendations for best Instant Pot model? Any info appreciated: favorite features, features that annoy you, the buttons suck, "don't buy this stupid fad electronic," etc.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

drat Bananas posted:

Any recommendations for best Instant Pot model? Any info appreciated: favorite features, features that annoy you, the buttons suck, "don't buy this stupid fad electronic," etc.

Just get the 8qt. I have often wanted more space in my pressure cooker, but never less.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Just get the 8qt. I have often wanted more space in my pressure cooker, but never less.

Ok. But Lux, Duo, Duo Plus, Smart, or Ultra? I am thinking Duo vs Duo Plus, the difference being ability to make eggs, cake, and sterilize, but the site I was reading about them says you can do eggs/cake in a Duo just fine, there's just no button.

E: Oh wait, I think Duo is the only one that comes in 8qt. I suppose that settles that!

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 1, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
really depends on your shelf/storage space. I couldn't reasonably store an 8qt anywhere so I got the 6qt

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

drat Bananas posted:

Ok. But Lux, Duo, Duo Plus, Smart, or Ultra? I am thinking Duo vs Duo Plus, the difference being ability to make eggs, cake, and sterilize, but the site I was reading about them says you can do eggs/cake in a Duo just fine, there's just no button.

E: Oh wait, I think Duo is the only one that comes in 8qt. I suppose that settles that!

99% of the time you're going to press manual and then the number of minutes and that's it.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I've made this pressure cooker beef and broccoli recipe before: https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-beef-and-broccoli/

It's pretty good but it has too much of a soy sauce taste, and I think beef and broccoli could use some oyster sauce in the recipe. The recipe calls for half a cup of light soy sauce. But I'm not sure how much to reduce the soy sauce and how much oyster sauce to add to the recipe.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Reduce the soy sauce by a glug, and possibly try up to a slosh of oyster sauce.

Both measurements are metric, sorry I don’t know the imperial equivalent.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I have a marinade for roast I really like, and the roast I make is made in a cast iron dutch oven.

Delicious.

However I'm getting tired of buying jars of pickles just for the pickle juice that is needed for the marinade. Are there alternatives to buying jars of pickles just for the juice? Can the same effect be had with non-concentrated vinegar?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I feel like I'm in a food rut right now. I'm struggling to find new/interesting things to cook, and my usual rotation of stir fries, curries, and pasta is getting pretty stale. What do yall do generally when you need fresh cooking inspiration? This happens kind of regularly for me, and I'm not getting better at getting out of it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Captainsalami posted:

Anyone got a good tuna salad recipe? Something i can whip up before work would be good, just mayo is boring.

i use finely diced shallot, squirt of dijon, splash of fish sauce (or L&P), ground pepper, celery and add mayo till it's creamy but not too creamy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When a recipe just bluntly calls for sake, it means just regular old drinking sake (especially if it also explicitly asks for Mirin, too) right?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I bought an Instant Pot last month and I've made a few things in it, but I haven't made pulled pork in it yet. It's the first pressure cooker I've ever owned. I bought a pork shoulder today because I think it will fit in the (6-quart) IP. The pork shoulder is just shy of 9 pounds, so I'm assuming it's bone-in. Normally I buy this exact thing, put a dry rub on it overnight, and roast in a roasting pan in the oven for ~6 hours until it comes to temp. Assuming it fits and I'm not delusional, some questions:

1. Do I need to de-bone this thing before pressure cooking it?

2. Normally I would score the fatcap before putting the dry rub on, but trim off any excess fat. Is that still the thing to do?

3. Do I need/want to brown it before pressure cooking it? If so, will it be worse if I brown in a skillet instead of the IP?

4. I assume that, like everything else, I will want to just hit manual/high and enter a time. (I know this was mentioned earlier on this page as well.) How long do I want to cook this for?

All the recipes I see call for boneless roasts between 2 and 5 pounds. I have never seen a boneless pork shoulder roast or any pork shoulder even in the neighborhood of that small in any grocery store in my area, which is not exactly the middle of nowhere. I am aware that it may be variously labeled "pork shoulder," "pork butt," or "Boston butt," and I've seen those different labels but no difference in what's in the plastic. I don't really understand why my experience with this is so different from, apparently, the rest of the Internet's.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

guppy posted:

3. Do I need/want to brown it before pressure cooking it? If so, will it be worse if I brown in a skillet instead of the IP?

You'll want to brown it in a skillet at that size, more because the sides of the pot will become annoying while trying to move the roast around than because there's anything wrong with the saute function.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

guppy posted:

I bought an Instant Pot last month and I've made a few things in it, but I haven't made pulled pork in it yet. It's the first pressure cooker I've ever owned. I bought a pork shoulder today because I think it will fit in the (6-quart) IP. The pork shoulder is just shy of 9 pounds, so I'm assuming it's bone-in. Normally I buy this exact thing, put a dry rub on it overnight, and roast in a roasting pan in the oven for ~6 hours until it comes to temp. Assuming it fits and I'm not delusional, some questions:

1. Do I need to de-bone this thing before pressure cooking it?

2. Normally I would score the fatcap before putting the dry rub on, but trim off any excess fat. Is that still the thing to do?

4. I assume that, like everything else, I will want to just hit manual/high and enter a time. (I know this was mentioned earlier on this page as well.) How long do I want to cook this for?

All the recipes I see call for boneless roasts between 2 and 5 pounds. I have never seen a boneless pork shoulder roast or any pork shoulder even in the neighborhood of that small in any grocery store in my area, which is not exactly the middle of nowhere. I am aware that it may be variously labeled "pork shoulder," "pork butt," or "Boston butt," and I've seen those different labels but no difference in what's in the plastic. I don't really understand why my experience with this is so different from, apparently, the rest of the Internet's.

I'm pretty sure it won't fit in the 6qt IP, at least when I tried it my pork shoulder of about the same weight did not fit. If it does not fit I would recommend deboning and doing two halves or pieces. And yeah, you are going to want to score the fat cap still and brown it in a separate pan, mostly because the IP does not have enough surface area on the bottom of the pot to fit the larger surfaces of a large pork shoulder.

What I ended up doing was deboning and cutting the whole thing into large-ish chunks and cooking it in an asian style sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, black bean paste, sake vinegar, some sugar, crushed and minced garlic and ginger and some chicken stock then finished at the end with some lemon juice to brighten it. Served it with steamed vegetables and rice, it was very nice.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Remember to deglaze the pan you use and pour the resulting liquid into the pressure cooker. You probably know that, but I've seen someone just put the pan in the sink to soak and it's heartbreaking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pro tip: because the instant pot's inner pot is steel you can brown in it directly on the stove and then transfer it to the instant pot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
FYI, recipe cooking times for pork roasts are all over the place, anywhere from 45-90 minutes. I go 2 hours on high. Anything less and the center of the roast doesn't get tender. And actually I'm going to cut them into chunks from now on so they cook quicker and more evenly.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

walruscat posted:

I've made this pressure cooker beef and broccoli recipe before: https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-beef-and-broccoli/

It's pretty good but it has too much of a soy sauce taste, and I think beef and broccoli could use some oyster sauce in the recipe. The recipe calls for half a cup of light soy sauce. But I'm not sure how much to reduce the soy sauce and how much oyster sauce to add to the recipe.

I guess you could compare the sodium in oyster/soy sauce and kind of work from there. As in, the total sum of sodium from oyster sauce + soy sauce should be like 3/4 what you have now (or however much you want to reduce it).

I'd guess 1:1 to 1:3 oyster:soy would be about right. I've made noodle dishes with about 1:1 before, but it depends on how much you want oyster sauce.

Edit: And I think oyster sauce commonly has thickeners in it, so you may need to play around with the thickening. I'm not sure if it's enough to really mess it up or not though.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 3, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is rice wine/rice vinegar the same thing?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tired Moritz posted:

Is rice wine/rice vinegar the same thing?

Nope. Vinegar in general is made from wine, the rice varieties no exception. The alcohol in the wine gets re-fermented to form acetic acid, which gives the sour taste. I'm sure various other flavor compounds get formed in the process, so even removing the alcohol and adding equivalent amount of acid wouldn't give quite the same flavor profile.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

walruscat posted:

When I do beef and gai lan or whatever I do something like a 2:1 oyster sauce to light (as opposed to dark, e.g. not lite) soy, a pinch of sugar, dash of sesame oil, and enough stock to get whatever consistency I'm after. Alternately just going with some Shaoxing and a pinch of sugar works as well. In either case some ginger is a good addition to the garlic.

No idea if this is what you want. That recipe---stir fry in a pressure cooker with olive oil and brown sugar---is pretty solidly in the American strip mall Chinese tradition. Which is cool if that's what you're after, but if that's what you're after you're probably not going to be happy with Shaoxing and ginger or whatever.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks for the pork shoulder answers. So, debone and cut into chunks to make it fit, score fatcap and leave on, brown. Cook for 2 hours on high -- is that if it's all one piece, or in ~3-4 chunks? (Or is it the same?) I would think cutting it into chunks would reduce the time required. And no, it would not have occurred to me to deglaze the skillet, so definitely worth mentioning.

I usually make pork shoulder without a ton of spices because I like to freeze it in 2-cup quantities and take it out as needed to use in different cuisines. Some becomes tacos, some goes on kaiser rolls with barbecue sauce, that kind of thing.

EDIT: It definitely did not fit, I cut it down into pieces. I cooked about 2/3 of it for 75 minutes on high (after coming to pressure) and it seems to have been more than enough time. Next time I would probably try an hour.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 3, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I do bone in shoulder that I want to serve for company or something, I almost always do a braise for, like, 6 hours or more and then do a quick high heat roast on top to get the fat cap all nice and crispy. I always leave the bone in.

Otherwise, I'll put the whole thing in the crock pot (again, another braise) and leave it overnight and then enjoy my meat shreds for the next few days.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I have a rice cooker question, and the japanese cooking thread seems pretty inactive. Since I utilize and enjoy rice quite a bit, I'm going to take the plunge, and invest in a good pressure/induction heating rice cooker. The two main brands seem to be Cuckoo and Zojirushi. Strangely, I can't really find any head to head comparisons, and I was wondering if anyone here had that experience. Just hearing about the quality of Cuckoo in general would be nice, since it seems relatively new and thus has way less information compared to Zojirushi.

The rice cookers I'm looking at purchasing are:
1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QYC60S/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

2. https://www.amazon.com/Cuckoo-Elect...e%2Bcooker&th=1

The Cuckoo seems to have a few more options, such as self-steam cleaning. I've heard nothing but good things from reading online, but the amount of information/reviews available pale in comparison to Zojirushi, which is a more well known brand.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got a couple of yellowfin tuna steaks on the cheap yesterday and was planning to grill them today. How would you recommend that I prep them?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Normally I'll make the entirety of my chicken tikka masala in the Instant Pot, but this time I'm thinking of coating the cubed chicken breast in olive oil and tikka masala powder, skewering them with wooden skewers, then putting it in the oven at 200 degrees celsius for 20 minutes, turning it over 10 minutes through.

Would I be able to throw these into the Instant Pot after the 20 minutes and cook at high pressure for a further ten minutes, or is there no point? I don't want the chicken to be too dry and was hoping the 10 minutes extra cooking in the curry sauce would make them succulent and moist. I was planning on cooking the curry base itself for 20 in the IP at high pressure to really melt everything into one (the onions, tomatoes, ginger, curry powder).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Q8ee posted:

Normally I'll make the entirety of my chicken tikka masala in the Instant Pot, but this time I'm thinking of coating the cubed chicken breast in olive oil and tikka masala powder, skewering them with wooden skewers, then putting it in the oven at 200 degrees celsius for 20 minutes, turning it over 10 minutes through.

Would I be able to throw these into the Instant Pot after the 20 minutes and cook at high pressure for a further ten minutes, or is there no point? I don't want the chicken to be too dry and was hoping the 10 minutes extra cooking in the curry sauce would make them succulent and moist. I was planning on cooking the curry base itself for 20 in the IP at high pressure to really melt everything into one (the onions, tomatoes, ginger, curry powder).

Why do you want to cook the chicken separately?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Why do you want to cook the chicken separately?

I'm tired of the texture cooking it in the curry creates. I always make my curries that way. I'd really love to get a bit of charring on the chicken for some extra depth of flavour, hence the 200c oven adventure.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Q8ee posted:

I'm tired of the texture cooking it in the curry creates. I always make my curries that way. I'd really love to get a bit of charring on the chicken for some extra depth of flavour, hence the 200c oven adventure.

In that case I would suggest that you brown the chicken in a pan instead of the oven, you will get a much better crust that way. If you do this then you should make sure to use thighs instead of breasts, they hold up to heavy cooking much better and the extra fat helps in browning them. You can also deglaze the pan with a little chicken stock after browning the chicken and add that to the rest of the mixture in the IP, that will add some extra depth of flavor to the sauce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The solution, as always, is to USE CHICKEN THIGH AND STOP GIVING ANY FUCKS

One day i'm gonna see if it's possible to at all over-cook a chicken thigh to inedibility, short of setting on fire for an extended period of time. That'll be a fun thread.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I dunno, I've tried chicken thigh in the past, I really wanted to break out of my chicken breast comfort zone, but even cooked in the IP, the drat thing still had a slight rubbery texture. I also don't have any thighs on hand, was just gonna throw this all together quickly with what I've currently got in the kitchen.

I guess tonight I'll just do it the same way I always do. Was looking forward to some charred goodness on the chicken.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Chicken thighs are awesome. The only way to duck them up is not cooking long enough.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Q8ee posted:

Would I be able to throw these into the Instant Pot after the 20 minutes and cook at high pressure for a further ten minutes, or is there no point? I don't want the chicken to be too dry and was hoping the 10 minutes extra cooking in the curry sauce would make them succulent and moist.
I think the meat would be overcooked after that much. The muscle fibres will contact and squeeze out fluid, so you'll end up with meat that's wet and fibrous instead of juicy and tender. Probably do it the way the other posters have said already.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You could cube the chicken, dry with a paper towel, toss in a bit of corn starch, then brown the cubed chicken breast off (not enough to cook through, just high and fast to get a good crisp on), freeze them solid, and then add them to the curry to cook. But that would probably take too long for dinner tonight, unless you have access to liquid nitrogen.

But hey, you could batch cook a few pounds of cubed chicken breast, freeze into meal portions, then curry them as needed. Or chicken parm. Ooh, mm.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If the kitchen in my apartment was bigger, I'd get a really deep chest freezer. Then on the weekends, I could go crazy with the free time I have and cook a bunch of different stuff and freeze it all. I remember my parents got me one as a homewarming gift when I first moved out 5 years ago, and my mum stayed with me for a couple of weeks and fully stocked it. I had months-worth of food ready to whip out and reheat, it was amazing.

As it stands, my current kitchen is way too tiny, can't fit anything more in without jamming the door or making it impossible to move about in. So I've got a half-size fridge / freezer and the freezer only has enough space for about 8 square tupperware containers. It's rough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Every time I've ever regretted not studying harder in school, it had to do with kitchen space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Every time I've ever regretted not studying harder in school, it had to do with kitchen space.

I've told myself that I'll know I have made it in life if I end up with one of those big, spacious kitchens with a central island and plenty of workspace. Not how big my house is, or how big my yard is, or how flashy my car is. No, I'll know I've made it in life when I have an incredible kitchen.