Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

Awesome thanks

My dad just uses his regular pickling spice mix, too. I don't think he uses that much sugar, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

big black turnout posted:

This is what I use, adapted from Alton

Creamed Corn Cornbread

Ingredients
1-cup yellow, stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup white, finely ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 1⁄2 cup creamed corn
2 tablespoons corn oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 425°F Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.
In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.
In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly.
Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to the batter.
Add 2 tablespoons oil to the cast iron skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.

I want to like this, because it seems like a Southern lad like Alton Brown should know a thing or two about cornbread.

But... Creamed Corn? Like, canned creamed corn? Yech, that poo poo is nasty.
Is that considered a pantry staple down South? I associate it with nasty public school lunches.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pile of brown posted:

Recipes that use less than a standard size of a canned ingredient can eat my rear end. I wanna mail sunset magazine every half can of tomato paste

I've been meaning to find it in the tooth paste tubes you see on TV, but I keep buying the same old cans because I'm a creature of habit.

Sometimes a Tablespoon or two is all you really need. I just put plastic wrap on the can and keep it in the fridge.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How do you buy a pineapple?

I saw some voodoo BS on Facebook about how to ripen pineapples, and I realized that mere fact that I was entertaining doing it was proof that I know nothing about buying ripe pineapples. The woman likes pineapple, so lately I've been buying them regularly, but I never get good ones.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hmm, I've been squeezing... trying to find the exact right level of give. I'll start sniffing butts instead.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Here is a really interesting article about why Hershey’s tastes like sick.

In essence, it’s to do with milk preservation and getting it into GI’s field rations during the war.

Damint, beat me to it. Yeah, not quite puke, but sour milk. It's faint though, I'm pretty sure most of the population can't taste it.

Apparently it's quite jarring if you've grown up on Cadbury Dairy Milk.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I really need to try a hersheys bar, I am very intrigued by the taste descriptions...

It takes away from the creamy; real British Cadbury Dairy Milk just seems so much creamier in comparison.

Really, though, if you want to poo poo on American chocolate, we do MUCH worse then Hersheys. Most embarrassing is the "chocolaty coating" on some candy bars, cookies and ice cream bars, it barely even resembles chocolate.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Or the 'chocolate' on protein bars. What even is that? Brown wax and cyanide?

The one that gets me is this:

I'll never understand the enduring popularity of Keebler Elf cookies, they are all poo poo.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: I would be fine if more businesses clearly broadcasted their political beliefs like Penzey's does.

No, you wouldn't be, because 97% of them are hardcore Trumpers and/or religious assholes, like Home Depot or Chik FIl A.

nwin posted:

I don’t care about which side you affiliate with.

With numerous friends and family members at risk, being apolitical is a luxury I cannot afford. :colbert:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

This might be a dumb question.

No, that's my job. I've asked some really dumb poo poo over the years. :haw:

I was wondering if I could/should decade and cook a link and use that fat as a replacement for oil in the recipe.

Great idea! Why not fry up a few sausages, to keep in the fridge for omelets or whatever?

Also any stew tips would be cool.

Umami in the base!
Throw in a Tbl of miso paste if you have it, or some Worcestershire sauce, and don't forget some celery. I put celery in pretty much every soup and stew.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Cut off both ends, and soak it in water (in the fridge) for a couple of hours. It will wake right the hell back up.

Sorcery!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Got a thermometer? Sounds like either you started at too low a temperature or the temperature took a nosedive once you added the food.

Yup.
Oil temperature control is a real bitch with home frying. Fried chicken is a little more tolerant then more delicate things, but it has a lot of thermal mass, so I would advise you to start with the oil temp HIGHER then your target temp. Not too much, or the coating will burn, but enough to keep your oil temp from sailing right past the minimum temp.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hand washing will lengthen the life expectancy of your food processor bowls/lids/what have you. I do sometimes put the main bowl in there, but never anything with working parts.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I got WAY too many carrots from my dad's garden, so these year I made a big pot of roasted carrot cumin soup. I also tried making a thai peanut version, but I used too much PB and the taste was too strong.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Lots of good suggestions. I'll have to try capers. Would a normal supermarket sell fish/oyster sauce or would I have to go to a fancy one for that?

These days you can get it at most supermarkets, but you might only have one or two options. And some goons are very particular about their brand of fish sauce!
I usually buy a big bottle at Kam Man, and it lasts me for a year or so, I don't really go through it that fast.

I feel like Oyster sauce is a little more common?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Block of cream cheese with red pepper jelly on top and clubhouse crackers.

Oh yeah, stupid easy, but SO GOOD. I know they are unpopular, but I like Triscuits for this.

Also, baked brie with toasted almond slices and warm maple syrup, droooool.....

Casu Marzu posted:

A crock pot of Swedish meatballs are p dope too

Any time I do this for a party, they disappear like magic. Costco sells these pineapple-flavored chicken meatballs, those are super popular too. I usually do those with the grape jelly and chili sauce.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Can be heated up in bulk or served directly into a plate and microwaved.

When I cook for people in crisis, I usually go with soup and stews, for the same reasons.

That, and I have a giant stack of gallon yogurt containers that make it easy to transport and store.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You can make enchiladas "lasagne style" by layering things up in a casserole pan like a lasange, it makes a denser meal so more room in the fridge. Just make sure to use tons of sauce or it will dry out, good corn tortillas soak up a a ton of sauce.

Anne Whateley posted:

I would also bring muffins or other stuff they could eat for breakfast/lunch with one hand.

Great advice, that never would have occurred to me!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I eat a lot of thighs, best way to is to bake/roast them. Lately I've been using the slow cooker, 3 hours on low for one layer of thighs is just about perfect. Pull the skin off, rub with seasonings, add a little liquid, boom done.

Otherwise I use a dutch oven or lidded casserole dish.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

So buy a bag of manure and toss the dirt a little?

So, SubG is right, as usual, but my first thought was: Soil? What soil? He's going to have to buy some soil. If nothing else you want to raise the bed up a little for better drainage.

And yes, veggies love some good aged manure. So yeah, 3-4 bags of topsoil/loam, and a bag of poo poo.

But DON'T just dump it there, to SubG's point, you want to break up the existing dirt completely before mixing in the new stuff (I wouldn't have the patience for a few years, of pioneer crops, though). It's a small enough space that you don't need to rent a tiller, just turn it over with a shovel like 6-8 times, dump in the new stuff, and turn it over another 5-6 times. There is a technique where you make overlapping piles, it's actually pretty efficient.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Funktor posted:

Tell me about yogurt. My wife and I would like to do some yogurt making.

It's fun and easy, and you should do it! You just need to buy some live yogurt, so you can use a little as a starter.

Funktor posted:

We want fruit-blended

No, no, no, this somewhat defeats the purpose of making fresh yogurt. You want to stir in the fruit/jam/what have you when you serve it!

Funktor posted:

Also, my wife hates Greek-style yogurt to make things difficult.

Good news! Th greeking is an extra, unnecessary step; greek yogurt is just regular yogurt, but with most of the whey squeezed out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm a big fan of my homemade blueberry jam, from local berries. Even though jam is mostly sugar, the flavor is strong enough that you don't have to use much, just a teaspoon or so in a bowl.

Then, again, I also like plain, unsweetened yogurt, too. So I'm weird. And it's not like I don't have a sweet tooth! I just like my yogurt dry.