Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

NZAmoeba posted:

It would be too expensive to buy the product regularly, but how would I go about making this myself? What sort of ingredient ratio, what kind of herbs and spices etc?

You may get similar results from an Italian dressing. I'll go and buy a mix packet for cheap and make it myself, and I've used that on potato wedges for a super quick and easy side dish.

Probably not the healthiest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Achmed Jones posted:

I have two whole fish - there's gotta be something cooler to do with them than fillets.

Salmon steaks? Any other thing I can think of would require filleting them first.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'd be up for anything that doesn't involve BBQ sauce or a bun. A soup that uses shredded pork would be great but a 2 minute search didn't turn anything up.

You could look into dumplings or egg rolls, maybe even some chili? I've no real experience with pork so maybe someone will pop in with a better idea.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Douche Bag posted:

I'm not trying to start a huge fight here, but why are beans in chili such a contentious issue? Chili is such a simple and unpretentious food but people have gotten genuinely angry at me for putting beans in it. I think it's a great way for my broke rear end to get more bang for my buck. Beans are cheap :)

It's like people getting pissed over ketchup on hot dogs. Who the hell cares and why does it matter?

People have pride in having food a certain way, it almost if not actually does tie into their culture/heritage. You'll find more people in Texas who'd argue about beans/no beans than perhaps in Massachusetts. But even that's a tiny thing compared to how serious people get about their barbecue.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Saeku posted:

Yeah, there are tons of Indian dishes you can use cardamom and coriander in. Go make dal sambar or biryani or something.

Be sure to fry the spices or something first before grinding, it gives a nice flavor.

Edit: v put it way better than I did

Comic fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 6, 2011

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

The Macaroni posted:

Edit 2: And I never, ever buy fresh seafood except from an "off the boat" fishmonger or Whole Foods.

Asian supermarket near here has a literal wall of tanks with seafood swimming about in it, ripe for you to point and claim. I have no issues with buying fresh seafood in this situation, it's rather nice since I'm in a landlocked state.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

The Macaroni posted:

When you're ready to spend $30, buy this. It's now my favorite knife and I use it more than my $100 Henckels knives.

I've eyed that for a while, but the handle seems really thin- is it thicker than it looks?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Wroughtirony posted:

No, it doesn't need to be. Victorinox knives are all you will ever need unless you decide to cook for a living. Even if you do cook for a living, you don't need much more than Victorinox knives.

Well I ask because my experience with thinner handles on knives is that I'm really not comfortable using them- and I can never get a good grip to do things that require a little strength.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

The Macaroni posted:

My Victoronox, on the other hand, has a comparable handle to my Henckels knives and has great heft to it.

This is what I was looking for, thanks. Thinking back the heft is probably the most important part- I was equating thin handle to the knife being too light.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

taremva posted:

Me and a coworker are locked in a discussion regarding light products.

Will drinking cola light as opposed to regular cola have an similar effect on weight gain? I'd appriciate if anyone is able to elaborate if neccesary.

From my understanding while diet/light cola does have less calories- that's a double sided sword. Typically people will drink more soda as it's not as satisfying due to that.

If you're to straight up replace it on a 1:1 basis, I believe you will lose weight- assuming the difference in calories you're taking in drops below the amount you're burning. Otherwise you'll just be gaining LESS weight.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Lyssavirus posted:

So I went shopping hungry, and ended up buying a one pound brick of extra firm tofu. It was a dollar, and I'm poor so I figured a pound of protein for a dollar was a good plan. Buuuut now I have no loving clue what to do with the thing. I stuck it in the freezer since I remember reading that that makes the texture more pleasant, and I was thinking maybe frying it up in a pan and making some kind of tasty sauce for it, but beyond that I'm stumped. What are good ways to serve tofu?

throw strips in a bag with a flour/spice mixture before panfrying them (be careful not to stir too much- they'll break). sauces and such are a good idea, serve over rice. I recently basically made general tso's chicken with tofu instead, though I roasted some peanuts in the pan afterwards and added them on top. Had some various vegetables in there too as well as bean sprouts.

It was pretty good.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If I'm making the classic GWS pulled pork recipe off the wiki but my roommate "doesn't like pork all that much" and am going to use beef instead, what kind of beef do I buy and do I have to do anything different?

Shredded brisket is a thing but I'd imagine it's made differently. Stuff like that apple cider vinegar is used because it's pork. Not that it would necessarily go badly with brisket, but I'd not be as confident in it. I'm also not sure you can even make it in a slow cooker- I've never tried. Pot roast? Sure. Brisket always goes in the smoker or oven though, if not both.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Userf4058 posted:

A quick Google says to use white wine + sugar as substitute, but all I have on hand is a bottle of Sangria... minus the different color, will that suffice?

No. Absolutely not. That is like trying to trade cabbage for iceberg lettuce because they're both green and round. You might have a recipe in which the result isn't bad, but it's not an actual substitution. That analogy is a little misleading because there might be more similarities between cabbage and iceburg lettuce than mirin and bottled sangria.

I'm fairly sure you don't want to cook with that sangria, at least.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

GrAviTy84 posted:

EV olive was popular a few years ago

Cooking with extra virgin olive oil is a waste and probably not recommended anyway. You want that in your no-heat applications, otherwise you risk hitting smoke point among other losses such as flavor.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Gerblyn posted:

Anyways, I really have no idea what to do with the lamb, I'm not even sure what cut of lamb it is (I bought it in Holland, and the butcher told me it was the most expensive cut of lamb available). Anybody have any ideas for something which makes me appreciate the stupid amount of money I just spent on it?

Without knowing what kind of lamb cut it is it's really hard to recommend something- but maybe a lamb curry? Look into Mediterranean/Greek recipes perhaps.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Lullabee posted:

If its too runny, is it ok to add more oats and cook a while longer? Or will it thicken up as it cools?

I think that's okay, and it should thicken as it cools, but the main issue with over cooking oats is that they'll turn to mush I think, after a certain point. Using a crock pot with steel-cut oats is a way to get past the fact that they're harder to cook relative to rolled oats, with a low-effort solution. I don't have any experience making oatmeal in a crock-pot though so it might be okay.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Meningism posted:

If I was to make congee in a slow cooker, can I just put rice in chicken stock and leave it for 6 hours?

What can I add to it to make it not bland?

When I make it, I typically bring it to a boil before simmering it for a few hours - but I also use brown rice. I've no experience cooking it in a slow cooker though.

But as far as putting things in it to make it not bland, the chicken stock is going to take it a good way, you can put anything you like into it really, congee is pretty neutral. Vegetables? Sure. Leftover beef/whatever? Why not. I've had Congee with curry before and that was pretty good. Mostly stuff prepared seperately.

But if you want to keep it simple? Green onions, ginger, garlic, I think are all common things, and other than the green onions I'd not shy away from throwing it right into the pot while it cooks.

Comic fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 3, 2012

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Cuddlebottom posted:

I've been trying to make homemade yogurt, but my first two attempts turned out roughly the consistency of snot. I let the yogurt set in a warm place for around 8 hours. Both times it appeared to set (smelled yogurty, and a slice I made in the curds remained visible), but transferring it made it disintegrate. Does this mean is just hasn't sat long enough? Do I need to chill it before trying to move it?

There are about a million guides online to making yogurt, but most are contradictory and vaguely superstitious.

I personally find that adding plenty of dry milk at the beginning will make it thicker- I hear gelatin will as well- but transferring it typically loosens it up or having thick enough yogurt prevents it from reforming to a new container. It's probably the only reason I bought a 'yogurt maker' was for the individual cups.

Even the way I like it, I'd still have to strain it for greek style, unless I went super overboard with dry milk in which case it has almost a flan consistency.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

pork never goes bad posted:

Either way, the notion that one can just weigh food pre and post fryer and get something even approaching an accurate count of calories added by oil is a drastic oversimplification given the aims and sensitivity needs of most calorie-counters.

It was pretty much a comment of 'if you don't believe it soaks up a lot of oil, just weigh it and notice a dramatic change', or at least that's how I read it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

indoflaven posted:

I swear I used to be able to get little cans of re-fried beans. 1 of the normal sized cans is just too much for me and I end up throwing some out. Do these still exist?

Is it just for convenience? I haven't bought refried beans in a can for years- making refried beans from a can of pinto beans isn't too hard, and is typically tastier.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Cowcatcher posted:

I have a buttload of green jalapenos, what do I do internet??

I suggest jalapeno jelly, as an unususal use. I haven't made it myself though, so I don't have a recipe. I do know I've enjoyed it on crackers and chips with a bit of cream cheese.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I want to make something bean-centric, but most of what comes to mind is very spicy. As it is reaching 100 degrees outside, I don't want to make chili as avoiding peppers if possible, despite how much I enjoy them, would be kinder to everyone else. I also have the stipulation of not using pork- no ham or bacon for flavoring.

Are there dishes like this? I'm so used to making my beans spicy or in chili that I don't know how to reconcile it. The only thing I can think of is just straight up boiled beans with onions and garlic and such with some rice perhaps. I have black beans and red beans on hand and some canned pinto beans as well.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Charmmi posted:

Here are two cold bean salads that we've made and enjoyed. The first uses white beans and the second uses chickpeas.

edit: nvm did not see your bean requirements.

I think I'll make that second one in the near future regardless, so thanks!

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

dino. posted:

Nothing is worse than unpopped mustard seed in daal.

I don't think I've ever used anything but... daal to make daal so I may try this with various other beans, but I get the feeling this mustard seed thing is an issue I've been guilty of before. I'll definitely keep this recipe in mind next time I make it- I never 'properly' learned how to make it, just kind of watched my dad make it a million times and had vague understanding of what goes in and when. He's always been one to cut corners and use sub-par ingredients though so it may come out completely different from what I'm used to- he rarely goes to the effort to make bagar even.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Slifter posted:

A booze related question.

I need to use whiskey in some eggnog and I'm wondering if I should bother buying the nicer stuff. Normally I'd assume any nuances are going to be lost but the recipe I'm using is uncooked and a good quarter of it is whiskey.

I'd probably go with a cheap-but-quality bourbon, but I wouldn't spend more than $30 on something you're going to mix. Buffalo Trace would be my go-to but prices in your area will vary. Maker's Mark is very neutral and nothing special but is widely available without being prohibitively expensive. Don't bother going too nice since that's a waste, so blended whiskey at best. If you go too cheap on it, it'll be terrible because cheap whiskey ruins everything it touches. Don't be tempted to buy a $8 Kentucky Gentleman or something just because the eggnog will mask subtleties of nicer bourbons- because the eggnog will not mask the terror.

Comic fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 27, 2012

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

tarepanda posted:

I love Maker's Mark and find it eminently drinkable... and I don't even like alcoholic beverages. It's not as harsh as other whiskeys and has a nice, caramel-like aftertaste.

Yeah I'm not knocking it, it just doesn't have a lot of nuance that other whiskeys do, and I'll usually recommend it to people who are just starting out or have only had much worse whiskeys. It makes it a fairly reliable cocktail whiskey due to it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

68k posted:

It was decent. It seems to be going in the right direction, but it just lacked any kind of 'oomph' in flavor. Any advice?

Salt maybe? Coconut cream is basically a more concentrated coconut milk so it could add some flavor too.

Try using fresh ginger and spices in general- like if you could toast cumin seed before grinding it that will add a lot to it just by itself.

Also maybe some fresh cilantro (coriander) chopped and mixed in at the end? It may not be closer to what you're wanting though.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

nwin posted:

It seems that lately when I've been cooking an egg over hard, it comes out tasting like plastic (the white mainly).

I'm using a non stick pan and will go between using bacon grease or Pam cooking spray. I put it in setting 2 (out of 10) on my electric stove top. I just cooked some scrambled eggs right after and they tasted fine. Any idea what's up? This last time the heat was at 4 because I had been cooking some bacon and turned it down to 2 after I put the egg in the pan, so maybe it was too hot?

Judging purely on the 1-10 scale, I would be frying my eggs at 5-6. It's possible that you're actually overcooking it at low heat maybe? Or some other food science relating to low slow heat as opposed to medium shorter heat. If it was up too high the edges of the whites would be coming out crispy and brown, almost lace-like in appearance. (My father eats his fried eggs like that, but also sunny-side up.)

Comic fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 6, 2012

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Mr Kapu posted:

I'm sure there's some literature around here somewhere about making your own chili powder, but I can't find any. Does anyone have any advice about drying/grinding/storing chilies? I have a bunch of red chilies, cayennes, habeneros, god knows what else. I'd like to make a chili powder and maybe a taco seasoning sort of power. I do have a dehydrator and planned on using that but I don't know what to store the powders in when I'm done. I know you're supposed to store herbs in opaque containers to keep them fresh. Is it the same with chili powders?

There is this chili powder recipe on the wiki. It's good. Doesn't answer anything about drying chili peppers and such though.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Leal posted:

I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on cooking with tofu and eggs? I tried googling it and all I was getting were links to replace eggs with tofu, instead of cooking with the two of them :downs:

Actually I'd like some tofu recipes in general, the main things in my diet are linguica, chicken, rice, eggs and jalapenos.

Fried rice, fried tofu, scrambled eggs? Alternately cube and then bread the tofu with an egg wash?

I imagine the texture of outright combining eggs and tofu to not be too appealing.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

silvergoose posted:

Wow, they're even allowed to in MA. There's places with more stringent liquor laws than us??

You can only buy low alcoholic beer here in supermarkets, but not between 2-6am. Liquor stores are your only other source for alcohol here and they usually close at 11pm. No alcohol sales (well nothing that you can take home) on Sunday.

Bible belt (Oklahoma). :eng99:

Edit: we also recently (4 years ago? I think) made it illegal to ship alcohol in from out-of-state to your house, so no wine.woot or amazon liquor purchases for me.

Comic fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 24, 2012

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Quandary posted:

11 PM? In Norman all the liquor stores are legally required to close at 9 at least.

I work graveyard :/ my sense of time is off I guess. Not open before work and not open after work, only while I sleep.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Ron Jeremy posted:

For some reason, I thought buying a case of corn would be a good idea. Any idea of what I should do with ~50 ears of corn? So far I'm planning corn chowder and creamed corn, then cooking and cutting kernels to freeze.

Grilled corn is a favorite, even without husking or any special preparation. Just right on the heat.

You can get fancier with grilled corn though if you make spiced butters, but then you'd need to husk them as applying to husk is not a flavorful thing to do.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I rinse off some rices more than others. Parboiled rice gets the 'rinse until it isn't cloudy' treatment but brown rice and basmati rice gets a quick rinse at best.

I've also never bothered to soak my rice beforehand, but I also typically use a rice cooker. (Except when making brown rice, which half the time I'll fry the dried rice up a bit first.)

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Sounds like a white gravy without the meat fat. It sounds like you had a lot more flour than you needed. If you had added that sausage it would definitely have had a lot more fat in there to balance out your flour.

As it was you basically thickened your white sauce to hell.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Myopic posted:

Americans, please teach me how to make those things you call biscuits that are basically scones. Google just gives me recipes for actual biscuits - I think it knows I'm a Limey. Since I'm here, those breakfast sausage patty things have sage in 'em, right? Any other key seasonings or just whatever? Trying to recreate biscuits and gravy here, obviously.

I used this recipe last time I made biscuits, it came out nicely.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

scuz posted:

Successfully created my first batch of mayo and now I have 2 cups' worth of the stuff and no idea what to do besides a bunch of sandwiches. It's got chili powder in it, but the chili part is pretty mild (not much heat, a little smokey). Tempura-type shrimp would be awesome to dip it in, but after that, I'm clueless :(

Tuna/Chicken salad style things.

Throw some sriracha in it and make it spicy mayo for... anything really I guess.

Deviled eggs. Potato salad.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
American is basically fake cheddar, you probably got something that tasted better but the american probably would've melted more uniformly as it's more processed.

I bet you could alter that to melt the cheddar better but I have found that some brands melt completely different in general so I have no advice.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Chronos13 posted:

Is there a go-to guide that GWS recommends for newbie cooks? Kitchens and grocery stores intimidate me and I would like to change that. I apologize if this gets asked a lot.

What are you looking to cook? I find it's easier to find guides and good advice when you have more of a goal in mind. Simple dinners? Lunches for work? etc.

If you have a recipe to consult, when you go to the store you know what you need to buy at a grocery store and also what you need to do in the kitchen to make stuff. It's just a matter of finding a recipe which suits your needs- most cooking isn't anything more complicated than following directions.

Comic fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Chronos13 posted:

I'm trying to figure out a few simple and healthy dishes I can make as I'm accustomed to eating in restaurants all the time and it's starting to hurt my wallet and my gut. Chicken and veggies might be a good start.

The GWS Wiki has a lot of good recipes, a lot of them with pictures. I've handily linked to the Chicken category there for you. Some of them a bit beyond a beginner but plenty are simple. This Chicken Chow Mein looks pretty simple for example, hardest part might be just finding five spice.

With more specific questions, this is probably the thread for it for sure.

Comic fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 4, 2012