Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey GWS,

I've got to make a Spanish/Mexican inspired dish for class tomorrow. I'm cheap, my cooking experience and supplies are limited, and certain obvious choices are already taken, like nachos, beans and rice, and drinks are out.

I was gonna go with refried black beans, topped with some crumbly casero style white cheese, and wrapped in a corn tortilla. A dozen or so of those, baked in an oven till crisp... Yes. That is what I've come up with.

Observations, criticisms, or suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thanks guys n gals. Went with the arroz con leche. Very tasty.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hey GWS, quick question: can I cook multiple things in an oven, and of so, how do I accommodate different times and temps? Like, since I only have one oven, but would like to have pizza, pigs in a blanket, and cheesecake soapapillas (some Pilsbury bastardization), all come out at once, or close to it, how would/could I do it?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I've developed a mild egg allergy. Unfortunately, I love baked goods.

What are some recipes that naturally don't have eggs, like shortbread cookies?

Also, what sort of substitutes are their for eggs in baking, and do they yield results as tasty as the originals?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hey, I'd like to make a banana nut bread, but I don't really care for pecans or walnuts. Any other nut that would work? I really like cashews.

Maybe roasted unsalted almonds?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Apologies for this maybe crazy question, but I'd appreciate any answers I can get, and hope I get plenty of replies:

How can I make a typical american yeasty standard issue glazed donut, and not just transform it into something great, but also give it a mexican flair? Oh, and the kicker, facilities are rather limited, so try to be as simple as possible, and also, all I'll have to cook with is a Large BBQ grill.

Thanks again for any and all input/answers.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

OK. Well, I have two suggestions, not sure how helpful they will be. When you say grill, do you mean gas or charcoal?

First, as to the using of the grill, it would be possible, but incredibly stupid and dangerous, to put a pot of oil on the heat and fry your doughnuts. This is stupid. This is dangerous. And you won't be able to control the heat of your oil at all (unless you have gas, in which case, you have a little more control). . But if you somehow are in the woods and someone has a gun to your head and is demanding doughnuts or your brains will decorate the forest floor, then sure, go for it. Use a tall, heavy stockpot and as little oil as possible to minimize spill potential and good luck.

As for a Mexican flair, you might be able to make a dulce de leche style glaze. You can probably make it ahead of time and bring it with you to the 'facility' and just heat it up over the grill heat. Add a little cinnamon and maybe a pinch of cayenne.

Sorry, I might not have been clear-- I am trying to utilize and incorporate items I already have. In this case, I have access to already prepared donuts. So I wont have to make the donuts, but I do want to know if there is any way to liven them up. The Cinnamon, dulce de leche and cayanne are good tips though. I'd already considered the first two. Thanks and hopefully the clarification can lead to more tips.

Also, using a charcoal grill, and MAYBE a gas grill too.

Gyshall posted:

Make a cheeseburger out of it

Realtalk: I make a mean DonutBurger™, a tasty breakfast sandwich, but It's a little more intensive and involved than I want to get into for this event, as well as being a breakfast food, whereas I am preparing to make a more lunch oriented meal.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Okay, brainstorming here:
I'd like to use Cajeta
Cinnamon
Dulce de leche
Maybe chocolate?
Cinnamon sugar

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

The Midniter posted:

You know how donuts with a maple glaze and bacon bits on top are popular?

Do a dulce de leche glaze and chorizo bits.

An interesting idea. Not sure if my audience will have the palate to appreciate chorizo on donuts, though.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

The local hipsteria makes a tasty grilled pear and bacon sandwich, fwiw

Note: however, i am still inclined not to make a chorizo topped donut.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

What about a simple bread pudding, using diced donuts, apples, cinnamon, cajeta and dulce de leche?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Aren't cajeta and dulce de leche just different names for the same thing?

I think the difference is cajeta is a darker brown, and also made from goats milk.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

What works for me is tossing bacon in the oven whole, then when it's nice and crispy, dicing.

Of course, I only dice bacon to put in my salads, so idk if this method offers you a solution.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I have 1 pie pumpkin. Any ideas of what I can make with it?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I stuff pumpkins with toasted bread, mushrooms, tiny bit of crushed garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and gruyere in layers. Then pour in cream to fill and layer bacon on top, put the lid on, and bake until the whole thing is cooked through. Delicious and perfect in every way. Variations on that theme are good, too.

Stuffed pumpkin sounds like a great idea. Hope the pumpkin is still good. I've had it for like... 2 and a half months. Still looks good on the outside. :shrug:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Question about roasting peppers:

I got these great peppers fresh today, and I was wondering, is it better to roast them now, while there super fresh l, or should I let them have a day or two to kind of rest?

2nd! Should I roast them cold, out of the fridge, or let them hit room temp first?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hey guys, quick question: Is there such a thing as a sandwich that has both rice and pasta in it?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

So what would happen if I put a half frozen turkey into the oven at 200 degrees for like 36 hours?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

You would have a dry lovely turkey.

/e- to thaw quickly use water baths.

Ok, so, I thawed the turkey in the fridge over a few days. It's seasoned, sealed in foil, and I'm sticking it in the oven, on low heat, for about 6 hours or so. I'm looking for a reassessment of the outcome. Or am I still going to end up with a "dry lovely turkey"?

Edit: 14lb turkey, 250° F

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

The Bananana posted:

Ok, so, I thawed the turkey in the fridge over a few days. It's seasoned, sealed in foil, and I'm sticking it in the oven, on low heat, for about 6 hours or so. I'm looking for a reassessment of the outcome. Or am I still going to end up with a "dry lovely turkey"?

Edit: 14lb turkey, 250° F

Trip Report:

It actually came out alright. Just a *touch* on the dry side, but that's cause j fell asleep and let it cook for 8 hours instead of 6 or 7.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 29, 2015

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hello cooking masters!

I'd like a little guidance here. I am a novice, to sometimes intermediate cook, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to accomplish here, but your help in nailing down the details would be much appreciated.

I'd like to take a flatbread, topped with mozzarella, tomatoes, sweet onions, goats cheese, and basil, and a bit of bacon, bake it in an oven, then add arugula, basil, parsley(?).

What do y'all think?

Good plan? Ingredients play well? Eager to hear any suggestions or advice.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Thank you all. I appreciated both serious and supportive comedy posts! I am super excited to try it, and yes, thread, I will post pics and report back on my results.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

The Bananana posted:

Hello cooking masters!

I'd like a little guidance here. I am a novice, to sometimes intermediate cook, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to accomplish here, but your help in nailing down the details would be much appreciated.

I'd like to take a flatbread, topped with mozzarella, tomatoes, sweet onions, goats cheese, and basil, and a bit of bacon, bake it in an oven, then add arugula, basil, parsley(?).

What do y'all think?

Good plan? Ingredients play well? Eager to hear any suggestions or advice.

It's... not coming along very well. This seems super simple, and it's not coming out right, so it's kinda discouraging. :(

Biggest problem is it was soggy. Thinking I need to strain my wet ingredients to drain all the water out.

This is the test run, so I guess it's good I'm practicing before I try to make this for people.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

^^^^what's the wrong kind of mozzarella? I was using medallions of mozzarella fresca. I was inclined to think they were partial culprits in the soggyness, as they're very moist.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Most people vastly overestimate the amount of toppings that can go on a pizza before it gets unmanageably wet or heavy.

Less is more! Don't feel bad, it happens to everyone.

Thanks number 1 sexy dad. I'll keep that in mind. *sigh*

Back to the kitchen!

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 23, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

So... probably not exactly the place to ask, but I didn't know any other place to go:

What's the best way to store pizza, and if stored correctly, what kind of quality can i expect a week later?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Cooking question!

I want to bake lobster tail. I need to run my seasoning by y'all.

Butter
Salt
Pepper
Lemon
Fresh Parsley
Smoked paprika*
Shallot*
Garlic powder*

Right, so the question is which of the *'d ingredients do I go with, or will they all play nicely together?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

So nix the shallot?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Ok, well for sure I'm thinking I'll kick out the garlic and shallot.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

The lobster came out awesome. Thanks gws

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I believe you mean Butter Chicken.

Although chicken flavored butter might be quite nice.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

What should I make for an Oscars dinner party

Something with cream cheese

And steak (?)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Could I get some tips and tricks or a walkthrough, even, for a beginner for making Tamales?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Nice meltdown

Delicious meltdown

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So out of curiosity, what actual use is there in an air fryer that I couldn't already get out of, say, an oven?

Asking for a friend.

I love my air fryer I got for Christmas a lot.
A FUCKIN' LOT.

Some* food comes out crispier and faster than a microwave or oven.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

mkultra419 posted:

Just got one as a present myself. Already planning to start dialing in a process for chicken wings, any other suggestions?

Onion rings

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

mkultra419 posted:

Just got one as a present myself. Already planning to start dialing in a process for chicken wings, any other suggestions?

Oh, also, it's a killarney alternative to a microwave for reheating stuff, imo

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Looking to purchase a new fryer. Nothing special just something that will fry for occasional appetizer nights. Previously I used a fry daddy and while it was super basic, by and large I had no issue with it (clean up us is clean up). Anyway got a bunch of Amazon/target gift cards and I keep seeing things about Air Fryers. I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on air fryers? I'm not really interested in one being healthier then the other (since it's for infrequent use), but I am interested in it, if it has significantly easier clean up and the overall taste and crispyness is similar.

Of course there is just something fun about frying with oil and putting the basket in, that I know wont be there with air frying.

I would say...

A fryer is different than the air fryer.
So if you want to hand make fries, chicken tenders, corn dogs, etc from scratch, you need to stick with a traditional fryer.

The air fryer is neat, and does cool new things, and really excels as a sort of hybrid between a microwave and an oven.

So frozen foods are the air fryers wheelhouse. Frozen chicken nuggets, frozen curly fries, frozen eggrolls. They all come out crispy, unlike a microwave, and faster/more energy efficient than an oven.

So take that for what its worth.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is it safe to eat the husks on tamales?

Lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Need a few answers fast, please..

Ive salted a steak and I'm letting it rest and sweat before I cook it.

1st, is it true that ground black pepper on a steak before you sear it will burn the pepper and release a bitter flavor from the pepper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Any tips and tricks for a lobster roll?