Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

General Venereal posted:

I'm not sure which thread this question would be more appropriate in - but I have a Spanish thyme plant and I'm not going to be able to use all the leaves before the plant inevitably starts dying on me. Anyone know if it's better to dry the thyme (in the oven), or freeze it? I'm hoping to preserve as much flavor as possible, for as long as possible.

You can easily hang dry it, by just tieing it with string, letting it hang for 14 days, and then, over a piece of parchment, shake it vigourously, the leaves will drop off/cruble up, store that in airtight containers, and you're good (I do this with herbs every fall, and I always end up with a good result).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Happy Abobo posted:

I just made a batch of buttermilk biscuits. I usually make them pretty big, since I like to use them for sandwiches, and they typically come out pretty well. However, this was the first time making them in a new apartment with a much smaller oven. I followed my recipe (which tends to make 5 big-rear end biscuits) and arranged them in a "star" pattern on a flat cookie sheet.

The one in the middle came out perfectly, but the rest got a bit burnt and didn't rise well on the sides facing to the outside (away from the other biscuits). The insides were barely cooked and I still got significant burning. Is there any way I could remedy the problem, i.e. using a pan with a lip or a cakepan or something, or am I just doomed to lovely baked goods with this oven? :(

If it only was in just one end the remedy would be to turn the plate during baking, but what you're describing basically sounds like you're in a situation where the heat source is a ring(?) in the top of the oven - making the exact center perfect, while the rest of the oven is crap....

Is there a possiblity to turn on a fan in the oven, switching to hot air? That may (if your oven truly is lovely) give you the problem of one end (the end closest to the fan) getting baked sooner, but that can be rectified by turning the plate.

Alternatively - you can distribute heat more evenly by adding a plate of either stone or cast irone both above and below your baking plate (I've only seen this done once - but it worked).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Yes - that is what you want to get rid off..

Would an alternative be to clarify with eggwhites? Anyone?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

A question about stock options..

We're a few guys who're taking our beer brewing equipment, and will use it to make stock.

What we have is a 150l and a 200l pot, paella burners (btuing like gently caress), and are going to break up a few cow carcasses to do this thing.

But - are there anything I should premeditate, or is it just a question of scaling up?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

You most likely will not - there's a huge difference.. and by the way - it is only a small sum to find out if you're truly fish adverse.

(Plus - there's the added bonus of brain-slugs!!)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Go with Christ posted:

In my defense, his burners are confusing. The substance was white rice, if that helps any.

Also, the internet suggests emptying a bottle of ammonia into it, covering it, and leaving it outside for a few days. Preferably somewhere Pookie won't find it.

You need some vinegar in there too..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Yeah, but if the melting point of the ice is lowered, that means that the ice will become water faster. The energy required to turn ice into water is lot more than the energy required to heat up water. This is not a closed system, energy will be coming in, no matter how good the insulation. Therefore, if you want the temperature to be low for a long period of time, it seems to me that you would want to slow down the process of melting the ice. I understand why a salt/ice/water mix is colder, but I don't think it is the solution, as the salt would reduce the longevity of the ice.

That was my thinking, anyway. I am perfectly prepared to admit that I might be wrong.

YES! I don't know that I have sufficient ice available. A properly controlled experiment should be simple enough to carry out. I hypothesise that the salt/ice/water will be colder, but that ice alone will last longer.

What you need to meassure is when the temp rises to above 0 degrees (or +37 or whatever it is the hedonistic fahrenheit prescribes) - when that point is reached with both of them - that is what is interesting, not wether the ice is melted or not.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

May I suggest the following:

1. Bring a thermos to exact temperature by heating it with boiling water, remove water from thermos at 90 degrees, and then add ice - meassure and log time for it to hit above 0 degrees.

2. Do the same prep work with the thermos, and then add ice sprinkled with 5% salt (by weight for water) - meassure and log time for it to hit above 0 degrees

3. Repeat 2 by with 10%, 15%, 20%, 25% untill you hit 40%

Draw a nice excel diagram

Edit: Oh - and you need to somehow adjust for the surface area of the ice, such that it will not bleed heat faster or slower just because of increased surface area contact to the air.. Hmm - can you do it in a vacuum too please?

(Yeah - this is all about surface areas I think)

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 29, 2011

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So are you guys saying it takes more energy to raise 1 gram of ice 1 degree than it does to raise one gram of liquid water one degree?

Nope - that is my point I think!

Scientastic: You need to be able to state how many kilojoule that is used for each of the two - my guess would be that 1g of water would demand 1 calorie, or 4.2 joule to raise 1*c..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

you guys are chatting.. aren't you?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

What about prep time - I would imagine it being longer with steel cut?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Ok, being frugal again, and have just ground 25pounds of meat(whatever the wife didn't steal for cutlets or for future chilis), I used round of beef and chuck steak (the dictionary tells me that it is so)...

Both are extremely lean, what cuts of pig/beef are the best for grinding?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

You should do a homemade pasta with clams.. simple yet delicious!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Hmm...

Tomatoes - canned or other? Lemon? Lime? Chile?

Vodka?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

If you put a bit of liquid nitrogen on the hinge they'll pop right open.

This... this is awesome!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

also get a shucker with cross bars..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Eeyo posted:

I've heard of (never tried it) putting cocoa powder into chili, maybe that would add some darker flavor to it? Just a bit though, I imagine, you wouldn't want to overpower chili with cocoa powder.

Use 70-85% chocolate, and depending on the size of the batch, about 100g of it (for a normal sized batch)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Hmm - anchovies!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Demon Lord posted:

Two newbie questions I couldn't find the answers to...

I have a double boiler (bain-marie) and I'm trying to make custard for the first time. I can't, however, figure out how much water to put in the bottom pan. I have three conflicting hypothesis:
- Put enough water to touch the bottom of the top pan (heat transfer via liquid water);
- Put the least amount of water possible so it boils ASAP (heat transfer via vapour);
- Fill half of the pan so it takes time to boil

Also, same reciepe but unrelated, our parchment paper says to moisten it when used in an oven. How moist is moist enough? Should I dip the paper in water, or is spraying a mist of water enough?

Thanks!

Option 1

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

cyberia posted:

I just bought a couple of boneless hake fillets for dinner. What's the easiest way to cook them? I was thinking just pan-fried or grilled with salt & pepper and served with salad?

edit - another question: I'm planning to make Thai fish cakes tomorrow with this recipe.

The ingredients list calls for '500g skinless redfish fillets, bones removed, roughly chopped'. What would be the best 'redfish' to get for this dish?

I would think?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

1) Can be below 100C, 2) is always 100C.

Kinda dissapointed - expected roman numerals in cursive from you!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Dude... airflow??

I think you effectively corked your jar with yoghurt, the air won't penetrate back through the mass (is my expectation) - also - you don't need more than one layer of cloth.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Benjamin Black posted:

Well drat. Guess I'll just line the strainer with cheese cloth and dump it in.

It will still run drat slow (it usually does for me), stir it, scraping the cloth, and it will run faster.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

I'm not sure where to ask this, but are there any guide or anything about living in a cold climate and trying to eat things fairly local? I would like to take advantage of a CSA, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Or for local butchers for meats. I love little hole in the wall ethnic markets, but they generally don't show up on google maps. I don't drive in a city that's designed for cars, so I'm a bit limited.

I generally grow herbs in the summer, though that's only a few months worth of growing season here. I live in a basement apartment, so it's really hard to grow things indoors without spending money on lights.

It would really help if you provided us with a general area, like, say, a continent?

Also - when you want to shop local - you need to shop in season, meaning that right now the roots are your friends, in the spring you can start looking at the greens and in late summer/fall, the fruits (like tomatoes etc.) will start showing up.

Also:
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/local_food/search.php
http://www.eatwellguide.org/i.php?pd=Home
http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
https://www.biodynamics.com/csa.html

Assuming that you're living in the relative south that is North America.

If you're living somewhere more nothern, or southern (like on the Russian tundra, or the argentinian Pampas) earthworms and grains are your friends.

In Denmark just use Aarstiderne.com, they have something equivalent for the rest of the nordics I guess (well.. for the civilized parts of the Nordics that is - Hedonistic Sweden may not be included).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

St. John Coltrane posted:

How do you make a nearly finished dish less salty? I'm talking about immediately before plating, you taste, and something got hosed up and it is way too salty; what do you do?

Real-life example (admittedly, super-lame):

I was improvising for some friends, which ended up being box mac 'n cheese with blackened shrimp, onions, and garlic. The pasta ended up being way too salty by the time it was finished (it was pretty clearly a result of over-salting the cooking water). I didn't know what to do to help the situation, and it really ruined any sense of what I was trying to do with the meal (some sort of balance between the rich, less salty pasta, and the salty, sweet shrimp/onions).
The mac was cooked separate from the whole shrimp/onion thing, so I basically had to address a super salty sauce/pasta situation. I'm curious if anyone has any emergency procedures which might help in such a situation, or any other helpful tips to use when seasoning otherwise goes awry...

You can offset the salt with some bitter - coffee (I poo poo you not) will masque some of the salt.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

just strong black coffee.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

Ice cream made without eggs can get icy really fast if it hangs around in the freezer for too long.
Usually homemade ice cream never makes it to that point though:btroll:

Yeah - seriously, don't store it too long in the freezer, but that is not because of the missing eggs (egg based ice creams will get grainy fast in the freeser too), but because of the missing stabilizer.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Happy Adobo posted:

What would be a good idea for someone's first time cooking with foie gras? I almost never eat it, let alone cook with it, but recently happened upon about a half-pound of the stuff.

What kind?

Is it a whole liver (raw) or is it a pate?

If it is a whole liver, slice it up in finger thick slices, and on a hot pan, give it 30 seconds to a side (watch it, because the fucker will melt), then turn off the heat and let it rest for another 30 seconds, and then eat it..

(for added taste, do a balsamic reduction and fresh strawberries sliced as a side)

You should really not let it be part of any other dish, as it really needs to stand on it's own.

Alternatively - chop it up, add some sauternes and summer truffles, pack it tightly in a cheesecloth (like a saussage), and then poach it for 30 minutes at low heat in duck fat, keep the temperature below melting point of the fat, but high enough for it to poach properly..

Serve cold on toast with strawberries and more sauternes.

Or beef wellington..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Throw everything in a pot (and water and salt) set the oven at 110c, in goes the pot for 4+ hours, take it out when you're ready, and reduce it down untill it has the taste you want. It's fine to leave it in there overnight if you want (doesn't turn bitter).

No need to freeze the stock if you use it within the next week or so.

Reason for oven: you want a slow simmer, and it is easier to hit that in the oven, just below boiling.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Yehudis Basya posted:

I've got a truckload of fresh bing cherries. What is your most amazing cherry pie recipe????

This I would love an answer to, too..

Also - what to do with chestnuts, I've pureed the suckers, roasted them, eaten them with butter - can they be some sort of pie filling??

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Is there any reason you can't freeze unused wine? If you're using it for cooking, I can't see the harm in freezing an ice cube tray of wine.

I do this routinely - does not affect taste negatively, and with the amounts that you'll have as leftovers, it is fine to just do it in a bag, because you'll use all of it at once anyways.

Yeah - the crystalization is crazy, and it is kinda slush-ice-y... but it is all good.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I found a coconut washing up on the beach, fully intact. Is it safe to crack it open and eat it?

I've peeled off the hair, and when I pierced the shell there was a depressurizing noise as some gas escaped; this gives me pause, but I've never opened a coconut before so I don't know whether this is normal. It smells like the sea, so it's hard to tell whether or not it's "bad" (how long would it take for an adrift coconut to go bad?)

I would assume that is how coconuts travel in nature, saying something about if they are to turn into trees, then the nuts must be fresh...

... I would taste it, and it tastes good - fine, if not - then throw it out..

(Unless you live on the Norwegian coast - then you should totally turn that sucker into moonshine!)

Edit: Holy poo poo - bad English.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Seemed logical..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

From a few pages back but I've had some chili infused oils that rocked my world and I'd love to try to make them myself. I've just been worried about infusing oils and not knowing how long they last, anyone have experience with doing this?
Chili is forever.
Fresh garlic for a max of 14 days (if you're not going to use it for injecting in celebrities)
Garlic confit for years

Basically - use dried herbs, that will hold much longer than fresh (because of the water, and the subsequent anarobic decomposing of the fresh)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

I want to make Japanese food tonight but can't get hold of sushi or sticky rice to serve with it. I am thinking of cooking regular long grain rice without washing it first. Any other ideas for good substitutes?
Risotto rice would probably be a lot better.

I've seen spelt used too

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I won't kid those lower guidelines make people feel better about the rare pork shoulder steaks I like to eat.

Are there still parasitic problems with pork?

Edit: Trichinosis... and apparantly yes!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 17, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

In the US we get a dozen cases a year.

So basically there's no real reason to eat your pork well done?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

Today I got a 16.5 lb vacuum-sealed pork shoulder from Sam's Club for $1.34 because they forgot to put a weight on it and it rang up at the per-pound value. Unfortunately, due to a series of distractions that arose this afternoon, I accidentally left it out on the counter for about 6 hours (still vacuum-sealed). I probably need to throw it out, right? This seems like karmic retribution for gaming the Sam's Club system or something.

No!

It's fine (smell it damnit)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

My in-laws live in Oregon, I'm staying 3,000 miles away from those pickles.

I don't know. Maybe the dead lady would be glad they didn't go to waste?

Also, I missed the most important part of my MIL's email...they cleaned out this lady's house seven years ago. I realize that pickles can last that long, but it just makes the whole thing seem worse to me.

"Bright green food item of unknown provenance? At least seven years old? Yum!"

My other guess was maybe some kind of sweet pepper, since she says they're very sweet but doesn't mention any heat. The thin strip lying crosswise looks like it could be a slice of bell pepper. But the two thick pieces are bigger than any slice of pepper I've ever seen.

7 years?

gently caress dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Could he be thinking of there being a difference between squids and octopus' (octopi?) ?