Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

M42 posted:

I bought a duck for thanksgiving (the oven is too small for turkey). What sides should I make to go with it?

Also, is it worth it to brine duck? I brine chicken and turkey, but I've never had a problem with duck being dry.

Do not brine the duck - slow roast it!

Your sides should be caramelized fingerling potatoes, cream based sauce, pickled red cabbage, baked apples with jelly and rice pudding for dessert..

Edit: Traditional Danish christmas fare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Monkahchi posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a full-english breakfast more decadent? Poached eggs are a great start, but I'm looking for something else to bring to the plate, ingredients or recipe suggestions would be appreciated.

I am assuming that a full english breakfast is:

Toast & jams
Eggs
Baked beans
Bacon
Sausages

Make boston baked beans instead of that baked beans heinz thing...
Bake your own bread
Danish bacon - sure, but get it properly sourced instead
Make your own sausages, or get them properly sourced.
Add fresh fruit
Jams - use good jams, make your own
replace the sausage with rillette or other potted meats

Unless you want to make a full breakfast type of thing - then the ingredient list should be:

Breads
01. Bagels
02. Lauterbrötchen
03. Brioche
04. Pancakes
05. Sticky buns (because we like the americans with all our hearts)
06. Pain perdu
07. Individual Tarte Tatins
08. Dark rye
(never made less than 4 of these for a proper breakfast - 2 sweet, two non sweet)

Eggs
09. Omelette
10. Soft boiled eggs
11. Sunny side up
12. Scrambled
13. Tortilla
14. Benedict

Charcutterie
15. Beech smoked ham
16. Schwarzwald ham
17. Jamon iberico
18. Serrano
19. Headcheese
20. Spegepølse
21. Salamies (3 or 4 kinds)
22. Bressaolo

Meat
23. Bacon
24. Sausages
25. Pancetta
26. Carpaccio
27. Pork rillette
28. Boar rillette
29. Pheasant rillete
30. Duck rillette

Cheeses
31. Black primadonna
32. Brie noir
33. Hard cheeses
34. Soft cheeses
35. Stilton
36. Danish blue
37. Roquefort
38. Garlic cream cheese

Fish
39. Smoked salmon
40. Gravad salmon
41. Smoked shark belly
42. Smoked clams
43. Salmon roe
44. Lumpfish roe
45. Salmon tatare
46. Smoked eel
47. Tuna carpaccio

Sides
48. Honeys
49. Pearl onion confit
50. Tomato confit
51. Maple syrup
52. 4-5 jams
53. Pickles
54. Pickled onions
55. Aioli
56. Capers in saltbrine
57. Different pestos
58. Different tapenades
59. Bruchetta

Soups
60. Gazpacho

Fruit and veggies
61. Melon
62. Grapes
63. Oranges
64. Apples
65. Strawberries
66. Pears
67. Tomatoes
68. Raw sliced onion
69. Cucumbers
70. Ratatouille

Hot drinks
71. Espresso
72. Latte
73. Cappucino
74. French press
75. Teas

Cold drinks
76. Apple juice
77. Orange juice
78. Rotkäpfchen (german sekt)
79. Champagne
80. Cider
81. Limoncello
82. Diverse cocktails (only did sidecars myself)

Cereals
83. Müesli with dried berries
84. Müesli with chocolate
85. Müesli with different kinds of nuts

Dairy
86. Drained yoghurt
87. Home made butters

Sweets
88. Filled chocolates
89. Petit fours

Cakes
90. Cheesecake
91. Layered apple cake (oldfashioned)

For the airways
92. Cigarillos

Pick no less than 30 - at best 50 (and no less than 2 from each of the bigger categories)

Serve..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Do you mean "Laugenbrötchen"? (alternatively you just told him to get a lot of buns :haw:)
My German friend is from Hamburg, might be the reason why I make obvious mistakes (no it isn't I am a slob).

Incidentally that list is a copy of a discussion that was had in the secret part of the Internet.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

I bought my sister and her new husband an immersion blender for Christmas and now I realize I don't have one and I really want one...Should I go for the same inexpensive Cuisinart model I bought them, or is there a better model I should spring for?

Technically a paco jet is an immersion blender - right?

I don't think you'll use it enough to go for something hellishly expensive tbh.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

So, I'm planning on making chicken stock for the first time this weekend and I had some questions.

I'm planning on removing the breast and poaching them to put into soup later, but the rest of the chicken is going to go into the stock. Should I brown the chicken and veg first, then add the water to the pot? Should I take the skin off? Should I take some of the meat off the drumsticks and roast those bones separately? Could I get away with tossing everything into the pot raw?

Roast everything first, just in the oven and give it a nice little roast..

Everything goes in the pot - skin, meat and bones (not really neccessary to put in the meat though - but hey...)

A little bit of salt, and some veggies (green of leek, carrots, onions that has been blackened (by bad humors in your bedroom) but nothing starchy)... Then low and slow for a few hours - I usually put it in the oven for 5 or 6 hours at 110-120*c and then take out, and reduce...

You should scum it at the beginning too - a couple of times ladeling the scum out of it, untill you've gotten the most out.

Let it congeal, and then scrape off the fat from the container (this is schmaltz, I think it is disgusting, but some people use it for some stuff).

It should end up as a jelly.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Jenkin posted:

My nutmeg fell into my soup. I rinsed it off and let it dry, it should be fine, right?

Sure.. and it is so expensive that just doing that is way better than just buying a new one..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Kenning posted:

I get my nutmegs so cheap from the bulk spices section at the store it's silly. It's only like $36/lb, which is not very much considering how much spice is in a single nutmeg.
My point exactly

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

toplitzin posted:

I bought a bottle of cheater korma. Whats a good cut of beef that will basically cook in a sear then simmer 15-20 minutes?
Can i use the always reasonable trimming leftover "stew meat", or will i suffer from chewy korma? I'm roasting a tandoori style chicken, so i just want a second protein and some read meat.

It will be chewy - that kind of time is not enough to break down the proteins and make it tender..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't a new idea, but I'm thinking about spicing up my soups/stews by taking roasted veggies of some kind, pureeing them with a stick blender and then adding the mixture to the pot.

1. Is there any reason this is a terrible idea?
2. If no, any particular veggies work/don't work well for this purpose?

You will, by pureeing them, introduce some starch, and too much starch will lead to a mush, rather to something awesome, so avoid starchy veggies (potatoes etc), burnt bell pepper is awesome, as is burnt onions and roasted garlic. I wouldn't do it to leek (don't ask me why, but that just seems kinds... I dunno - but use the green of leeks (bouquet garni).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Help solve a stupid argument?

How does one tell the difference between Daikon and Korean Radish?

One of them is long and thin and the other is short and fat?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Dino - Charmmi wants to be our penpals - I told her yes!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

buttcoin smuggler posted:

At what point, if any, would it become not safe?

When the coating starts flaking, but you shouldn't ask the internet... I am not entirely sure how it actually looks like when you have overheated and the coating turns into carcinogens..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

walruscat posted:

Is there a trick to peeling a soft boiled egg without destroying the egg?

The freshness of the egg...

If you're using fresh eggs, they will be harder to peel - if you're using eggs that are a month old or so - they will be easier to peel...

Also - don't use fresh eggwhites for whipping..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

According to some site on what the rules in the US are:

Random site - do not trust the internet posted:

Farmers have 30 days from the day an egg is laid to get it to stores. Then, the stores have another 30 days to sell the eggs. The USDA recommends a maximum of 5 weeks in your refrigerator before you discard your eggs. What does this all boil down to? On April 1, you could be eating an egg that was laid on Christmas.

But most farmers doesn't wait a month - they have it in the processing plant the next day - then within 2 days they're sold...

Eggs doesn't have to have an expire by date, but if they have it is 45 days after processing - meaning that in extremes you will have eggs waiting with the farmer for 30 days, and then 45 days in a fridge somewhere, before being used..

Eggs are cool.. What is even cooler is that the yolk is one single cell...

But that is another story...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

dino. posted:

Evernote.

Yes!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Anybody have some good bbq sauce recipes to share? The wiki really doesn't have a ton. Bonus points for Memphis or Kansas City styles.

Non-American here.. so I will probably be doing it wrong...

I fill a oven proof pot with about 1/2-1kg of blueberries, add about a cup of dark muscavado, some smoky chili, some lagavullin, some mustard powder, a couple of chopped onions, some canned tomatoes, some garlic (8 or 10 cloves will do) and some apple cider vinegar..

Then I put it in the oven at 110* c (which is around 15 degrees fahrenheit above the boiling point of water, but under the temperature for maillard to kick in), for around 8-10 hours.

Then I take it out, and boil it down (because my pots are tightly sealed).

When I use it for ribs, I basically just put the ribs in the pot afterwards, and then back in the oven for around 6-8 hours at 110 or 12-14 hours at 80... Take them out real gently, and let the whole thing cool...

Then I remove the fat from the barbeque sauce, boil it down till it is really loving obvious that I should stop, brush them and give them 5 minutes to a side on a hot grill - add more barbeque and serve...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Iraff posted:

Whenever I hear people bring up cast iron they seem to cite the fact that it cooks evenly as a big draw, but I just found that demonstration that shows that stainless steel and aluminum both heat more evenly, with less harsh heat gradients. What's the bonus of going cast iron?

As gravitet said, heat capacity - but as you point out, your cast iron will have hot spots to a higher degree than steel with a molten molybdenum core..

You can remedy this by preheating for a longer time - then they'll get more even, but not entirely so.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

walruscat posted:

Thanks. I told my wife what you recommended and now I have to add a food torch to my shopping list for when I move out.

Actually don't - go to a builders market and get an inexpensive torch with a 500g flask instead - because those expensive little torches are poo poo, run out of fuel all the time and generally have a poor build quality (you're paying 5-10 times as much for lesser capacity, but it is a nice conversation piece though).

It is not like there's anything 'food grade' about the food torches that you buy.

Edit: damnit - just do what the other guys says and buy that one with the fancy name..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 8, 2013

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Then call the cops...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Kjermzs posted:

I want to take a serious stab at homemade sushi. Is there a mega thread or other resource that I can be recommended to use?

I know there's several from back in the day, but not lately I think

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Fo3 posted:

Sweet potatoes don't get crispy in the oven is the conclusion I came to after trying myself.
Regular potatoes? Sure, but you need to par boil them and thoroughly dry them first.

I would guess that you would need to do the same with the sweet potatoes - also I would try to treat them like it is done with baking chicken wings - perhaps toss them with a bit of cornflour mixed with a bit of baking soda?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Scientastic posted:

You ask if anyone minds gnawing your meat like a hungry rodent pretty please with sugar on top

:quagmire:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Brennanite posted:

I want to make a pork and pineapple tacos. I've never made tacos from scratch and the recipe calls for chili powder. I hate chiles. What spices would match well with the pork and pineapple instead?

What is it that you hate about chiles? Is it the heat, the smokiness?

The reason why I am asking is because this might change the answer - but you could go with a really mild chile, like paprika instead?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Depends how you view it, but a bell pepper is basically a form of chile, it even has an entry on the scoville scale, of 0 - which I can't really understand I remembered it at 1.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

pile of brown posted:

I've only ever found instant potato flakes to be any good for baking.

Use potato flour?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

EVG posted:

I'll have to try that, I do like me some thinly sliced radishes on things.

Here's a question - is there a way to make pork demi glace with a pressure cooker so it doesn't take like 48 hours? I've never made it before, but recently had ramen made with some and I loved it.

Do you mean the stock?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mich posted:

It could also be a ramen with a tare that is based on a pork demi.

The reason why I am asking is because if you ignore the broth a demi takes around 30 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Killing Loaf posted:

I'm helping cook for my roommate's going away party, and I'm making sweet potato chips. Can I slice them beforehand and keep them until I'm ready to cook, and do I need to do anything to keep the slices fresh? I know white potatoes need to be submerged in vinegar water to keep them from browning.

I think that submerging them and keeping them in the fridge would suffice - but why not just peel them and slice them just before - with a mandolin?

Ninja edit: Wait - are these english chips or american chips?