Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

prayer group posted:

145! That's on the high end of medium for a steak. Kind of daring, but you do you!

Pasteurization is a combination of time and temperature. 145F internal for 9ish minutes is the same as reaching 165.

You can go even lower with an immersion circulator if for some reason you wanted to eat 130F texture chicken.

Edit: speaking of safe meat temp, just in case there's still ppl temping pork to 160F, the FDA recommendation for pork changed awhile ago. They now recommend heating to 145F and rest for 3 minutes.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OTOH I thought 145 was fukkin fantastic

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ehhhhh.

How thick were they? At 134F, a 2 inch steak needs 3.75 hours for pasteurization.

Unless these were some fancy rear end steaks, I'd prob toss em. But I've also had food poisoning from improperly cooked sous vide foods, and I'd rather not experience shooting lava out of both ends for 12 hours straight ever again.

Edit: you're prob fine though

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 11, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sterster posted:

Also, my understanding for meat is that in general the stuff that gets you sick in on the surface of the muscle and not deep within.

Typically yes, and that's usually resolved by searing the gently caress out of the surface in a pan or grill that's likely 400F or hotter.

Unless you are instantly bringing your food up to the target temperature, there's still the lag time that can still produce bacterial growth. The little nasties don't need a whole lot of buddies to make you vomit for a day or three straight.

On the other hand, the time/temp combo is specifically to reduce bacterial contamination risk to like the 0.0001% chance. Your level of concern may differ.

Edit: at one inch, you're right on the line of okay. Pasteurization is achieved by 2 hours held at 134F.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 11, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

How big are the hunks of thigh you're trying to cook?

Hot and fast in a wok only works when you cut your poo poo super thin.

Edit: for big hunks or whole thighs, a hard sear and low and slow until tender is prob the easiest way to get it done. I'll usually aim for over 165F for thighs. They have enough fat and connective tissue to keep things tasty to a much higher temperature.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 17, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

seems like the SV thread is kinda dead, how good is kenji's porchetta recipe?

Good

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Alright goons with spoons I have a beef tenderloin question for preparation.

It weighs 7 pounds.

I have already: taken it out of the wrapper and given it some salt and pepper (scores it a smidge but haven’t removed fat)

My plan is to slow roast it so I’m going to marinate it in the following: red wine, honey, thyme, rosemary, garlic, onion soup mix, and some oil.

Here’s my questions: does that sound okay? Also how long and at what temperature?

Do I need like a raised thing for the meat to sit on with a baking tray underneath? (Please note I don’t own a Dutch oven). Do the carrots and brussel sprouts go in the dish with the meat or do I cook them separately?

Also for sides I have carrots, brussel sprouts with parm and pancetta, baby potatoes with Brie. These will all probably need the oven. What are some tips for maximizing oven efficiency?

Thanks in advance

Edit: not sure why the photo attached sideways but lmbo

Edit 2: do I need to tie this bad boy with butchers twine?

Marinating doesn't do much of anything for that thick of a cut. If you want those flavors, you should incorporate a pan sauce to serve on the side.

A rack helps circulate air underneath but isn't necessary. Trussing it with twine does make it more evenly shaped, as well as gives you that classic roast shape if you're all about traditional BS.

You really, really, really should have an instant read thermometer or a probe thermometer to check internal temp. Going off a basic time/temp guideline is fine, but roasts can vary so much.

My suggestion is to reverse sear it. It's the most foolproof way to get it cooked properly inside and get a decent crust outside.

Edit: regarding veg, do you have stove space? Brussels and carrots can both be done in a pan, and if you're doing the reverse sear, the oven temp isn't gonna be conducive to good veg, it will likely turn both to leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

What to do with the fattier bits of leftover roast beef? It's the sort of fat that starts going melty at skin temperature but I'm not a fan of the texture when it's cold.

Chop and crisp and make fried rice