Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Can you goons help me? I'm terribly uncreative. My fiancee will be home in ~2 hours and I've got two chicken breasts thawing. I want to make her a nice dinner. I have a barely stocked kitchen, and I'd rather not go out, unless I have to. Here's what I have in the kitchen now:

Two chicken breasts
Thin Spaghetti
Macaroni
White rice
Frozen veggies (COrn, carrots, peas)

I have a small selection of seasonings, nothing too fancy. Basil, Parsley, Garlic (In a jar, sorry), salt, pepper, butter, olive oil, cinnamon. I have a few eggs as well and some milk. Does anyone have an idea for something decent with that?

edit: No nuts (Tree nuts or peanuts) please. She's allergic.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Happy, if that was to me, No, we don't keep tomatoes (She doesn't like them). I'll also edit my post, but no nuts, she's allergic. I *THOUGH* I had some chili power but we don't. If you've got something fairly quick and easy I can pop over to the store. I'm just trying to be lazy.

And yes, we have vodka. Have a half gallon of Absolut. We also have some cheap poo poo if whatever cooking will kill the taste.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
That sounds good, but we dont' have any breading, so I'm going to the store. Anything else to pick up that would make something decent? (IE: Now I have a store full of poo poo).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Recently I've been trying to cook with fresher foods. We make a lot of our stuff from scratch (Though it's probably no healthier than the premade poo poo). Either way we've started using fresh garlic in our cooking. However, today I noticed something strange. I bought a few packs of "organic" garlic from the grocery (about a week ago) and opened one pack up, first bulb was fine. Second bulb had a black spot and a fine black powder (For lack of a better description). I threw that bulb away and opened a newer, fresher pack. This pack had the same fine powder. It didn't really look like any soil, but I could be wrong. Is it OK or are the bulbs bad at that point?

edit: I finally found some search terms that said it was a mold. It only seems to be inbetween the cloves and not in the shell of the cloves themselves. Is it OK to use the garlic (wash then take the shell off) or should I chunk it and try to find fresher garlic?

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 25, 2014

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

baquerd posted:

It sounds like a mold, or at least something that shouldn't be there, but I don't really know. I can say that it's easy to find garlic that doesn't have that.

You can usually see dark spots on garlic through the outer peel. Just get garlic heads that look nice and white all the way through and aren't in any way mushy when you feel them.

By the way, organic garlic sounds like a load of poo poo. Maybe, maybe, you could argue against GMO garlic, but organic garlic when you're throwing away everything but the very insides?

Really there's only two types of the "jumbo" garlic (maybe that's my mistake?) at the store. The Spice World "Organic" and the loose bulbs, they're both $.50 a bulb. I bought the Spice World brand. Next time I'll go through the loose ones though to check them out.

I really didn't see any of the black until I opened it up, but I'll look closer at the other bulbs and see if I can see any of the black spots.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Alright goons, anyone got a decent meatloaf recipe that doesn't involve ketchup? We don't use/eat it at all, and I"d rather not have leftovers (or have it on my meatloaf).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

posh spaz posted:

Here's what I use: http://norecipes.com/recipe/best-meatloaf-recipe/

I'm sure you could use like BBQ sauce or something instead of ketchup. It only calls for 3tbsp so you could probably leave it out, but it might make the glaze weird.

Oh my god that looks delicious. I can get most everything close to what they have (like using regular 5 year old paprika), and possibly not using fresh thyme, what would you suggest replacing the cheese with? I don't think anyone in this county, or most of this state for that matter, has even heard of Gruyere.

e: I finally found the chef's recommendations in the comments. Pretty much any "hard" cheese, being Parmesan or cheddar in this area.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 21, 2014

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

posh spaz posted:

Gruyere is a kind of Swiss. You don't have Swiss cheese where you live?

IMO most kinds of cheddar are going to be too greasy. I'd probably use Romano or something sharper. Parmesan is kind of a mild flavor.

We ended up with cheddar. We do have swiss here, didn't know that, not up to date on my cheeses like I should have been.

It came out delicious. Used bbq sauce instead of ketchup, and we forgot a few ingredients in the loaf itself (Some milk and I am a goof and forgot the onions), but it's came out surprisingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there anything we can do with a shitload of fried chicken? We had a birthday party for my son yesterday, and my inlaws bought the "food" (fried chicken). 35 people tops and we ended up with 100 pieces of chicken. I don't think they math (or listen) well. Is there some cool poo poo we can do with it so we're not eating dry leftover Walmart fried chicken (Don't ask, I would have much rather had fast food like Bojangles or KFC over that) for three weeks?