Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I live in Tucson Arizona. I'm thinking I should take a vacation and go to San Diego and eat food and do stuff, since it isn't that far away.

Stuff on my list to do:
Midway Naval Museum
Scripps Institute aquarium
San Diego Zoo
???

Food to eat:
poo poo tons of relatively affordable and definitely fresh seafood

What other stuff should I do? I am a military history nerd, and aquariums/zoos are pretty cool. Not a huge fan of theme parks, but might could do Sea World.

Where should I go for the seafood? Multiple places would be more than fine.

What else should I eat? I don't feel a huge need for Mexican food, since I live in Tucson and can get excellent Mexican food easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Fair enough, I'm sure the fish tacos are a hell of a lot better than here. I'll definitely keep an eye out.
Searsucker looks tasty, Marine aviation too.

I think food wise I'm more specifically looking for the awesome-food/dive-location sorts of places

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 4, 2012

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've regularly seen the California, Arizona and Texano burritos here in Tucson. The California is the only one that is consistent in composition, though. I think the Texano is usually fries, shredded chicken in the red chili sauce and sour cream. Not a great one in terms of staying together but pretty tasty.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Since I like turtles lives in Tucson, he can buy Alesmith at Bevmo. Or at least you could when I lived there, which was a number of years ago; I doubt things have changed. I don't know if they have a restaurant, but if they don't, Alesmith is perfectly accessible in Tucson. I don't remember if the other beers are available in Tucson, though...if they have any distribution outside of San Diego at all I'd bet they are.

Still, they make tasty beer so drink some on tap if you can.

Actually it looks like I can get all three of the ones Gravity suggested.

I obviously have some research to do at the beer store. :feelsgood:

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I have a hankering to start messing around with cherries, pie and quick pickling, maybe some other stuff.
I can only get basic sweet cherries at about $2 a pound, along with rainier cherries at about $5 a pound. I know sour cherries are the normal thing for pies, will sweet cherries work? Would rainiers work for pie too?

I'm thinking about doing a quick pickle on some cherries with star anise, vanilla, and maybe some bitters that fit the theme.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I heard the words "sloppy joes" today and it brought back memories of them from my childhood.

I think there is a very decent possibility of making something really neat and innovative beyond the ground beef, onion and sorta homemade BBQ sauce type recipes with minor variations in spicing, etc, that I'm seeing online. Or, you know, from the can.

So how about it, do you have any classy sloppy joe recipes knocking around?

Or should just I be happy with the basic idea that seems so common?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

:hellyeah: The university meat lab saves the day again: $2.50 a pound sweetbreads.

SBBLT here I come.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Eh, the lab produces better quality, cheaper meat than anywhere else in town, plus they're the only ones that do custom orders on stuff like this.
It's actually a really neat facility, and if I ever decide to switch from computer professional to food professional I'd definitely consider doing their program to learn to be the best drat butcher I could be :911:
http://ag.arizona.edu/ans/meat_sci_lab.html

Unfortunately they don't offer any one off weekend courses or anything, just the full blast "learn to cut up animals for 18 months" track.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've tried a number of different fiber supplements for my IBS. Most of them aren't terribly effective, but Fibersol is great. It has psyllium, guar gum and pectin fiber instead of just psyllium. I saw that guar gum fiber is noted to be particularly effective for IBS sufferers, and it's been pretty good so far.
I also take hyoscyamine as needed, it's a sublingual pill that is an anti-convulsant that helps restore regular bowel motility. Worth checking in to, it takes really quick effect and lasts for a while.

Ah - perhaps the causes are different for the constipation/not-constipation types of IBS, I see the study gravity linked is constipation type.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Hey.

Hey.

Who has a tried and true pozole verde recipe for me?
I'm working through my giant batch of pork green chili stew (which is great with hominy), and I figured I might like to try making a good pozole. Pozole around here is available, but not terribly consistent and I haven't found a place I like yet that is anywhere nearby.
Plus instead of $5 a bowl or whatever, I can make a huge batch for $15-$20 probably.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I got a $500 travel voucher from American Airlines, and I'm thinking about going balls out and doing ~2 weeks in SE Asia. Figure I can do it all for ~$2000 out of pocket.
Probably hit Singapore, Chiang Mai, then Bangkok and home. Has anyone done any cooking schools out there? If so, any recommendations on schools, what to look for, what to avoid, etc?
This looks like a hell of a lot of fun, for instance: http://www.thaifarmcooking.net/home/

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I am very likely going up to Montreal, are there, like, any particular places I need to go for poutine? I'm not talking fancy poutine, I just mean good.
We're probably already going to go to au pied de cochon for our expensive coma meal, unless there's something that blows it out of the water?

bosko posted:

I have a friend who's fairly a beginner cook. He just moved out and he loves all kinds of curry. I'd like to get him a house-warming gift that includes a great book plus some spices. Can anyone recommend a great book along these lines? There's just so many, hard to choose :(

Forums member Dino has a great book with curries and whatnot. It's all vegan but I'm sure you can toss in some paneer or chicken or something into pretty much any of the curry recipes.
http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1352827739&sr=8-3

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 13, 2012

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I went to the shady grocery store last night late to get some dog food and only ran into two people that were really obviously meth heads.
But that's not why I'm posting here.
I'm posting because they had true cinnamon, not cassia, in the produce section. I don't think I've ever actually come across it before, or if I have I didn't realize it.
I feel like I should buy some, but I have no goddamn clue what I should do with whole cinnamon. Anything in particular that I should try out to highlight the flavor of this stuff, maybe making a version with the more common cassia too, to compare them?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

dino. posted:

The cassia will have a milder, sweeter flavour than cinnamon. Toast the cassia with whole peppercorns, a few allspice berries, and some cardamom pods. You want like 3 parts cassia to 1 part allspice, 1 part cardamom, and 1/2 part pepper. Do this over medium heat, shaking the pan constantly to keep the spices moving. As soon as they're toasted to your liking, transfer the whole works to a cold bowl, so that they stop cooking. Grind in a coffee grinder until powdered. You have just made yourself a most delicious chai masala. This also goes great with hot chocolate. This goes even better with piping hot coffee.

If you have some pumpkin, cut it into quarters, and rub this spice blend on the cut sides. Roast until tender. You won't even need sugar, because the natural pumpkin sugars will come to the surface and mingle with the spices.

That sounds amazing. Wait, does the cassia have a milder, sweeter flavor, or does the true cinnamon? Or am I mixed up on my terms - as I recall the stuff most commonly sold in the US as cinnamon is actually cassia, and the real deal cinnamon is relatively uncommon. Is that right?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

What can I do with a goat? It looks like stew is the name of the game, is there anything else where goat particularly shines?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Curry.

Also makes fantastic dry cured ham but that is probably more effort than most people are willing to do.

Interesting. I wonder why pretty much every single goat recipe is a stew/sauce heavy affair? I suppose I've seen sausage too, which practically is just another thing to do with heartier meat and/or scraps. Is it because they're tiny little buggers that move around a lot compared to pigs and cows?
If they're not all stew meat, what cuts on goat are worth working with?

I mean, I like stew as much as anyone, but I'm somewhat hesitant to process a goat if I'm getting the entire cut weight in stew meat.
I've got a little ham, a coppa and a lomo dry aging right now in a spare fridge, so a ham may not be a bad idea.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

rj54x posted:

If there's a TJ Maxx / Marshalls / Homegoods wherever you are, those are all great places to pick up quality cookware heavily discounted.

Hell yes. Even the higher end stuff, I've started collecting all-clad because they're cheap compared to gun collecting and I use them more often. One piece I bought directly from the all clad factory seconds sale, a 12" stainless tri ply pan for like $80. Two I've gotten from TJ Maxx, an 8 qt copper core stock pot for $150, and a 10" copper core pan for $60.
They all work beautifully, even on an electric cooktop, to the point that my cast iron pan isn't in heavy rotation anymore.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Holy poo poo, I think I just made the best thing I've ever made.
I made Spätzle last night and didn't use all of it. So I decided to make Käsespätzle starting with a basic béchamel cheese sauce, a couple different types of cheddar, salt, pepper and nutmeg. This was prepared in the pan after cooking some pork butt bacon I found with shallots.
Spätzle with this cheese sauce+the bacon/shallot mixture and topped with panko.

This is likely to be my potluck food of choice for the foreseeable future.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm going to Pensacola in May for a conference, taking a couple personal days after. I intend to uncomfortably gorge myself on both soul food and cajun food, possibly driving out to New Orleans.
I have never been to the area. Are there any absolute must stop food places around Pensacola, or in between Pensacola and New Orleans (Biloxi, Pascagoula)? I'm looking for hole in the wall, ideally, not higher end.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I don't drink coffee, and can't start because the caffeine does horrible things to me. But, I've started doing airbnb hosting. I live a bit in the boonies, so there aren't really convenient coffee places nearby when I have people stay with me. What's a good option for not absolute poo poo coffee that can be made a cup or two at a time as cheaply as possible?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

My girlfriend has inherited a garden with a ton of horseradish, apparently.
What... what do we do with a ton of horseradish?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I just bought a house, and the previous owners replaced the coil electric stove with a glass top electric stove.
I don't have a NG line in the area for anything approaching a reasonable cost (I think I'd have to pay to get it branched off from the main junction and $10k for a NG stove doesn't sound really practical).

I will eventually be looking at replacing with either a propane fueled range/oven, or an induction cooktop and ??? oven.

I have cooked on NG before and it's great. I haven't cooked extensively on propane, any significant difference?

The claim to fame on induction ranges is that they boil water super fast. Which is cool and all, but... how are they for doing cooking other than boiling water? Every bit of my good cookware is ferrous, so that isn't a concern.

I have some coworkers with an induction range, I'm sure I could beg my way into cooking for them or something, to try out the range.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

dino. posted:

Induction is one of the very few electric ranges that I've ever seen that will respond as quickly as gas will. Propane vs natural gas isn't going to be an appreciable difference, to be honest.

If you've got all magnets cookware, get the induction range, and get an electric convection oven. Tada, problem solved.

Awesome, thanks dino. I may go nuts a few years and get a combi-oven home model too. They're down in the 3500-$5k range, which is still a fat chunk of change to drop on an oven but is at least something fathomable.
Now I just need to find a combination free standing combi-oven and induction range...

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I want to sous vide some pork chops and invite some light miso I have in the fridge to the party. Do I make a miso and I dunno ginger sauce to top the chops after a nice sear, or is there a way to bring the miso into play in the actual cooking process, either while sous videididididing or while searing?
Can I sear stuff with miso on it and get wonderful results?

If I'm going for a straight sauce, how should I get a miso based sauce with a consistency along the lines of a good fresh bernaise?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm going to Baltimore for a conference at the end of May. I don't know exactly where in Baltimore yet because they haven't posted the conference venue yet, but... I figure I'll ask now.
Hole in the wall local joints are my jam - where should I go?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Alright, who here has made black garlic? I'd like to give it a shot, but have seen a number of methods, ranging from:
Sticking garlic heads into a rice cooker on "warm" for 9 days
Same, with a slow cooker for the same amount of time
Sealing them in a jar and putting them into a temperature controlled warm box for 30-90 days

The last seems to produce the most consistent results. Anyone tried this out at all?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone here made shola, the Afghan rice/mung bean dish? I only just found the proper name of the dish and have been binging on YouTube videos of the prep. They say sticky rice, but I'm doubting that it's the same type of sticky rice used in SE Asia - is it? Or is it just short grain rice or other starchy rice like arborio?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I did thanksgiving late because my truck poo poo the bed and I wasn't back in town until close to midnight on Wednesday - long story short, consider adding red miso to the herb butter under the skin on your turkeys or chickens or whatever, it worked quite well.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've seen restaurant back of the house using shallow metal plates, aluminum or steel is my guess, for doing things like letting steaks rest, etc. What are these called so I can find and order online?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Perfect, thanks!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've been in love with Rustichella d'Abruzzo pasta - are there any other widely available awesome pastas I should try?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Is it sane to buy a case of beef cheeks for home use?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I looked around a bit but I'm not seeing anything on this and I'm too lazy to search more.
I like seriouseats.com for food/recipe blogging stuff. Nom nom paleo is pretty good too, though I'm not a subscriber to the paleo diet by any means.

What other good sites are out there I should add to the reading list?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

woksoflife http://thewoksoflife.com/

David Lebovitz http://www.davidlebovitz.com/

Ruhlman http://ruhlman.com/

Migrationology https://migrationology.com/

from belly to bacon drat I can't find this one anymore :( It was a totally killer charcuterie one.

Foodwishes

to name a few.

A few youtube channels I follow, some have blogs, too:

http://www.ramenadventures.com/

elaine zluo, angel wong, saveur, bruno albouze, mario batali, lynn chen, eater, chefsteps, lucky peach tv, cooking with dog :cry:, maangchi, dumpling sisters, taiwan cooking, cici li, vahrehvah, hilah cooking (semi retired), mama cheung, pailin's kitchen, import food, helen's recipes, panlasang pinoy, xiao's kitchen

Awesome, thanks. I can't believe I forgot about maangchi!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I tried making tofu (got a crazy soy milk maker and 5 gallons of dried beans for like $40 so why not) and it ended up being sort of an odd curd. I'm wondering if I over coagulated?
I had roughly two cups of soy milk and added 0.5tsp of food grade gypsum in a tablespoon or two of water after bringing the milk to a quick peak temp of about 180. After 25 minutes I had very little curd separation and added another quarter tsp of gypsum. Half hour later, still nothing, so I tried adding more heat to the equation. This was the ticket and the curds broke out, but the end result was much more like cottage cheese than silken tofu. Still really tasty but I had the impression that both nigari and gypsum were supposed to end up producing something more cohesive.

I also didn't explicitly press, as I was using the okara filter from the soy milk maker. I was looking for relatively soft, but I can rig up pressure if needed for a solid result.

Any of y'all able to troubleshoot tofu?

I might back off to 1/4 tsp gypsum for the next batch to see if I can get more cohesive curd. Luckily soybeans are cheap so...

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I can get what look to be cold, pre fried flats of age tofu from ota tofu in Portland at a local store. I am at a bit of a loss as to how I should actually use it though. Do I refry it? Do I just cut it up and use it cold?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Food and US/Canada international border question. I'm going to Halifax, and will have a 4 hour layover in Montreal on the way back. I'd like to go to Schwartz' and get some smoked meat to bring back into the US.
Looking at https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use it looks like cooked Canadian meat products are OK to bring in as long as they're packaged appropriately and you can show you got them in Canada (label/receipt).
I'm wondering if they're going to balk at probably paper wrapped meat from Schwartz's. Does anyone have any first hand experience? Is it all going to depend on the CBP person's mood?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Something I've been wondering about, how much does the time between a cold pan/pot/whatever and target heat really matter?

Say in the case of boiled eggs, how important is the heat transfer during the heating to boiling stage, and does an electric range taking 8 minutes to boil some volume of water ultimately transfer more heat in that time to the eggs than an induction range that can bring it to a boil in 2 minutes?

The heat transfer of "take off the boil and cover+wait for X minutes" is the same in either case, but if there is less heat transferred in the bring to boil stage on induction, the after boil time segment would require more time with induction than electric. Right? Either that or all that really matters is getting the water to boiling, or the difference between the heat delivered to the egg in the two heating curves is not enough to matter outside of a chemistry lab or something?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Awesome, thank you. Makes a lot of sense. One of those things where thinking about it I was pretty sure, but had lingering doubt about my assumptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

ShinAli posted:

Did I make my gnocchi correctly?

After having been on Blue Apron for awhile I decided to try my hand at making my own thing, without following a recipe or anything. I really liked the gnocchi dishes so I tried to make my own, following the article by Serious Eats. The final product came out differently than I expected, like it came apart easily as soon as it got into your mouth. It was still pretty good, but the gnocchi I got from Blue Apron had more of a chew to them. I'm not sure if mine wasn't right, though, as I've seen gnocchi described as a melt-in-your-mouth thing.

If I wanted more chew, would that be solved with more flour? Not sure yet if I should change it, I'm just worried they're really delicate and I'd have to be extra careful when adding them to my sauce.

I'd say you did make your gnocchi correctly - in that often the goal is to have them light and pillowy and wonderful. That said, there's nothing wrong with getting them to be a bit more robust if you want, the blue apron ones were 99.99% likely made by machine which was not so gentle with the dough and forming. Note that in that recipe they repeatedly mention that gluten formation is not the goal, hence the very, very light touch on mixing everything together, cutting, etc.
If you'd like them chewier/denser, you don't need more flour - you need more gluten formation. Mix it by hand more thoroughly, roll it out more, etc. Basically, do all the things they tell you not to do in the article.