Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is it pronounced gee-ro or guy-ro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

teh winnar! posted:

There's just something about the texture of raw/undercooked that triggers my gag reflex, regardless of flavor.

I know that feeling. Its never been taste for me, minus a few specific things, I never bite into a veg and go "OH GOD THIS IS loving DISGUSTING" and spit it out. I'll sit, chew on it, munch it, grind it down to a lovely, wet paste then I start to swallow and my tongue will immediately shoot to the roof of my mouth, trapping the mush and only allowing whatever is on the sides of my tongue to go down my throat. It happens every time, and I start to get disgusted with the wet mush in my mouth that makes me spit it out.

The worst thing is people who opt to mock it instead of bothering to help, insisting you "just need to get over it". My veg intake is basically mushrooms, spinach and asparagus at this point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I give a quick rinse on my mushrooms though thats more of the fact after seeing my customers at work I wouldn't want to put something in my mouth that they may have touched without giving it a wash.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a fast way to dry out rice for fried rice so it doesn't stick together?

Comedy option

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I recently made myself a homemade sauce, tastes great. Problem: I was to boil it to "desired thickness". I never noticed a change in the consistency, and thought it was still too thin. I eventually stopped boiling it as I was afraid of ruining it. Added it to my meat, tasted great, then I came back about half an hour later and the sauce has basically become a jelly.

So.. how do I know that the sauce would get to that point? It was virtually unchanged in consistency while boiling. Should I stop boiling, let it rest, check the consistency then reboil it if needed?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

legendof posted:

I take a spoonful or two out and put it in a small bowl to cool while the sauce is still on the stove. When the cooled spoonful is almost thick enough, the sauce on the stove is done.

E: I do this not just for sauces but anything thickening on the stove - custard, lemon curd, etc.

Perfect, I was worried of adding extra time waiting for it to cool, reheat, repeat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm currently trying out different types of veggies in stir fries to try and diversify (also mushrooms, the one thing grown in the ground that I do like, are freaking expensive), is there a website that gives a rough estimate on how long different veggies fry for? Trying to look up individual recipes has times all over the place, and I'm assuming that is because the recipe assumes other ingredients are in the skillet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I recently saw a Monte Cristo, and thought man... that looks loving bomb. How feasible is it to make one with burger buns instead of sliced bread/sliders? Would flattening the buns work out, or are buns simply not absorbent enough for the eggs?

E: I ask because I currently don't have any sliced bread, just buns.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Any reason to not just chop mushroom stems in with the rest? I guess only if they’re super fibrous/hard? Seems some folks get rid of everything but the caps?

I eat the stems. Provided I only eat white mushrooms as these are the only loose mushrooms that are sold at work, and iirc those are "young" crimini so maybe the stems for those are more tender. Steamed, sauteed, stir fried, thrown into some hamburger helper, stems are good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does pork sirloin really expire so quickly? At work I can never find some that doesn't have an expiration date of 2 days, and cooking for one I struggle to eat 3-4 pounds of pork in 2 days.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

tuyop posted:

Once you cook it it’ll last until the heat death of the universe. Or until it smells bad. Whichever comes first, I guess.

I'm gonna take your word for this, but if I get food poisoning I'm gonna collect all my vomit in a bag and mail it to you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Didn't we have an instant pot thread?

VV Thank you

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 21, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Unrelated to the last question but I just returned some pork as it was getting grey all over. Not just the top but the underside and all sides. My replacement pork... also had some gray, where the 2 chunks touched. Is this going to kill me?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

:eyepop: brb gonna go harvest a whole field of romaine.

poo poo man I'm gonna stash the rotten romaines at work. Gonna trip balls in the back :2bong:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I use the sauce in this recipe for stir frying. While its great for a stir fry with mushrooms, I'm trying out broccoli, carrots and snow peas and I don't really think a thick sauce would gel well with those. I figure omitting the cornstarch and dropping the amount of water (maybe to a quarter cup?) will help in making a thin sauce, but what about the rest of the ingredients? As I wont be boiling the sauce, should I also omit the honey? I'm planning on mixing it up in a bowl and dumping it on top of the food and let it heat up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I purchased a delicious linguica sausage, generally I buy smaller links but wanted some bigger meat in my mouth. How many days would they last after I cut into them?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
An instant pot is amazing. Grab some pork loin, throw it in with a can of dr pepper for about an hour and a half and bam, shredded pork for the week. Use it in sandwiches, burritos, in a stir fry, omelettes, whatever else you can think of it.

Could do this with chicken breast too, or really any meat. Just pork loin is the cheapest per pound in my area. Its also extremely lazy, bunch of online recipes say to saute every side of the loin but... honestly I struggle to taste a difference between sauteing it and not. Certainly not enough to justify the extra time + oil evaporation coating the edges that are a bitch to clean.

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 11, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah but can I use it to make DUMP MEALS?

I know you're not poo poo talking my waifu Cathy Mitchell, right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whats a fast way to prep pomegranates? Also I have a pomegranate tree up front and half of one hanging into my backyard, I'm the only person in this household who likes them. What can I do with the metric ton I got?

Besides putting them in a bowl and eating them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been interested in trying out mushroom cap burgers, where the cap is the patty. Basically everything I see online says to grill them, but I don't have a grill. Any particular reason I can't throw it in an oven on a grill on a baking sheet?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've recently started making meals with large mushroom caps, mainly burgers. Is there an easier way to drain out water from them that isn't me pulverizing the cap? I've pressed it between paper towels but as I get closer to the center, my buns get soggy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tonight I have made some fried tofu steaks/sticks/fingers/whyisn'tthereagneralconcensusontheterm and they're pretty bomb. I pressed the hell out of my block and sliced it into quarters, then marinated in some worcestershire sauce. I feel that has overpowered the tofu, it even manages to go through the bbq sauce I'm dipping these in. What is something I can mix in with the sauce to cut the worcestershire flavor?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Logs. You put tofu logs in your mouth.

But isn't that what happens after you put a bunch of tofu in your mouth?

One hell of a snipe!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheCog posted:

Press your tofu.

This is an extremely important bit. I've went and bought myself a tofu presser, even in an extra firm tofu there is over half a cup of water in a block of tofu. You want that out of there, this is not a step you get to skip. Not only will that water make the tofu soggy when you cook it, thats where all the soy flavor is that will overpower your sauces.

Press the hell out of it, throw it in a bag with some soy sauce (E: I realize the irony in telling you to press water to remove the soy taste and then to add soy sauce. Fermented salty soy sauce is way more tasty then soy water :v:) to marinade for half an hour, coat it in breading of your choice and shallow fry it.

This is some tofu sticks I made before, served it with pasta and bbq sauce to dip in. Wasn't too bad, satisfies a fried food craving.

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 24, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Bring the trees back, but also bring a chainsaw. Saw down a nearby tree and let them know what will happen if they make another mistake.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

big black turnout posted:

Got a bottle of smoked soy sauce the other day, but have literally no idea what to do with it. Thoughts?

Using it as a marinade in tofu sounds delicious.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

How do I go about prepping this for use in a pasta sauce? Strangely enough googling "El mexicano carne de soya" brings up a bunch of webpages and videos in spanish :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

It looks like TVP just Google that you'll get a million results. I've never used it but it looks like the jist is reconstitute it in stock or just let it simmer in the sauce for about 10 minutes.

Maybe you can brown it in oil after you rehydrate it IDK.

Oh drat, it's also known as TVP. Thank you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just pour it out on the road, its the city's problem now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't know how much you want to have a traditional crust, but how about giving a mushroom pizza a try? Get a portabella cap, scrape out the gills, wipe down the outside and rub oil around it, salt and pepper. Throw it in an oven set to 400 for about 5 minutes, then take it out and top it, throw it back in for another 15 or however long your toppings need.

Be sure to put it on a rack so moisture from the mushroom doesn't soak in the cap.

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 13, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I visited my mom recently and she made a biscuit and egg casserole and it was loving great. I want to make one myself, but add mushrooms cause I'm a mushroom fiend. Would the oil from the cheese and the liquid from the eggs/milk cook the mushrooms, should I saute them before throwing it in the oven or will that make them burn? Or should I saute midway through cooking and toss them on top?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cook them and add onto the pizza.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
While I can't think of something to do with the brine, I can think of something you can do with one of those bottles of sauce :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Find some way to use that in a stir fry, sounds amazing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've recently started making my own mozzie sticks and I was thinking... you know, those baybel cheese in the wax... what if I fried those? How do they stand up to being fried? Is this an awful mistake or pure junk food bliss?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

lilbeefer posted:

Upset I didn't wait and read the tip about using the whey to cook the rice.

Whey to go!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Also I have 3 pounds of shredded chicken. What should I do with it

Light oil in a skillet
Toss in mushrooms
Wait until they start to get soft
Throw in shredded chicken
Mix soy sauce and brown sugar at a 1:1 ratio
Pour into skillet and let that poo poo cook through
Send to me

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Roast them and then go to twitter and post the picture with #untitledgoosegame

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I feel like I should ask this in the stupid questions thread but it is food related and I think I'll get a better answer here:

Are there any savory meals, namely those with a protein like beef or lamb, that uses chocolate or mint as an ingredient and is actually good? I've been watching all sorts of Ramsay reality shows lately and several times people will come up with a dish that either has mint or chocolate as a sauce for it. Not only does Ramsay never like them, even before he tastes it he goes "you loving what", which makes me think that its just not possible to mix these flavors. And yet so many try. So I'm curious if anyone has actually had a satisfactory chocolate or mint sauce used with meats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thanks everyone this was enlightening.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also chocolate in chili

Wait what?