Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ninjewtsu posted:

I get that, I don't expect 2 dishes from 2 different restaurants to be, like, identical, but my experiences with thai noodle soup (including my time in thailand) has been one of an especially wide variety of soups, even just assuming I'm always getting beef and never changing up the protein

I guess I mostly just want to know what directions I can take a basic recipe in, especially if I can recreate even a similar flavor to some of my favorites.

Also if there's any kind of resource on the massive variety of thai sauces (the kind you get separately and combine with a protein and a vegetable and rice every bite) I'd really, really love that. I've gotten my mom to show me how to make a few in the past and tried to jot down an ingredient list but several use ingredients I couldn't identify (and she wouldn't really explain) that are definitely procured from an Asian market. The basics of all of them are "pepper, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar" and I know of one that includes at least shrimp paste as well (I believe other ingredients too?), as well as one that omits one of these base ingredients but I don't know which one. I'm not really expecting to find the specific sauces my mom makes but I would very much like to see what else is out there that i could make.

This is starting to feel a bit too specific for a general questions thread, but i dunno if starting a new thread for this would really be appropriate in this forum. I definitely appreciate the resources that have been provided thus far, I'm going to see about picking up some of those cookbooks soon, and I've already bookmarked that YouTube channel

Some ingredients that your mum may have used could be galangal, ginseng, turmeric root, Thai basil and holy basil. Galangal is similar to ginger root and you could use ginger if you can’t find it. I’ve not been able to find ginseng root in any local Asian markets near me in Sydney, but I can get turmeric root really easily as it’s popular as a ‘superfood’ with health foodies here. You could grow your own Thai and holy basil if you can’t find it on sale as I’d bet you’d find the seeds online easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

My sister has just got the results back from her food intolerance test and it turns out she’s intolerant to garlic. The horror!

What cuisines should we be looking at which don’t use garlic so much?

Is it specifically garlic or all alliums? Because garlic is easy enough to leave out of recipes, but all alliums would need more creativity.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Second on the metal prep bowls in various sizes, plus a whole range of little ramekins etc to hold prepped ingredients.
Also a heat diffuser to use on my hob for when I’m simmering something in a pot for a long time, it really helps to spread the heat and makes such a difference.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Use fine semolina and shake it off just before you put it in the water.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That Works posted:

How do you use them / in what way? Just never cooked with them or came across recipes relying on them yet.

They’re used in Middle Eastern and North African recipes mainly. You don’t need a lot as the flavour is really strong, but they add a distinctive flavour to dishes. I’ve used them in Tagines before.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

sterster posted:

So I've been using some flat rice noodles and the package says to put noodles in a bowl and over with hot water to cook for like 12min. Every time I do this though a good portion of the noodles end up being stuck together as if super glued. What am I doing wrong or how should I be cooking them?

Are you gently separating them while they are soaking or just leaving them? Sometimes the noodles are ‘stuck’ together in the packet and need moving about a bit as they soften.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Grand Fromage posted:

tbh I wish wine was exclusively screw cap. Corks are an anachronistic pain in the rear end.

Australian wine is 99% screwcap now, even the expensive top end bottles. A very few vineyards use cork as part of their traditional ethos such as Rockford in the Barossa Valley who still use wooden vats and older equipment for example.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I feel like I'm some sort of rice rebel or something. I just rinse my rice under running water, dump it in a saucepan, pour boiling water from the kettle over it until the pan is 3/4 full, then boil white rice for 12 minutes brown for 25 and then drain it. I finish by putting the rice back in the hot pan with the lid on and let it sit for 10 minutes or so before eating.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Or even some Vegemite, that could work too. Give them a try and see.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Steve Yun posted:

Lol WTF am I supposed to grind in this

Edit: ok it’s a piece of garbage. My big one dusted a handful of black pepper in seconds, after a minute in the small one I still had whole peppercorns.

It could work for grinding sesame seeds for Tonkatsu sauce at the table.
A long time ago I had a small porcelain mortar like that and I tried to bash down chilli and garlic in it and just succeeded at breaking it!
I have 2 granite ones and they are awesome.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi General Questions Thread! My wife and I are trying to eat healthier so I've been trying to think of healthier things to cook, and my cooking repertoire is pretty limited. I'm a big spinach, garlic, and chickpea fan so I'm wondering about doing a pasta dish with all of them in it. How would sauteeing garlic and spinach with pasta and chickpeas work? Trying to keep it simple here, but would something like that work? If so, how would I want to order it in terms of the sautee? How much olive oil would I use if I wanted to do like 8 ounces of pasta (thats half a usual box you buy at a grocery store, right?) with like half a head (or maybe the whole thing) of garlic, several ounces of spinach, and a can of uncooked chickpeas? My gut tells me I would cook the pasta separate and heat the oil, put garlic in for a little, then add and cook down the spinach, then add the chickpeas for a minute, then add pasta and serve? Maybe sprinkle some parmesan cheese and a little black pepper on top? Or is this just a bad idea? Thanks!

Yotam Ottolenghi has a wonderful recipe for chickpeas with pasta. I've cooked this a few times now and it's lovely. Give yourself plenty of time to strip the thyme leaves off the stems as it's a time (:dance:) consuming job!

Gigli with chickpeas and za'atar

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

DasNeonLicht posted:

This looks like a pro-tier recipe — thanks

It is! I really like Ottolenghi's recipes and I can recommend the book, Simple, that this recipe came from too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Insert jpeg of Hogarth’s Gin Lane here.

I love Gin but I reckon you’d have to drink way too much of it to get those reputed benefits from the added botanicals as they’d only be in small doses in a single measure.
I’m happy that Gin has become the drink de jour as there are many interesting small distillers popping up using an interesting range of botanicals to flavour their Gins such as using native Australian plants.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Qubee posted:

Have fallen in love with a takeaway sushi place. Had an amazing vegetable futomaki, and there's a small yellow vegetable / fruit that I can't figure out. It's slightly sweet, and very very crunchy. I have no idea what it is and Google doesn't help. Does anyone know what it might be? It's super crunchy and tastes just sweet, no other flavour.

I would guess Burdock too, it’s naturally white but is often dyed to look like carrot when it’s used in sushi. Funnily enough I made a salad using Burdock last night, it’s really tasty.
Next time you’re there ask them if it is Burdock, Japanese gobō .

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Steve Yun posted:

I have two turkey legs from thanksgiving. They were seasoned, cooked sous vide, vacuum bagged and then frozen. What should I do with them

Turkey curry, or keep them for this years Thanksgiving and create a four legged turkey to astound your guests.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Sandra Lee.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

They're not really that common in the UK.

I reckon a grill would work Qubee, try it and see how you like it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Because the potato is baked in it’s ‘jacket’
You can call it a baked potato, a baked jacket potato or just a jacket potato. All the same thing.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A kilo of minced beef at my supermarket is AUD$9.50

A kilo is 2.2lb
AUD$9.50 = USD$6.65

So a lb would be approx $3

That's just ordinary mince beef though, organic beef mince is AUD$21.00 a kilo. or USD$14.70, so about $7 a lb.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A tip for the eggs going into fried rice is to mix a little soy sauce into the eggs before you scramble them, or before you start making the fried rice make an omelette and cut it into strips and add it to the fried rice at the end.
A tsp of soy for 2 eggs is a good amount to use.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Squashy Nipples posted:

Umami in the base!
Throw in a Tbl of miso paste if you have it, or some Worcestershire sauce, and don't forget some celery. I put celery in pretty much every soup and stew.

Or some Vegemite/Marmite.
Anchovies would work too, or soak some dried shitake mushrooms and add the liquid and the mushrooms.
You get the idea.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Qubee posted:

Why is lamb so expensive? £13 for 1.3kg of shoulder at my local butcher, it hurts my bank balance. And most of it was fat and bone.

It's lamb season in Australia and New Zealand. However, Australia is in severe drought and lots of farmers have only been able to raise a small amount of livestock this year. There are simply less lambs and the price here has risen sharply.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-07-14/why-lamb-roast-is-off-the-table/11306548

That's why lamb in the UK now is so expensive, you import it from us this time of year.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Qubee posted:

So it's safe to say the prices will drop when lambs actually in season here around Spring time? I might just start eating it seasonally cause I can't afford this even though I love it.

Yeah, I reckon that's a fair assumption.
It's a good idea to try to eat as seasonally as you can anyway, not only is it cheaper but produce is generally tastier when it's in season for you.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This explains why lamb is generally thought of as a tough chewy meat in the US, because it could actually be mutton but you're cooking it as lamb and not getting good results.
Actual lamb cooked medium rare is beautiful and soft and delicious.
Unfortunately it's a rare treat for us now due to price and also we've cut down on red meat consumption a lot.
Surprisingly lamb mince is still a reasonable price in Aus so kofte are still on the menu.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

barkbell posted:

So I got drunk last night and ordered 50 bux of whole spices of like every flavor of cardamom and blade mace and whatever else. What are some bomb curry recipes I can do?

Sounds like you need some Massaman and Rendang curry in your life.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Related question, how do you dispose of the used oil?

I don't deep fry very often and I tend to put the oil back in it's original container and then just put it in the bin.
I also wipe off oily cooking equipment with (recycled) paper towels before washing them so that less oil goes down the drain.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You can get vegetarian ‘fish’ sauce now and oyster mushroom sauce too. Lots more vegetarian and vegan subs for ingredients are popping up now.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It can happen sometimes with screwtops.
There should be a ring on the bottom of the cap that is perforated and detachable. It's supposed to break loose as you twist allowing you to open it (sorry if this sounds patronising and it's info you already know) and it seems like that's not happening. See if you can pull that ring away from the top another way.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

DasNeonLicht posted:

pyf roast chicken recipes please, tia

Yotam Ottolenghi's Simple roast chicken with preserved lemon

I've made this before and I'm making it for Christmas dinner this year with the new potato dish and a different salad.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Wow, I always heard that Korean food had become very sweet, but holy moley the amount of sweet things going into that marinade :eyepop:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

jvick posted:

Am I blind or is there no BBQ thread?!

I have the feeling that any BBQ thread on these forums would very quickly devolve into US goons 'debating' which regional US style of BBQ is 'better'.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

toplitzin posted:

What's the sticky yam thing that the old man choked on in Tampopo?
Maybe that stuff?

Tororo I think that's called.

Anime Schoolgirl could also be talking about natto :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah mint and lamb are a classic flavour combination just like pork and sage is.

A British roast lamb is not complete without mint sauce.

eta: to add on to Thai cooking using mint a lot, Vietnamese cooking uses mint as a major part of its cuisine and pairs it with chicken a lot along with coriander.

Helith fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 1, 2020