Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Lately I've been finding my amount of time and money slowly decreasing so I've been browsing GWS for a little bit looking for help. I have a slow cooker that I love to use but have been looking for new recipes to try. There are a few that I've found on the wiki but is there a slow cooker thread that my forums-gazing missed?

VV Would you mind posting a more descriptive recipe? Any excuse to buy more alcohol :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is a clove of garlic a whole head or just one of the little pieces?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What sort of blade design should I look for in a bread knife?

VV It's just that I bought one a couple weeks ago and it's not that great.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 5, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just bought some bitters to make one of the recipes on the wiki, should I refrigerate it after opening? I'm guessing no since you don't refrigerate most other things with that sort of alcohol %.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have a big veggie platter left over from a party this weekend (stuff like carrots, celery, grape tomatoes etc) and I'm trying to figure out how to eat them. I haven't used my crockpot in a while so I was thinking of making a stew or something like it using all those veggies. Seems like the obvious call is something like a chicken noodle soup, but those usually have too much broth for my taste (I like my soup a little more thick). Does anyone here have a favorite chicken noodle / veggie-[Meat] stew they could share with me?

E: Would I be crazy for chopping up all the veggies, throwing them with a few chicken breasts into my cooker, and covering them with beer? Because I suddenly had a flash of inspiration.

VV Just like chicken broth or something?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 25, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I made the White Chicken Chili recipe off the wiki (which is amazing, by the way) but I overestimated the size of my slow cooker and have about a pound of soaked great northern beans I need to use. Any quick ideas?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What the hell do you do with bay leaves? A few recipes that I've tried lately call for them but I can't tell what I'm supposed to do with them, or what effect they're having. I throw a leaf or two in whole when I'm told to, and when it's done I still have this hard-rear end piece of plant matter that look unchanged and wholly not for consumption, nor can I pick out any sort of flavor that might be leaf-flavor. What's up with them? Is it better to crush them up before use? Toss them once the dish is finished?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 23, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Not sure where I should ask this, but I figure that cooks clean a lot of dishes so I'll ask it here. I brought some protein powder/insta-meal mix thing to work and mixed it up in my water bottle, and now my water smells really bad (it's one of those aluminum bottles). Is there a good way to wash the smell out of my bottle while still leaving it in a state where I can drink from it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have a can of re-fried beans that I need to get into my belly in a cheap, delicious manner. I was thinking of mixing them with some rice and making some sort of naked burrito sort of thing but I'm open to other suggestions. Who has a good idea?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If I wanted to mix up some spices into some sort of sweet-rear end spice blend, what would be the best way to store them to keep it fresh? Or is that something I don't need to worry about?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've come into possession of a few yellow and orange bell peppers, which I don't normally cook with since they have a sweeter, less-peppery (in my mind) taste than their red and green counterparts. Any suggestions as to what I should do with them? Bonus points if the idea involves a slow cooker.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have a .txt file on my computer that I've been copy+pasting recipes into over the past several months, and it's getting long enough where I need to better organize it. How do people handle their self-compiled cookbooks in the digital age? How do you organize everything properly? Just something like a Word document with a couple keywords on each recipe?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have a recipe I'm going to try tomorrow that calls for some bacon, and I realized that I've never cooked bacon before. I assume that I just put it in a hot pan and flip it around until it's cooked, but I don't need to put oil in the pan beforehand do I?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I needed some spinach for a recipe today but my local grocer doesn't sell it in any amount other than "huge fuckoff bundle" so now I've got lots of spinach that I don't want to waste. Any suggestions for things to do with it other than making salads out of it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A recipe that I found and want to try calls for "Spanish rice". What's that? A certain kind of grain, or rice seasoned in a certain manner, or...? The recipe makes it sound like something you can buy in a discreet discrete package.

E: Is it "discreet" or "discrete"? Chrome says both are valid spellings :negative:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 4, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have an excess of already-soaked red kidney beans (maybe a couple of cups). What should I do with them?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
In an effort to not be so hungry at work in the mornings I've started getting into making eggs for breakfast. Any of you goons have a favorite way of doing eggs in the morning? All I can really think of is scrambling them mixed with some Sriacha and shredded cheese, I had a couple of slightly-stale tortillas laying around too so I've tried making some sort of really bare-bones breakfast burrito with those, to mixed success (mostly due to stiff tortillas). I'm more interested in various ways to season or flavor said eggs, I could obviously just throw some chopped veggies in when I make them for a bigger meal.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 14, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have turmeric in my spice cabinet and I don't remember why I bought it. Suggestions for where to use it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Comic posted:

It's not a very flavorful spice but it will dye the heck out of anything. It has a lot of nice health benefits, as well as being antibacterial, but if you add too much it gives your food a noticeable tingly/numbing sensation. I mostly use it in curry, and I'll add a little bit to ginger tea if my throat is feeling terrible.

But like I said, it will dye EVERYTHING so don't use it in plastics or anything that'll hold a stain unless you want it to be yellow.

Edit: I used it recently in this recipe which has been delicious. I have used catfish and also swai. I also don't use anywhere near the amount of oil it says to, only using enough oil to liberally coat the onions while sauteing. I generally add a can of tomatoes and green chiles too before the fish.

That sounds delicious, thanks for this (and to the rest of you for your turmeric tips)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Comic posted:

Edit: I used it recently in this recipe which has been delicious. I have used catfish and also swai. I also don't use anywhere near the amount of oil it says to, only using enough oil to liberally coat the onions while sauteing. I generally add a can of tomatoes and green chiles too before the fish.

Update to say that this is really delicious, if you're debating what to try making next I highly recommend this recipe (I also took your advice re: catfish and tomato & chile cans, but I thought that 1/2 cup was a perfect amount for the 2 large onions the recipe calls for)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A few weeks ago I got my blood pressure checked (no, this was not motivated by the blood pressure thread in GBS) and one of my numbers was high. Since I'm in pretty good shape and going through a stressful job change + move I think I know why it's high, but just in case do you all have any advice for things I should/shouldn't cook with in order to keep my blood pressure at an OK level? Yes, they did tell me to watch how much salt I eat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

baquerd posted:

What was your blood pressure? Watching how much salt you eat can change your blood pressure by maybe 5-10 points. Maybe. Or it might not affect it at all.

133 for the top number, I believe. Like I said I think I can chalk it up to the stress of changing jobs and living places while constantly arguing with my S.O. about it, but at the same time I recently got on the wrong side of 25 so I figure now's a good time to start asking questions like this, especially as it pertains to cooking since I only see myself cooking more in the future. The rest of that poo poo can go to E/N :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is skating pretty close to E/N territory but since it's related to dining I wanted to ask- if you got a burger or something at a little greasy diner and found a small hair in your sandwich, what would you do? The GF and I got lunch together today and this happened to her, and she's been pissed off at me ever since for not taking it to the counter and cussing them out or whatever. I feel like in a diner that's going to happen every once in a while and it's purely by accident and not worth some poor kitchen guy's job, but I've also never worked in a restaurant so I don't know other people's standards on the issue. Obviously hair in food is gross but for a greasy spoon like that I'm fine with not causing a scene over one tiny piece of hair, am I crazy for feeling this way?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are some oils better than others when it comes to frying? I tried making fried chicken a couple times recently and the batch I made with vegetable oil tasted better than the one where I used olive oil. I'm not sure if I fouled up the breading, or if I had higher quality chicken on the veg oil night, or if the type of oil makes that much of a difference.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My girlfriend bought some bananas a few days ago and she hasn't touched them, and now that they're getting mushy I was thinking of making some smoothies with them. I've not made them before, but I'm under the impression that it goes like this:

Banana
Other fruit (strawberries)
Ice cubes
Milk
Mix all in blender

Does that sound about right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Would soy milk work OK? That's all we have right now, but I guess I'd have to go out and get some other fruit anyway.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I found honey but I can't seem to find any other that other stuff you mentioned.

Maybe I should throw in these peanut butter/chocolate chips I found instead :haw:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
First round of smoothies turned out alright and I'm going to try some more later this weekend. I was going to freeze the strawberries that I bought for later use to that end, what's the best way to store those for a freezer? Ziploc bag?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Girlfriend bought a vegetable platter for a presentation at work, and most of it didn't get eaten so now we have lots of "finger food" vegetables (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery, squash slices, radish slices, and cauliflower bits). I'm cutting up half of them to try and make some kind of crockpot chicken veggie soup tomorrow, but could I make a good vegetable stock from the other half? Should I? How would I even do that- simmer the veggies in water for X amount of time, then collect the liquid?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 30, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is probably too open-ended, but I got some drinking stones from a holiday gift exchange at work and I've decided I need to drink a little more hard liquor, at least at home. What kind(s) of alcohol would you all say have the most to benefit from being chilled in such a way?

Also, when you freeze them do you do so in any particular way? Mine came with a little cloth bag so I was under the assumption I could just leave them in the bag and throw the whole thing in the freezer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Aw :( I never thought about it in terms of thermodynamics before but that's still a bummer to realize. I guess I have cool-looking rocks now?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bowmore posted:

I'd say re-gift them to someone who you don't care that much about.

Already opened them before posting :doh: My brother turns 21 in a few weeks maybe I will just give them to him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I know this is a really silly question to ask here but I gotta know- what's the difference between a muffin and a cupcake? At first I thought it was fruit (muffin) vs confection (cupcake), but then you have things like chocolate chip muffins. Then I thought it was a difference in cake material, where muffins have to have white breading and cupcakes can be whatever, but then you have chocolate cake muffins which aren't white. Now I think it's a difference in the density of the cake material? I got really bored at work today and started trying to figure out the distinction but I don't know enough about baking to say.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to make some kind of chicken noodle soup in my slow cooker, how would you recommend cooking the noodles? Are they OK to throw in at the start with everything else or would it be better to cook them partially first, then add them to the pot towards the end?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tweek posted:

The second one. Slow cooked noodles turn to mush.

That's what I was thinking. How would you recommend cooking them then, throwing them uncooked in the cooker for the last 20 minutes or so?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
For whatever reason I saw alligator meat at my grocery store in Bumblefuck, IL the other day, so now I have a pound of alligator meat. Any idea what I should do with it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
For the purposes of a boxed dinner, is alligator closer to chicken or seafood?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

fatherdog posted:

Taste-wise it's definitely closer to chicken. What do you mean by "for the purposes of a boxed dinner"?

Different cook times for one vs the other.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I signed up to bring a side dish to a department potluck/meeting tomorrow, and I've just realized that I don't have too many good side dish recipes. I have a couple of stand-bys I could go to but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if any of you goons have a quick one I could put together for tomorrow. Everyone is bringing something so I don't need a huge amount. Bonus points for anything that can be made using a microwave right before the meeting for maximum freshness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If you had a half-dozen peeled potatoes sitting in your fridge, what would you do with them?