Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Dammit, I only figured out what the implication of "Whirled Peas" was after I explained out loud to my husband that "holy crap, half of GWS is closed down!"

My parents have about two pounds of quinoa in their freezer that my sister left behind. Seeing as how my sister is into healthy, all-natural food, and my parents...not so much so, what kind of tasty things can my parents make with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Hey dudes, I have a citrus tree out back that's hardy enough to grow in northeast GA (near Athens). It has long spines on the branches and produces golf ball sized fruit that starts out green and ripens to bright yellow with a little fuzz on the fruit. The fruits are full of seeds (like 15-20 seeds per fruit) and have an opaque bright yellow-orange juice that is quite tart but not as tart as, say, a common lime. Is it a bitter lemon tree? I have no idea, but I wanna do stuff with it cause it's right outside the kitchen door behind the house.

Am I gonna die if I use the juice for things? I wanna play with the flavor and color of it, but I'm not totally sure what plant it is, exactly. Any ideas? I can take pictures later if anybody needs me to, I was just thinking about it and figured I'd go ahead and ask.
Sounds like you possibly have a Calamansi. However, from your description of just the tree (not the fruits) you perfectly described my parents' thorny tangerine.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I've been watching a lot of Maanchi's Korean cooking videos because I've been craving kimchi. Something she's used pretty often is kosari, or fernbrake. Anyone eaten it before? What's it like textural-wise? I imagine it as being crunchy, like bean sprouts.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Nah, it's actually mushy, kind of like cooked bamboo. Imagine any greens you've had with stems, except with thicker stems. The taste is... kinda savory? Like halfway between greens and mushrooms.
Ah, drat. Crunchy is one of my favorite texture profiles when it comes to food. :shobon: The way you described the taste is intriguing though, I'll try it anyway. Thanks!

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

My sister wants me to bake a gluten-free cake for her wedding this summer. I already have a recipe that she likes, but there are a few ingredients that I have never worked with before. Sorghum flour, tapioca flour, and xanthan gum. I imagine I could get the first two at a place like Whole Foods (if it exists here), and xanthan gum maybe off the internet. My question is, has anyone else used these ingredients much before, and what do I need to know in particular about them, if anything?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I'm in North Carolina. I did a bit of research, and there's no Whole Foods branch in my area, but there's a few other (apparently overpriced) health foods stores around.

Is it feasible to fly with already opened bags of those ingredients? It doesn't make much sense to me to have my family buy new products and then not have much use for them after I leave. While we're on the subject, what's their shelf life?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Thanks guys!

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

This question has been lurking at the back of my mind for months and I'm asking purely for curiosity's sake.

If one hits a deer or something with a car, and then takes it for consumption, how do you know if it's safe to eat? Like, free of internal parasites or disease? Would the area of impact have to be discarded (because of shattered bones, etc.), or would you consider it "pre-tenderized"? It just seems weird to me simply because it's such a foreign notion.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I'm making fried rice tomorrow and I've already cooked the rice. Would you guys recommend freezing or just refrigerating the rice overnight to dry it out? Also, just to get some ideas for next time, what do you regularly put in it?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Anyone got a good tried and true French bread recipe?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

SubG posted:

500 grams flour, 375 grams water, 10 grams salt, pinch of yeast. Mix and knead, primary ferment is 60 minutes, fold every 20. Cold ferment until that time the following day. Divide, rest 60 minutes or so. Shape. Proof for 45 minutes to an hour. Score. Bake at 480F/250C until done.
Thanks for this, especially for putting the volume in grams. Do you recommend the shallow pan of water/spraying while proofing too, or should I just nix it? I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong, or if it really just does nothing for me.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Thanks for the bread answers, ya'll. :) I made a weird thing with it for dinner and it'll be in the appropriate thread.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

If you're not one of those "EEWWW, raw eggs always equal salmonella!" types, take some fresh cooked rice, crack an egg over it with some soy sauce and mix that fucker up. Sriracha, green onions, and katsuobushi/bonito flakes are always nice thrown in too.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

RE: Tomatoes, I once read somewhere that it's recommended that they get a set number of hours of direct sunlight. Would it be okay to plant them somewhere that gets full sunlight, or just partial shade, like close to our garage?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

A recipe calls for rock salt to brine some potatoes, but all I have is kosher and iodized sea salt. Would the kosher be a suitable substitute? I really want to try this stuff today. :(

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Thanks, I'll take both of your replies into account. :D

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Where do you guys get good vanilla bean pods? How long can they keep, and would they "survive" an eighteen hour flight across the lower 48 and halfway across the Pacific?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

badgercopter posted:

Whenever my dad comes to visit, he has this habit of buying things I have no idea how to use, and he never gets around to cooking them himself, lumping me with odd things like quince paste and pate that I end up forgetting I have. So now I have a piece of pork belly sitting in my freezer that I have no real idea what to do with and would rather not let go to waste. I'd like to be able to make stuff I can freeze and reheat with it, seeing as it's a reasonably large piece of meat and I'm only cooking for myself.
Make pork kakuni.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

My sister is vastly overestimating my abilities and asked me to make her wedding "cake". It's haupia, essentially a coconut gelatin thickened with a cornstarch slurry. I've decided to put toasted coconut flakes on the side, but it's extremely hard to keep it stuck there. I used a 1:1 mixture of sugar and water, but it was pretty crappy. What are some things I can use to make the job easier? My sister is gluten intolerant.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I just opened a can of coconut milk. I noticed right away a dent in the side before I shook and opened it. 'It probably fell' was my first thought. When I pierced the lid, it popped out. The contents (probably because I agitated them) seem to be fine, there was no off smell, and against my better judgement, I tasted a tiny bit. Save for that small indent, it seems to be perfectly okay. Should I toss it anyway?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have a good cheesecake recipe? I've never made one before and have been having a hankering for some delicious delicious cheesecake.
This is a very basic recipe for a 9-inch springform pan.
8 oz. cookie crumbs (Nilla wafers, oreos, graham crackers, whathaveyou)
3 T. sugar
3 1/2 oz. unsalted butter, melted

-Blitz all that in a processor and press into the pan, then bake at 375 for ten minutes.

4 8-oz. packages cream cheese, room temp
2 T. flour
pinch salt
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 T. vanilla
4 eggs

-Cream the cream cheese, flour and salt in a mixer with a paddle for about 5 minutes, scraping down frequently. Add sugar and vanilla until incorporated, then add the eggs one at a time. Pour into the cooled crust and level. Bake at 300, 55 to 65 minutes. Cool completely, then stick in the fridge.

Personally, western style cheesecakes are too sweet and heavy for me, so I prefer the lighter Japanese version. You can look it up anywhere, but this video seems to show the most similar result to the ones we made in the bakery I used to work at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ES2ajYQXF8

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I was reading through one of my magazines recently and stumbled onto an article detailing a wonderful confection called the exotic Nanaimo Bar. Any Canadians (or any goons, really) in here willing to share their recipe?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

franco posted:

A friend of mine lives nearby and says this competition winner is pretty drat fine.

ChetReckless posted:

I asked my Mom to send me her recipe that she has been using for years and it was more or less like the one linked (a little less chocolate, milk instead of cream in the filling, etc), so consider this an endorsement, I guess. What I'm really posting to say is go ahead and make them if you haven't already -- Nanaimo bars are the poo poo.
Whoa, thanks! Any idea how long they keep for/where to keep them? The custard in the middle makes me think I should keep leftover pieces in the fridge.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Got about two-thirds of a quart of buttermilk left after making fried chicken. What else can I do with it?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Pookah posted:

Make soda bread.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/rachel-allen/ballymaloe-white-soda-bread.html

My dad makes brown soda bread all the time, it's v. tasty.
Thanks for the suggestions; think I'll try this one tonight!

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I've been frying a lot recently (I should invest in one of those splatter screens too). Up till now, I've been throwing the oil away, but now that I'm doing it more, how should I reserve the leftover oil? Do coffee filters work in straining out the finer particles? Should I throw the container in the fridge (I'm using peanut oil), or can I leave it on the counter?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

To everyone who contributed, thanks for all the helpful tips! I'm still kicking myself over the fact that I threw out about 26 oz. of perfectly good peanut oil several days ago because I thought I had burnt it. In reality, there was a thick layer of particles that only made it look black. :doh:

I found this to be particularly informative. All this time I was laboring under the impression that frying at higher temps would cause the food to absorb less oil. I stand corrected. Thanks, O BraveUlysses!

e:

dino. posted:

I reuse fry oil for cooking with.
All the times I've tried this (admittedly, a grand total of three times), I've ended up with some wonky tasting chicken.

kinmik fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 28, 2013

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

So Grav, do you take it out of the cooker (assuming you have one) and leave it on the countertop? Because I just leave mine in there for days on end and scoop out when I want some. The rice cooker carries a steady low temperature even after cooking. Is that the bad thing? :ohdear: And I'm not dead either.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

There's a translucent, pale green pepper inside my red bell pepper. Can I eat it?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

You goons are truly something awful. I'll help you, John Dyne. :buddy:
http://craftshopmall.com/shopping/article.php?n=20

The baby was delicious. I ate it raw.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

What's your favorite thing to put on pizza? Just want some ideas before we go shopping.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Those all sound really nice. The seafood and coconut idea especially; it makes sense. Thanks!

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

No, I think Sojin was referring to Japanese hotcakes, like the ones pictured here.

I couldn't find any recipes that don't require a mix from a box, so I put in a request to Cooking With Dog and runnyrunny999. I doubt they might actually do it, or get around to fulfilling a dumb request like mine anytime soon, but I was curious too. v:shobon:v

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Trying to make my family some gluten-free biscotti for Christmas, but all the recipes* call for almond flour/meal. Can I directly substitute gluten-free AP flour for the almond meal?

*specifically these
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/10/cinnamon-roll-biscotti-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html
http://www.elanaspantry.com/cranberry-chocolate-biscotti/

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Can anyone post that mac and cheese recipe that's been going around GWS recently? It had some powder that went in it that everyone said made it all nice and smooth and creamy. I made Ramsay's version of it tonight and was disappointed in how grainy it was.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Sodium citrate

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sodium-citrate-creates-silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

SubG suggested putting the sodium citrate in a little bit at a time until you get something on the verge between grainy and smooth instead of uniformly smooth, which sounds interesting.

SubG posted:

I don't do that with the sodium citrate, I do that with the cheese. Like instead of measuring everything out perfectly in ritualistically pure modernist fashion, I use like a quarter cup of water with about a half a tsp of sodium citrate, then just add cheese by feel.

If you're doing mac and cheese I don't know if I'd go past smooth unless you're planning on throwing something else in there too. If I'm planning on adding some salsa or something I'll aim for a thicker cheese sauce because it'll end up getting thinned out by the other stuff, so if you get the cheese by itself just right it'll end up too runny if you add anything else.
Awesome, thanks! I wouldn't otherwise buy something so specialized, but I make mac and cheese at least once a month. Now it's justified. :)

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I plan on making minestrone this week; if I put some orzo in, will they continue to expand, get soft, and suck all the liquid from the soup, or will they stay al dente? Should I just cook them separately and put them in when I want a bowl?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Chili and capers chat all up in here.

Chili: I love peanut butter in my chili. I've started doing it fairly recently because it's reminiscent of the chili served at a chain back home and hot drat is it awesome.

Capers: I forgot I had a small bottle stashed away in the back of my fridge. It's been there for like three years. Can I eat it without fear of my innards escaping through my anus?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I can't even be mad at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

It's good in chicken mole or enchilada sauce, but you don't use enough to actually taste it, do you?
Nah. More or less, it lends a creamy note. I mean, you can definitely tell that it's different from your usual chili, but it's supposed to be adapted from a Hawaii restaurant chain that's super popular.

Sharzak, that's the :3:est Valentine's Day story I've heard today.