Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Point noted. I guess what I was just trying to get at was more a general understanding of when you might use a saute pan vs., say, a frying pan. In looking up recipies there seems to be a lot of overlap in terminology; I'd like to understand what the reasoning is behind using a particular method.

There's no difference, really. Saute pans and frying pans are both used for the exact same thing. The name difference is just to tell you whether you're getting sides that go straight up (saute pan) or sides that slope outwards (frying pan). Straight up edges mean that you'll get more flat cooking surface on a saute pan than on a frying pan with the same diameter, but since you can always just buy a bigger frying pan that's not really a big deal. Paradoxically it can be easier to legitimately fry stuff in a saute pan because the sides are often higher and you can therefore have deeper frying oil.

The short answer, though, is that a frying pan by any other name will still cook as sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Amethyste posted:

I love Indian food, and would like to be brave and attempt to start cooking it on my own.

Anyone have a good cookbook recommendation for the basics? I prefer to learn the basics first then branch off into the fancier versions if at all possible.

If it helps any, my husband loves chicken vindaloo, and I am a lamb korma/rogan josh fan. I have been looking online, but I don't really know if the ones I am looking at are good for beginners or not.

Manjula's Kitchen is a great starting point for Indian food, although she doesn't have any meat recipes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Yehudis Basya posted:

Ooh, can I throw in a plug for Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni? I picked it up cheaply at a used book store, and am really glad I did so. As someone else who is new to cooking Indian food but really wants to be good at it, I'm finding it quite accessible! Manjula's Indian Kitchen is a good site, but I like having the text and binding and food stained pages more than internet links. :)

Incidentally, I also recently picked up your book dino. after reading the vegan thread. While I am not a vegan nor vegetarian (you should have seen my husband' surprised expression when I excitedly thrust the book into his face!), I really strongly love your philosophy of "no fakey poo poo" and just making food that tastes good. It's a fantastic resource, thanks for it.

Okay, question time! I tasted the most aamazing (vegeterian) dish yesterday: toasted baguette spread with goat cheese, basil, and roasted peppers. If heaven exists, it better be waiting for me there. So I want to replicate this. My plan:
- the King Arthur recipe for baguette
- the same goat cheese the restaurant used (locally prepared, yeah!)
- fresh basil chopped to pieces
- peppers
But how do I prepare the basil and peppers? Will raw basil be overpowering or do I put it over heat? And, um, are roasted peppers typically bell peppers just cut into strips and then covered in olive oil and some magic array of spices? Help me goons, I must be able to make this dish!
When you roast red peppers, you want to roast them until the skin turns all black and is blistery. It helps if you roast them on tin foil, then when you take them out of the oven, wrap the tin foil over them and let them steam for a minute or two. This will loosen the skin and it'll come right off.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's pretty simple, just heat it up until it's brown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw8hT47NNyg

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BRJohnson posted:

Do I then mix the liquid brown butter in with the sugar? I just feel like it's supposed to be solid to be 'creamed', will it harden up if I put it in the fridge?

Yes, butter turns solid again if you chill it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can make scones and freeze them. This recipe would probably work if you substitute buttermilk for heavy cream.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Egg yolk?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah half a mile's nothing, my closest walkable grocery store is a mile and that's not really much of a trip. If I had a bike it would probably be a piece of cake. Stock up on rice and beans and you'll only have to run to the store for vegetables.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

GregNorc posted:

What a good beginner's cookbook for your typical bachelor?

I started cooking to eat healthier, but the problem is, I know jack about cooking, so I've mostly lived off of salads and chicken breasts. Preferably with a focus on simple recipes. I can splurge a bit on ingredients, but I don't have a lot of equipment.

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

totalnewbie posted:

What can I do with a ton of cilantro?
Annoy the everloving poo poo out of people who hate cilantro! Or make a bunch of pesto and freeze it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

LashLightning posted:

Would any of you guys have any advice on good cookbooks? I'm soon to leave my parents' basement, as it were, and will have to fend for myself in making meals. Something to offer advice and generate ideas so that I'm not just eating cereal, ham sandwiches and pasta for each meal?
Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Soups, stews, dals, chilis, etc. are basically designed for bulk cooking. Just multiple the recipe by however much space your pot has.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've had chili peppers last a week, although it really depends on the peppers themselves. If you want to make chili just chop and freeze them.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Maneki Neko posted:

I end up eating a fair amount of black beans, and was going to move from canned to bulk/dry beans, but I seem to have issues consistently end up with good beans from dry beans.

I'm a decent cook, but must be missing something here. I soak them overnight in the fridge, then simmer for about 1.5-2 hours. They've turned out fine a couple times, but other times some of them end up underdone and I haven't noticed until I ended up using them in things.

Any suggestions? Am I just getting wildly different aged beans out of the same bag?

Does anyone cook dry beans in a crockpot? I've seen that mentioned a few times, but haven't tried it yet.

Just cook them until they're done. Taste a bean before you take them off the heat.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Grits or cream of wheat?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Is there any website or book or person or anything that explains varieties of rice? Specifically whenever I shop at my local Indian place there are like, 20 kinds of rice all with various names that don't mean anything to me (this list on Wikipedia is pretty representative, I think: I'm not sure about the specific names, because it's all Greek to me, but if I see hasan serai rice, joha rice, and patna rice for sale, I dunno what's up). 90% of the people who work at the store aren't Indian people so they can't really help me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Thanks dino! I think that covers most or all of the rice I saw. On this trip I bought a 10 lb bag of brown basmati rice from the cheapest brand they had, and it tastes pretty good, so I guess I'll just try one of each 10 lb bag of brown rice to see if I find a favorite.

And if I were eating ham hocks I would probably be making red beans and rice.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Spice jars are nice. If you have a Cost Plus World Market around, they sell really nice jars for a buck.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Curry in English basically just means "Indian food" of which butter chicken is most certainly an example.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

When I go to the Asian grocer for stuff, I always browse the veggies but the labels are all in Vietnamese, so unless I can recognize them clearly, I'm lost. Seeing as I can't read Vietnamese, I'm trying to find a way to identify the veggies, especially if I'm in the store.

Ideas? I sometimes ask the employees, but they're woefully understaffed and not all of them know the English names.

Buy one of each, take a picture, and post them? That way you get to try delicious new vegetables.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You're boiling away, like, less than a teaspoon of water. Your rice will be fine.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think either way you will end up with a starter.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's called cooking.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cowcatcher posted:

I found chicken biryani very challenging to get right, even though it looks simple (my rice always comes out soggy). Try it in a restaurant first if you haven't had it before, so you know what to aim for.

Make sure you leave all the spices in big chunks (I wouldn't even grind the things they say to grind in the recipe), it's delicious when you come across a softened cardamom or caraway seed in your rice

And if you don't want something that's very challenging to get right, dino's book is a pretty good resource for "easy to learn Indian food that just happens to be vegan" (from what I can tell: I don't own it). Really, though, if you want spicy Indian food, just add as many spicy peppers as you want to whatever Indian food you're making.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

squigadoo posted:

I feel dumb, but I am having problems not burning things on one of my pans.

I have a stainless steel all-clad pan I picked up at Marshalls for a song. I love it. It holds heat really well and it's a breeze to clean, but things stick to it. I heat it up, coat it with oil, wait a bit, and put my (patted dry) pork chops on. The chops always stick.

.... what am I doing wrong?

You might not be cooking them long enough. Often stuff releases from the pan when it has cooked enough.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dis astranagant posted:

Grandma gave me a coffee can of mystery dry beans (pretty sure there's some pintos in there, but there's also some much darker and and some kinda reddish ones). Just looking for something simple to do with them so they'll quit taking up counter space. I don't know the first thing about fixin dry beans, usually just used canned ones.

Soak in water overnight, then the next day boil until they're just like your usual canned beans.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Stalizard posted:

I've been recently playing around with making bread and I just made my best bread yet, with a really wet dough that I tried my best to knead for the duration of a Simpsons episode. I tried kneading it on a floured surface with floured hands, but it stuck to my fingers and my pastry rolling sheet thing and, while it did become slightly more manageable after 20 odd minutes of working, it never unstuck itself from anything. I used 355 grams of King Arthur bread flour and 284 grams of water, a packet of yeast and some pinches of salt.

I baked the bread in my dutch oven and it came out perfectly, super crispy crust with a really really soft inside. I want to make this bread again and again and again. I just want to be able to knead it into some semblance of manageability. I admit that I was somewhat stingy with the flouring of my hands and my kneading surface, but that was for two reasons. First, I always wind up working a huge pile of flour into my dough and wind up with a nigh inedible breadrock, and second my hands were so messy just after touching this dough I couldn't stick my hand back into the flour container.

What can I do to make this dough actually workable, but still wind up with an extremely soft, not too dense crumb? For what it's worth, my crumb looks about like the 70% hydration example on this site: http://www.artisanbakers.com/crumb.html
Lots of tips in this thread if you haven't seen it yet.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Aggro posted:

Is it possible to make oatmeal in a slow-cooker with rolled oats? I just discovered why all of the recipes I've found say to use steel cut oats. Hint: It's because rolled oats cook too fast and turn apple cinnamon oatmeal into apple cinnamon gravy.

I only have an hour in the morning to shower, eat, and get my poo poo together, so overnight recipes would be goddamn fantastic.

If you boil steel cut oats for 1 minute the night before, you can heat them up in the microwave or on the stove in the morning.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Planning to make some flour Tortilla's tomorrow. I'd like to make them whole wheat if possible. Is it okay to sub half the white flour for whole wheat or would that mess them up?

I do this all the time. Works fine.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mustermark posted:

I wanna make (flour) torilla chips from scratch. I've got normal baking stuff and good whole wheat flour... where do I go from here?
You need some sort of fat, like lard/butter/oil. Here's Rick Bayless' recipe:

2 3/4 cups (3/4 lbs) flour
5 tbsp fat
3/4 tsp salt
~3/4 cup warm water

Mix the flour and the fat, then the salt and the water, and add the salted water to the flourfat until everything's damp (you might not need all the water). Knead until smooth then let it rest for half an hour. Split it up into 12 portions, roll them out, then stick them on a hot griddle. Flip them over when the bubbles that form have started to brown (ideally 30-45 seconds) then cook them another 30-45 seconds.

Then you can cut them up, salt them, stick them in the oven, and bake them into chips. Possibly you can just make them into chips when first cooking them by keeping the griddle at a lower heat and cooking for longer but I have no idea.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

zacpol posted:

I just cooked a pound of dry black beans to go with whatever I cook for the next couple of days. I just put it in a tupperware container in the fridge, but how do I prepare it for when I want to reheat it?
Like, in the microwave? No preparation needed. In something you're cooking? No preparation needed.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I like turtles posted:

I live in Tucson Arizona. I'm thinking I should take a vacation and go to San Diego and eat food and do stuff, since it isn't that far away.

Stuff on my list to do:
Midway Naval Museum
Scripps Institute aquarium
San Diego Zoo
???

Food to eat:
poo poo tons of relatively affordable and definitely fresh seafood

What other stuff should I do? I am a military history nerd, and aquariums/zoos are pretty cool. Not a huge fan of theme parks, but might could do Sea World.

Where should I go for the seafood? Multiple places would be more than fine.

What else should I eat? I don't feel a huge need for Mexican food, since I live in Tucson and can get excellent Mexican food easily.
I don't know what this has to do with food but if you like military history check out the Marine aerospace museum. I know you said you don't feel a big need for Mexican food but San Diego Mexican food includes our city's only real "this is our food" food, which is the fish taco. You could spend your entire time in San Diego eating various varieties of fish taco. I doubt Tucson has much in the way of fish tacos worth talking about.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

GrAviTy84 posted:

That's not necessarily true. You also have the California Burrito, friend of drunk and hungover college students across SoCal, originated near San Diego.
Sigh, yes, we have the California Burrito. I like to think of it as the son that I try to disown because he is an abomination that is constantly crammed full of french fries.

edit: I suppose I can recommend El Zarape and, with slightly less zeal, Los Panchos in terms of dive locations that you might enjoy. I have also heard good things about Punjabi Tandoor which, despite its location 10 minutes from my house, I have never tried.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 4, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grand Fromage posted:

A burrito full of french fries sounds like the perfect food for a drunk, what's the problem?
I guess I just feel like out of the dozens of delicious things that can end up in a burrito, french fries are just a cop out. They're mostly flavorless potato, and although I can definitely appreciate the need for a burrito with as many calories as humanly possible, in terms of taste I'd rather have anything else in there. Beans or rice, for instance, pack in the filler in much more flavorful ways.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

An observer posted:

Just eat that poo poo up straight from the freezer, it's great on hot summer days.
I just spent a good few seconds trying to figure out why you just told someone to eat turkey sausage straight out of the freezer, but that's nothing compared to trying to figure out why Eeyo wanted Rah! to do THIS to the turkey sausage:

Eeyo posted:

You could put them in yogurt (like lowfat yogurt maybe since you're on a diet?) and just eat that, should be tasty enough. You could put them in cereal or oatmeal or something. Maybe a few on a salad? Also that's a whole lot of frozen fruit you've got.
Of course when I got to the "that's a whole lot of frozen fruit" line I realized what was up.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've been craving chocolate chip cookies, what's a good way to make them?

1 ¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
½ teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
½ cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
¾ cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 ¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.

4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)

5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's like the story of Jack & the Beanstalk, but instead of buying 'magic beans' they bought 'magic bean cookers.' 30% faster cooking with no soaking overnight! Yeah right.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Food processors are just a way of making pie crust preparation easier. You can cut in the butter by hand. Try to keep things cold. This list of helpful tips should make things pretty easy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
When I have extra lemons I squeeze the juice into my ice cube tray so that I have fresh lemon juice whenever I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hed posted:

I tried to make my own flour tortillas the other night with the following recipe:

9 oz. AP flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup lard
1/2 cup cool water

I combined everything to coarse crumbiness by pulsing in the food processor, then added the water while spinning. Took it out and kneaded, rested on counter (in plastic wrap) for 1 hour, then rolled out and cooked on an ungreased 375 degree electric griddle for 4 minutes / side.

The dough cooked up to a naan-like consistency instead of a tortilla, they weren't very pliable at all. What did I do wrong?
Did they puff up while you were cooking them? 4 minutes a side sounds like a fairly long time to cook them - you want to flip it after it changes color everywhere and bubbles start to form, then flip it again when the bubbles have gotten large, then take it off almost immediately.

And the easiest way to make a sweet potato is to microwave it.