Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eeyo posted:

You've got beans & tomato (chili)

Oooooooooooh boy. Careful where you say poo poo like that, them's fightin words in a fair few places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oooh the salsa chicken argument and the beans argument, together at last.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
I'm having a weird issue and thought this might be the best place to ask.

So, I made a dry rub for a rack of ribs last night, with the intention on letting them sit overnight in the rub. I wrapped the ribs in foil and placed them on a cookie sheet. However, this morning, I opened to fridge to see that there were small holes actually eaten into the foil. :stare: I, um...have never heard of foil being corroded/eaten by anything before, so could someone maybe tell me what the heck is going on?

Included in my rub: kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chile powder, MSG, Trader Joe's South African Smoke seasoning, cayenne.

I can't find ANYTHING on Google and have no idea how to even go about searching said topic, really. The same thing happened with a chicken I wrapped up the other night.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Probably just stuck a bit. My bread dough did this all the time when I covered it with foil

e: Aluminum reacts with basically anything if the oxide layer is broken. Foil's thin enough that what ever it reacts with will wind up going clear through.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 5, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

close to toast posted:

Do you mean bay leaf liqueur or a vodka infusion (or some other neutral spirit)? Sounds interesting.

I usually just do an infusion in vodka or grain alcohol.

Bay is also nice if you simmer in equal parts sugar and water for an hour or so, then reduce to syrup. Fantastic for custard then or as a flavorant for cocktails.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

noblesse posted:

...However, this morning, I opened to fridge to see that there were small holes actually eaten into the foil. :stare: I, um...have never heard of foil being corroded/eaten by anything before, so could someone maybe tell me what the heck is going on?

Included in my rub: ...chile powder... cayenne.

Probably completely unrelated, but this story reminded me about a call I once got about a guy who got something in his eye, and his doc kept pushing me to find out if it was an acid or a base (which was completely irrelevant at that point)
As his information about the substance was lacking, I finally told him to use a litmus paper if he really wanted to know.
He called back half an hour later, very angry, to tell me the litmus paper dissolved, so I replied that that must mean the stuff wasn't intended to be stuck in an eye.
Later it turned out to be some sort of industrial product containing capsicum.

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

Has anyone here used tomato leaf in cooking? I really like the bright green smell it gives in certain perfumes so I started looking around and came across this NYT article. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/dining/29curi.html?pagewanted=all

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

If anyone cares about my prime beef results, the steaks I ordered from Lobel's came on Tuesday (not frozen, but kept cold in styrofoam with cold packs). I grilled one of the ribeyes tonight, with just a simple prep of kosher salt and freshly ground Tellicherry pepper.

It was awesome, as good as Shula's or so close as to make no difference. Definitely worth the occasional indulgence.

Никогда не доверяйте толстому полицейскому или тощему повару

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

LongSack posted:

If anyone cares about my prime beef results, the steaks I ordered from Lobel's came on Tuesday (not frozen, but kept cold in styrofoam with cold packs). I grilled one of the ribeyes tonight, with just a simple prep of kosher salt and freshly ground Tellicherry pepper.

It was awesome, as good as Shula's or so close as to make no difference. Definitely worth the occasional indulgence.

If you have room in your fridge, just dry age your choice/select cuts you get from the supermarket. I find them to be just as delicious as the prime meats I've had at high end steakhouses.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Then instead of salsa you could add some good, fresh tomatoes and peppers and onions, although I don't know if you can get those in japan. If not, I guess there's really no way to improve on salsa.

Since you have a pressure cooker, definitely cook the beans yourself next time. I've always heard its easier in a pressure cooker, and it's definitely cheaper and tastier when you make them yourself. I don't know if they sell dry kidney beans in japan, but you could probably use azuki beans instead, they're from Japan.
[/quote]

Japanese supermarkets (and mom 'n pop produce shops) will all have tomatoes, peppers, and onions. I'm not sure about dried kidney beans, but I definitely saw lots of canned kidney beans in Tokyo, if that helps anyone...

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Was it Turkeybone who told me to pan-fry my fish at a lower heat to get crispier skin? I tried that today and it worked! Hooray! Thanks Turkeybone!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I have some turkey sausages that are pre-cooked and unopened. The sell-by/freeze-by date was April 11, and I put them in the freezer a day or two after that...and they've been in the freezer ever since, so almost 3 months. Google said that unopened suasages last for 1-2 months in the freezer, but that info was for uncooked sausages. Other sources said meat will last indefinitely pretty much, as long as it's properly frozen and sealed, and you get it in the freezer by the sell-by date (though i was little late with that).

I'm assuming the sausages are still fine seeing as they've been in the freezer, and were never opened, despite me being late in putting them in the freezer....but I am an overly cautious and whiny baby when it comes to expiration/sell-by dates, so someone tell me if I should eat them or not.

And while I'm at it, what about unopened sausages that have been in the freezer for six months, or a year? Still good? Because i've had those too in the past (but i threw them away).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a bag of frozen blueberries and frozen strawberries, 2kg each, and I want to eat them.

However, I'm on a diet and don't really eat processed food, so baked goods are a very rare treat. What are my options other than eating 4kg of smoothies?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you have a dehydrator?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Just eat that poo poo up straight from the freezer, it's great on hot summer days.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

You could put them in yogurt (like lowfat yogurt maybe since you're on a diet?) and just eat that, should be tasty enough. You could put them in cereal or oatmeal or something. Maybe a few on a salad? Also that's a whole lot of frozen fruit you've got.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
You could take advantage of the berries' tartness in savoury applications. One of the best barbeque sauces I've ever had was made with blueberries.

You could also just defrost them and them? They're berries, they're delicious.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

An observer posted:

Just eat that poo poo up straight from the freezer, it's great on hot summer days.
I just spent a good few seconds trying to figure out why you just told someone to eat turkey sausage straight out of the freezer, but that's nothing compared to trying to figure out why Eeyo wanted Rah! to do THIS to the turkey sausage:

Eeyo posted:

You could put them in yogurt (like lowfat yogurt maybe since you're on a diet?) and just eat that, should be tasty enough. You could put them in cereal or oatmeal or something. Maybe a few on a salad? Also that's a whole lot of frozen fruit you've got.
Of course when I got to the "that's a whole lot of frozen fruit" line I realized what was up.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I just spent a good few seconds trying to figure out why you just told someone to eat turkey sausage straight out of the freezer, but that's nothing compared to trying to figure out why Eeyo wanted Rah! to do THIS to the turkey sausage:

Of course when I got to the "that's a whole lot of frozen fruit" line I realized what was up.

That's what I thought too at first...then I realized that no one cares about my sausage dilemma. :(

gently caress it, I'm gonna try eating them anyways.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, I'd go for eating them sausages. I'd do a smell test before eating, though. If it smells good there shouldn't be a problem.* I'd use it as soon as it's defrosted though, don't keep it around after defrosting, I think freezing only retards growth of bacteria, it doesn't kill them so it's still as "old" as it was when you froze it. I'd make sure to cook it through as well, just to be safe.

*By reading this footnote you agree that I am not responsible for any bodily harm done by taking my advice

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there a good guide for figuring out complementary flavors? I have an instinct with spices I use, but there are lots I don't know how to use and would like to, but I want some idea what I'm doing when I experiment instead of just using things randomly.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Rah! posted:

That's what I thought too at first...then I realized that no one cares about my sausage dilemma. :(

gently caress it, I'm gonna try eating them anyways.

They are probably fine. If they are freezer burned after all this time, they will still be edible if you're broke or something, they'll just taste way worse. Cook them as soon as they're thawed though.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there a good guide for figuring out complementary flavors? I have an instinct with spices I use, but there are lots I don't know how to use and would like to, but I want some idea what I'm doing when I experiment instead of just using things randomly.

Yep. The Flavor Bible!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Eeyo posted:

Yeah, I'd go for eating them sausages. I'd do a smell test before eating, though. If it smells good there shouldn't be a problem.* I'd use it as soon as it's defrosted though, don't keep it around after defrosting, I think freezing only retards growth of bacteria, it doesn't kill them so it's still as "old" as it was when you froze it. I'd make sure to cook it through as well, just to be safe.

*By reading this footnote you agree that I am not responsible for any bodily harm done by taking my advice

Drink and Fight posted:

They are probably fine. If they are freezer burned after all this time, they will still be edible if you're broke or something, they'll just taste way worse. Cook them as soon as they're thawed though.

I went ahead and ate them. Cooked them for longer than normal, they smelled pretty normal, and they tasted ok...not great, but edible, and they didn't taste like they'd gone bad or anything.

If I die a horrible food poisoning death, I promise I won't hold it against you in my last moments, Eeyo, because I ate them before I even saw your post. You're off the hook, I guess my ghost would just have to haunt itself.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, The Flavor Bible is a really useful reference once you get a handle on most of the kitchen basics and want to start venturing past preparing recipes and into building your own poo poo. It's the cooking-related book I find myself going to most frequently.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cool, and it's not entirely ridiculously priced in Korea either. A translation would be handy, there needs to be some complementary flavor education over here. Strawberry jam and mayo on spam and pickle sandwiches. :barf:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want to make Mexican style horchata. Anyone have a grandma or something they could ask how?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I have a turkey breast that needs eaten by tomorrow night. What's a good way to cook it, and what veg / sauce would complement it well?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Semprini posted:

I have a turkey breast that needs eaten by tomorrow night. What's a good way to cook it, and what veg / sauce would complement it well?

Brine it to help give you a buffer against dryness. I'd brine in something like this: http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/how-to-brine-chicken-quick-brine-recipe/ Then grill it or pan roast it until a probe thermometer in the thickest part reads just over 160F. Cover and let rest for 10 min, it should climb to 165F. Slice against the grain and serve with anything thanksgivingy. If you pan roasted, you can make a quick pan gravy, otherwise it should be plenty tasty on its own. You can always top with an herb compound butter if you must. Sage and thyme would be good.

Or you can brine it in a strong salt water solution with crushed garlic and limes. Pat dry and pan roast. Top with a sauce similar to this: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Turkey-in-Mole-Poblano
Eat with warm tortillas

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 6, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

jkk posted:

Was it Turkeybone who told me to pan-fry my fish at a lower heat to get crispier skin? I tried that today and it worked! Hooray! Thanks Turkeybone!

Glad to hear it -- crispy fish skin is one of those fleeting delicacies.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Does anyone have a reliable recipe for pita bread? I keep finding recipes on the Internet that call for a loving packet of yeast, and since that's just an incredible amount of yeast (seriously, you do not need much yeast for baking!), I'm hoping somebody could give me a recipe that uses a normal amount of yeast...

Also, I hate deep-frying in my kitchen (I hate disposing of the oil, and since I deep-fry rarely, it's not worth saving it), but I want falafel. Is baked falafel just a sad imitation of the good stuff, or is it a good enough approximation for the home?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I've been trying to cook chicken thighs since they were on sale, and used them in chicken katsu. Normally, I use breast since it's just easier to cut up but I figured this would be just fine after I removed fat and bone. However, the texture was objectionable. A bit gooey feeling, and gristly. I don't mind the gristle, although it would be nice to trim that out so my boyfriend doesn't complain.

But, how do I get rid of the gooey feeling? Is it the fat? Should I just not use thighs for this?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Does anyone have a reliable recipe for pita bread? I keep finding recipes on the Internet that call for a loving packet of yeast, and since that's just an incredible amount of yeast (seriously, you do not need much yeast for baking!), I'm hoping somebody could give me a recipe that uses a normal amount of yeast...

Also, I hate deep-frying in my kitchen (I hate disposing of the oil, and since I deep-fry rarely, it's not worth saving it), but I want falafel. Is baked falafel just a sad imitation of the good stuff, or is it a good enough approximation for the home?

Just shallow fry.. get a smaller pot and just put in enough oil so that the falafel is halfway submerged, then flip.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Out of curiosity, what can I use a small personal deep fryer for aside from standard fries, chips and mozzarella sticks? (As a note I am Vegetarian.)

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Out of curiosity, what can I use a small personal deep fryer for aside from standard fries, chips and mozzarella sticks? (As a note I am Vegetarian.)

Tempura, falafel, deep fried zucchini, battered eggplant...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nunsexmonkrock posted:

empanadas, gyoza, lumpia, samosas, pakora, fritto misto, flautas, gorditas, tofu cubes for things like salt and pepper tofu, donuts, fried stuffed squash blossoms, pretty much any fritter you can think of...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

nunsexmonkrock posted:

tempura fry anything [everything] (avocados are awesome)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

GrAviTy84 posted:

tl;dr the flavor of *blank* is always better fresh.

Counterpoint: sun-dried tomatoes.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Counterpoint: sun-dried tomatoes.

Tastes more intense, sure, but don't taste like fresh tomatoes at all. The tomato taste has been adulterated and has become a different taste.

same with raisins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Not mentioned so far: mushrooms.

Or floaters. I've never made vegetarian floaters (I usually use manteca/bacon grease), but it should work the same. Get your oil up to temperature, then crack an egg into the oil. The egg will sink, then when it puffs a little it will float back up to the surface. Fish it out, drain if you're feeling squeamish, then serve. I usually put them on a tortilla with some bacon, but it'll come out kinda in the form factor of a poached egg, so you could probably do anything with a floater you'd otherwise do with a poached egg if you really wanted to.

But yeah, pretty much anything you'd fry any other way.

GrAviTy84 posted:

empanadas, gyoza, lumpia, samosas, pakora, fritto misto, flautas, gorditas, tofu cubes for things like salt and pepper tofu, donuts, fried stuffed squash blossoms, pretty much any fritter you can think of...
Is it still a gyoza if it's not fried then steamed? Actually asking here. There's a distinct name for a deep-fried dumpling versus a steamed one versus a fried and steamed one in Chinese, yes? Is there no equivalent distinction with gyoza?