Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I love roasted asparagus. Ususally I just season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, parmesean, and sprinkle some balsamic vinegar overtop at the end. What are some of alls ya'lls favourite seasonings for roasted asparagus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I picked up a jar of mango chicken cooking sauce and it had a warning on it to "use immediately onced opened". Well I only used about half the sauce, so I put the jar back in the fridge. Is it actually a problem to use the rest a few days later?

Yes, this is probably a stupid question.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago and ordered a dish off their antipasto menu. It was a relatively simple dish - a bed of roasted red peppers (sliced, not chopped) topped with sliced italian sausauge, served hot in a miniature cast iron skillet.

Is there perhaps a common name for this recipe? Searching these ingredients on google just brings up other dishes that happen to use both.

Presumably there were various herbs tossed in; and I think their might have possibly been caramelized onion as well. Any suggestions if I were to try to replicate this on my own?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I have a recipe that calls for adding chopped walnuts during the stir fry step - which is fine, we want to toast them - but I thought that generally you were supposed to toast the walnuts first, then chop them?

If I toasted them first then chopped them, presumably I would just add them at the end of the stir fry step (instead of at the beginning, as the recipe calls for) to ensure they do not cook any further?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I'm looking for some simple cheese snack/hors d'oeuvres type recipes. Something a bit fancier than cheese and crackers, not but not a full meal. Anything that incorporates roasted peppers or sun dried tomatos would be great.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Hawkgirl posted:

I'd love some ideas too, but the first thing that comes to mind is bruschetta. Also, bacon wrapped X (where X is uh pretty much anything, let's be honest here). Also, what's wrong with a cheese plate? I used to live near this awesome cheese shop and the people there just adored assembling gourmet cheese platters for parties. They were the kind of awesome people where I could walk in with a bottle of wine, show it to them, and get five different cheese samples with comments on how each would pair with the wine. Find a place like that and never make hors d'oeuvres again. :)

Nothing wrong with cheese platters, I was just looking for something a little more meaty with more variety in flavours.

pile of brown posted:

what kind of cheese? and is this for a pre-meal appetizer or just a walk around and munch on things type situation?

Any kind of cheese. I've never met a cheese I didn't like. Pre-meal appetizer, and, actually just for myself :)

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I've got some goat cheese and roasted red peppers in need of being used up. Mostly I've just come across lasagna recipes, but that would require picking up a bunch of stuff I don't have so I'm trying to avoid that. Is there anything relatively straightforward (I'm new to this whole cooking thing) I can toss together?

Actually I just found this:

http://www.artoflivingwell.ca/recipes/chicken/906-chicken-breast-stuffed-with-asparagus-roasted-red-pepper-and-brie

Would the goat cheese work in place of the brie?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I roasted some vegetables tonight (potato, sweet potato, carrots, red onion cut into wedges), setting the oven to 425 and baking for about an hour; this seems to be inline with most of the recipes I've seen online.

Most of the onion came out either chewy or with a paper-like texture. Only a relatively small fraction managed to come out nicely caramalized. Did I cook them too long? At too high a temperature? The roasted veg recipies I came acros all just said to toss everything together so I'm not really sure why this didn't work.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sounds like you didn't coat in a fat. Add a fat next time, and toss and mix them about halfway through. Butter is a standard one, EV olive was popular a few years ago, bacon fat is a nice goony way to go, duck fat makes quite possibly the best oven roasted potato.

Hmm. Weell I mixed it all up with EVOO, but only about a tablespoon. Maybe that wasn't enough?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I received a sauteing pan for Christmas - I think that's what its called - a deep frying pan with a lid. What sort of things could I cook in this (I'm a total cooking n00b)?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Well, saute for starters. :)

Real Answer? A hell of a lot. But you have basically said "I have an oven. What foodstuffs fit in an oven?" The item in question is a versatile tool, is what I'm saying. There are a lot of possibilites.

Point noted. I guess what I was just trying to get at was more a general understanding of when you might use a saute pan vs., say, a frying pan. In looking up recipies there seems to be a lot of overlap in terminology; I'd like to understand what the reasoning is behind using a particular method.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I have two tea-related questions:

(1) What cheeses would pair well with orange pekoe?

(2) Is there any booze I can spike my orange pekoe with?

edit: Hrrm, I somehow missed the tea thread.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Enentol posted:

(2): Galliano

Straight up delicious. Vanilla makes so many teas better.

Thanks, I'll definitely give this a try.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

What else can I make with pulled pork, other than sandwhiches? (ie, to use up leftovers)

Enentol posted:

Please let me know post-tea how you liked it. I'm a big fan of vanilla in teas, and to me, Galliano just seems like the best equipped booze for the job.

Will do. Could be a while though - I have no other use for Galliano and its damned expensive up here in Ontario.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I'm just about to finish up cooking some pulled pork. What can I do with the leftover slow cooker juices and soggy onions? Use it in stew? Chili?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Discard the onion, make a sauce out of the juices. The recipe on the wiki suggests adding ketchup, liquid smoke, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and cornstarch to achieve this and it turns out pretty decent.

Sounds good - whats the wiki you're looking at?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Toast posted:

Seriously? :bang:

GWS does not pop into my head as being a wiki.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Whats the best way to re-heat day old roasted vegetables (potatos, carrots, turnp, etc.) I was thinking of tossing them in a frying pan and heating over low heat.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I'm a big fan of deli meats, but a terrible cook. This means I eat most of my deli meats in the form a sandwhich consisting of the meat, a slice of packaged cheese, and a piece of lettuce all stuck between two pieces of wonderbread. Maybe a kaiser bun if I'm feeling ambitious.

What are some ways I can eat deli meats other than by way of elaborate sandwhiches?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

In a salad.

On a plate with crackers and cheese.

From your hand.
I rarely have deli meats on hand (HA HA HA HA HA), but when I see sliced meat and cheese in the refrigerator I usually just grab a fistful of it and stuff it into my slobberhole.
The Germans call this Handsalat.

While I have no issue with eating it this way, I'm not quite sure it'll work for an actual meal.

Noni posted:

Wraps, dude! But not the crappy kinds of wraps where someone just took a sandwich and replaced the bread with a tortilla. You know those wraps that look like pinwheels and you only seem to see them on catering trays? You can make those and eat them every single day, sometimes two, three, four times a day if you're really ambitious about the task.

The basic pinwheel recipe is turkey, cranberry sauce, cream cheese, and lettuce on a tortilla. However, if you're not flat broke, use a spread of dried cranberries, cream cheese, and feta. Spinach tortillas can be neat as well.

Everyone seems to have their own particular recipe, featuring green onion, spinach, tomato, cilantro, or whatever. But the magic that differentiates pinwheels from mere sandwiches happens somewhere in the mystical connection between cream cheese, cranberry, and deli meat. This is the Holy Trinity of the pinwheel. Various wrap-based religions have their own Holy recipes, but the core belief system is the same.

You can break the cranberry rule, I suppose, if you want to make baby Jesus cry, but that's generally only acceptable on Fridays during Lent, when you are supposed to eat Tuna Wraps.

By the way, if sacrilege is your thing and you want to go straight to pinwheel hell, Paula Deen has a wrap that involves deep fried pickles and a ham that's been baptized in cream cheese and the joyful tears of young diabetic virgins. You use bacon instead of a tortilla, obviously, and serve the wrap well-greased and stylistically embedded between two donuts, like it's the axle in a wheel of shame.

Hmm..wraps are an idea. I've never heard of these pinwheel things before. I guess I can pretty much stuff anything I want into one.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I have some leftovers that I want to use up so I was thinking of making the following leftovers "pizza": a piece of naan bread covered with spinach, red onion slices, sun-dried tomatoes and sprinkled with cheese. Bake until cheese melts.

Would this just be stupid?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

So I picked up this half chicken because it looked tasty as hell and was on special:

http://i.imgur.com/LHr1Z.jpg

However I don't know how to cook it (there were no cooking instructions on it). How would I go about baking it in the oven?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

paraquat posted:

That does look good!
Just to be sure: it's raw meat still, right?
If so, and as its already seasoned: stick it in a preheated oven at 360-380 F for 30(-40) minutes

Yeah, its seasoned and uncooked. That sounds easy - what about covered vs uncovered?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I bought a big jar of pickled hot peppers for a garnish on nachos, and I still have about 3/4 of the jar left. What are some dishes I could make to use these up?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

My local grocery store sells quarter chicken legs for really cheap. The couple of times I've bought them they've been really fatty and oily. Is this normal for this cut of meat, or does my store just have crappy product? If its the former, what (if any) is a good way to prepare/cook this meat to reduce this?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Thanks for the leg meat suggestions. I will try slow roasting tonight.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Two questions:

Is there a way to soften baby carrots, just slightly? I like to buy those bags of peeled baby/finger carrots to eat as a snack but I find their hardness leaves my jaw sore after eating a few.

Does anyone know what that tangy, orangey dressing is that you always get in Thai take-out salads? I think its quite tasty.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Every time I try to make some sort of wilted spinach recipe, the spinach inevitably comes out slimy and bitter tasting. Am I allowing the spinach to break down too much? Or not enough? Maybe I'm just using crappy spinach (I usually buy the bagged stuff)?

...or maybe that's how it's supposed to be and I just don't like spinach? :confused:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

How are you wilting it? You're probably just way overcooking it.

I usually just drop a bunch of it into frying pan or large sauce pan, turn the heat to, I dunno, low-medium, and kind of push it around with a wooden spoon.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

I usually go for hot and fast with spinach, and it never comes out slimy. Also, splash a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar in it at the very end and it is awesome.

I know its hard to be precise with these things, but what is "hot and fast"? Like, are we talking 10s of seconds or minutes?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I have a recipe here that calls for "frozen bell pepper and onion mix". I've never seen such a thing in the store. I know it sounds self-explanatory, but how might I go about making it from scratch?

To clarify: what sort of onion:pepper ratio am I looking at? Finely diced, or coarsely chopped?

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 9, 2012

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I'm looking at picking up a food processor / blender, primarily to make purees (and especially squash soups). What should I be looking for, or looking to avoid in such a piece of equipment? Note that I'm basically just a beginner cook, and also a poor grad student, so I'm not looking for anything fancy here.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I was gonna make some braised bok choy, and I had this crazy idea to top it with an egg. Would this be weird?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I really like pumpkin / butternut squash soups but I don't have a blender to puree the ingredients. Would it be terrible to use the canned stuff? Would mashing it manually (as per mashed potatoes) be acceptable if I don't mind it a bit chunky?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I've made pulled pork a few times with good success, but I've found many of the recipes to be a tad too sweet. Does anyone have a good low sweetness pulled pork recipe?

Drimble Wedge posted:

Get a stick blender maybe? Also known as immersion blenders. They are fairly inexpensive.

From waaaay back, but thanks, they are indeed less expensive than I thought.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I love making my own roasted almonds, which I coat with a small amount of oil then season with a bit of salt and paprika. The problem I'm having is the seasoning never stays on the drat almonds - I gather it either cooks off, or is just absorbed in. Is there some nifty trick I can use to better "glue" the seasoning to the almonds? Some non-nutritive food varnish maybe?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

KWC posted:

This is the best way to get dry spices stuck to nuts in my opinion. I like it with a tiny bit of sugar and a tsp of water per egg white per 1-2 lbs of nuts. get the egg whit and water a little frothy, dump in (roasted and cooled) nuts, coat evenly, toss in spices, roast again to dry out coating.

I like this idea! I tried a honey method based on a recommendation from a previous post, but found it didn't work well with the flavouring I wanted (I like more of a salty/spicey taste than sugary).

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Can sour cream be used in place of regular cream, for use in a sauce?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

dino. posted:

If it's a Hungarian sauce, sour cream is preferable. What sauce?

Just a simple white sauce (cream + chicken stock + pesto) for some gnocchi. Anyway, I just used milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I made a spur of the moment decision and picked up a tub of some fantastic fresh-made mango salsa. Now sure, I could just eat a whole bag of tortilla chips with it but I'd like some other recipe ideas for using it up. Suggestions?