Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Real question is why are some food threads left open: cold remedies, wok thread, bbq thread. But others closed: japanese cooking, chili, goon wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

In the interest of whirrled peas, I'll kick this off with a question. I made split pea soup tonight (for the first time). It got cold here, I had split peas in the pantry. It was pretty damned bland. I pretty much winged it on a whim, and I substituted bacon for a ham hock because, like I said, I winged it and that's what I had in the fridge. Anyone have a tried and true split pea soup recipe you wouldn't mind sharing so I can make something worth writing home about?

Can you post your recipe?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

I have one of those hams you buy at the grocery store and you cook. I've never cooked one before and all I've had before consists of brown sugar, butter, and sometimes a fruit like pineapple. What is something else I could try to do?

It's not been cut at all.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Cut up, simmer with a lot of cabbage or sauerkraut and a bottle of beer. Serve with good spicy mustard and some hard rolls.

Serve with chips, or something more german?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah, you can. I believe you can use agar to clarify as well, and it's less touchy than the egg raft.

Chips would work. Maybe a potato salad or something not too heavy.

Thank you, worked out great. I didn't really know what to do so I diced the ham, browned it in some oil quickly. tossed in a little bit of broth, beer and red cabbage. Cooked for about 30 minutes. Served on toasted kaiser roll with dijon (no real hot mustard).

Made a dill german potato salad that was good as well.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Croatoan posted:

So why were great threads like the cheese thread, the Indian thread, the industry thread (holy crap, some of us work in the FOOD industry) and the bread thread? I don't see how these needed to be in the culling. I'm not mod sassing, I just don't see why those in particular were cut when threads like the vegan thread are a-ok?

Edit: just noticed a ban for sassing about the changes. I'm not looking for trouble, I just wondered about those threads in particular. I thought they are great resources and that's one of the reasons I use GWS is for the resources we have. The wiki is made from threads like that. For example (not pimping it because it happened to be mine, I'm just really familiar with it) the cheese thread is where 100% of the cheese stuff on the wiki cake from. Again, Not trying to get probated or banned, if I can't ask about that here I'll delete this and shush.

Apparently any thread before this year was banhammered. This is to inspire us to make new threads.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

geetee posted:

Can anyone recommend a good cheesecake recipe please? At the risk of sounding like a heathen (because I'm no cheesecake aficionado), I am a fan of the stuff at The Cheesecake Factory. There's a million copycat recipes on Google, but that's always hit or miss. Bonus points if it's layered with red velvet cake. Thanks!

CI has a good cheesecake. I don't know how it compares to Cheesecake factory. But this is the one I make.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/20528/cooks-illustrated-cheesecake.html Recipe matches up with my magazine recipe.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vizrt posted:

Looking for some recipes for lunch that meet the following criteria:

-Easily prepared and cheap recipes. Nothing fancy.
-Easily portable. This is for lunch in between classes, and I bike to campus.
-Doesn't need to be refrigerated and can hold up in 90 degree heat for a thirty minute bike ride.

Would like to stop eating out each day. So, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas that meet the above list, it would be greatly appreciated.

30 minutes in 90 degree weather isn't bad at all. If you put it in a thermos (without icepacks) you shouldn't have to worry about it. As far as lunch. I love making red beans and rice.

Random google gives: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/red-beans-and-rice-recipe2/index.html You don't need three meats. Personally I use andouille or tasso (If I can find it). Bring this plus a bottle of tabasco and you have a full meal.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Fig Newton posted:

You don't want to have my sister-in-law, who would snigger behind my back literally until her dying day if I made her a cake, for any reason, that turned out less than perfect. "Wow, that Fig, she sure thought she could bake! And was it ever crappy!"

My mother-in-law would be perfectly polite about the lapsed cake, but she'd make vaguely negative, passive-aggressive comments about my cake-baking skilz ever after, too.

Yes, I am blessed by my in-laws, why do you ask? :D

Could you please keep this chat out of the official thread. I thought there was someone who needed help and you made me waste my time.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Joborgzorz posted:

I've made this before with pretty good success. In one of the old newbie threads someone posted a replacement for the spice blend used in the recipe. I have it at home and can post it when I get back if you'd like.

http://216.86.148.111/showthread.php?threadid=3333104&pagenumber=108&perpage=40#post387024087

I have it bookmarked because godamn is it a good jambalaya.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

I have a fairly large boston butt. I'm thinking of making a pulled NC bbq with half and something latin in the other. Maybe pork enchilladas. Not too sure. Any suggestions?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

hobbez posted:

someone recently posted an asian recipe, by some youtube channel with "dog" in the name.

It was essentially fried pork over noodles with an egg at the end, with some sort of sauce involved. :P

Anyone remember this? I can't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog/videos Somewhere in there, I don't remember the exact video but dog, and asian food is synonymous with "cooking with dog"

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

I've had my spyderco sharpmaker for over a year now and it's starting to work less and less. Does this mean I need to replace my plates (I clean it regularly). What are other options I can use that don't require buying more poo poo every year that are reliable (wetstone?)?

Also question about my godamn stove. It's a rental so replacing isn't an option. Whenever I want to boil water it takes loving forever especially compared to what I'm used to on traditional coil (it's a gas). But whenever I want something very low, like simmering rice or another wet item it's too hot. I try to fix this by taking folded aluminum foil and making a heatshield, but are there any other more novel ways... Can I calibrate my stove or am I hosed.

HClChicken fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 10, 2012

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Stalizard posted:

The sharpmaker is used for sharpening knives, rather than honing them. It's a completely foolproof way to take the dullest knife and make it shaving sharp in just a few minutes, and it doesn't completely destroy your blade like one of those drag through a V sharpeners.

If the stones seem like they're dulling and you run them through the dishwasher regularly, try rubbing them together to rough them back up a little bit. He recommends in the DVD that you do it when you first get them, maybe it'll help when they're all gunked up.

e:f,b.

I'll try this again, I usually wash with ajax but I guess I should be rubbing together.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Dead Goon posted:

I am making Lasagne for A GIRL on Sunday, is there any better recipe out there than the one in The Silver Spoon? (I have the book)

Not looking for anything mind blowing, just a nice, tasty Lasagne.

Silver spoon is very good, generally with pasta dishes the best way to improve them is with fresh pasta. That's why I love the silver spoon version. If I had a pasta roller I'd make it more often seeing as doing it all by hand is so frustrating.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

FishBulb posted:

Ive always been under the impression that you can reuse frying oil as long as you don't really over heat it while cooking (it will have an off taste if you take it up too high) and you strain it afterwards before storing it.

I've always done this, strain to make sure you don't have food parts (which breed bacteria/ disease) and store in something that is airtight and blocks sunlight (or in a dark area). Don't reuse for different types of cooking like doing fish and chips then vegetable tempura.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

me your dad posted:

Get married and someone will probably buy you one!

I got an awesome gift card when we got married and picked up my stand mixer. So this is very true,

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Wife bought almond meal instead of flour and we intended on baking bread with it. Can I use meal (have a recipe)? Can I alter the meal in any way to make it workable?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

I made the dough and filling for some cinnamon rolls two afternoons ago and I ended up having to refrigerate. I was unable to prepare them the nextmorning and now I check and the dough (cut into rolls) is flatter and a bit hard. If I just let it warm for 30 minutes and bake will it be pretty good overall or am I going to get a weird texture?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

I have a calphalone one skillet with a very flat bottom and low sides. It used to make eggs beautifully but I feel like either my daughter helping me with metal utensils :( or just usage has lost it's awesome coating. It's really frustrating to cook eggs now and I really am looking to replace it with another skillet that cooks some awesome over easy eggs (or scrambled). To make things better I got a gift certificate from the overpriced williams-sonoma. So my budget is 100 bucks.

Any recommndations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think most people are gonna tell you to buy a cast iron skillet for that. If you really want a nonstick skillet I think the concensus is to just buy the cheapest one in the size you want because the coating wears/scratches off so you're better off thinking of them being disposable. For what it's worth j scramble and fry eggs just fine on a non nonstick stainless steel skillet.

I have two cast iron skillets a big one for all purpose, and a smaller one for fatty meats and burgers. The smaller one is very seasoned but I don't want to ruin the seasoning with some eggs.