Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Tedronai66 posted:

So I got an opportunity to get some nugget hops last night from a guy who grows them in his community garden plot but doesn't brew. Split with another person, i got ~6 liters in volume of them. He had been leaving them without water for the past couple days so they'd dry out a little bit, but the internal stems don't seem to be dry enough yet (still somewhat bendy). I think I'll get roughly half a pound to a pound once dry.

What's the best way to dry them without over-drying? I have them sitting on a window screen right now in my garage (light protected) since it gets warmer there, but I don't know how "wet" these things really were. Some of the comes were starting to get a little brown on them on the vine.

I'd brew with them right now if I had the time, but i might have to freeze them soon, or refrigerate until the weekend/next week.

Also, assuming I don't gently caress these up, any good extract IPA/IIPA recipes involving nugget hops?

From the last thread, never did see an answer. Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

RiggenBlaque posted:

Anyone have recommendations for places to buy keg o-rings? I can't imagine one set costing $3.50 is right

McMaster Carr.

AS568a orings. The sizes you will need are:

Corny lid (the big one): 417 Silicone or Buna-N (half the cost of silicone) will work.
Dip tube: 109

All silicone would cost you roughly $1.98 per replacement (shipping is not included in this, as McM does not include shipping cost until they charge you for your order. In my limited experience with them, they put as many as they can into a box (it's just bags of orings), and it's around 5bux shipped.

Using Buna-N for the big o-ring drops that to ~$1.45 pre-shipping.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Imasalmon posted:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

That works well for me. Make sure the bottles are as cold as the beer. If you wanted to go straight from the faucet, you could modify the method slightly and use a more flexible tube with a stopper on it.

The Bowie bottler (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/bottling-wand-perlick-525-75-aka-bowie-bottler-228344/) and the stainless CP filler from the video in that thread (with the basketball air needle) look like definite improvements to biermunchers original concept.

FINALLY getting my parents old fridge this weekend :dance:

Already have one keg conditioning/carbing naturally (Saison, which was drat loving delicious when I kegged) and planning on brewing again soon for the second keg I have.

I'm also wondering if I should get a ~30qt aluminum turkey fryer pot/burner combo (ala Amazon/Bayou Classic), or hold off until I build my brew stand sometime next year.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Portlanders (I know there's a few of you in here, or at least 1): http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/for/2610767741.html might be worth looking in to. Organic grains for $1/lb or $40/bag.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

HOLY GOD, why didn't I ever think of tipping the bucket in the sink.

^ Left me thinking the exact same thing.

Also, I'd buy the poo poo out of a brewstand for the right price. I just need to make friends with some welders.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
I'm planning an APA that I might dry hop just to add a little more flavor, looking for suggestions on hop schedule.

Here's what I have so far:

1lb 20L
7.5lb Pale LME
WLP051 CA V (it's all my lhbs had)

For hops I have:

2 oz cascade pellets (6.5%)
~5 oz nugget whole hops, dried (~8 % i think, was given to me/pick from guys plant)

I was thinking 1-2 oz nugget for 60, another ounce at 10-15, and an ounce of cascade at 5-10, and an ounce of both for dry hop after 10-14 days in fermenter.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

indigi posted:

I'd suggest something like

.5-.75oz Nugget @60
1oz Nugget @10
1oz Nugget .5oz Cascade @5
1oz Nugget .5oz Cascade @0

Then let it sit for ~20-30 minutes before chilling. Nugget is typically a high AA hop, I think usually over 10, so assuming that this would put you at around 50-60 IBUs. I might cut back the crystal to .5-.75lbs, but I'm always afraid of over-crystaling an extract batch after a few 1.020 FGs in a row.

Hop schedule looks pretty good. I have no idea on the alpha and not sure if I dried them enough/too much, so I'm just estimating a little low for them. Might make the first nugget addition a FWH and use the other 1oz of cascade as a dry/keg carbing hop, actually. I also might cut back a little on the crystal, since WLP051 has less attenuation than WLP001.

My kegerator is almost complete! I'll have pictures soon. Kegged Saison should be ready to chill/serve this weekend.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

tesilential posted:

I haven't ever seen this question asked, and I know it's 100% opinion but I still would like some suggestions of having a diverse lineup of styles on tap.

I've currently got a quad that's getting bottled and a SMaSH casade/MO for the keg.

I need 3 more brews to keg plus another couple to ferment as backups.

I'd like to brew a dark malty brew like a porter or stout.

After that I'm kinda lost as to what else to brew so I can have a nice lineup for guests.

I have the following yeasts:
1275, 3711, 1968, 2308

I'll probably end up doing an IPA last (so it'll be freshest) since every likes those. What else should I brew?

What do you all have on tap now?

This all kinda started because last time around I had 4 pale beers on tap and it was kinda boring, I want to have a good variety this time.

For the 3711 Yeast, I might suggest This. I brewed it, but with white labs WLP565 (platinum saison), frech strisselspalt hops in place of perle/saaz, and got about the same flavor profile as described. It's an awesome beer.

It's currently all I have on tap, but an APA should be ready in ~2-3 weeks.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

I Love Topanga posted:

That's a great looking stand Hypnolobster. I'm at the point where I want to start building a brew stand and have looked at the Brewtus. What are the dimensions of yours? Is there anything you wish you would have done differently? added, not added? Do you still have the schematics?

These questions area really for everyone who has built or owns a stand.

If you really want the plans, BYO sells them for 3 bux or something, for the original brutus 10.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Cointelprofessional posted:

Widmer's X-114, Three Floyds Zombie Dust, Founders All-Day IPA, and Surly Wet all disagree.

I would save the excess hops if I could, but I don't have a vacuum sealer to preserve anything. I would prefer to just use them fresh rather than saving them.

You can go buy the ziploc bags that have a pump at the store. Not as good as a food saver, but better than nothing. You'll get 3 qt bags and a pump for like 4 bucks.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Jo3sh posted:

Morebeer, on the rare occasions I need any.

How in the name of gently caress does one get morebeer's site to load properly on Chrome (or IEtab or IE itself)?

Every time I got there I am unable to scroll down the whole page, etc.

Shame too, because I'd totally buy stuff from them.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Not sure what you're doing but I just went there in Chrome and can browse the site fine. Maybe you have an extension that's breaking poo poo?

It has something to do with my work proxy. Loaded fine at home.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Jo3sh posted:

Amarillo and Citra pellets are up at Hopsdirect. Better hurry, though.

Christ, I don't even know what other types to get. Amarillo/Citra/Chinook are on my list. But that's about it.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Jo3sh posted:

I got Magnum, because it has good clean bittering and is pretty flexible, and Bravo, becasue it sounded interesting. With what I have, that should get me through most of 2012, especially if I buy another pound or two later on.

Northern Brewer is a good one, too.

You've got me about to get all 6 of those. Now I just need a vacuum sealer to go along with.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

indigi posted:

Already out of Citra :(

e: I got Amarillo and Willamette. I have some NB, Saaz, Cascade, and Simcoe already, so this should last me through the year. Might need to stock back up on a noble hop for Belgians/lagers at some point as I've only about a half pound left.

welp, gently caress.

Credit card # got stolen, so I can't order for a few days.

Maybe it's a good thing since I'me somewhat over budget for the month. I'll do without amarillo/chinook and maybe just order some magnum/cascade/nb in the next couple months.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
So, how good is this vacuum sealer? Newegg has them with a coupon for $24 shipped.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

tesilential posted:

Are you able to share the coupon?

I have no experience with this vacuum sealer, but have been waiting for a good deal on one as well.

It's just in their email flyer from today: EMCJKHC75

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Huge_Midget posted:

Brewed 6 gallons of imperial porter yesterday evening. First time using White Labs Servomyces, heavy pre-fermentation oxygenation, and the first time I have made a starter with my new DIY stir plate. OG 1.090, White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast.

To say I have an active fermentation is a bit of an understatement. 3 hours after pitching it was partying like a rock star.

http://youtu.be/Y3uYmoVdZzA

That is awesome. One of these days I'll stop using buckets for fermentation so I can watch the show :v:

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Or step up to a 1bbl brewing setup! :v:

j3rkstore, are you also controlling temperature precisely as well (I don't know anybody's setups around here, and I don't have any ferm chamber yet)?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

TheCIASentMe posted:

How your cider finishes is more a question of how long you age it than anything else. You could spice it, make it sparkling, hell make it a cyser and the question remains of how long you age it. Not clear enough yet? Let it age more. Seriously cider is more a wine than a beer. You CAN drink it on week 2 but it tastes much better on week 52.

As to flavor, I tend to use mostly honey and only a little brown sugar. But really the answer is make several batches and see which one you prefer. Again though, this takes time because a crappy cider can turn godlike in a year.

This is definitely true. I bottled my first cider after 4 weeks, and i still have a few bottles not in my fridge. The ones I had a couple weeks after bottling were so-so, but now 8 weeks after, they're awesome (and at ~9% alcohol, dangerously easy to get drunk off of).

I think at some point, I'll do a batch the same way (4 gal pastuerized apple juice from costco, 2lb honey, 2lb dark or light brown sugar, cheapo muttons ale yeast), and let it just sit for 3 months.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm jealous of all you goons with local homebrew stores. The closest one to me is a 90 minute drive.

Today was bottling day for my second batch, Scottish Export 80 (extract with specialty grains). I think it's time to look into kegging because dealing with all these bottles is a pain in the rear end.

Morebeer and the like are useful for that, and not too much more per batch to brew.

CDA that I whipped up has been sitting in fermenter for a week or so, about another week until I dry hop with an ounce each of amarillo and cascade (maybe simcoe, but I only have 4 ounces of it left so I'm hoarding it like it's loving platinum)

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

rockcity posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking I have a handful of things I might be able to use lying around. I might have a spare fan and I know I have a power supply I can use. I do have some magnets, but I don't think they're strong enough though and they might be a bit heavy and weigh down on the motor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UD2UU0/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have these, and I think they'd work pretty well in a stirstarter.

I found an old stirrer/shaker on ebay that works pretty well, but might build one of these for my cousin.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Jo3sh's Electric Stout

Aromas of burnt flesh, but a drat tasty stout otherwise?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Zaepho posted:

Keg, Force Carb, Counter Pressure Fill into CO2 purged bottles, Cap on Foam. This is effectively what the big boys do just with awesome automated bottling machines.

I bought a Beer Gun over a year ago. So much nicer than CP, just for the one-hand operation.

Dry hopping my Zombie Dust sort-of-not-really-clone today. Didn't have Citra/couldn't get it in time at a price I was willing to pay ($5/2 oz, hell no, not when a pound was 29) so I took that base and used Falconer's Flight instead.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

Man. I know that airlock activity is not a great indication of what is going on in your fermenter, but this beer is insane. It is only like 1.070OG and it EXPLODED in the first 6 hours, and basically, now a week later is still bubbling about once every 30s or so.

I guess this is what happens when you pitch onto a yeast cake of 3711 and brett. :getin:

3711 is a goddamn monster when it gets going. Dried the Saison I made out to 1.002 :iia:.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Zaepho posted:

I've been thinking about getting my hands on one of these. Is it really worth the price? Counter pressure is absolutely a pain in the rear end trying to manage the valves and stuff so an easier way would definitely be a bonus.

I'd would say yes. You need either a wye for the co2 or a second regulator, but it's really as easy as pull the co2 trigger, pull the beer trigger, rinse/repeat.

Best $100 addition to my kegging setup since I like to share my beer with friends a lot. I'll do a couple gallons from multiple kegs.

Just saw these things on hbf. I want one (or two, or four :gonk:).

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

pugnax posted:

What is your fermentation chamber? A fridge or chest freezer with a digital temperature controller? I've always really wanted to get into lagering, but am planning on getting some sort of kegerator system going for my draft beer, rather than just having the keg iced in my lauter tun. :saddowns:

I have a mini-fridge I built a chamber around, using 1.5" foam insulation, and 'Great Stuff'/silicone sealing the smaller gaps. I got it to hold ~36 pretty easily earlier in the year. Haven't tried on the 90-100F days to get it that low though.