Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

ScaerCroe posted:

What are people's experiences with the Wyeast/White Labs Lambic Blends?

I started a lambic last week using White Labs blend, and someplaces I read that it is great and others suggest adding other dregs to it to make it more funky. Thoughts?

I think that they're weak sauce. The first generation beers that I've made with them have never turned out to my liking. They make good beer, but it's never sour or funky enough for me. I always supplement with bottle dregs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

Fluo posted:

It tastes fine, however I am almost positive the green is a mold of somekind. :( I really don't know what to do, because I don't want to risk infecting my bottling bucket and such. Just dump it right?

Just siphon out the mold. Measure the gravity, then in a week or two measure again. If it remains the same, you shouldn't have to worry about gushers.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Anybody have a good berliner recipe? Would like something with a nice "american style" tartness.

I do extract, but I'll use 2# each of pilsner and wheat DME with 0.5 oz of low alpha hops like hersbrecker or hallertau. Boil for a while, then I add Some straight lactobacillus to it and put it next to a heater for a week, trying to get temps around 100 degrees. Then I pitch a Berliner mix to finish it out. If you want some more complexity, pitch some jolly pumpkin dregs.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

Thufir posted:

I just inventoried my homebrews in the basement: 159 12-oz bottles and 23 growlers from 12 different batches. I guess I need to drink more beer :effort:

Oh yeah?

That's six crates of 12 oz bottles, six of champagne bottles, four cases of Belgian bottles, and six of 22oz bombers. They're all delabled and cleaned.

I keg most of the time, but I like to bottle my sour beers.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

hellfaucet posted:

For anyone who's interested in sour beers, or interested in starting one for the first time: Mike Tonsmiere's American Sour Beers is seriously awesome. Probably the best modern book on sours to-date. Seriously good and full of gems and excellent advice. I'm halfway through and learning so much, total expansion on Wild Brews.

Anyone who wants to brew one is in luck. Wyeast is coming out with some limited new blends.

https://www.wyeastlab.com/vssprogram.cfm?website=2

Wyeast 3203-PC De Bom Sour Blend™

Wyeast 3209-PC Oud Bruin Blend™

Wyeast 5223-PC Lactobacillus brevis

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Brewing with cherries - should they depitted or not?

While I'm talking about it - when you guys freeze fruits, do you squash them at all in the bag or primarily leave the fruits untouched?

From anecdotes, it goes back and forth. Some Belgian brewers insist that the stones add a nonnegotiable bittering flavor. Others say its fine to do without. I used a cherry puree for a Dawson's Kriek recipe and it turned out great.

I've done fruits both ways. I usually puree the fruit in a blender and then freeze the goop. I don't have any science to back me up, but I think I get better sugar/flavor extraction.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

Glottis posted:

I took a gravity sample / taste of my Consecration kit beer that's been in secondary for about 3 months (with the currants) and has had the Roeselare blend in it for about a month and a half.
1) The gravity was 1.003 which seems impossible to me.
2) It still tastes too hoppy because the kit is a piece of poo poo and tells you to put way more in than it should have
3) It's only vaguely sour, but that could just be me hallucinating sourness from the weird hoppiness.

I'm going to add some dregs from a Jolly Pumpkin beer. Based on what I've read about Roeselare, it frequently results in not sour beer on the first go-around, and some extra bugs would be a good idea. Does anyone think I'd need to add some extract as well to give the microorganisms more food, since the gravity is so stupidly low already?

If you are reluctant to throw it out, you can try tasting the grain. If it tastes stale and lovely then it'll probably make lovely beer, but it might be fine? Or you could even go so far as to mash it and taste that, since it just requires water and time. I've brewed with grains that were crushed in an open container for about half that time and had no issues.

I would add some more extract. Just boil half a gallon of water with some maltodextrin. At this point, the saccharomyces is still alive and will chew through any extract that you add which is why you want the more complex sugar. It should sour more over time, but you're right in that 1.003 isn't a lot to chew through. Definitely add the jolly pumpkin dregs and you'll have something sour relatively quickly.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Wait until they're papery, then you can pick those hops. Crush them in your hands and give them a smell. If you plan on using them, I wouldn't use them for bittering because you don't know their alpha acid content. Just use them for their aromatic qualities.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

internet celebrity posted:

Hey guys, looking for some advice. I'm moving to another state this weekend and I have three carboys full of delicious sour beer. What do you think is the best way to move them? I know they're going to be shaken up a bit, there's really nothing I can do about that. I'm thinking about getting solid stoppers for all of them to prevent any chance of air getting sucked in. Good idea? Other thoughts?

A few months ago, I transferred some sours from friend's house over to mine. We flushed some kegs with CO2, racked into them, then pressurized them. Once we got to my house, we racked into new containers. We didn't have any problem with them.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
I'm thinking about submitting, but I only have sour beers that I could send. Depending on who I get, they might think that is really awesome or really awful.

Cointelprofessional fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 25, 2014

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007

ChickenArise posted:

I wish the learning curve for sours wasn't so slow. Each batch has been a big improvement (and age seems to fix tons of stuff), but dammit I wish I didn't have like 60 bottles of super-sour.

Blend it then. Brew a regular beer to blend with (usually a blonde) and find the right ratio to make it less sour.

Do you ferment your beer with a neutral yeast before adding the bugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
I've been homebrewing for a number of years and decided I'd like to try my hand at winemaking. It seems a lot less labor intensive and I already have nearly all of the equipment to get started. I'm assuming that a few people here have feet in both worlds.

Are there any brands of kits that I should look out for or any conventional wisdom about brands or grape varietals to avoid? Any other advice?