Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Looks like the day after xmas is gonna be a nice 32 degrees. A perfect time to fire up my xmas gift (dark star burner). Any tips for brewing in mild cold?

Have a second propane tank ready, keep it warm, and swap the tanks when the flow rate drops on the one feeding the burner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Whats your planned OG? Smack Packs are usually OK to pitch by themselves up to 1.060 or so.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Thanks a lot J3rkstore! I've had the Lager and the Stout so far and they were really great, you're doing a good job. One thing though, I don't think you included the Irish Red, I'm at work and I don't remember what the bottle is labeled but it wasn't an I. If I remember to check it out at home let me know what it is. Looking forward to getting to the cider because I too like it dry.

Glad to hear it arrived safely! Look for the bottle with the "H" on it and turn it 90* :v:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

BLARGHLE posted:

J3rkstore, if you see this before you get home, be careful with that bag. I grabbed it on the way, and kinda underestimated how much it would hold, so the handles(and bag in general) are entirely inadequate for what I put in there.

Also, god drat you and your 65f! It was 23f when I left my house this morning!

Thank you BLARGHLE for the hand-delivered SS gift, that's quite a trip so I hope you had some other reason to drive that far!

My wife unfortunately wouldn't/didn't see this post and ripped one of the handles clean off the bag but there were no casualties.

It looks like the 'dillo and I have some work to do:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
My new 10gal HERMS system. Seen here while sparging an Irish Red today.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
They're just placed there. I was originally going to secure them, but they don't move much even when I roll the rack around.

Now that I figured out the little details like how much hotter the HLT has to be than the mash and how much extra water I need to account for the hoses and coil I'm really happy with the way it turned out and have been getting ~90% efficiency. It takes some attention to keep the temperatures dialed in but not enough that I want to spend the cash go to electric just yet.

One thing I still need to do is replace that particle board holding the pumps with a nice piece of wood that's been sealed.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

BLARGHLE posted:

How much did this whole setup cost, if you don't mind my asking? I've been wanting to do some upgrades to my kit, but it seems like all of the HERMS plans I see are crazy expensive.

According to MY SPREADSHEET, $2k. :homebrew:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Josh Wow posted:

HOW TO FORCE CARB YOUR BEER LIKE A TOTAL BALLER:

:science:

:psyboom: I'm not sure why this never clicked with me until now, but thank you.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I've been doing 30 minute mashes on my new system with no problems :ssh:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Pool water got splashed into my wort during the cooling phase (don't ask).

New thread title please

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Has anyone had any experience with WLP800/WY2001 Pilsner yeast taking forever to ferment? I'm 10 days into primary and the gravity reading in both buckets is 1.050, from an OG of 1.072.

My batch size was 10gal and I made a 4L starter on a stir plate with 2 tubes of WLP800. I know the yeast was good because it exploded all over my kitchen :v: I don't have an oxygen stone yet so I aerated just by shaking the buckets.

I was originally fermenting at 52* but have upped the temperature to 54* to try and get it going a little faster, I had expected/hoped to be entering the diacetyl rest by now.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Planning on getting back into the game this month after a year long hiatus and will probably start with one of my IPA recipes. I remember reading in this thread a couple weeks ago that people were moving away from using crystal malts in pale ale/IPAs. What's being substituted now for better/more desirable results? I think my standard grain bill was just something along the lines of 90-92% pale 2-row and like 8-10% crystal 20/30/whatever

Ubik posted a recipie a while back with Maris Otter, Pilsner, and (i used Carapils) that I tried and think turned out great:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437782&userid=52113&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post402867648

Lager update, after moving it around a bit when taking hydrometer samples and increasing the temperature 2*F, airlock activity has resumed :toot:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Seems like its going OK to me, I'd go with D and if after 3 weeks its stuck then B.

Still dealing with my 1.07 lager fermentation taking forever. I pitched more WLP800 two weeks ago and then last week 4 packets of Saflager 34/70. :smith:

If the hydrometer samples didn't taste so good I'd dump it as it's really loving with my brewing schedule at this point.

j3rkstore fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 21, 2015

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Glottis posted:

Favorite fermenting temperature for Wyeast 3068 in a hefeweizen, go

66*

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Just off the top of my head you could try thinning out the mash a bit by increasing the water/grist ratio, mashing longer and oxygenating with pure o2.

I assume your yeast starters are using a stir plate? Can you share more details on your mashing process?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I was mainly asking to get more info on mash duration and any temperature steps, obviously a higher temp mash will result in more unfermentables.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

LaserWash posted:

Let's just say you had the terrible problem that your kegs were full, five or six of your carboys were empty, and you had two months off from work.
1.) Kolsch
2.) American Barleywine
3.) Flanders Red

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Exactly how much body/mouthfeel are you going for with all of that oat, carapils, and 155* mash?

If it were my recipe I'd get rid of the oats and dial back both the carapils and C30 to 0.75lb. I'd also move your 60 minute Amarillo to 10 or 0 minutes, and your 20 minute additions to 10 minutes.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Scarf posted:

Question though, do you all typically cold condition/lager in the primary or do you transfer it to something else?

Almost always in the primary unless I need the chest freezer space, then I keg it and stuff it in the kegerator.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Looks fine to me :cheers:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Scarf posted:

How easy is it to run some chemical tests on water?

Cpt.Wacky posted:

It's not super cheap at $42 but it is fairly simple: https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.php

I just had an analysis of my post-filter water done by Ward Lab, total turnaround time from ordering to getting the PDF result emailed to me was about three weeks. Here's the result, which is perfect for entry into Beersmith or Bruin Water:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Thats a sweet piece of equipment, and reminded me I had this in my bookmarks:

http://www.gourmetimportshop.com/Sansone-Stainless-Steel-NSF-Fusti-50-Liters-p/sa0050-sl.htm

Anyone have any experience turning these into fermentors?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Just use Josh Wow's method, there's no need for hope.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Alternatively you can buy Wyeast and not have any of these problems.

I hate White Labs packaging so much :argh:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Yamdankee is probably referring to the force carb method in the OP where you hit it with high pressure co2 multiple times while agitating to dial in the carbonation level. Shutting the co2 feed off allows you to get an idea of how much has made it into solution.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Read the OP for a surefire force-carbonation method.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I just finished my 240v build a week ago. I converted a 6'x6' closet off the back of my garage and based it on this guide: https://skrilnetz.net/how-to-build-a-brewing-control-panel-herms-240v-30-amp/ The first brew of an Irish Red went flawlessly and came in around 90% efficiency.

I was able to reuse most of my propane-based HERM system, but eventually I plan to upgrade the pots and move to welded tri-clover fittings everywhere as the locations I had for most of the valves arn't ideal for the new side-by-side pot setup :homebrew:

^ I found an empty 30amp circuit as well and had an electrician come in and do all the wiring/GFCI installation because I don't like invisible things that can kill you.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
My next (and hopefully last) upgrade purchase will be tri-clover equiped kettles, you might want to give them a look if you're of the same mindset:

https://www.brewershardware.com/Kettles/Premium-Sanitary-Fitting-Ferrule-Outfitted-Kettles/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Looking good!