Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Brew a lighter batch and blend? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Has anyone done a 100% Vienna Ale (not including specialty grains)? Right now I'm thinking of brewing one but wondering if I should throw in some pilsner malt for an extra boost in converting.

Vienna should have no problems converting without help.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Marshmallow Blue posted:

It's good ot check it at 2 weeks and then at 3 weeks to see if the gravity continued to drop, If it did, check it after another couple days. It's a good way to tell if you're ready to bottle.

—OR— If you're ballsy like me (:smug:) you can just check the gravity right before you bottle to get your alcohol and efficiency and all that jazz.

3 weeks is usually plenty of time for the yeast to do their business.

Yeah 3 weeks is what I recommend to new brewers. It's enough time for the ferment to definitely be done and for the yeast to have cleaned up any lingering off flavors. As you get more into the hobby and start sperging about yeast starters, aeration and fermentation temp you can turn around your average ale in like a week. But for those first batches, don't rush it, wait the 3 weeks and you'll have a great result.

There's no harm in checking it sooner if you want, as long as you are careful not to spit into the bucket or something. But do give it the full time before bottling. Just because it has hit terminal gravity doesn't mean the yeast are done eating all the leftover off flavors like diacetyl.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah, but is there any downside to it compared to an airlock?

I actually only use blowoff tubes now after one too many times thinking "surely there's enough headspace THIS time! *beer geyser soaks basement yet again 24 hours later*" If you're doing it right, your blowoff rig is actually an airlock anyway. Air can be forced out the tube and bubble up through the sanitizer solution the hose is stuck in, but can't go back toward the carboy.

The one thing to watch out for is that if there's a temperature drop, pressure will reverse and suck sanitizer back into your carboy. This happens with standard airlocks too, but the amount of liquid in one is so small it doesn't matter. If your blowoff tube is in a big jar that's really full, you could suck a ton of liquid back in. So just put enough in there to cover the tip of the hose.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Royal W posted:

I'm probably going to throw the airlock on Sunday anyway. The blowoff I have set up takes up a lot of space and likes to fall out of the sanitizer; So I want to use the airlock so I can stick my fermenter in a nice dark closet while I'm out of town next week and not worry about the hose falling onto the carpet 5 minutes after I leave the house.
So far, I'm having a lot of fun with it, though. I'm looking forward to my next batch already; and considering going off a recipe instead of a kit.

Yeah once you're past the first 3 days or so and fermentation activity has visibly died off, there's no harm switching back to the smaller airlock.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah. I've used citra before. Also in a FWH beer, was the last IPA I brewed and was a single hop IPA (citra). It was cool, though admittedly one dimensional, I wish it had more pineyness. I suppose I can do something else instead of citra in this one and leave fruit bomb duty to mosaic. Maybe just more Columbus? Any other hop ideas?

Simcoe if you can get it, or Centennial, are two workhorse hops for American IPA's.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Chip was the main dude running it and he left Northern Brewer to do his own thing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I use northern brewer but I'm buying grains and hops and stuff instead of kits. Its that 7.99 shipping that pulls me back as negligible differences in prices of grains per pound don't equal up to how much i save on shipping.

Anyone know of better shipping deals than the 7.99 flat rate at NB.

Assuming you don't have a decent LHBS (best shipping is no shipping), MoreBeer ships free if you order more than $60 worth of poo poo. Which isn't hard to do if you buy ingredients for several batches at once or buy that random gadget you've been "needing" :homebrew: Austin Homebrew has cheap shipping too.

I actually thought NB shitcanned their flat-rate shipping and everyone got mad. Did they bring that back? Haven't used them in a while because my LHBS owns.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Glottis posted:

Do you guys have any experience dry hopping in a keg? Room temperature? Hop bag?

If you're using pellets, DEFINITELY use a hop bag or your beer out post will clog every 0.002 seconds. I'd probably use one for whole hops too but I have no direct experience with how they behave in a keg.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hehe. Yeah what you were doing was completely negating the "auto" part of the auto siphon, and why it owns compared to the traditional way... Well, enjoy your newfound luxury!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Just in case there was any question how popular home brewing has become... I saw BYO Magazine at the checkout today at the grocery store :stare: It's a smaller chain, not Safeway or something, but still.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hey homebrew thread, long time no see. Had a quick question:

Is grain I crushed, say, 3 months ago still usable or will it be stale and funky? It's just been stored in a garbage bag unfortunately, not a sealed container. A while back I bought ingredients for an all-grain batch. Then life happened and I never had time to brew it. Hoping to finally brew this weekend and it would be cool not to have to chuck that malt, but I will if it's going to taste like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah thanks for the sanity check. I'm just gonna chuck it, it's not worth ruining a batch over $20 in grain.

Apparently this loving batch is permanently living under a dark star, though. Went to the LHBS to get some 3711 to make a starter for Sunday. They were out :argh: Supposed to be restocked tomorrow. Not too worried since in my experience a single cell of that yeast will ferment a hole through 6 feet of concrete.