Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Here's another yeast cross-reference chart I found in my bookmarks:

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

My personal feeling is that those are all great foods to eat with a beer alongside. Sure, I'll take a Chicago dog and a beer. But I don't really want them in the same glass.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

There are a few different types of mini kegs in that size range. Most of them are pretty marginal, IMO, for beer. They don't tend to stand up to repeated use, and the running costs are pretty high because they are (or historically have been) designed to use with the 12 or 16 gram CO2 cartridges.

That said, there are cut-down corny kegs now in a wide variety of sizes. I think there's even a 1-gallon Torpedo keg. That could be arranged to use with nitro or beer gas, although you'd still have to buy the gas bottle, regulator, nitro faucet, etc. - so the startup costs would be high, but the running costs would be pretty low. Personally, if I were going to go to that level of expense and bother, I'd just do it for five gallons at a go - but I don't have the space limitations others might have.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Yep, a buddy contacted me and said he had a few swingtops for me... turned out me meant "a few cases," so now I have boxes and bags and crates of the things.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Keisari posted:

What do you think about rye instead of wheat? Not in this recipe, but in general? IIRC rye bleeds something into the beer that makes it more viscous -> decreases watery mouthfeel

Anecdotally, I made a rye beer once that definitely had too much rye in it (65%, as I recall) - it had a downright oleaginous mouthfeel. So yes, I'd agree that something in the rye builds body. You might also look at oats. Both rye and oats are available malted, too, so you don't have to worry about conversion. You may need to add rice hulls if you use a significant dose of rye.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've heard those Inkbird temp controllers hooked up to a fridge do pretty well. Anything else necessary for that type of setup other than a big enough refrigerator?

Nope, that's pretty much it. Plug the controller into the wall, plug the fridge into the "Cooling" outlet on the Inkbird, put the temp probe inside the fridge cabinet, set your target temperature.

Very rarely, I also plug in a heater to the "heating" side when I want to keep the temperatures up.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I'd like to see these eggnog recipes you guys are using!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Jhet posted:

The government in the US doesn't really care about the safety of it or anything, though that's what the theme is. They just like the tax money and the money they get from the liquor lobbies.

I'm halfway convinced that there's a disinformation campaign in the US, waged by the BATFE, to convince people that distilling at home means instant blindness if you're lucky.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

yamdankee posted:

It tastes good but it has a very tanniny(?) feel that almost welds your tongue to your palate sort of thing like when you eat a crab apple. I have 4 gallons carbonated on tap now. Is there anything I can do at this point? For either what’s already kegged or what’s still in a carboy? If there’s nothing I can do now, what can I do in the future?

So your tree makes very tannic apples. That's actually a good thing. Now what you need is another tree that makes sweet apples, or just sweet apple juice for the blending. The very best cider is made from blends of apples, so that you can get a balanced result. Here in SoCal, all I can really get is sweet juice. It obviously ferments just fine, but is kind of one-dimensional. By layering in tannic apples, you can make a more interesting product.

So, I suggest you do not chuck out your tannic cider. Make another batch of cider from sweet juice, and then keg and carbonate it just like you did this batch. Then you can blend in the glass to find a proportion that work well for you. Then you can make cider from blended juice for the next next batch.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

yamdankee posted:

The ratio in the glass is basically the ratio I should do in the carboy to ferment next time?

It's certainly going to be a great starting point. My guess is that you won't need a bunch of the tannic juice. I've never actually done this, but I would not be surprised if it's 1:4 tannic to sweet, or even 1:10.

Like lots of things in homebrewing, your second attempt, or your third, or your ninth, may not be the perfect one, but I think you'll have a lot of fun along the way.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

A coworker is asking me about homebrewing - any good shops you can recommend in the Dallas, TX metro area? I see Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson in the results of a quick look online - are they good to newbies?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

oh no computer posted:

Took a reading - 1.016 (target is 1.008-1.014). Smells and tastes OK, so just slow as gently caress then I guess, I'll give it another week or two.

That's not way out of bounds. If the gravity hasn't changed when you get back to it, it's not going to drop any more. and you can just package it.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Kegging made brewing much more fun for me. It's well worth the investment if you're going to brew regularly and want to keep it up for a while. I don't think I would still be a brewer if I was still bottling.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

thotsky posted:

[With kegging] it's tough to get the carbonation/pour right compared to bottle conditioning.

I'll respectfully disagree there. I had way more trouble with carbonation in bottles than I do in kegs. Now that I have my system well set up, I never worry about gushing or flat beer - it's always just a good pour.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Uncrushed, at reasonable temperatures, in sealed, vermin-proof containers, a couple of years.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I'll add that it's important to keep your grain separated if you can. If you get one sack which has grain beetles, the bugs will spread to whatever else they can reach. If you open a bucket and find bugs in it, discard that grain and wash the bucket out well to avoid cross-contaminating clean malt.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Now there's a beer stain on my basement ceiling.

It's not homebrew if you don't mop the ceiling at least once in a while.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I have a Cereal Killer which I like a lot. I have mine hooked up to a gearmotor, which turns it real nice.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Here's my whole Cereal Killer setup.

The motor is a 173 RPM gearmotor I bought as a working pull from a surplus place many years ago. I had this coupled to a different mill previously, so when I built the cart, I 3D printed a different coupler half. I also 3D printed a little riser to align the motor and mill shafts, and an adapter to let me use a PET fermenter as a hopper instead of the stock one, which I found too small.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

And even if it does have some non-Saccharomyces in it, nothing can grow in beer that will kill you. If it smells good and tastes good, congratulations, you made beer!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Huh. I didn't know (but really should have guessed) that people care about the shape their corn pops to. That was an interesting dive into Google. I still wish I knew why mushroom popcorn was desirable for this recipe, though.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 10, 2022

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Hm, interesting. Thanks for posting the recipe and the followup.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Jhet posted:

Cheaper would be buying unmalted corn. Cracking it and boiling it, and then adding it to the mash.

Obviously, a commercial brewer couldn't do this, as it's not "food," but cracked feed corn is stupid cheap. Precracked makes it easier to get through the grain mill, then make a pot of polenta out of it, and mash it up. Make sure you get the stuff without added flavorings or other ingredients, though.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

A drop or two of Fermcap in the starter flask will also help a whole lot.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Crack posted:

isomerised hop extract

I was under the impression this wasn't really available in homebrew scales. If you know where to get it, please post a link.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

big scary monsters posted:

New hot beer trend idea: a nice, balanced 4.5% ESB.

That's a petition I would sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I feel that. I've pretty much stopped drinking at all, and I have what amounts to a pilot brewery in a couple of sheds. I know I would get a few pennies on the dollar, so I am just going to keep it for now, to see what future chapters of life might bring.