Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Check upload date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In summary, YouTubers are a land of contrasts

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fines proportion matters, AND nobody is saying to brew with 0 fines.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hi, you may remember me as "that guy who won't shut up about the Flair Pro 2, creating fanboy videos and guesting on podcasts about it". As of a few days ago, I truly thought it was endgame for me.

Along comes an Argos
https://youtu.be/nJUFRXlNIl0

The machine still needs some babying, but seems like a big step change up from the Flair 58, with its PID boiler and actually having a steam wand and reasonable back to back shot times. Definitely on my "if I get a big Christmas bonus for a change" list!

Relevant to current conversation, it'd be the first machine I'd actually need to care about a cleaning routine. That's one downside of having a closed water path.

And yeah, Lance bringing his usual insanely detailed and helpful review, mixed with :smug: comments and mannerisms that everyone loves to complain about. This poo poo right here keeps me subscribed though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Looks like max temperature for water at that height is 206°F / 97°C. That should be fine for drip / pour over / French press. You'll be much further along in your hobby / skill / gear progression before you reach the quality diminishing such a temperature matters.

The typical dial in process will show you, through taste, what adjustments you need to make. 97C vs 100C might require a tiny adjustment in grind setting or brew time, but those adjustments are good practice any time you open a new bag anyhow.

Sounds like you're on the start of your journey, so congrats! At this stage, tiny gear and skill improvements make a big difference, so you're in for a treat.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Corb3t posted:

This is a great walkthrough of the Aiden:

https://youtu.be/Q-C8VzKqhSw?si=NHhZf2jh8TReG1vt

Some things of note:
- Brew extractions beyond 22%
- The shower head’s inner nozzles can provide enough water pressure for high agitation into your coffee bed.
- They’re really hyping up the temperature control and stability throughout the process - lots of double walled materials and seals to keep steam in the coffee bed and basket.
- Looks really nicely made - Giant removable water tank, wheels for counters without much vertical space, cable management.
- 1 button SCA approved auto brew function.
- Guided brew function to walk you through brewing specific bean profiles.
- Preorder comes with 3x bags of coffee valued at $75.

It looks really slick. I kinda want one.

Me too, except I make drip strength about 4x per year, so probably not

theHUNGERian posted:

I did it! Consistent espresso/ristretto shots!! That don't taste like rear end!!!

Of course the answer was puck prep. Specifically, a filter between the basket and the grounds. Thank you thread!

Hell yeah brother

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Non-cybertruck owner spotted

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do y'all count "time in the chest freezer" as time to offgas? Bought a bag that was roasted yesterday, wondering if I should freeze now for use in 4 days, or sit on counter until then, then freeze unused portion. Medium roast.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's not in the same use case as a 58 or Robot though... For home use, I'd get a Flair neo for $100 including pressure gauge and expect much better outcomes than that. The correct competitor is the picopresso for travel / camping ultra portable.

I'd also preheat it three times for medium or light roast, which isn't too tough

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hell yeah manual for life

Most deep dive nerd out (or sperg out) videos are about managing grind consistency and puck prep so your dumb constant pressure, no flow control machine doesn't blow a channel through the grounds. Really most issues of concern should have a caveat "you can compensate for this if you can use a Decent or gagguino or needle valve or manual lever to adjust on the fly"

Including Lance's video he released today, which basically said be careful of 6bar shots since your puck might degrade too quickly. Not if I ease back on the pressure :cheers:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Buy a $100 Flair Neo Flex, use it for 3-5 months while you wait, sell it for *checks ebay* $70-80 once the Meticulous is in (or longer if you have a defect...)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Buy a boring but excellent mug and add stickers for fun

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I have the cheapo Contigo mug. My wife has a zojirushi. No experience with the others on SE's list.

Contigo holds temp enough for me. Doesn't hold onto flavors or odors. The lid does have a button / lock which works well except if you have ice or if you take it on an airplane. Ice shards can get stuck in the opening, keeping it from closing. In an airplane, the changing pressure causes spills if your mug gets tipped. Otherwise it's fine.

The button / lock is easy to clean since it just goes in the dishwasher - and for that I prefer it over the zoji. The latter does keep the drinks hotter and the seal is better, but it's a PITA to wash.

hypnophant posted:

The kinto and zoji have complicated lids which are a pain to clean (best option is to dishwash).

This would be great, but officially zoji lids are not dishwasher safe, and plenty of Amazon reviews say they tried but now it doesn't seal well over time if you dishwash it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

hypnophant posted:

i pull out the little inner mouthpiece and silicone stopper and dishwash those (in a section of the cutlery basket), rather than throwing the whole thing in there, and have not had any problems. The outer lid isn't exactly flimsy but I can see how the hinge or some parts of the catch might warp.

I will say that the yeti has one of the nicest lids to clean apart from one-piece lids like the carter. it's just a flat piece of polycarbonate with a little magnetic toggle that pops on and off. everything comes apart and wipes down in two seconds and it's also very tactile and fun to fiddle with when you're sitting there on the bus or whatever.

Haha my wife uses the Yeti for her water, and yeah it's a fun fidget toy and the top parts go in the dishwasher for us. But it's also awful for spills - not just leaks but easily dislodges the lid if something bumps up against it.

So good vessel if you always have it upright / in a cup holder