Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
No problem logging in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Did anyone back the Invergo automated pourover brewer on Kickstarter? It sounds like you may be in for some disappointment. Read the home-barista thread starting here and check the recent private backer updates on Kickstarter.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
:argh:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I was considering buying a second hand Lusso as a light use backup machine at one point. All the machines I found had build quality issues like poorly bent wands and crooked electronics and gauges. Orphan Espresso was going to carry the PV machines until they imported a few and had to put so much work into fixing the build quality problems they didn't actually turn a profit.

Do keep in mind the Lusso is quite capable of pulling amazing ristretto shots and banging out a few caps; for a family of several people making flat whites throughout the day, the slow throughput and process of depressurizing and filling the boiler will get quite tedious. You would probably be better served by getting a solid inexpensive HX pump machine. What are you doing for a grinder?

Don't bother asking this question on Coffee Snobs unless you want to get reamed for not buying from one of the approved :australia: :australia: Australian :australia: :australia: site sponsor vendors.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I'm a super coffee sperg with all sorts of dumb poo poo, but I balked at the cost last year and got one of the Bonavita scales instead. I would still quite like to try an Acaia, but it's hard to justify $150 plus tax (Canadian price) when I already have a great scale. I have no intention of using my phone for anything that involves pouring water, and the Acaia's built-in display has always seemed a bit too minimalistic for my tastes. I have a hard time believing people are dramatically improving their coffee quality by monitoring pour flow rate graphs, or that sharing your pour graphs with others will catch on, but who knows. What I want from a non-portable brewing scale is 0.1 g precision, a nice clear display, a reasonably water resistant case, fast update, no auto-shutoff, and preferably a built-in timer.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
There are a lot of similar coffee and tea brewers on the market (e.g. HandyBrew and BREWT). The CCD and Bonavita porcelain take standard paper filters and will give you a much cleaner cup if that's your thing.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
:smug:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-LIDO-2-Manual-Coffee-Grinder_p_14.html

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Welp.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Any pourover stand that doesn't fit on my scale is of no interest to me.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

becoming posted:

Second edit - 800mL water, 200g grounds, twelve hours steeping, 534.4ml yield concentrate, which would equate to about 2,130mL coffee. Normally you'd expect to get that with about 148g of beans, so this is definitely less efficient than, say, pour-over. On the plus side, this is a good way to make something worthwhile out of stale beans that you were going to toss anyway. I'll measure yields from a few other methods and see how this compares.

At something like 5.3% TDS (typical for 4:1 immersion) it would actually be more like the equivalent yield of 128g prepared with a pourover/drip method at the same extraction. How are you filtering that? Your water loss is pretty low.

High strength immersion brewing is always going to be horribly inefficient because you lose so much of your yield to the full strength brewed coffee retained in the grounds. I have a really hard time justifying using twice as much coffee for the same result as the drip tower, but it is so much less hands-on. You're never going to get pourover efficiency, but I think you could get more out of the grounds with some sort of vacuum filtration setup.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=586R

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

grahm posted:

More displayable but also less consistent because the water does not flow through the grounds the same way every time, and sometimes doesn't even come into contact with all of the grounds. There are ways to get around that by layering multiple filters throughout the coffee bed, but the Toddy is more consistent. I don't like how either of them taste though so who am I to say really

You can get very consistent results in terms of taste and TDS with drip towers, depending on how you use them. Just make sure the whole bed of coffee is immersed, and adjust the drip rate to match the changing flow rate as the coffee extracts. It's helpful to pre-saturate the grounds and stir everything up beforehand as well. They are really meant to be set up in cafes and monitored by a barista throughout the day, so it's not ideal for home unless you work remotely. It's also obviously not workable if you want to make coffee to sell in bulk. Cafes that run drip tower setups usually have multiple commercial size towers running all day just to make enough for the drinks they sell.

The process is slow enough you don't really have to worry about uneven flow as you slowly dilute the slurry. I've been told off by industry people for suggesting this in the past. Apparently many people prefer to use drip towers with the grounds barely saturated and not immersed in liquid to intentionally create a very uneven extraction for vague reasons like "it's less bitter" (compared to who knows what control - unblinded tastes tests are next to worthless).

I prefer to use a drip tower for brew ratios under 1:8 because the yield drops so dramatically with immersion brewing. At 1:4 you're losing about 40% of the extracted solids to grounds retention, and after figuring in the difference in loss it can cost basically twice as much for the same amount of immersion concentrate at that strength. Most commercial cold brew outfits seem to stay around the far more commercially viable 1:8 ratio. There is no point in going lower unless you really need a concentrate more than twice as strong as regular coffee. It is a little frustrating how often I see people wasting a bunch of coffee to make super high strength concentrates they immediately cut with water.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

And Stumptown a few weeks ago...

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Also you won't be saving any money by doing espresso at home.

With excellent third wave beans from somewhere like 49th Parallel, it costs me $0.60 CAD to pull a double, and another $0.15 CAD to make it a cappuccino. The latter would cost me about $4.15 CAD with tax at either Starbucks or a decent local cafe. If my housemate and I have just one cappuccino every day, we are saving about $2500 every year, minus the cost of electricity and machine maintenance. I also make better coffee than any local cafe. I didn't get into home espresso for the savings, but tell me how I am not saving money by doing it at home? It has paid for the cost of my equipment many times over.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

So you completely stopped going to cafes? Ok then you're an exception.

You also had to go through a ton of beans while learning it at home.

Even if I went to cafes half the time I'd still be saving $1250/year, and I know plenty of people who spend more than $4.15 at cafes every day. I sure as hell didn't waste that much coffee learning to pull drinkable shots. I don't tell people to get into the home espresso hobby for the savings, but it's pretty hard to not break even and save money in the long run even if you are dropping $4-5k on a nice machine and grinder. The upfront cost is a bitch, but the consumables are very cheap compared to what you pay for a prepared drink, and good equipment lasts indefinitely.

kim jong-illin posted:

If you have to quantify your hobby by cost, it's not really a hobby.

Bob_McBob posted:

I didn't get into home espresso for the savings

I have no idea where the rest of your post is coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Kreez posted:

Reading the coffee nerd forums, I shouldn't attempt to use my Vario for both filter and espresso, as constantly changing settings is likely to wear it out, and make it hard to dial back in perfectly. I'm not so worried about dialing it back in perfectly, but I don't want to break my grinder. It seems silly to me that a $400 grinder wouldn't be able to handle changing settings, and I assume this is just the internet being the internet, but then again, this is also the grinder that even after tearing it apart and putting shims on the sliders, still needs the sliders held by hand while grinding to stop it from changing settings on it's own.

Any thoughts? I'm not trying to use it to run a cafe or anything, just switching to a coarse grind if we wake up and decide both of us are too lazy to make espresso.

Baratza advertises this feature, but the reality is dialing in an espresso grinder every time you use it really sucks, even for grinders that can easily be adjusted over a large range. Ideally you want one grinder for espresso that is left dialed in, and a second grinder for other methods. Moving the setting back and forth shouldn't damage the grinder, but keep in mind if you use it with the hopper full (i.e. not grinding individual weighed doses), you must run the grinder and grind coffee while you adjust it finer. The Vario also doesn't predictably return to exactly the same setting, which means sink shots getting it dialed in again. The end result is a lot of wastage as well as less consistent results with all brew methods.