Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Please post what coffee shop that was so I can avoid it until "food grade pantyhose" has been invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Do any of y'all have experience with vacuum brewing?

It looks nerdy and fun and novel.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

A friend of mine, publicly known as the "Macgyver of Coffee", uses a bread maker and a heat gun. You can usually find bread makers at goodwill, and heat guns cost about 50 bucks. The news in the metroplex did a story on him if your interest is piqued.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I bought a Bodum french press a couple years ago, and when I broke it one day (knocked it against a heavy pyrex measuring cup, totally my fault) I went out and bought the exact same one again. I'm really satisfied with it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

I don't think there's anything directly comparable to the sort of voodoo magic nonsense you get in the audiophile industry.

You forgot about cat poo poo coffee!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

We talked about this a ways back, and the consensus was pretty much that if you rent, you you can just wash the entirety down the drain with the spray nozzle. It is much easier that way. I usually just rinse it off every morning and give it a full-blown soap scrub every week or so.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Isn't the whole point of the mod to fix that exact problem? Why the hell haven't you done it?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I really feel like you should try this one and report back. The page boasts a big improvement and I personally would rather upgrade something than buy a new thing because I am ultra cheap and handy.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I am under the impression that good grinders are really important for espresso, and less and less important as the grind size increases. Since french presses require really coarse coffee, I don't worry too much about the grinder.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I only know enough about coffee to be dangerous, but I think that starbucks' christmas blend is actually a pretty good one. Its mostly Sumatran beans, which are pretty much the only type that can withstand being roasted way-too-thoroughly by starbucks roasters.

I originally "got in" to coffee because the regular starbucks-brand Sumatran beans produced a really satisfying cup when I put them in my lovely Mr. Coffee.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Alleric I think your post was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise totally elitist espresso circlejerk. Thank you for posting it. At $6.66 bucks a pound, I'd say that stuff is probably worth testing out before I go ballistic about how much it sucks, but maybe that is just me.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I used to have a paper filter but my mom gave it to me and I have no idea where it came from. It might have been home made.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Astronaut Jones posted:

This looks very promising.

I know enough about control theory to know that the "Power Controlled Temperature Glide" was made by someone who knows nothing about control theory.

I also feel like I have learned enough from this thread to know the rest is total bullshit.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Has anyone invented a mesh filter for grinds that blocks coarse grinds and lets fine grinds pass all the way through it, leaving appropriate grinds in the middle? It seems like this is a really obvious invention that would not even be difficult to create, so why the heck don't they sell them at walmart?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I've always appreciated that guy because I used to wonder what would happen if I min/maxed all the fats in my life for complete omega-fatty acid domination. Now I know that it leads to a kickin' rad combination of mania and baby-headed badsense.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Glockamole posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a Hario Slim Mill and Clever Dripper a week or two ago. While the quality of my coffee has dramatically improved, I have an issue. My travel mug should be ashamed of itself. Can I get a suggestion for a travel mug with at least 16 ounces of capacity that's up to the task of carrying my coffee without spilling it?

This might not have universal appeal but I was really excited about it when I discovered that I could just use my own mason jars with a nice washable lid: http://cuppow.com/

Whenever I think of metal travel mugs I remember the deathly stench that wafted out of my parents' mugs even right out of the dishwasher. Glass is so much easier to clean and it's really easy to replace. A whole flat of glass "travel mugs" is cheaper than a single travel mug at starbucks last I checked.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Florida Betty posted:

Doesn't the glass get too hot to hold? Does it fit in the cup holder in your car?

There are a huge variety of of different kinds of mason jars and I am sure that there are many that fit in cup holders.

Sleeves that fit regular cups can fit 'em, as well as a huge assortment of re-usable sleeves available everywhere.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

If any of y'all are near a Gimme! Coffee, I'd like to inform you that their Yirgacheffe tastes exactly like how coffee bloggers describe Yirgacheffe.

I have had it in a lot of places with high hopes because it gets such good reviews, but it has never lived up to the hype. Usually it just tastes bland and vaguely sour, but the stuff Gimme! Coffee puts out is freaking incredible.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I think that is just a really strangely designed pour-over style coffee maker.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

What sort of container do you use over that thing for roasting? Just your regular wok?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Can the whirly pop still be used for popcorn, or does the roasting process leave an indelible coffee patina? My wife loves popcorn and I think I'm ready to try home roasting.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I just had the praises of cafe bustelo made in a $30 Mr. Coffee espresso machine sung to me by 4 different people. Is there some potential that they've discovered some strange zen of cheap and good espresso?

It could be that it actually produced an amazing cup, but it is far more likely that those four people were doing what polite people do whenever anyone makes them a drink of anything and you are just to spergy to understand how manners work.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

Oh, can do!

It came out not too bad: acidic, but not overly so. Unfortunately, it's not all that complex, because it seemed a little empty on the end. I used a French press, if it matters.

Still, next time I may try a lighter roasting time, or a different set of beans. I never realized this was that easy, so I may just find a good set of beans, buy a 5lb bag every so often, and roast a week's worth at a time.

I think acidic implies that they were under-steeped and not necessarily poorly roasted. I used to get perfectly roasted beans (from Gimmie! Coffee) and still manage to make sour coffee by loving up the french press process in my bleary-eyed morning haze.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Oh cool we are having the loving pod coffee machine discussion again. Great! So excited!

Diddle that button and drink that garbagewater, y'all.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Any chance you could post some photos of the internals? There is some interest over on home-barista, but the manufacturer's Facebook page is rather lacking in useful information. I would like to know what they look like inside and what sort of price range they are targeting.

I would also be interested in this but it seems like they are managing the poo poo out of their brand so probably he had to sign an NDA. It looks really cool but I am fully expecting it to cost more than the majority of the electric grinders recommended in this thread.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I feel like he would have mentioned the peaceful ambiance of a chainsaw endlessly revving in the background if he meant that one.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I thought the main reason to do inverted was getting the oils to push out of the top instead of being trapped in the grinds at the end?

I can't figure out what benefit that youtube has over the regular way and I would really like to be enlightened.

edit: Ohhh its probably because of the little drips at the beginning.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I'll start work on genetically engineering an envenomed palm civet immediately.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I have an aeropress and I have found that everyone has their own weird way* of making a cup with it. You should probably just experiment until you find one that you like. But definitely choose on taste and not on "aesthetic aversion".

*Personally, I use 18 grams of coffee and boiling water, bloom for 30 seconds, fill to the top over 30 seconds, then press for 30 seconds. Then I add about a cup of cool water to get it to a drinkable temperature and concentration. This tastes the best to me and someone else is about to tell you to turn it upside-down and use a gold filter and that presumably tastes the best to them. The dose is small enough that you can try a lot of different ways without wasting too much money/coffee so just go for it!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Have we talked about the Capresso CoffeeTeam TS yet?

Capresso is one of the good guys that makes proper grinders, right? Is this machine still too cheap and lovely to provide a proper grind+extraction?

My wife is frugal enough to block a $triple-digit grinder, but someone in my neighborhood is selling one of these combo machines for less than a hundred bucks and that would be much easier to talk her in to.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would use cold brew concentrate. The flavor will be more full and less oxidized than hot brewed then chilled coffee.

I have no experience with making coffee ice cream but this idea seems like the best one to me. Cold brewed concentrate is perfect over ice cream and I am sure it would be great mixed in, too.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

My cuisinart kettle broke this morning. What's the current crowd favorite for electrified kettles? I don't need a gooseneck and I don't really care about being able to heat to a specific degree because I own a kitchen thermometer.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

poo poo to begin with.

Um what the gently caress are you talking about? Gimmie coffee roasts literally the best beans I've ever had and I have had all of the most noteworthy roasters in Dallas and Austin. They're nowhere near poo poo.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

If you order online, they tell me you can get coffee very near its roast date anywhere in the states. You might want to order a bag and see for yourself. Maybe the beans people have tried in this thread were just way past the roasting date or something because even the shittiest gimmie-coffee-using shop in Ithaca (The Shop) still makes great tasting coffee (aside from the fact that there is always sludge on the bottom for some reason).

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Miko posted:

This explains so much to me that one time I had to makeshift a boiler and kept getting poo poo cup after poo poo cup out of my press. I mean, the water got hot and all, but the coffee was vile. Sour was exactly what happened.

Are you sure that it didn't just taste bad because you're not a hipster?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Tomed2000 posted:

I've seen your instructions and do pretty much the same thing (20g coffee, 3 min brew, stir at 1 min, etc). It might be the grind settings I have. For those with the baratza encore which number do you use for the CCD? Does a finer grind usually result in a more acidic or less acidic cup?

A few pages back everyone came to the conclusion that not-hot-enough water could also cause sourness.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

That is how I justify drinking work coffee instead of bringing my whole setup up to the office.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Stupid and fiddly is the name of the game when it comes to enjoying a coffee hobby. Try it out and report back!

I am personally convinced that all of my favorite flavors dwell in the oily part.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

It could also be lactose intolerance if you're putting cream or milk in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm going to be on the road soon (US, east coast) and I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on gas stations. Are there any particular places that are known for serving unusually good coffee?

This doesn't give me much hope: http://gasstationcoffee.tumblr.com/

When I drove from Texas to New York I just bought a growler full of iced coffee from a local coffee shop and ordered a cup of ice from the nearest lovely fast food joint whenever I wanted to have a cup. If you care about coffee at all this is the easiest way to make sure that you get a proper cup every time.