Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Saw that the nifty cerulean blue V60s were selling out everywhere and finally jumped on buying one, along with a Skerton Pro (which I am now to understand is only “ok”, and apparently no longer recommended, but I wanted to get free shipping and it’s what they had, and $37- the cost of the grinder minus the $13 shipping I would’ve otherwise paid- isn’t too bad)

Any recommendations for where to start getting coffee? Ideally good supermarket-available stuff. I’ve got Trader Joe’s, Wegmans, Costco in my rotation but am happy to go to Whole Foods, Market Basket, etc as well if there’s something there worth getting.

If there’s like a good store in Massachusetts, or a web store I’ll check those out too, but I guess I feel a bit weird having coffee shipped to me.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i don’t know what city you’re in but i would absolutely check for small time roasters near you before anywhere else

I’m around Boston, so if there’s a roaster anywhere in eastern Mass or the rest of New England I’m pretty much within distance of a store carrying their stuff I imagine

eke out posted:

places like Whole Foods tend to feature some local roasters, I bet there's some 12oz bags from somewhere not very far away from you there that actually have roasted-on dates that you could find? that'd probably be one of the best options, since finding something that isn't months-old is often the hardest thing to do at supermarkets. could also look out for the bigger names in the specialty scene that distribute all over, like counter culture or blue bottle

but tbh i doubt they're any cheaper than ordering from a local roaster or ordering from a somewhere online that you feel good about supporting, even with shipping

thanks for the advice

Am I gonna be happy with my Skerton? It’s my first grinder. I’ve ground coffee at the supermarket before but never really at home. I get the impression from some negative or indifferent reviews that I’d be doing good beans a disservice by using it though :ohdear:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This looks like a hipster version of the bripe. Besides the man behind Bripe looks like someone who just wants you to live your best bripe life.

the real Diamond Joe?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Made moka pot for the first time in a while and couldn't remember the exact details...how much coffee and then how much water? Ended up with 15g to 150ml and it turned out tasty enough.

Also my 3yo asked, nay, demanded a sip and declared it good, I have Concerns.

I was one of those children, drinking black coffee to my parents’ chagrin in like elementary school

the child will be fine

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jay Derkin posted:

Okay so I understand that this is heresy, and initially I was even ashamed of myself.

I purchased the new model Keurig where it actually brews your coffee mad slow, similar to doing a chemex/pourover at a normal rate, and it actually makes top tier coffee. Full bodied, well balanced, and braindead easy.

threadban

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah if british youtube coffee bae is down all bets are off

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
enough for a full bodied landfill

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

It's also a nice treat for guests. My nanny, who is 55, giggles when she walks in and I offer her one :3:

OOOOOH MISTAH SHEFFIELD! IS THAT CAWFEE FOR ME? OOOOOOOOH, I'M SORRY IT'S "HAND-PULLED ESPRESSO" VERY FANCY!

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 11, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm torn on Hoffman.

On one hand, he provides some pretty quality reviews/how-tos.

On the other hand, his tone and face makes him entirely punchable.

:chloe: that’s seriously loving weird, dude

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

Why do you want to punch the gentle, twee, helpful, British coffee guy

because he’s effete

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I don't apologize.
I don't need to like everyone you do.

Though I appreciate his videos, I don't really like him. I don't actually wish any violence on the guy, but since we're knee-jerking, it needs to be said plainly.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm not really invested in a slapfight with you guys.

you’re trafficking in the same thought processes historically used to casually justify and encourage violence and repression against people who don’t perform masculinity in “the right way”, but you probably knew that which is why you’re backpedaling now

tell us how you feel about trans people next

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Is that what I said? Like, you know that I didn't say that, right? You can read my post.

hmmm yes, ”the effete coffee Englishman just has something about his way and his face and his tone that makes him entirely punchable” help, I don’t know how to read between lines

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Reducing the person to "effete Englishman" is saying a whole lot more about you than about me right now. Not once was anything mentioned about his demeanor, I just don't like his tone.

Christ, given your rep sheet, I'm going to stop engaging with you altogether. Donno if you're trolling or willfully misunderstanding what I've said.

Oh no! My “rep sheet”! With probations! From the same handful of worthless D&D mods for slapfighting! Oh how do I bear the shame?

aren’t “tone” and “demeanor” sides of the same thing?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
have you considered punching it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sarcastx posted:

Need some advice on what to do in this unfortunate situation:

A family friend heard I'm "into" coffee (in that I have an espresso machine & grinder rather than getting it for 99c at Speedway) and got me 4 bags of Kona coffee. A really nice gesture; except that the coffee is pre-ground (much too coarsely for espresso).

I'm tempted to just run the grounds through my grinder... I tried it once but the results weren't great, and suffice to say, no amount of tamping makes the grounds usable for espresso as-is. Any suggestions?

edit:
This stuff (Koa Grande Domaine) to be specific

If it makes a difference the grinder is an OXO Brew Conical Burr

I would make a fuckton of cold-brew (and then probably try to figure out a way to put weed in it), but I like cold-brew.

Echoing calls to do pour-over (never too late to drop $20-40 to get a V60 or Chemex, just to -like- have. I know there are bettermore anorak-approved options, but this is about just doing something cheap and v readily accessible with relatively low cognitive lift), or do French-Press (again, don’t spend more than like $25)

Maybe try using it for cafes con leche or baking or flavoring meats or some other type of thing that you’d never use nice espresso for

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
how do ppl here feel about Bustelo?

I grabbed a brick at half price ($2.50) bc my Dominican mom reminded me of it

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 10, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I just eyeballed a zero-effort Bustelo pour in the V60 (two tbsp for a cup, next time I’ll probably do three). Filtered super quick, as would be expected with such a fine grind.

It’s not “high end” by any stretch but it’s a loving order of magnitude better than Dunkies, office coffee, etc. Holy poo poo what a night-and-day difference even for such a relatively minimal step.

It’s the “at least you made some effort” step, like how a $50 Craigslist receiver plus some garage-find speakers will blow p much any soundbar or Bluetooth speaker out of the water.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
blessings to you, Coffee Thread, on this, your Page 420

Coffee is one of my favorite delivery methods for cannamilk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

I'm looking to get some good coffee stuff for a friend of mine, and I'm not sure what it would be best to point him to. He's asked me about coffee grinders, so I'm thinking a Hairo hand grinder, unless there's a better one that isn't needlessly more expensive (although I could probably convince his partner to go halves on something). Also currently he has a Nespresso machine, I know you can get refillable capsules for these, so for the sake of making it easy for him would it be worth getting one of those to put decent coffee in? Or do I get him a Clever cone or something similar where he has to actually brew it himself?

v60 in ceramic is slightly cheaper than Clever and might feel a bit more “premium” to a newbie. But yeah, a pourover of some kind plus whatever is better than a Skerton Pro (what I started with + still use because it was on sale but I hear there are way better liked things out there) is 👍👍 and better than hacky refill pods that are a messy pain to use and get subpar results

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Put the beans up your butt no dry mouth

dry butt :ohdear:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

:chloe: You've gone too far.

Thumposaurus posted:

Put the caffeine pills up your butt no dry mouth

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

an excellent problem to have on a long bike ride

I was going to make a joke about Dry Butt becoming Chapped rear end, but actually Wet Butt leads to that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

Plus extra caffeine as you bypass most of 1st pass metabolism. Now what is the preferred grind for this? Discuss.

Ultra fine, as fine as you can make it, then placed in a bellows for most effective distribution and surface area coverage

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

I dunno, crunching some beans isn't that bad. Could probably make them interesting tasting if you put them in a spice mix or something.

I mean, they’re “interesting” enough if you put them in your butt, but you do you

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

The other day I was out driving with my dad and he wanted a snack, and I was regretting not making a cup of good coffee to bring with me, Starbucks was packed, so went through an Aroma Joe’s drive through. Aroma Joe’s is a New England drivethrough-only chain that feels like it never left the second wave or the 90’s in general. They had a Rwanda single origin next to their mocha vanilla caramel lattes and usual dark roast stuff on the enormous menu. It was shockingly good. It didn’t have a lot of acidity but it was sweet, balanced, and had no unpleasant roast flavors. It reminded me of Cometeer a lot. And it was like a buck fifty. Burn down dunkin and replace them with aroma Joe’s

Honeydew Donuts.

you meant to say “Burn down Dunkin and replace them with Honeydew”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sweeper posted:

I wish I could have more espresso in a day without twitching, stupid delicious coffee

do more weed

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jestery posted:

Probably mods on a dead forum

is the forum gay as well? interested parties want to know

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Try adding some cannamilk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ROJO posted:

Alright, my lovely kitchenaid drip maker is starting to piss me off because the carafe leaks where the plastic lid is sealed to the plastic, and various other reasons. Starting to buy decent goon coffee has opened my eyes compared to the lovely starbucks I had been buying up until a year ago, so I am looking to do something better on the brew side.

Looking to up my game with the Technivorm KBT, assuming that is still the recommended drip maker for folks willing to spend. The OP says to use paper filters, and I will admit I have been using a gold filter for the last decade or so. What constitutes a "good" paper filter? Are the Technivorm ones "good"? Or should I be looking for something else? Thanks goons.

Technivorm is the pretty standby. It will make you very very good coffee, in 1-2 ways, forever.

The price-equivalent Breville/Sage is the one you wanna get if you want to tinker and load up on customizations and convenience features, brew modes, etc.

It’s basically down to what you want. AFAIK there isn’t a clear winner, just different approaches to roughly the same problem. The Technivorm is the Technivorm. It has a cult for a reason. It’s a design icon. It makes a brilliant cup of coffee. If you’ve always lusted after it then no substitute will do.

The Breville is the most advanced and technologically capable pour over coffeemaker currently in existence. It will do many coffee-related things very well and in Breville’s intuitive and user-oriented style.

Lots of dorks have one. Lots of dorks have both.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xarthor posted:

Ok coffee goons, question time:

I've been using my $40 Mr. Coffee drip machine for awhile now and surprisingly it makes a good cup of joe. But aesthetically it's not the most beautiful thing in our kitchen. With the holidays coming up I was thinking about asking my parents for a new drip coffee maker because it's the kind of gift I'd never buy for myself.

Anyhow, I've been reading a lot of coffee reviews online and it seems like it comes down to one word: cheap. People seem to complain that every brand that used to be good (Braun, Bonavita, Bunn, etc) have replaced all their formerly quality metal pieces with cheap plastic pieces that break, leak, or foul the coffee taste. Many people say at this point there's no substantial build quality difference between a $40 Mr. Coffee machine and a $150 Braun.

Because it's a gift, I'm not going to ask my parents to buy me some $500 coffee maker (not that they would anyway.) Are there any decent drip coffee makers in the market in the $75-$150 range? And before you suggest, yes, I already have a Chemex and a moka pot. I like both and use them from time to time, but sometimes I'm lazy and just want to throw in some grounds hit a button. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have your parents give you a gift card and then spend the rest of the way to a Technivorm or Breville.

If you’re prepared to spend a hypothetical $150 in holiday money value on a coffee machine then you may as well push it to $300 and get the best there is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

So Hoffman posted his ultimate moka pot technique and I'm crossing off the moka pot from my list. Way too finnicky and kind of wasteful IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfDLoIvb0w4

sounds like racism against Italians (one of the worst and most evident kinds of racism in today’s world, unfortunately)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/uwMPGEo4zCs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jestery posted:

Do you guys ever get the coffee dream with Hoffman in it?

Must just be me then....

did you punch him in the face?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

Coffee thread is long, confusing, and full of over-caffeinated weirdos. Our Oxo on-brain 9 cup dripper has lasted about 5 years and died and we need a new drip pot. Having a timer is a plus but not required.

Way back when I was last researching drippers I looked at the Bonavita and the Technivorm. It looks like the Bonavita is no longer available. I like that the Technivorm is fully repairable but $330 is a lot.

AFAIK, at that price point you can either go Technivorm or Breville/Sage.

Technivorm- simple, teutonic, iconic, eternal

Breville- fancy, all of the tech, Breville user interface design, build quality, and customer support (very very good, best-in-class)

Breville = S-Class of drip coffee machines
Technivorm= S-Class of drip coffee machines, but it’s the S-Class from the 70s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

Yeah I appreciate the simplicity of the Technivorm, tired of replacing small appliances with touchscreens and gizmos that break in a few years.

FWIW, there’s no touchscreen BS or super complicated menu diving with the Breville. If you’ve ever used one of their recent toaster ovens or air friers, it’s basically that UI. Just like two buttons and a knob.

Arguably some of the best implementation of “smart” features/etc in a household appliance I’ve tried.

I would think more about what you want to do with the machine than worry about durability or support. The Breville will let you do stuff like cold brew, over ice, “auto Gold Cup” (ie the closest to what a Technivorm will do), etc, and let you micromanage things like brew time/temp/etc. to your heart’s content.

If you have a pourover device like a V60 or Clever that you want to hook up to your Breville for some bizarre reason, you can do that.

Last I checked, it’s also the drip machine that James Hoffman uses at home, if that matters at all to you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

So my morning French Press routine is changing, and I'm looking into buying a bigger one -- and a bigger kettle to go along with it. Currently I have a press that I think is 1L full capacity (I usually get 800 ml of coffee out of it, which I can stretch to 900 if I leave the top loose). And I have a stovetop gooseneck kettle that also appears to be about 1L.

I see that Bodum sells up to 1.5L French presses, and I can even find a 1.75L on Amazon (SterlingPro -- not a brand I'm familiar with). For the kettle, I still want temperature control, so at that capacity I'm thinking maybe an electric kettle is the way to go. But it's hard to find any that have close to 1.5L of water and also a gooseneck. I could definitely do without the gooseneck if necessary, but it'd be nice.

Any recommendations from personal experience? Or conversely, is there any issue with doing >1L of French press that I should be aware of?

I don’t think there are any gooseneck electric kettles that big, tbh. Might be worth picking up an inexpensive but high-volume non-GN if you plan to use it every day. It’s not like you need the gooseneck precision for French press nearly as much as for, say, pourover.

FWIW, my roommate and I use a non-gooseneck kettle for French press and even pourover/clever and it works fine for my needs, I assume it works fine for his.

I’d love to get a Stagg, and will probably do so in time, but until then the Oster has digital temp control up to like 220 degrees and holds a ton of water

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Red Crown posted:

I gotta transport problem.

I make my own coffee at home, I put it in a metal thermos, I drink it at work. I can definitely taste the metallic tinge on it. I have a glass sealed container, but I'd prefer not to have to re-heat it once I get in. Is there any magic, heat-trapping non-metallic coffee conveyance out there for me, or am I doomed to the horrible choice of slightly worse taste vs. slightly more effort?

sounds like you need a work rig

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What's a good cold brew contraption for making batches?

I got one of these because it seemed to get decent reviews on youtube, but I find that it's pretty inconvenient to use. There's no way to conveniently stir the grounds and it's difficult to get enough in there along with enough water to properly cover them.

An ex of mine had one of these and liked it enough to gift one to my mother (doesn’t have to be from Williams Sonoma, that was just the first link I saw)

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/oxo-cold-brew-coffee-maker/

Edit: apparently there’s a newer, more compact, stackable 24 oz sibling to the original’s 32 oz:

https://www.oxo.com/compact-cold-brew.html

fwiw NYT and other media seem to prefer the bigger one, but if the whole assembly’s going into the fridge then maybe the compact one is a better bet

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 20, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I use a plastic Melitta cone which uses the standard flat bottom filters you can buy in any grocery in America. I really see no benefit to the v60 unless you need speedier brews. The Melitta only takes like 30 seconds longer.

yes but the V60 is Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably take a look at all four units mentioned ( Clever, v60, Kalita Wave, Melitta). Although the Clever seems like a good medium for what I've wanted. Maybe I'll pick two of the four.

If I didn't want to invest into a gooseneck kettle, because I already have a nice water boiler I've been using for a few years, what are my options here? I've seen some cheap-looking tin gooseneck receptacles where you put boiling water into, would that be a decent option?

honestly I just go straight from the water boiler into the V60 most days.

Hario makes an inexpensive polycarb (that’s plastic) pouring kettle called the Air that’s pretty nice to use but you can also replicate much of the experience with your standard 2 cup Pyrex measuring/pouring cup