Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I'll second the Zojirushi as a good drip. Was recommended it in the last thread, bought it for my parents, and it works great. I will extend some advice though- using a gold cone tends to get rid of the biggest plus drip coffee has- it isn't as good at filtering out sludge as a paper filter.

I will also say to double check to make sure your pot is line up correctly- the way it works keeps the coffee from being exposed to air, so if it's not lined up properly it'll hit the edge of the hole on the top of the carafe and start spilling everywhere. It's a quick double check though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Not sure if I'm supposed to actually ask this here or ONLY in the questions thread but whatever, coffee people will be looking here.

I see a lot of grinders with clear containers for beans- large enough to store them in. But I always thought that light was one of the things that made beans go stale faster? I never actually store my beans in there, only putting in about enough to grind, but is there something I'm missing here? Is it negligible if you use the beans fast enough (within a week) or something?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

mediaphage posted:

And I mean, it grinds and brews the coffee all in about 30 seconds! So worth it.

That sounds interesting, and is a huge step up from my current setup which has started to show me how bad it truly was as I've grown in understanding. About how much did it cost/where can one get one?

I think the only issue for me would be if it just used a blade to grind it. I'd sooner spend money on a Baratza and some other solution.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Fresh ground will always be an improvement over pre-ground or store-ground, even if you're using a cheap blade grinder, but I have no experience with french roast to know if that would still apply (if it needs to be more uniform than a blade grinder would get you).

As I haven't done any roasting I'd probably just buy small bags of fairly fresh roasted beans from any local coffee shop- I'd bet it beats out whole beans sitting in a supermarket at the least for a comparable price- and you could buy 1/4 of a lb or something as you don't drink often.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My point was to establish a baseline.

IMO the best baseline to establish is: Drip coffee with fresh ground beans.

It's usually within anyone's means- they'll typically already have a drip machine and buying a cheap blade grinder isn't a waste even if you still dislike coffee because then you have a spice grinder.

There are issues still which could create bad coffee with this though- if your drip machine just sucks or is malfunctioning to begin with then it could be making bad coffee no matter what. Maybe you bought your beans from the supermarket- they've been sitting there for maybe years unbought. Stale. Maybe you bought FLAVORED bean - gross.

But for most people, having coffee that isn't Starbucks and is made from freshly ground beans could make a huge difference. You can start learning how strong you like your coffee, if you really do actually need any sugar or cream in it, and how much if you do. From there you can start moving upwards in quality. Better beans, better grinder, better machine or moving into a french press or espresso machine. At that point is when you'd start worrying about roasters and freshness of the roast I think, unless you happen to have someone local/cheap in which case you could worry about that much earlier.

Myself? I can appreciate coffee, but haven't moved up to actually having good equipment. What I do have is okay at best, but when I first got it? I was amazed. My wallet just can't catch up with the advancement of my tastes. As such I don't really bother on paying a premium on super fresh coffee as the difference would likely be wasted in the machine.

Comic fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 1, 2011

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

nm posted:

A hario hand grinder and a clever dripper isn't that expensive.

I have a burr grinder and a clever dripper, it's just that the burr grinder isn't very good. My espresso machine however was okay at best but now it's starting to break down because it was cheap and not all that great to begin with. Using nice beans in that is a waste since it either pulls shots way too slow or waaaay too fast these days, with very little inbetween.

But it's true, they are definitely not that expensive- but at the same time maybe more than someone who is simply curious and may not like coffee regardless would be willing to invest in. ... well the hand grinder at least. Clever drippers are super cheap.

Comic fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 2, 2011

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

AriTheDog posted:

Cheap Hario grinder and a Clever Coffee Cupper/Aeropress/French Press (French Press is probably not a great choice if you're worried about acid reflux). You could certainly skip the grinder and just get your beans ground fresh at a local coffee shop, but it'll probably save you money over time to own a grinder and buy larger quantities of roasted beans for a lower price per pound (Trader Joe's coffee isn't all great, but some of the stuff they carry is pretty decent and very, very cheap).

This is pretty good advice for the most part, but know that beans brewed moments after grinding have a lot of flavor and oils and such that are lost if you grind the beans and then take them home.

I know if I drink a lot of coffee without having eaten much then I'll get a bit of an acid reflux reaction- but that's like 2-3 cups on an empty stomach.

However, I've even seen Foldger's blends where they aim for lower acid just for people with sensitive stomachs- so that may be something you could look into if you just want to see if it is coffee in general or just your instant coffee (or maybe even your creamer) messing with you. It may not taste that great though so I do definitely want to stress the difference between pre-ground and freshly ground (at home). You can make cups of coffee that aren't bitter, at all. It's a thing that is possible. I had to always cover up my coffee with cream and sugar and these days if I make a good cup of coffee with a clever coffee dripper or something, then I can drink it black. It's almost tea-like. People used to pre-ground drip consider it a bit weak though BECAUSE it has no bitter bite to it. That all depends on the beans though, and I'm still learning about my preferences there myself. As I go deeper into the rabbit hole I appreciate coffee more, and there is a difference to bitter from the beans and bitter from being burnt by the way it was brewed- I can really enjoy a bitter coffee if it was brewed right these days.

Comic fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 3, 2011

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Had espresso finally at my favorite local coffee shop. They have all the right things, but it came out really bitter with almost no crema and much too bitter :smith:. What are the odds other places in town that make less-good drip coffee would have better espresso?

They're fairly unrelated in what is needed skillset wise so it's entirely possible. Drip coffee is mostly reliant on the beans and not much else while espresso takes knowing what you're doing to get a good result even if the beans are good. It's not THAT complicated, but obviously you just got espresso with no crema and probably pulled too slowly (I think that would be indicative of the super bitterness).

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

origami posted:

Are there other drip coffee makers you all could recommend? The amazon reviews on this gear make me pretty apprehensive.

My parents have one (Zojirushi) thanks to this thread, and I have to say that I haven't been disappointed in the machine at all- and my parents have been impressed- it was a great deal of an upgrade over their broken delonghi. They took a bit adjusting to the fact that it doesn't sit on a heater, and you do need to close up the pot to keep it from getting cold though. The top part twists on/off but also to open/close, and it comes with a 'lid' to put the hole where the coffee drips into. (Note: you can't have the lid on and have it sitting under the filter)

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Raynor posted:

The first times I tried it someone else prepared it with milk sugar and as I recall it the cup was brewed from a drip machine. This last cup was prepared in a french press which I drank with no additives. I have been able to get past some things bad taste in the past (like the bitterness in many vegetables), but coffee smells great, looks great, tastes like socks to me.

Do you know if they freshly ground the coffee, or if it was pre-ground? My experience with pre-ground coffee is that it is mostly terrible, but there are some that approach acceptable but not to drink black.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Raynor posted:

Before it was ground fresh. The last time around with the french press the coffee came from a vacuum sealed package that has one of those one-way valves built into the packaging.

Hmm, I want to lay some blame at the pre-ground, but it may just have been they weren't made well, or the beans weren't to your liking to begin with. The darker roasts of beans are more bitter, but too light and you have a lot of acidity which is easily confused for bitterness if you're not used to discerning it. I've had drip coffee made similarly with pre-ground that tasted better than freshly ground, depending on the machine and what was put in it- some drip machines really burn the coffee. I don't have enough experience with french press- I prefer pour over- but it could be anywhere from user error to the pre-ground itself. I imagine if you had additions to the french press it would've turned out better than the drip though.

Pre-ground in general is very... simple in flavor since time has basically taken its toll to a lot of the flavor. Coffee is definitely an acquired taste but it should be palatable even to people new to it with cream/milk and sugar.

Comic fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 31, 2012

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

rockcity posted:

Are there any budget models that do a halfway decent job in maybe the $30-40 range? I don't know if I could get her to look at a Hario hand-mill either, though I didn't bring the idea up to her.

I don't think you'll really find an 'okay' burr grinder in that range at all. The cheapest worthwhile one I found when I was looking on a budget is currently about $60, and it has static issues and the only thing it has going for it is that it is better than a blade grinder. Though I did buy it two years ago and it's still working.

Don't bother with the hand-mill, it's labor intensive and most people who grabbed it ended up tossing it and spending $$$ on a nice burr grinder.

Comic fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 22, 2012

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

404notfound posted:

Is there any way to salvage this $18 pound of coffee? Or some other trick with an Aeropress to maybe get around this problem?

You could try mixing it with a courser grind? Really though, you just have it so fine it's going to cause issues regardless, and be a bit bitter on top of that. I've only ever seen it recommended to grind it yourself and play around until you find a sweet spot, but if anyone else has any ideas...

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I didn't even think about that and I was actually filtering out some cold brew as I made that response.

That's definitely the way to go to keep that from going to waste, you can even get acceptable cold brew coffee out of terribly old stuff.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

nosleep posted:

I'm also using cheap Eight O'clock coffee cause there's no way I'm using basically a whole bag of delicious fresh roasted 15-20 dollar coffee for one batch of cold brew. My steep time has been 24 hours in the fridge.

I've gotten drinkable results from Folgers even, in a pinch (way more drinkable than any other preparation of it at least). However I usually only steep for 12 hours in the fridge. Maybe try a particularly small batch- like a single cup's worth, with your nicer coffee to see if it makes a difference? You may just dislike how those beans come out with cold brew.

As far as ratios go I mostly eyeball it, and mostly just dilute it according to how 'strong' it is. I've been making something at around 1:6 - 1:8 ratio but dilute it very little- treating it less as a concentrate and more as just regular coffee, but I also blend it with some milk or half & half, maybe some ice, to make it a more frothy drink. I know I made it much nicer last year but I've lost my secrets to time. However the other people drinking it drink a great deal more coffee than I, and I don't really want to try too hard when they have no complaints and I get so little of it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Quiet Feet posted:

. I'm weighing my options between getting another drip machine or going with a French press. I've heard that a French press can make a more flavorful cup of coffee but this is going to be something I only use in the morning when groggy and stupid. Are they much more of a hassle to use than a drip machine? How about cleanup?

I recently bought a french press. They're easy to use and cleanup is basically 'rinse in sink'. Maybe 'empty out in trash' first. You don't even have to deal with filters. (I say this but using a Clever Coffee Dripper is also just as easy but cleanup is way easier BECAUSE you use a filter. It also has the benefit of not getting grounds in the cup.) If you're grinding your own coffee I'd say do it no questions asked, as it doesn't take a fine grind or anything so it's pretty simple to do even while half-asleep. If you're using pre-ground... I don't know.

If you do go the route of a drip machine, anything with a metal/vacuum carafe is going to be miles better than a glass/whatever that sits on a burner.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Quiet Feet posted:

Honestly I appreciate the effort that went into it and it did answer some other questions I had (discarded the idea of getting a moka pot, for instance), but it's not like every single thing I'm asking about was in there.

For more recommendation, both a CCD and a french press really require you to have something to make hot water with, so if you're considering price and don't already have an electric (or standard) kettle then keep that in mind. CCDs and french presses aren't too expensive though.

The main problem I have with french press is that you do get grinds in your cup- it really only means don't drink the last of your coffee really, but if that's a dealbreaker I would say get a CCD instead. I've had one of those for even longer, and enjoy it a lot. It has a cup more similar to the drip machine (as you're using filters) and the most complex it gets to use is just knowing how to add the hot water in (there are plenty of usage tutorial videos on the internet if not their site).

I've even started using my CCD as a general filter as well when making coldbrew or french press for other people. Being able to set it on a cup or container and easily pick it up when the cup/container is full makes it a great thing to use to filter out the more fine grinds that a strainer wouldn't catch. With a lid I even don't feel bad about walking away and letting it drain. I only use it combined with a french press for people with which the grinds are a deal breaker and I also didn't want to bother making two different batches of coffee.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Bioshuffle posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Handy Brew Coffee Dripper Machine from Sweet Maria's? I've been drinking instant coffee for the past few months and I'm really ready for an upgrade.

It looks a lot like the ingenuTEA I use for... well, tea, only more functionally suited for coffee. I imagine it'll produce something like a french press, loose grinds/sludge and all. Some cups may not work nicely with it, if they are particularly large at the top, as the bottom looks smaller than the Clever Coffee Dripper. No personal experience with this specific thing though.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Mu Zeta posted:

That's another thing - the coffee doesn't taste all that good. I'm getting richer and more aromatic coffees from my pour overs. I think I need to let it brew longer than 3 minutes.

Also cleaning a French press sucks.

You can try messing with almost every part of it to see if it goes in a direction you prefer. Grind size, grounds:water ratio, brewing time... changing only one of these can alter your coffee. French press does come out different from anything with a filter though. Pour overs are much cleaner cups of coffee- you could even try filtering your french press to see if it's simply the sludge/microparticles/whatever that you get from a french press/lack of filter that you're not liking! Make the french press, try it, then filter it, and try it again and if you consider it a large improvement you may just not be a huge fan of french press. If it's still mediocre-to-terrible I'd alter something with how you're making your french press. I just follow the directions that came with mine and it makes a good enough cup.

Looking at the directions you follow, I think I use more coffee, a more coarse grind, and brew longer (4 minutes!) than it suggests.

Comic fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 23, 2013

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Coldbrew is generally less acidic than standard brewing processes I believe as well, so it should be fairly gentle to your digestive system.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Wish I'd seen the metropolis sale before splurging on other stuff (not even coffee related) a few hours ago. Looks like they don't have the beans I ordered from them before though, which had a cilantro flavor note, so I guess it's just as well. If shipping was cheaper I'd still jump on it, there's a distinct lack of fresh roasted beans here.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Keeper Garrett posted:

Any use for a grinder like that?

If you have the ability to just pulse it, you might get better results, as the blades and friction and everything will create less heat while grinding than a constant spin?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Who Dat posted:

^ maybe I'll stop at Whole Foods after work...they'd be the best place locally to find fresh roasted coffee. I'm really at a loss otherwise.

Look into local coffee places, they have to get their coffee from somewhere. If nobody roasts it nearby and has it all shipped to them they might still sell you a bag, and it's still likely to be fresher than something sitting on a store shelf. Just have to find out when they get their shipments in and jump on it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Steve Yun posted:

Option C: put off buying a Chemex or CCD for later, and cold brew instead

Equipment needed: strainer, funnel, jar, conical filter and any lovely grinder will do.

Not everyone likes cold brew but this is definitely the budget option. It's a favorite in my house during the summer, make a giant jug of coffee concentrate with it, blend half milk half coffee with some sugar and it's a summer treat.

Does cold brew heat well? If you're wanting a hot cup of coffee I don't even know how that would taste.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I drink coffee black myself, if I can get it freshly ground at least. I guess I still do cold coffee and such because even when I didn't like coffee I liked coffee ice cream and other such cold coffee drinks.

I have a CCD myself and it's pretty easy to use, has lasted me about two years now I think? I have a french press too but it makes a different kind of cup. I have a cheap 'burr grinder' but I make it work, it's still marginally better than a blade grinder.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Anyone heard of 'BUBBUB Coffee'? Out of nowhere I got a twitter request from them, with their description 'Small batch goon coffee roaster. All online and goony as all get out. We roast to order so nothing sits. Part of the 3rd 1/2 wave of coffee.' so I thought I'd ask the goon thread.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

rockcity posted:

That's goon MasterControl's coffee. He's the one who just bought that really awesome looking roaster a few pages back.

Aha! I'll keep the site bookmarked then, I just got a pound of coffee today and I'll be good for a bit.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Pudgygiant posted:

Any recommendations for cold brew coffee? I'm not committed enough to roast or grind it myself but I want something that doesn't taste like overcooked horse anus like Starbucks French Roast does. That's way too stout for cold brew even if I only steep it 8 or so hours. Breakfast Blend doesn't seem to have any in-between between "watery" and "mud", I've tried a couple different ratios and 8, 10, and 12 hours. Neither of them taste HORRIBLE after some cream (and caramel, because I'm not a very manly coffee drinker) but I wouldn't pay for them either.

I've also heard filtering it through coffee filters removes some flavors, is that true or just elitist BS? I do pre-wet them but if there's something I should be using instead of paper filters I'm all ears.

French Roast basically tastes like charcoal so I don't know if you'll get anything out of it no matter how you make it, but in general Starbucks brand coffee has had the flavor roasted out of it intentionally. Unless you're getting them free I'd suggest almost any other coffee, even if you're sticking to pre-ground. Though I have once had Folgers prepared for me that tasted like manure smells, so I will usually drink Starbucks before Folgers, or go without, even at my least picky.

When I make cold brew I typically fill the container I'm using 1/3 full and fill the rest with water. I give it a good shake every now and then when I remember, but I usually leave it for around 12 hours or more. Usually because if I'm making cold brew I'm feeling incredibly lazy. I also don't ever drink cold brew black when I make it, at the very least it goes in a glass and is half coffee concentrate and half milk.

I recently ordered some Verve coffee (1950s) and I am enjoying it. I hadn't bought any fresh roasted beans since... before August so I could divert the spending elsewhere, but man it is so nice to use my CCD again.

Comic fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 26, 2014

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

beanbrew posted:

I had to throw out like three or four cups of a new Rwanda we just got in because of their stupid potato defect. I bet this is gonna be super annoying in a couple weeks.

Potato defect? I'm completely clueless on what this means but I'm interested. :allears:

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Cimber posted:

My wife is talking about getting rid of our grinder/maker combo and getting a Keurig k-cup system. Is this at all worth while? I personally like the idea of being able to grind my own beans and have them immediately be brewed into a nice cup, and I'm not sure the k-cup solution is all that cost effective.

It absolutely isn't from any perspective: cost or taste.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Mu Zeta posted:

Keurigs are pretty sweet at an office setting. Nobody is going to clean the coffee machine or grinder there and the beans will go stale anyway.

Not to mention the person who goes to make the (standard drip) pot might like their coffee way too (weak/strong) and it's like drinking (water/fuel) and probably made from Folgers or similar quality pre-ground.

My parents picked up a Tassimo at some point, preferring it to having to deal with the nice Zojirushi drip machine they had. I try it when I'm desperate, and some of it is far more drinkable than I'd have expected, though I sooner will buy instant if I'm going to just be throwing it in a blender with milk and sugar anyway.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
While there definitely are expensive grinders which aren't worth the money they cost, the main thing you're looking for in a grinder is consistency, and the better grinders are going to be more consistent. This means all your ground beans will be in similar sized granules and this means each will be extracted the same- no over or under extraction occurring adding flavors you don't want- or messing with the pull of the shot in the case of espresso.

I know the thread recommends certain grinders and I'll leave them to do so, I haven't myself picked one up, having a 'burr grinder' that's fairly inconsistent, I wish I had listen to them when I had the cash to spare. It's probably the #1 investment you can make to improving your coffee. What I have is still better than a blade grinder, and a blade grinder is still better than using pre-ground... unless you spin it to the point it heats up your grounds, then it's worse because it's applying heat from friction alone.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

rockcity posted:

I stay in hotels roughly 100 nights a year and I have never seen a kettle or boiler in the breakfast area. I do see a lot of hot water carafes, but just the same style ones that hold coffee, which I'm sure is well below brew temp.

The hotel I work at has one, and it's only a 96 room hotel. Though ever since it broke a month or two ago and had to get repaired, it hasn't reached the same temperatures since. (I think it might've been set to go too hot which is why it ended up breaking...) Still hotter than the carafe we had to use while it was getting repaired though. It's good enough for tea at least, and more than hot enough for hot chocolate.

rockcity posted:

I just couldn't drink it, it tasted way more burnt than what I normally expect from them.

They may have mixed up packets or had a french roast or something. Alternately they screwed up filtration and got a lot of grounds in the carafe. I've seen the latter happen a few times, I have to go in and make the coffee myself. You'd think a system where they don't have to measure anything because it's pre-measured, using a drip machine that doesn't need filling, where the only thing they have to do is put in the filter and pour in the coffee would be fool proof but...

Comic fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 3, 2014

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

rockcity posted:

I'm guessing it was a French roast or something. It didn't taste over extracted, just much more charcoal burnt flavor than their regular roast already is.

Well, I've definitely tasted 'burnt' from having grounds in the carafe, because for that to happen isn't in the paper filter but being pressed against the metal filter holder before dropping into the carafe, which gets dangerously hot and may have literally burnt the grounds- or at least enough to affect the flavor. But that might be specific to the setup they use at the hotel. Hot water straight out of the coffee maker machines is really dangerously hot, but the coffee it makes is better than most pre-ground coffee when used properly (but still not...great), so I guess it's taken into calculation.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
That sounds tasty, I might have to try it today and drink it tomorrow. Never thought to put peppercorns in coffee either.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

that Vai sound posted:

It seems like my brews have about a 15 second window where it tastes good. Somewhere in the middle is perfect, and at the ends of the window it is acceptable. If the brew takes longer or shorter to finish, I might as well have bought Starbucks. Is that the norm?

Play around with your grind size maybe, you could go coarser and get more of a leeway in time, but it'll take longer overall.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you remember how your mom used to make you that crappy lunch and put it in a brown paper bag and you brought it to school and threw it away?

This just makes me sad. Why would you do this, your mother loves you.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Toshimo posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on sourcing decent prefab k-cups? We finally got a Keurig in at work, but it's pretty impractical to deal with the refillable metal cup here.

Even with great coffee you won't make a good cup with those, iirc. The amount of coffee + water potential ratios just can't do it very well due to the constraints of the machine? Or so I think I've read here.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Bronze posted:

Has anyone experimented with adding the grounds to the water instead of the other way around with a press? It seems like pouring over the grounds from so high is exactly what you try to avoid with pour over coffee.

If you do it that way I think the grounds will float at the top more, it'll be less mixed overall. Also I think you want to avoid pouring from a height with pourover so that you don't overly agitate the beans/filter leading to ripping or uneven extraction? That's not a problem with french press due to coarser grind and lack of a paper filter I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Wowporn posted:

I hear a lot that the most readily available vietnamese coffee grounds taste like ground up tires, if I got a phin would I be better off using it with my french roast of choice, or is the bitter rear end vietnam coffee an important component to the final product?

I actually ordered this the other day to fill up an amazon shipment, made it in a french press and it came out okay. It's definitely some of the best pre-ground coffee I've had (with milk + sugar) but it's still definitely pre-ground and I'd never try to drink it black like I would fresh coffee. I wouldn't bother with a phin.