Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
So for a really quite broke college student that rarely drinks coffee would it be worth the time/money to pick up a french press (already have an electric kettle for tea) and green beans to roast (no local roasters around that I know of, and none were listed on that site). Or would I not be able to notice any difference between that and buying a bag of folgers, grinding it at the store and brewing it in a 5 dollar hotel drip machine?

Edit: The caffeine isn't used to fuel all-night studying or anything. Just sometimes I get the urge to become a coffee drinker.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll start out with a cheap grinder (any suggestions for the cheapest I can get, to start, that'll be worth using? I'm ok with hand operated if need be. Also a french press to make it in because that way I get to keep more of the oils compared to the paper filters used with the clever coffee dripper. As for beans I'm going to probably order some online to start since none of the local popular shops seem to do their own roasting around here. Although this aeropress is catching my interest too. Anyone have any personal experience with one?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 20, 2011

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Cuttlefish Party posted:

As to beans, are there really no decent alternatives around Tampa? (See, e.g., here and here.) I have nothing against good mail-order beans, but if you're really on a budget, saving on shipping costs might be nice. It doesn't really matter whether your local cafe roasts their own--what matters is that they've found a reliable roaster to work with. If they can sell you beans from a good local roaster, that's absolutely fine (and I have noticed that many of the trendier cafes nowadays sell whole beans, even if they don't roast it themselves).

Woops need to update my info. I've moved away from the heaven of coffee availability that was Tampa to Tallahassee.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Roots Radical posted:

Weird customer situation at work today, haha. A guy comes in and asks for a decaf, which we make as a decaf Americano, so I start making it. He sees how much water is in the cup and says he doesn't want very much water, mostly espresso, as the shot's already pouring into it. He starts telling me to stop the shot, so I press the stop button, and then tells me to hand him his drink. He says this isn't what he wanted at all but he'll take it. I obviously offer to make him what he wanted, no problem at all, but he declines. I'm dumbfounded. He wasn't in a hurry or anything, as he was drinking it in the shop, but refused to let me make him what he originally wanted and sat and enjoyed his cup of hot water with half a shot of decaf. Which is the opposite of what he wanted, pretty sure.

I think I know the reason behind this. I have a friend who does similar things all the time at restaurants and bars with his food/drinks. It's that they are incredibly reluctant to speak up about things they aren't happy with due to shyness/lack of confidence/whatever. Then after they speak up once they run out of willingness to continue doing anything other than being a completely normal customer with no special wants or needs.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
For fakepresso what would you guys consider to be better/closer to the real thing? Aeropress or a Moka pot?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Had espresso finally at my favorite local coffee shop. They have all the right things, but it came out really bitter with almost no crema and much too bitter :smith:. What are the odds other places in town that make less-good drip coffee would have better espresso?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I would have asked about it just "This is a bit bitter" or something but it was a bit busy at the moment. I'd be surprised if it was old beans though since they roast their own. The lack of tamping might be a part of it since they have a grinder setup just for the espresso machine that grinds straight into the filter thing.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Grabbed this link out of the article above ^^^.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00018RRRK...XXG0BFCZMNCE43&

Any experience with it? That's about the ceiling of my budget for a grinder so it's between that and a hario manual.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

overdesigned posted:

Hey. Hey guys. Look at this thing. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxVYe-TE2eU

I don't know about you guys but I totally want this just for the juice/milk.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Hooray I got an aeropress for Christmas! No grinder though. Even with a blade grinder its a pretty big improvement over crappy drip coffee anyway. Been making iced drinks all morning for everyone.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Are there any coffee blends/ single origins available online that would be recommended to start being able to distinguish flavors beyond "kinda heavy" and "not bitter until the after taste hits"?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
New coffee shop is opening up here! They're apparently going to be serving Counter-Culture and Intelligentsia coffees made via pour-over 1 cup at a time. I got so excited I sent a copy of my resume over.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Has anyone tried Tonx before? The price seems agreeable and a free half pound is rather tempting.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

nm posted:

Oh it is big enough, but they seem to be pretty low quality these days. I have modded the poo poo out of my mini mill by now. It has an eccentric shaft (due to a poor build quality), which means no matter what I do the grind is very inconsistent. I've had to unmod it a bit, otherwise, the burrs would just rub against each other.
I don't really think the Mini Mill should be in the OP anymore. It may have been good one, but it is a POS now.

What would you suggest as a replacement near that price point then?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Could the same mod be used on a mini? Its cheaper and the size is more appropriate for my 2 cups at a time drinking habit.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Has anyone tried out this kettle for using with pour overs? http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV3825B-1-Liter-Electric-Kettle/dp/B005YR0GDA/ref=pd_sbs_k_1 it seems to have the same spout style that makes the buono so great, but you're not paying $50 for a non-electric, thin-sided kettle.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Jyrraeth posted:

When I worked at starbucks, the nickname for their "french roast" was "french gross". Which I felt was apt.

Though I had to say, after I started learning more about coffee, the training about smelling/tasting nuances helped me find them in good, well roasted coffee. They had these weird smelly bottles that isolated a lot of scents.

Starbucks offered training like that? Or was it elsewhere?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Jyrraeth posted:

I got the training through starbucks. I took the knowledge and went and learnt a bunch on my own. I don't really know how much was starbucks and how much was me.

It was part of getting your barista certification, and my manager actually got every one to go through it. When my friend worked at starbucks (same location, different manager) she didn't have to do the coffee passport thing at all, or the smelly bottles. She was also the type to avoid stuff like that. I did it mostly so I could go in the back and drink a cup of coffee and have it not be considered a break.

I might pick up a Starbucks job just long enough to pick up that training, it'd be neat just for further enjoying of great coffee.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Does anyone know much about chicory and chicory coffee? I've fallen in love with it, but I don't know what the best bet for ordering some to get here at home is.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I just had the praises of cafe bustelo made in a $30 Mr. Coffee espresso machine sung to me by 4 different people. Is there some potential that they've discovered some strange zen of cheap and good espresso?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Corla Plankun posted:

It could be that it actually produced an amazing cup, but it is far more likely that those four people were doing what polite people do whenever anyone makes them a drink of anything and you are just to spergy to understand how manners work.

I didn't make it, was just talking with a few random people at a mechanics shop while waiting on my car to be finished up. Apparently all four of them had separately discovered that same technique and were super excited that they weren't alone. I just stick to getting espresso at the handful of places around here that do it right.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
If I wanted to start roasting about a pound a week which would you guys suggest for a good cheap start? I'm thinking whirlypop or heat gun method.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Anyone know anything about the cusinart supreme automatic burr grinder? It seems to be an electric burr grinder with a handful (18) of grind settings for 60 bucks. Perfect for a chemex/aeropress?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Doh004 posted:

To move the subject off that tangent, am I the only one who sometimes gets a hankering for a sweet creamy "coffee"? That's how I started drinking coffee, and have since moved on to drinking it all black, but sometimes it'd be great to say gently caress it and drink a liquid dessert.

Add a shot of espresso to a pair of scoops of vanilla ice cream, fill with steamed milk until desired level of thickness is reached.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

porktree posted:

I usually give it at least 12 hours, but unless you're making espresso its not that critical. Giving it time will give you a better cup as its not conaminated by the degassing. (Espresso made with a young roast will ve horrific. You are basically making carbolic acid with the addition of pressure).

I would say that you should really learn the bean you are roasting and know when it reaches a balance of flavors that you enjoy best because between days 1-2-3-4-5 you can get some really incredible difference in flavors. Especially if you stick with lighter roasts.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Does anyone have any experience with trying to squeeze decent espresso out of a programmable super automatic espresso machine? Specifically the top of the line commercial machine from Egro. I'll link it later when I get on a real pc.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Anyone have a chance to try the Burundi Kayanza Kinyovu microlot batches floating around? I've been having brews and shots of the number 5 batch and am pretty much in love.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Mandalay posted:

Who is roasting these beans for you?

My personal favorite right now is the Ethiopia Sidamo I just polished off from Paper or Plastik Cafe in Los Angeles. Roasted darker than I usually prefer but this poo poo is so rich and almost buttery. So good.

Buddy Brew in Tampa. They started roasting it at a city+ but each batch has been lighter than the last and I think better for it. Still not a match for my still favorite Kenya kinyaga peaberry but I just loved how amazingly bright that was/is. They just ditched Ethiopia Sidamo for Queen City Harrar, not sure how I feel about that swap yet.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I've noticed the more I drink and the more I seek out new coffees to taste I've been gravitating more and more to the light roasts to the point that the darkest coffee I've had recently was some Columbia valle de cauca roasted between a city and a city+/full city. Anyone else have this tendency?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Sipping some city roasted Queen City Harar right now and as its hitting room temp its incredibly blueberry-y and sweet. Chemex + light roasted coffees = amazing by the way.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Pour over, aeropress then a chemex is the circuit I run beans/roasts I'm new to through. It's really great seeing what you can bring out of different beans. Overall chemex is probably my favorite still.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
To me the inverted aeropress technique is the ideal brewing method to maximize body/mouth feel while preserving the majority of the brighter notes in light roasted coffee that are very easy to lose in a press. Also it's a single serving.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Why are Siphon's such a big deal? They seem to lack the fine variable control you can have with any of a pretty big assortment of hand brewing techniques. It really just seems like you're paying for the novelty as well as the amount of setup/cleaning you're making them do.

VVVVV- Or another way I was going to put it was to say siphon coffee is really just a stupid masturbatory exercise for the customer.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 7, 2013

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Get some lighter roasted kenyan kinyovu pea berry it responds wonderfully to the 185-190 temperature range.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Metal filter inverted aeropress is basically the platonic ideal for creating a single serving of coffee with excellent body and achieving proper extraction.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

porktree posted:

Wait, where do I get the metal filter?

There are a few floating around but I was given one of the Able metal filters by my current favorite coffee shop when they switched to using the gold filter.

E: Here it is http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#disk-coffee-filter

Double edit: This is what I get for not hitting F5

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

kim jong-illin posted:

Kaffeologie is the other manufacturer of a metal filter for the Aeropress - http://kaffeologie.com/shop/s-filter-for-aeropress-coffee-makers - the holes are a lot finer than the Kone filter so you get a much richer and fuller bodied taste from it.

Their customer service is good: mine didn't arrive so I emailed them and they sent out a replacement by priority shipping with no charge on the same day as my email.

I'm not a fan of this one because it seems just a touch too flimsy for my clumsiness. If you really want a crazy amount of body in your aeropress look into an American Trade cloth filter.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I have a hard time calling my favorite cafe's staff hipster douchebags because they just seem really earnest about their hipster-ness. I prefer to say they are "selective".

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Sniff-SNIFF-slurp-chew-swallow. When you sip make sure you take a deep enough sip to get past the crema. Depending on the cup the shot is served in that might force you to down ~1/4th of it per sip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

le capitan posted:

Most coffee shops are going to have pretty average to low quality espresso shots. Just a heads up.

Also true. Maybe post your nearest large metro area so there is a chance you can get directed to somewhere good/decent.