Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Hello,
I'm semi-new to espresso and have been messing for a few years with a Sage dosecontrol grinder and had a ECM685 or whatever the famous Delonghi entry level one is. Managed to break it when my modded steam wand hose popped off and soaked the machine and I upgraded to a Lelit Victoria demo model from a local shop, to which I added a new Vibratory Pump pressure valve to get it to 10PSI as the old one was stuck thanks to limescale.
New machine is complete night and day and I'm finally able to make coffee taste delicious, now the grinder is holding me back with it's insane inconsistency but that's a future me problem.

My question is maintenance wise: I run the lelit filter and I use prefiltered water from my fridge as well to deal with limescale. According to manual this is fine. But I never got an blind basket and I've only cleaned the outside of the grouphead after every use.
Manual does not say anything about using a blind basket and backflushing. Is that something that needs to be done and is there any kind of detergent involved as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Bandire posted:

Yeah, get a blind basket and some Cafiza. The Victoria manual has backflush instructions on page 23. https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91AuJAm1rIS.pdf

Jan posted:

I do not have that particular model, but at a glance, the specs say it has a three-way valve, which is where you would want to backflush:

Ah thanks, mine also didn't come with a manual and the first manual I found must've been an incomplete one. I've ordered the blind filter.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

How's the DF54 looking? Seems like an insane deal considering it's competing with the Sage grinder at its price point.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

While recovering from a narcosis i managed to pre order sculptor 64s. Im pairing it with my lelit vicky and replacing my sage dosecontrol finally. I hope to also enter the world of brewing.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I bought some junk swedish beans that are such a dark roast they look like bakelite.
Americano tastes like rear end but lattes seem to get better the worse my bean is.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Milk masks all the good stuff as well.
Maybe I should get a dedicated garbage bean for milk duty. But my gf loves the good bean for her milk drink

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

What's a good rule of thumb for temperature? I haven't really played around eith it since my grinder is so inconsistent there's no way to get good data

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

That's simple to understand and follow. Will keep in mind and start tweaking it to see where it takes me

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I just pour my coffee out from the bag into a small container that holds 100g and freeze the rest in the original bag.
It keeps plenty fresh and I consume my bag in around 20 days.

Just get a vacuum packager if you're keeping your coffee so long it gets spoiled if seal is broken while frozen. That should provide you with a surefire seal.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

For grinder: sculptor stepless, eureka oro filet mignion uno dosu, df64(id wait for df54 cause its the same thing but cheaper) or niche. Pick the design you like the most.
For machine: gaggia with mods is perfectly fine. Even lelit line opens up for you after that.

Bear in mind you also are going to spend money on a bottomless portafilter, a wdt tool (thankfully that's like a fiver on amazon) a good tamper and some nice cups and coffee.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

amenenema posted:

For what it's worth I have been trying the shake vs WDT thing and can't tell a difference (coming out of a Niche). WDT may no longer be necessary if you have a way to shake after dosing into the portafilter. In my case the dosing funnel is tall enough to shake vigorously side to side and not spill anything.

I wdt in my dosing cup cause there I can vigurously whisk it rather than having to be ultra careful and slow with the portafilter wdt.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I've watched some Lance's stuff, and while his sculptor honest opinions video is decent as it is a 20 minute ramble to say : "no hyped product is ever worth the hype, it's just a grinder."
But his video titled "why your espresso sucks" is an hour or so of "look me 'n some redditors have deduced that all espresso machines extract 5% less from edge than they could so your espresso is sucks thanks to that. Since the thread about it went live on reddit yesterday so it's not implemented by the industry yet." Seems like he is a big pusher for turning the espresso hobby into some snake oil bs like audiophilia where everything goes, no matter the price. As long as it's not a blind test.

quote:

But when you dump that into the basket don't you get clumping from the stuff all falling unevenly into the basket? I would assume the mechanical action of dumping grounds from the dosing cup into the basket is more than significant enough to cause variations in density that wdc seeks to address?

At this level pushing grounds into one another with wdt in basket is enough to introduce the same issue. You will never get perfectly uniform grounds distribution. Vibrating them or grinding them onto a flat surface and sliding them into portafilter layer by layer would be more uniform by a few % but it's not worht it since end of the day we want the best coffee with least effort possible and whisking works good for me.

Vegetable posted:

The slow feed thing feels like a problem grinders should solve. Standing over your grinder and slow-pouring your beans is so goofy. Not to mention it keeps you closest to the noisy thing at a time you want to be farthest from it.
Isn't auger the solution to that?

haddedam fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 4, 2024

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder how much social media plays a role in that, some must be doing just for the upvotes, right?

I'm here with my lovely sage grinder happy when that turd manages to make two drinks in a row drinkable.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Jhet posted:

This is the same conversation that wine connoisseurs were having in the 1980s about California wines versus French. Turns out the vast majority of people won't be able to taste the difference, yes. There are big diminishing returns when it comes to controlling taste extraction, and even bigger diminishing returns about who can actually taste them. Going from a blade grinder to a $150 grinder is going to be an enormous difference maker that most people will taste. Going from $150 to $500 is going to smaller and $500 to $1000+ is going to be a very small portion. You'll get more out of upgrading other parts of the process or using better beans for your taste. The pricier it gets, and the more complicated the flavor profile, the more likely it's going to be you pull a crappy shot the first three times too, so ymmv.

But hey, if you want to put in that sort of effort, no one's stopping you except your accountant.

As a 140 eur grinder owner getting a 600 eur grinder i look forward to less than 3 grams of retention, grind setting not changing mid grinder and for the ringing in my ears to be alleviated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Got a timemore 64s as an upgrade for my sage dose control and the jump is as big as going from a blade grinder to the sage grinder.
My portafilter is too full at 19g since the grinder doesn't retain 3-5g. It is very also nice having more than 0 consistency between shots and not have to bang on the lid like a moron in order to get the grounds out. I think I am at my endgame with the grinder and lelit pl91t. Maybe a v60 to enjoy light roasts and delicate flavors