Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I work in a kitchen supply store. We sell Chemex, Aeropress, various french presses, mokapots, and Capresso automatic drips that seem to always break. Last night, I had a man ask for a unique coffee maker. I offered him the Aeropress, and told him one of the cons was the clean up. He scolded me and told me that "One should never clean any coffee maker! It builds a patina! Never tell your customers to clean theirs again!"

Is this a thing? I have heard of never washing tea mugs, but never cleaning your coffee maker?

I've heard that about moka pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

MoosetheMooche posted:

Can anyone chime in on how effective the Aeropress is? I read the OP but I'm still not sure if it's worth it. My brother's a big coffee fan and currently uses a french press. I'm wondering if there will be a significant increase in quality of his coffee (he already buys fresh roasted beans and has an expensive grinder).

I don't think it would be a significant increase in quality over a good cup of french press coffee, just different, though the Aeropress has easier cleanup IMO. If you're looking for a gift idea I think it's a good one since coffee geeks love new toys.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Can I use Chemex cone filters ( http://www.amazon.com/Chemex-Folded-Circle-Coffee-Filters/dp/B0000CF2WP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331322221&sr=8-3 ) with my Hario dripper ( http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VDC-02W-Dripper-Ceramic-Funnel/dp/B000P4D5HG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1331322323&sr=8-5 ) ?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

Presumably, but I'm not sure why you would want to do that.

because they look pretty similar and a store near me has them cheaper than the Hario filters are on Amazon. Is there a downside?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Casull posted:

I'm going to guess that a medical thermometer meant for checking to see if I have a fever can't really be used for measuring how hot my water is, right? If so, what's a good recommended thermometer and where would I buy it locally?

I doubt a medical thermometer would go high enough. If you want a really nice thermometer go with a Thermapen. Otherwise I imagine any cooking thermometer from a cooking store would be fine.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I loves me some Vietnamese iced coffee. Pretty simple to prepare: pitcher of cold coffee, sweet and condensed milk, ice, stir.

But how is the coffee made? It's very strong, I can't imagine that its just drip coffee.

Finely ground and drip brewed using one of these http://www.amazon.com/Importfood-Vi...nch+drip+filter

Thufir
May 19, 2004

So Math posted:

I'm trying to start roasting with a heat gun, but I'm stuck. I've got a Wagner HT1000 that toggles between 750F and 1000F. Last week I tried a small batch, but it took almost an hour for the coffee to darken, and there was no crack. It was terrible.

Thinking that heat retention was the issue, I just tried a larger batch with a smaller bowl. After 10 minutes on 750F there was no color change so I'm finishing the coffee in the oven instead.

I wonder if the outlet doesn't supply enough power to the gun. Any advice?

I've got the same gun and do a ~1/2 lb batch in 10-15 minutes. I'd try another outlet.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

See, I have an opposite problem: I never drink enough coffee to go through a whole bag in two weeks... I love brewing my own coffee, yes, but it also takes time, and when I'm out for most of the day in classes or grabbing lunch, I find that the only time I get to use my own beans is during lunchtime (about half the week) and in the late afternoon/dinner time. Two cups a day does not go through enough beans, especially since I drink these alone. I hate it when the beans start to go stale, but I don't want to throw out the beans either :(

Should I get a drip coffee machine instead and just carry a large carafe around? It'd be reasonably fresh and I'd go through more beans a day.

Start roasting your own and only roast as much as you use in a week.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I started out with an air popper but had mixed results and switched to heat gun, which has been way better.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I use the Bonmac. It has a single small hole in the bottom and it makes it really easy to use. The Kalita works fine too but I don't really want to buy new filters. The Bonmac uses the standard coffee filters sold everywhere.

As for your Hario problems, try grinding finer.

2nding this, I solved my Hario problems by making my grind a lot finer.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I also use that and like it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I don't generally get those tastes from coffee either, though I roasted some of SM's Ethiopia Grade 1 Dry-Process Aramo last weekend and holy wow is it fruity/floral.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

marmot25 posted:

This shuts off after 60 seconds, though. I'd prefer one that stays on longer while pouring in water, especially if I turn my back on it for a min to tend to some eggs or something in the morning. I'd also rather not deal with my iPhone while trying to make coffee, but you're right I could just get a digital timer that lives next to my coffee setup. I already have a basic scale.

\/\/
I was just going on what the Amazon comments said.

I have that one too and haven't had trouble with it shutting off too quickly. Definitely more than 60 seconds.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Google Butt posted:

There's a reason for that. The heat gun is also $20 AND allows you to roast a half pound+ at a time. I wish I didn't even spend money on the popcorn popper, to be honest.

Same, the heat gun has worked much better and also sounds cooler when I describe the process to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm going to be on the road soon (US, east coast) and I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on gas stations. Are there any particular places that are known for serving unusually good coffee?

This doesn't give me much hope: http://gasstationcoffee.tumblr.com/

IMO Wawa, Pilot, and Sheetz (in that order) have pretty decent coffee. As in, decent for gas station coffee.

e: And they are pretty consistent from store to store, which is nice.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 13, 2013