Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hello coffee thread. we have a bunch of whole beans that were gifted us, and I've been wanting to get a domestic grinder for a bit now. I'm torn between the wilfa uniform and the fellow ode. I know james hoffman strongly advices the wilfa over the ode due to different reasons, but I know I'm not really experienced enough to notice or taste any differences there might be. the price difference isn't really an issue to us, and we live in norway where both are equally available

I do vastly prefer the aesthetic of the ode plus its smaller footprint over the wilfa, and something tells me I should probably take his strong preference for wilfa with a grain of salt since his business is in cooperation with them?

as a complete novice (last time I used a grinder it was like 12 years ago, with one of those very lovely bladed ones) which would you recommend? I'm planning on using it with a v60, aeropress and french press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I can’t be arsed to wait as long as 8 minutes, but even just skimming off the foam is enough to improve the cup

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just made coffee with hoffmann's aeropress technique, and boy is it up there with just turning on a drip brewer for how unbelievably easy it was to make a good cup :staredog:

e: and this was pre-ground supermarket stuff, too. can't wait to see what a future grinder and proper beans would add

ulvir fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 26, 2021

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

nwin posted:

Is that the one where it's not the inverted method, 11g of water to 200g coffee, put the plunger in wait 2 minutes, swish around, wait 30 seconds, plunge?

yes

I did weigh the grounds, but since I so far only have a tiny 100g max weight for tea, I just eyeballed the water. otherwise the same

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

even though I was more pulled towards Fellow ode, I ended up landing on the Wilfa uniform. looking around on various coffee sites and forums there seemed to be a worryingly amount of common problems with the Ode that went beyond just “didn’t grind fine enough”, so I was very hesitant to justify spending ≈100€ more just for aesthetics :sigh:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

today I learned how one can taste that the grind wasn’t fine enough, yesterday’s cup had a lot of subtle character and some sweet and acidic notes to it that it lacked today, and the only real difference between the brews were grind setting. I dialed a bit back on purpose today to see if I went too far or not, but I seemed to nail the grind the first time around, and literally the first time grinding :smugdog:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hoffmann has a big chunk of the “beginners guide to buying coffee” video dedicated to taste notes on the bags, and apparently they aren’t really meant literal rather than symbolic, so so and so fruit/berry will signify a level of sweetness, acidity, fermentedness and so on, and not directly the taste of apple, blueberries or mango, though those tastes can be present in there too sometimes

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it’s super weird coming from tea, because there the taste notes are absolutely present in the cup, if a tea is described on the site as having a taste of honey or grass, it will taste like that without question and is meant 100% descriptive rather than symbolic in the strange way coffee shops does it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

eke out posted:

yeah imo an annoying thing about tasting notes is the conflation of "this tastes objectively like _____" and "this reminds me of ____, kinda, if you squint"

the only instances I would ever use “objectively” wrt taste in drinks is in instances where beer/gin has been infused/distilled with, say raspberries, and that taste is definitely present. otherwise I only think of taste notes as an approximation, even in the chardonnay example. “what other thing do I recognise that had a taste that was similar to this?”

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I love JH's aeropress method, but I want to add 30g extra water to get the cup just that closer to full, at the same time I also want to mantain the ratio from 11g to 200g. would you round up to 2g extra for the beans, or get as close to 1,8333...g as possible? (that's what 5,5/3 gets you)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

getting this to a new page

ulvir posted:

I love JH's aeropress method, but I want to add 30g extra water to get the cup just that closer to full, at the same time I also want to mantain the ratio from 11g to 200g. would you round up to 2g extra for the beans, or get as close to 1,8333...g as possible? (that's what 5,5/3 gets you)

in short, for 30g extra water, do I add a whole 2g extra grounds or closer to 1,83g extra if I want to maintain the same ratio from 11g to 200g? how tight are the margins for these kind of things?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 31, 2021

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

so in other words, save myself the headache and just aim for 13g?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the self-confidence I gained from nailing the aeropress and grind from 1st try was swiftly broken down when I tried doing a v60. the first grind was so fine the bed looked like mud and the drawdown was complete between 8 and 9 minutes. the second attempt was slightly better with 4:30 brew time, but it still tasted like a typical mediocre cup of coffee. going into this I thought my biggest challenge would be doing the swirls without making a mess, but turns out it's 1) dialing in properly and 2) learning how to pour properly.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Gunder posted:

Try watching this video. It's using a Kalita Wave, but it'll work fine with a V60 as well. It's a pretty simple technique but results in a great cup. Pay particular attention to the section that talks about pouring height. That can make a big difference.

the point about the height seems relevant. since I only have a regular electric kettle, it's probably going to take a few tries to find the right balance for blooming and the first pour, where I agitate the bed just enough but not too hard.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

todays v60 finished at 4:10, 40 seconds over Hoffmann’s endpoint, but it tastes a bit sour this time. I think I am at the point with the grind size where this is 100% about me having to learn how to pour still. the bloom was perfect this time, so now I need to focus more on finding the balance between too aggressive and too careful in the next phase

my wife enjoyed her cup though, so at least I didn’t brew something undrinkable

ulvir fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 2, 2022

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The pouring doesn't require much technique. If you watch the scott rao video he's barely even paying attention. Just grind coarser because 4:10 is too long for one cup with the v60. Is the brew coming out in a steady stream or is it dripping?

it’s a two-cup, 500g/ml of water and 30g of coffee. the water is coming down out of the brew pretty steadily and there’s no real clogging

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mrenda posted:

I can understand the desire to control all the controllable variables to get the cup of coffee to the best place possible but a lot of this stuff seems very minor compared to the biggest variable, i.e. the person tasting the coffee.

I feel like the other person will also enjoy it more the better it tastes, and the more I can control (or get the illusion of controlling) the minute variables the better the coffee has tasted.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

fourth try with v60, this time with darker beans since our light roast is almost out, and I actually managed to make something with it that my wife even called good not just “okay”, seems like a good progress.

how much does it matter that there was a thin rim of grounds (actual grounds, not just the fines) stuck around the top of the filter when it was all done? the coffee bed itself was flat and the drawdown was even around 3:30 for two cups this time

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

not to spam this thread with "my coffee journal", but I have finally hit the point with the v60 where the process of brewing two cups is a calming little ritual, just like making tea or coffee with the aeropress, and I feel like that is a huge step. I consistently get nice tasting cups from it, and I've stopped fretting over minute little details as much. :coffeepal:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

having finished a bag of light roasted coffee and a bag of medium roasted coffee, I honestly don’t understand why the darker stuff exists for brewer coffee. the light roasted stuff is objectively better in every way, and I’m never buying anything else from here on out

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jhet posted:

Because taste, experience, and preference is subjective, not objective. Your preference is for light roast is awesome, and there’s a lot of awesome for you to explore. But it’s not for everyone and that’s okay too.

well, yes, I’m aware that tastes, wants and needs vary from person to person. I used “objectively” as a tongue-in-cheek, and it was an attempt at humour through hyperbole to say “I really prefer light roasts, these are the bee’s knees” :)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jhet posted:

Enjoy your coffee is all I care about.

on this we agree completely

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just to ask a potentially stupid question: it’s only roast level that has anything to say wrt brew temperature, right? I can treat all light roasts the same regardless if the process is washed or natural?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ty all

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

today was the first time I brewed with really fresh coffee, like roasted last week fresh (our previous bags of beans were gifted to us sometime after august and we finally got a grinder etc this christmas), and it was really interesting to see how different everything (supposedly) behaved in the cone even after blooming. it felt like the brew was much more voluminous in there and I was more worried about overfilling it than I was even with the last light roast

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Brut posted:

Would Hoffmann investigate the type of metal being used to address the concerns above(on the last page)? I haven't heard him talk about that kind of stuff but I've only watched some of his videos.

sounds like Hoffmann and the wired gourmet needs to do a collaboration

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

quick question, if one is to do that little wet spoon handle trick to reduce static, is it okay to do that in the same bin you catch the grinds in, or should one use another container to weigh the beans in?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Gunder posted:

Definitely don’t do it in the same container. Your grounds catch bin should be as dry as possible.

that’s what I suspected, thanks

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I think I’ll stick to aeropress and V60. this seems way too fussy and temperamental to my liking

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Deathlove posted:

go outside the box. bripe.

:hmmyes:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

when I told myself that I would wait until my old kettle died before getting a gooseneck kettle, I was thinking more long term, like a few years, but here we are and now there's a Hario with temperature control on the way :homebrew:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

after getting a gooseneck kettle I started brewing a few single cup brews with the v60 in addition to the two cups in the weekends, just to get the hang of using a pouring kettle, and I believe I can safely say that, purely from the flavour in the cup, an aeropress is superior for single cup brews. it’s just way more consistent both in taste and as a process.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

today I learned the impact of different filter papers. I just used the papers that was packed with the v60 drip decanter from factory, and after those ran out I had to buy new ones. I ended up with the tabbed (?) japanese papers from Hario that comes in a bag of 100, and even though I used the exact same grind setting and procedure for a single cup 18g/300g brew as with the old filters, the coffee today tastes slightly under extracted. I think I saw that the drawdown went a bit quicker as well. not that I'm complaining, because that means I can finally grind a bit finer for the v60, and I also have an excuse to whip up a second cup for the day later on

ulvir fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 14, 2022

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

made a frankencoffee with three bags of leftover beans of varying age, and it was surprisingly non-terrible

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

e: wrong thread

ulvir fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 24, 2022

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a couple of times this summer I've bought some beans from places I haven't tried before, and the beans ends up... idk how else to put it, shedding skin (like dark grey/brown pieces) when I throw then in the hopper, and it seems moreso than from shops I know are very well renowned. is this an indication of poorer quality roast, or just something that can happen regardless with a batch now and again? (the beans did not have the same origin in these two instances)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I've been using the scale that came with the wilfa uniform, but I'm getting a bit sick of having to use my phone at the same time just to have a timer, so I'm in the market for a new scale now.

the scale itself is really responsive and accurate to 0,1g all the way through, and I don't really want to lose that, so it could seem like the hario scale is out of the picture from that perspective. I've read that it is somewhat laggy, and has some stupid tiered system for their accuracy.

which would you guys recommend? my requirements is that it has to be big enough that I can see the time and weight while brewing in a decanter and the display has to be bright. it also has to be responsive with great accuracy. I only use it for filter brews so all I really need from features is a manual timer and manual taring. budget wise, I'd say the acaia lunar is about the maximum of what I would be willing to fork out

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

due to availability etc. (not wanting to bother with international shipping and so on), I ended up landing on the newer acaia pearl in the end. should be here next week or so. I did try to look for the black mirror, that had a nice design as well, but it is what it is. acaia lunar was just too small for a v60 decanter it seemed

ulvir fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 10, 2022

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I can’t imagine being able to keep it consistent with a timed grinder. won’t there be a big variance between how much you can grind through a very dense vs brittle variety? how would you dial in the perfect time without using a scale, in which case, you have a scale at hand, so why not use that to dose it every time. something that is actually accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the acaia scale arrived today. it has an annoying beep though, so I need to figure out how to turn that off. otherwise a nice size, very responsive, and the display is easy to see even with a decanter on it