Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Gunder posted:

I used to recommend the roast specific ones that Cafec produced, but they changed the recipe on those a while back, and they turned to poo poo. I just use the standard Hario v60 filters now, specifically the boxed ones made in the factory in Japan.

I don't think those boxed Japanese ones exist anymore. Or at least when you buy them now, you get a tabbed filter.

I ordered 300 of these Cafec filters directly from their storefront.

I originally was going to try one pack, but the shipping was kind of expensive and each time I clicked "checkout" it offered me another pack of 100 at a discounted price.

https://cafecusa.com/collections/frontpage/products/cafec-abaca-coffee-paper-filter-for-specialty-coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

VelociBacon posted:

So are the ones from Cafec you ordered actually good or do they have the problem that Gunder mentioned?

I usually order from 8ounce, this is their filters page. Looks like they don't carry much besides the Hario papers.

e: looks like Rogue has these actually. Any good?

I'm not sure what trouble Gunder was having, but I didn't like the flow rate in the updated tabbed filter, and the Cafec filters I linked behaved like the Japanese v60 tablets filters I was familiar with.

A user in this thread mentioned that they didn't like those other specialized filters like the "light roast" filter you shared. I think they said the flow rate was very slow.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

SlinkyMink posted:

This thing reminds me of the tea brewer I have from years ago before Teavana closed down. Now it's got me wondering if the clever could pull double duty as a tea infuser as well. I imagine the paper filters could gently caress up the delicate flavors unless it's really carefully pre wet, though.

No idea about the paper filter but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I tried brewing whole leaf sencha in my aeropress one time and it made the most horrid, astringent brew I've ever had.

I don't know if the steep time was too long or if the act of plunging the tea through the filter substantially increased extraction, or what but it was baaaad.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

bizwank posted:

I use red loctite on everything that I can't trust a gasket to keep sealed. Make sure you give it a little time to set before getting it wet/hot.

Keep in mind that to loosen red loctite you need to heat up the connection with a torch...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Gunder posted:

Those are the same burrs I have in my P64. If you haven't tried it already, I highly recommend the Extractamundo Dos! profile. It's basically designed for fast extracting burrs like ours and produces really beautiful shots. Just make sure you read the description for instructions on how to dial it.

What is this "profile" and is it something I can do on my Cafelat Robot?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I had some super dark roast that I managed to pull an amazing shot on exactly once. Still don't know what I did that time. I think I had to grind pretty coarsely, high pressure pull (9 bar in the robot gauge), and I don't recall the dose. Maybe 18-20g, and I pulled maybe a 40-50g shot.

It was downright sweet. A very strange experience since all other times the dark roast tasted terrible to me. Milk drinks mask a lot of bad stuff.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

When I have a surprise it's normally temperature related, since I don't always measure that one and it can make a big difference for very sensitive beans

Oh good point. I think I dropped the temp on my kettle down to 85° C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Hedrick is an especially uptight, pseudo-scientific little poo poo but I think most coffee YouTubers struggle to grapple with the unsustainability of coffee. Even Hoffmann’s videos are like “Coffee is pretty bad for the environment; here are some things you can do [to make it negligibly better].”

Cannot stand the guy and this is ammunition for me to continue to not watching his videos. Thanks, OP