Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'm not familiar with those Teavana flavors, are they fruit tisanes (no actual tea)? If that's what you're looking for lots of gourmet tea providers should have them. Adagio does, at least. From reading the thread I guess this makes me a lame tea drinker, but I really enjoy my Adagio teas :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mmm. I finally made the jump to Upton after ordering from Adagio for forever. Got a bunch of samplers to test out their teas. I'm going through their winter tea sampler and I love the spiced teas. The cranberry flavored stuff smells like cough syrup though, ick.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Does it need to be glass? Mug/infuser sets have gotten really popular in the last few years. I got this one for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/Made-Order-Essential-Infuser-Blue/dp/B002CIIFV4/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325820540&sr=1-2 and it works fine, except 1) I burned the gently caress out of my hand not paying attention to the max fill line and 2) the infuser basket is a little smaller than I'd like. There are many, many variations on the theme though - check the related products on the Amazon link.

Don't get a tea ball. :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I think you'd have the happiest time at Adagio. They have a very nice herbal tisane section as well as regular tea. I made the same transition and I found that I eventually developed a taste for unsweetened tea. Just try a sampler that appeals to you.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I know I just made this recommendation myself, but has anyone tried the herbal tisanes from Adagio? I have their peppermint tea and it is great. I'm a little interested in their fruity blends. I get home late on weekdays and caffeine really fucks up my sleep, so I don't get to enjoy tea as much as I'd like. :(

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If it's gotten wet, it can go bad. Otherwise it will just lose flavor. However, if it's only a year old, it might be okay (depending on how you stored it). Why don't you just try some?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That's a good drat question. I'd also like to know why their rooibos tastes like utter death.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I ordered some tisanes from Adagio to help with weeknight tea cravings. Caffeine really messes with my sleep schedule so my regular teas are now banished to weekends. :(

I grabbed the rooibos vanilla chai because I really like spiced teas, and I also got the honeybush sampler because I'd never had any. I'm trying my first cup now, and I see why it got the honeybush name. There is a lot of honey in the aftertaste and the "mouthfeel," if that makes sense. The brew itself is pretty mild and very sweet tasting. I put no sugar in it and it sure does taste like I put sugar in it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Do it do it do it. I've paid more per hour for private music lessons in which I certainly did not receive extremely rare and delicious tea.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I have always made iced tea by hot brewing the amount of tea I want in half the water. Then add cold water after brewing to make it an appropriate amount (alternately, add ice). I believe it is the instructions Adagio teas recommend. It's always worked pretty well for me.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I adore Adagio's raspberry tea iced. I also like peppermint.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It sounds like you are leaving the tea to steep for too long. Most black teas are supposed to be steeped for about 3 minutes. If you'd like a stronger cup, add more tea. Most places say one teaspoon per cup, but for my mug that's about 1.75 cups I use 3 teaspoons, at least. :o:

edit: If you steep black teas twice the second cup is going to be all bitter like you don't like.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The Adagio ones are pretty but I got the free red white and blue ones from their 4th of July promotion and the colored ones seem to be way shoddier. I don't think the lid on my blue one is airtight. :(

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, that's not true, especially for white tea, which actually has a ton of caffeine in it compared to other leaves. See http://ratetea.com/topic/caffeine-content-of-tea/21/

I also can't tolerate a lot of caffeine, especially in the evenings. I make do with lots and lots of herbal tea, and one decaffeinated earl grey tea from Adagio that is definitely inferior, but I'll take it. :(

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, that's never happened to me with Adagio. They're always really fast.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I think my favorite caffeine-free tea is the rooibos vanilla chai from Adagio. I'm not a huge fan of the taste of rooibos (it's okay, but eh), and the spices really help it out.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

What kind of water are you using? You might consider using distilled water. Also, their tasting notes could be bullshit. Although it does sound more like the taste of your water is overpowering the taste of the tea.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I didn't know that, thanks!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I just bought a bunch of teas from Upton, same problem you had. I ended up purchasing the oolong sampler. I have had some of their other sampler sets, and 90% of the time been really pleased. The other 10% was getting the holiday sampler and literally just throwing away the cranberry tea because it was so gross. The other three in that set were just what I wanted, though. Actually, if you are looking for a new version of chai to try, that's basically what the holiday sampler teas are.

I hear the extra bergamot Earl Grey is their best, although I didn't order it this time. And as far as black teas go, that's such an enormous category on their site I have no idea where to start myself.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tea bags are way more expensive in the long run (just look at the math on the teas you're thinking of - over 2x more expensive than an equivalent amount of loose tea). Then again, if you don't know if you'll drink tea all the time, I suppose it would cost more to buy loose tea and an infuser and then lose interest. Either way, I like both those teas from Adagio. The Earl Grey is VERY strongly bergamot flavored if I recall correctly, for me that means it's good but it's strong enough that it might turn some people off. The Irish Breakfast is kind of one-note to me, and demands milk, but is certainly drinkable.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

So I'm on vacation in Boulder, CO and they have this super cool tea house. My husband is really into puerh and he ordered a (cooked?) puerh that had been fermented in a mandarin orange peel. Anyone know a good place online to buy that kind of puerh? Additionally, any recommendations for similar teas? He liked it because it was still nice and smoky and fermented, but had some bright citrusy flavors and a little more acidity.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Love Stole the Day posted:

Warning, stupid questions incoming: So let me get this straight: if I leave the tea bag in there for more than 3~5 minutes then I'm loving it up? If I take the tea bag out, do I just toss it in the bin or something? Is there a special tea bag holder appliance that I don't know about?

1) Yes, it gets all bitter and doesn't taste right (or really at all). But if you're using super cheap tea, it might not make much difference anyway. 2) Yeah there are tea bag holders like https://www.amazon.com/Creuset-Stoneware-Tea-Holder-Marseille/dp/B00B4W48KG or one of my loose leaf strainers came with a little saucer for it. Not that you really need to spend $10 for a plate to put tea bags on IMO.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If you miss the black tea flavor (I do), try something that's flavored like Earl Grey or masala chai. Plain decaf black tea is meh.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Y'all reminded me that I wanted to try adding this chai blend to the decaf chai I already have to make super duper chai, so thanks.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Heath posted:

What are you looking for? Size, material, style?

yeah this is pretty individual and a general rec for a teapot isn't always going to work. That said, here's the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZSA84J/

I like glass teapots, and the spout on that one pours very well. It's pretty large though, so I would get smaller unless you're like me and mostly make tea to put in a giant mug/thermos and sip over the course of a day. Or multiple people in your household like tea I suppose.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hrmm. I mostly order from Upton and I feel like their prices are ok, but they're definitely not big on whites and greens

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Aww, that’s amazing. What a cool present

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My filter is all metal so usually I rinse it out daily and then once a month toss it in the dishwasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

ulvir posted:

if you want caffeine free actual tea, even according to pedants, then I strongly recommend hojicha, which is roasted sencha (I think it came to be as a way to use leftovers when they got stale or tasteless). the process significantly reduces the caffeine levels and tastes really delish

my local boba place does hojicha and it is a lifesaver. someday I'll be able to tolerate caffeine again...