Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Turds in magma posted:

Is there a glassware thread? Strong opinions here? Zwiesel? Riedel? Spiegelau? Is there some secret value brand that's better for less?

There is indeed a secret value brand for hand blown glasses called Grassl. I've been pretty happy with mine (I have the Liberte and the Cru). For a value play you could look at their "tasting" glasses, which are $120 for 6 I believe (cjfselections.com; I'm not affiliated)

I do like Gabriel Glas Golds for the extreme lightness - it's a magical feeling - but they're expensive. These days I find myself using my Grassl Libertes instead of my GGGs, and they are very similar in shape

Zaltos are also good but I don't own any; people I know swear by the Zalto Bordeaux as a general purpose glass

Riedel is IMO overly expensive for what you get

Zwiesel is a good value play

Also you could check out Lehmann, which is pretty popular in Europe, and then Jancis Robinson has launched her own line of glasses that I've never tried but are supposed to be very good (skurnikhospitality.com; I'm not affiliated)

e: I've never tried Spiegelau

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Penguinone posted:

Anyone have any opinions on Bordeaux futures this year? The prices I’m seeing are super low compared to both current retail and historical futures pricing. Thinking about picking up a few bottles, Palmer in particular is looking like it’s priced pretty attractively.

Agreed on Palmer, I also have been tempted by Lynch Bages

Then I think of all the time I have to wait (I like them really old), and it makes me go back to my auction sites...

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ola posted:

But it's not supposed to look like that is it. Thankfully returnable.
:stonk:

I've had 40-year old Sauternes that was less brown

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Stringent posted:

Reposting this from the Roman history thread, I thought it was an interesting watch.
https://youtu.be/qhN-o2ame-4

Thank you for this. Fascinating and horrifying, especially as someone who loves sweet riesling

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

taco show posted:

Pyf syrahs/Shiraz

Domaine Lionnet Cornas Terre Brulee

Strikes a nice balance: recognizably Cornas (iron, pepper, stern tannins) without being overly rustic, sweet dark fruit without being overly glossy or modern. Under $50 a bottle. One of the most promising N Rhone upstarts in my view

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Louis Michel chablis is amazing and I regret it's taken me this long to discover this

Crimson posted:

Also as someone who has taken the MS a few times (unfortunately) and have plans to sit next year, I'm very much watching how this all plays out. I think the leadership at the CMS has failed to acknowledge for a long time that their current structure seems to produce a bunch of straight white men as master sommeliers. Trying to pretend there is no bias in your hierarchy doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I trust that if Richard Betts is that disgusted with more insider knowledge than I have access to that there really are many problems with the internal workings of the court. I also very much agree with him that their handling of the cheating scandal was a catastrophe.
Is it true that you have to be friends with them in order to be even considered for the exam? Not just professional acquaintances but actually chummy?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Penguinone posted:

Anyone know of any other good internet communities for wine? Future on this forum seems… iffy.

There are at least 2 others on here apart from me who are on wineberserkers. They require you to use your real name though

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm on r/wine on reddit pretty often but it's not the best, posts really vary. Wine Beserkers I am an inactive member of. Beserkers seems a bit older and spendier, people posting a lot of high end wine.

"A bit" is quite an understatement lol

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Loucks posted:

Are there any places that ship wine in a temperature controlled way? I’ve been ordering from wine.com, but this last shipment sat in a FedEx truck in hot weather all day, and now my thermometer is showing 81F, which makes me worry about damage to the couple of stupidly expensive bottles I lucked into a while ago being damaged. Wine.com just tossed a child’s lunch box-sized cold pack into the cardboard boxes for each case and called it good.

Benchmark Wine and its sister company Brentwood Auctions do use Fedex Cold Chain, which works pretty well. If you're west coast I've found Golden State Overnight to be fast and reliable - overnight will generally be fine regardless of the weather

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Drinking Chapoutier is its own punishment. I had the 1991 Chapoutier La Mordoree once and it showed like a recent Paso Robles syrah. Never again.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ola posted:

Haha the 2008 Côte Rôtie is also available, at twice the price. I don't have quite your skepticism but perhaps I should save my money nonetheless.

Well you can get Jamet or Benetiere Cordeloux for the same-ish price no? That should beat the crap out of Chapoutier

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Hell, even Guigal ampuis I'd take over the Chapoutier

e: also Xavier Gerard, both the regular and the Landonne

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 25, 2020

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

taco show posted:

hoooo boy: https://twitter.com/nytfood/status/1321870982383050752

I mean I knew it was bad but I didn't know it was THIS bad (I stopped before advanced). What a year for the CMS. Should they just burn it all to the ground? How do you even reform the court?
The idea of a small, elite, esoteric group of sommeliers being gatekeepers to wine is archaic and ridiculous. I do think there’s merit to wine education and instructing people in the finer points of service, but we ought to be able to have this without the baggage. It’ll be hard to look at anyone who wears the red/green pin without thinking of this article...

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
People have been going absolutely gaga for Falkenstein. I tried their 2019 Krettnacher Euchariusberg Kabinett and thought it was decently good, maybe a tad dilute. Maybe it needed more air. Will have to try another at some point

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Furious Lobster posted:

Do you know which barrel number you were tasting? They do make a large difference since the bases are all the same before they go into different barrels, which are then sent to different regions.

Did not note the AP number, sadly. Was deep in my cups that evening (1990 Vougeot from a relatively unknown producer) and forgot to take pictures. Interesting to hear that there is some variation from barrel to barrel

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Bape Culture posted:

I’d always pick taittinger personally

I am a big Taittinger fan too but would, at this price point, suggest Pol Roger Reserve (white foil). It is available everywhere

Also seconding Pierre Peters if you can find it

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 7, 2020

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

taco show posted:

I’m also on the hunt for 100% Pinot Meunier just cause I want to know if it’s noticeably different. I think egly makes one but I haven’t found it while casually shopping.
You have to try Mousse Fils, particularly their Special Club Fortes Terres. It's oddly great with spicy food

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Professor Shark posted:

Also, my partner really wants to try some Dom. Is it actually good, of is the price tag all marketing?
Dom is really good. They have managed to maintain quality over the years despite their insane production levels (millions of bottles per year) and the most recent releases (2008, 2009) are excellent. They're also better value these days than a lot of other prestige cuvees (Krug, Cristal, etc). Finally if you can source bottles in *great* condition from the '60s '70s and '80s they can be magical - the winemaking then is/was legendary

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I wonder if the more expensive Dom Perignin SKUs are proportionately better.
I can't afford the P2s and 3s but people I know prefer original disgorgements. Of course that's if and only if you can source them in great condition

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Thanks for this, it's super instructive. I like Oregon Pinot Gris as a casual wine, whereas I've always struggled to appreciate Huet (and have written off Chenin as a whole)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

taco show posted:

Guys the Trader Joe's $15 chablis is LEGIT good for the price point - jean marc brocard - and it will get you schlittered (14.5%)
Loving chablis these days. With the recent string of ripe vintages it's been easy to find stuff that non-wine geek friends and family will like. Fevre and Louis Michel have been go tos. Anyone have other producer recs

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

LionYeti posted:

So I've figured out I really like Barbera D'Asti, what are some good lowish tanin moderate acid wines in the like 15-30 range?

The difference between d'Asti and d'Alba is said to be lighter vs darker fruit and elegance vs scale. I find the differences only discernible if you've got them side by side. As said, Barbera is omnipresent in Piedmont and just about all producers there will have a Barbera bottling of some sort, though you may not see them Stateside. My suggestion is to taste broadly and not worry about d'Asti vs d'Alba as long as it comes from Piedmont. Finally Dolcetto will be even lower acid with even darker fruit and is worth exploring if that's what you're into; personally I prefer Barbera

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Blue Labrador posted:

My first instinct is something creamy and maybe a little sharp, like maybe pasta with a creamy white sauce, or a platter with a block of strong blue cheese, but I don't exactly know why I think that. How or where do people go about learning and expanding their culinary vocabulary? Are there any go-to books people can recommend? I'd like to further my ability to taste and pair meals through the means of language.
Almost everyone overthinks the hell out of this. Much conventional wisdom is rooted in something real (e.g. fish needs white wines), but should never be treated as more than a decent starting point. Counterintuitive pairings I have very much enjoyed: rich fish like turbot with high acid low tannin reds, dessert wines with hors d'oeuvres, Sauternes (not Barsac) with lobster, white wines (esp richer white Burgundies) with just about anything up to and including highly elaborate tasting menus. There is nothing more specific I can say other than: try as many things as possible and please take good notes and share them here. Thanks!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Comb Your Beard posted:

I know premox on White Burgundy is a thing, but I've been running into premox on Loire Chenin and it's bumming me out. First I got burned on a bunch of cheaper older Savennières from Winebid, 2 different domaines. Recently had Marie Thibault Chenin Blanc 'Premier Nez' 2018, very natty, tasted halfway to premox being only a 2018, very one dimensional bruised apple dominated. Was expecting a stellar experience, her gamay was very memorable. I should have saved the bottle and got store credit but alas.

Is this a thing?
Very late reply but anecdotally I've heard complaints about Clos Rougeard Breze being premoxed. We can point to premox because there's great variability across bottles from the same vintage - some bottles are undrinkable apple cider while others are pristine

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Crimson posted:

For steely, mineral chablis, pick up regular AOC Chablis.
Louis Michel 1er crus all the way, for not much more than Kirkland!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

taco show posted:

Also not a terrible price on the Cos
Hearsay, but from people I trust, has it that Cos has gotten a little anonymous. Which is a pity because the 1996 was my original Bordeaux epiphany. These days my (minimal) Bordeaux buying is mostly Pichon Lalande and Lynch Bages

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

taco show posted:

And then break the budget with:
- Paillard Blanc de Noirs (Bouzy, the best name for any wine region)
- Bouchard roses de Jeane (Aube)

I know Selosse has a 100% PN champagne but it's like $$$$$$ so I've never had it...
Cedric Bouchard's stuff is wonderful! If you're looking for Champagne specifically made from PN I also recommend Paul Bara's Special Club (there's both a BdN and a Rose). It's less allocated and hence should be cheaper than Bouchard

Selosse has three Pinot Noir-only cuvees - La Cote Faron, Le Bout du Clos, and Sous Le Mont. The rest of the production is either BdB (Substance, Initial, the other three lieux-dits) or mixed (the millesime). I find Sous le Mont underwhelming, Le Bout du Clos more impressive than enjoyable, and La Cote Faron perfumed, perfect, and worth visiting again and again. Yes it's big $ but for me Selosse hits the very highest highs, and I crave it like once a year

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ola posted:

you have to find them through Google by searching like:
Chateau palmer 2006 site:klwines.com

I do the same with Wineberserkers so I don't have to deal with their lovely forums search. I personally dislike Vivino for anything non-mainstream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

anakha posted:

I fully understand this now. Had a bottle of 2017 Belle Glos last month and 2017 Boen Pinot a few months prior and I was surprised at how low I rated them compared to their scores on Vivino. I guess a lot of people like their Pinot Noir to taste like cheaper GSM blends.

Agree it's so hard to beat $15-20 Cotes du Rhone for simple drinkability