Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Crimson posted:

Do not shoot Scotch.

Incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Funny that everyone hates Rosemount even though it's the same company as Penfolds and Wolf Blass and people can't seem to get enough of them. The grapes usually come from the same vineyards and most of them go to the same winery in the Barossa. Rosemount isn't even the bottom tier, I think a Wolf Blass label has that honour.

I worked for a company that bottled Temple Bruer wines and it was a loving pain the rear end to get the lines cleaned the way he wanted with no chemical sanitisers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Haha I hadn't thought of that, with the number of lizards and locusts and other sundry bugs we found dejuiced in the skins after pressing no wine is truly vegan friendly unless it's hand picked.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I wondered the same thing last year when thousands of crickets were getting into each tank. Obviously they were big tanks so a kilo of cricket isn't really noticeable but it wasn't a good look. I imagine if you freeze one solid with dry ice then crush it up in a mortar and pestle you could run it through the same YAN analysis as the must.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Stitecin posted:

That's a great idea. The next question would be how the nitrogen becomes available relative to alcohol content. I'm also curious about effects on protein stability.

I've always thought the hard part of any real world trials would be getting a sans insectes control.
This would take care of the bugs I'd imagine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL4Fz8qNtzs&t=71s

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A company I worked for wanted to get one, the trials my friend did at Adelaide uni showed it worked amazingly well at reducing the green flavours from cab sav by removing leaves, bits of stalk and unripe berries. The trouble was the accountants realised it would mean paying their growers more because the wine was a higher grade and hosed if they were going to spend $15k on a sorting table if it meant paying growers who invested nothing in the scheme 50% more or something. Basically, gently caress accountants.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You still get that in the ripe grapes, they were looking to get rid of some of that intense, tomato leaf and capsicum type green characters. The grapes were going to be from Coonawarra so there is no shortage of those green characters, most people aim for the mint and menthol spectrum to complement the black currant flavours. Methoxypyrazines are one of the most potent flavour compounds we know of and they obviously thought that toning them down a little would be a good thing. Also green berries will have unripe phenolics which might affect the wine if there is enough of them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

'Late harvest' grapes may not actually be picked all that late these days as the term as come to refer to any wine with residual sugar in it. Not that it really matters much in the scheme of things, but I do tend to prefer a fresher style of sweet wine made from grapes at ripeness similar to that used for table wines to richer dried grape styles, botrytis excepted of course.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

moflika posted:

Don't want to fill this thread up with too much of my crap, but I've been looking around and it looks like the Champagne and Beaujolais regions have a ban on mechanical harvesting. Since I'm looking to pick, anybody aware of any others?

Tokaji must be hand picked, the sweet stuff does anyway. Tokaji Aszu takes hand harvesting to the extreme.

I just got back from vintage in Cyprus and I'll put some photos up soon. No vintage journal this year because of the constant 18 hour shifts.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

To address your first point, the sourness you are seeing is probably because the wine had a lot of tartaric acid added to it during production. Cheap wines come from hot regions and hot regions produce grapes with lower acid so it becomes necessary to add more. Better winemakers will add some malic acid and citric acid (the other two acids found naturally in grapes) as well to avoid the hard, almost crunchy acidity that too much tartaric can cause.

You might be reacting to the oak that often gets added to chardonnay, in which case try and find one that claims to be unwooded. The guys in Dan's are normally pretty helpful with requests like that. If it's not the wood that makes you hate them, then try drinking slightly more expensive wines as they are likely to have been made from better grapes with more attention to detail. I don't know if Dan Murphy's stocks it but Mike Press has a reputation for making really good cheap chardonnay, otherwise go for the Jacobs Creek Reserve Chardonnay, that range is pretty much the benchmark for value for money wine.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cyprus vintage photos at last!
The local grape varieties can literally grow on almost solid rock

Some last minute additions to the winery

Bottling stuff to empty tanks and make room for 2012 wine

Bush vines, they could make some seriously good grog if the growers weren't as useless as they are

Picking Semilon

The sorting table with the worlds most overqualified grape sorter standing on the left:

Semilon in the press:

Nice 'soil':

:stare:

Filling barrels

Some of the growers were pretty old school

Rack and returns

The jungle vineyard

I found this little guy chilling on a barrel

This tank had a lovely texture

The other Cyprus Problem: fuckin Maratheftiko

Commandaria grapes drying out. Yes, one of the local peasants thought it would be ok to drive on them :negative:

You can't legally make Commandaria outside of the region so the winery got loaded on a truck and driven 30kms to a villiage in the region

It came out at 26Be

The last night of sorting

The last crate

The last grape is on the table, suddenly everyone is smiling

I don't think they'll live to see the next vintage somehow

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Most of the local wines are truly awful, with only 5-6 wineries getting it right consistently so the chances are you didn't really miss much. More of them have one wine on their list turn out god each year, more by good luck than good management. The Russian tourists there are way cooler than the poms by the way.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Un-inoculated ferments can be risky and where I've seen it done commercially it's been a small batch that makes up part of a larger blend.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah once you've done a few in a winery and they've come out OK it's probably safe to do whole batches but I'd still be careful. Nothing like having all of the flagship red stick at 10g/L and go volatile to bring the bosses down on you like a ton of bricks.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You should flog them to some trendy winebar as natural wine.

Stitecin posted:

At one of the wineries I've worked harvest we didn't inoculate any of the pinot or chardonnay.

The pinot was destemmed, adjusted (brix, yan, pH), cold soaked, warmed, and left to whatever was in the air and whatever came in on the fruit. I thought, and still do, that ec1118 must have been the dominant house strain because it is what they used for all of their cabernet the year(s?) before. Another strain came in about half way through vintage with a completely different fermentation kinetic. With identical treatment the ferments began racing and the caps went from high and dry to foamy and soft.

The chard was whole cluster pressed, settled for 24 hours, adjusted (brix, yan, pH), barreled down and left to whatever came in on the fruit. The used barrels were steamed and ozoned, so wouldn't have had much viable yeast. There were significant differences between the fermentation kinetics of different lots, but no significant differences between the new and used barrels within each lot.

In my experience there's no reason not to try it, if you run a clean winery and stay on top of your ferments.

I was never opposed to the idea of it, I just wouldn't commit an entire batch unless I was absolutely sure that wild ferments always gave good results in that winery. The other thin I think is a good idea is to inoculate them with a real trooper (ec1118, fx10) halfway through to make sure it doesn't stick. Most of the native yeast species have dies off completely by that time so all your doing is making sure there are enough healthy cells around to finish the job properly.

The AWRI did a study a few years ago and found that if you'd ever used 1118 in the winery, that would be the dominant yeast at the end of and wild any fermentation.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The thanksgivings I've been to have had such a wide range of food that any wine will match at least something. The food struck me as being quite rich so maybe a full bodied red would prove the most versatile style for the occasion. Can't recommend an exact wine because I don't know what you have available.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It's a loving good grape. Like so many other great Eastern European varieties it gets overshadowed by the well known French and Italian grapes.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nah that's pretty standard for NZ sav blanc. There's a range of yeast available for winemakers that has been specifically selected to release far more thiols (the chemicals that give sav blanc its flavour) than a normal yeast would so it's pretty easy to make an intense wine from low grade fruit. But that is available to all winemakers if they want it so I'm more inclined to think that there is something about Marlborough that lends itself to particularly intense SB.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

That's got a lot of ullage, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I think if I were to make a fake bottle like that I'd use hella oxidized or corked wine so the fakeness of the wine isn't immediately apparent and any shortcomings are blamed on the cork.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Bryce Rankine died today. For those who don't know he was one of the most influential people in the Australian wine industry and the science he taught as head of Roseworthy is probably partly responsible for the wine boom here.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Smoke taint doesn't taste like the rich smokey flavour you might get from a scotch or bacon or something. It is bitter and has a flavour like wet ashes. So definitely a bad thing. It affects reds more than whites becasue the chemicals responible for the taint are absorbed into the skins and as you know, red grapes are fermented on skins to extract colour and during the time on skins the taint is extracted into the wine. Whites are pressed straight after crushing which minimizes the extraction of bitter phenols, and also minimizes smoke taint if the grapes are affected. It can be tricky to detect in young wines because the chemical responsible becomes glycosylated (bound to a sugar molecule) in the grape, and it can take several months to several years for the taint to become apparent because the chemical bond takes some time to break.

It's a huge problem in Australia because of our hot, dry climate and highly flammable trees so there has been quite a bit of research done on the subject but as yet they have only managed to find out what chemical creates the taint so it's presence can be tested for in grapes before they're picked; a 'cure' is a long way off.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 10, 2013

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Brett can give a metallic character to wine.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A mate just put this on facebook:

Someone forgot to open the top before pumping the wine out of it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Overwined posted:

If you mean when used when someone says, "This wine doesn't travel well," it means wines that don't take to the sloshing around of an ocean voyage and that will usually oxidize at an increased rate. Varietals have vastly different propensities to oxidize. However, with modern technology and cleaner more precise vinification techniques, this is not really an issue any longer. There are still some things to watch out for with hyper-traditional European producers and vintages transported when already quite old, but those aren't things you are likely to run into unless you already are aware of them.

In fact, there are many varietals that had such a propensity to oxidize that they were near extinct and are now making a comeback.

EDIT: When looking at long term ageing, it is very important that a wine remain mostly stable. Even small vibrations can interfere with the natural ageing process. Noting a wine as "travelled" could also be to indicate that it has not been as stable as it should optimally be.

Can't it also refer to how far any wine has leaked up alongside the cork?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I knew about a quarter of those. Once they start bringing up individual chateaus, random aoc's and grapes it's pretty tough.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 12, 2013

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

In Australia you generally need to front up in person with the hosed wine so they can taste it to make sure it is actually hosed. Not sure about the process in other places. A bad cork is definitely grounds for a refund though.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Shiraz/Syrah tends to have quite smooth and supple tannins unless the winemaker has gone out of their way to extract more from the skins or add tannin through oak or other additions. This is mostly because the grapes are quite large to the juice to skin ratio is high. By contrast Cabernet (which makes up the bulk of a lot of Bordeaux wine) has very small berries with low juice to skin ratio, so a lot of tannin gets extracted into the wine. The skins of Cabernet grapes is a lot thicker than Shiraz skin too, so there is more bulk to extract the tannins from. As a result wines made from Cab can be very aggressive unless the winemaker takes care to avoid over extracting from the skins during fermentation.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Exergy posted:

I am enjoying Penfolds Bin 8 (Cab-Syrah blend). How representative it is of Australian wines? Is Penfolds a decent brand overall?

Penfolds is pretty good if a little over priced for what you get. The style tends be be very overt, sweet, ripe fruit and sweet american oak, although there are some exceptions. Most Australian wines tend to be sweeter flavored (not in actual sugar content) than old world wines and Penfolds are at the extreme end of that, but usually without the very high alcohols you see in some wines that are vying for Robert Parker points. They are part of Treasury Wine Estates, the company that used to be Fosters; Wolf Blass, Rosemount, Coldstream Hills, Lindemans, Heemskeerk and a bunch of other labels are also part of the group.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

After years of research they've finally worked out how to incorporate TCA into a screw cap.
http://www.foodrepublic.com/2013/06/18/screw-cap-wines-are-screwed-meet-brand-new-helix-c

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You might find one of those self storage companies will have a wine storage service. Most of the ones in Australia do it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mills posted:

Who does this in Australia? I have 200+ bottles in a wine fridge and I'm moving overseas and need to put them somewhere.

I used Kennards.
http://www.kss.com.au/wine-storage

I was storing my wine for six months over summer for a couple of years. You can fit quite a bit more in their lockers than they say too as long as you don't mind really cramming it all in there.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah they're pretty good. And because their dollar is worthless they're pretty cheap in Australia.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mills posted:

Funny how perspective clouds things. NZ wines are actually overpriced in Australia because of WET taxes, transport costs, etc. Many of them are quite a lot cheaper in their home country when you consider the FX rate standalone.

We tax the poo poo out of everything so it's a level playing field in that regard. However I don't know how much the glut is affecting the prices but an average bottle of Marlborough Sav Blanc (cool climate, moderate yield) can cost the same as some of the worst wine made in Australia (very hot climate, horribly over cropped), hence why NZ wines are some of the best selling wine here.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

SERPUS posted:

My partner threw a wine & cheese tasting party last night with decent success. We spent only about $150 on supplies, and managed to get rid of nearly everything (meaning our guests either ate, drank, or took home with).

The only problem we encountered is that 2 of the couples commented on our wine glass selection, and that we should have changed glass shape moving from whites to reds. One of the couples actually skipped a round of red wine tasting (about 6 brands) because of the "wrong glasses shape".

Do I need to grab another dozen wine glasses to match the color of the wine, or are my non-college educated friends from northwestern Kentucky full of poo poo?

Every professional wine judging in Australia (and probably elsewhere unless Reidel or whatever is a sponsor) uses ISO glasses for all their wines. Unfortunately it sounds like your friend have gotten caught up in the wank that inevitably surrounds wine culture.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Kasumeat posted:

Unrelated: Is there anybody in the New World making affordable Northern Rhone-style Syrah? I love the really meaty, savoury style with a surprising leanless to it, but here your entry level Cote-Rotie is $70. My experience with the less Syrah-heavy appellations has been decent but not truly satisfying.

There are a few in Australia but finding them in among all the fruit bombs can be a bit tricky.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

TBH I'm not a huge fan of the term 'natural wine' because no wine is natural no matter how unhygienic and uncontrolled the conditions it's made under are.

That said, they are quite interesting compared with the usual fruit bombs we tend to get in Australia, and the fact that people buy them make it hard to criticize the concept.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Kasumeat posted:

However, I really hate the trend for some producers, often the more highly regarded ones, who take this to an extreme, producing highly flawed wines. Oxidation, brett, and other "faults" add complexity and increase concentration of flavour. Too much of them and the wine is indeed faulted. I've recently tasted some super-premium natural wines that were "sound", but reeked so strongly of brett, acetaldehyde, and who knows what other faults that they were some of the most disgusting wines I've had in my life.

This is the opposite of a sound wine.

Ola posted:

It is a boutique product in a way, "hand made" is often used in the marketing of many expensive products.

Nah it's not that. Plenty of small boutique winemakers make very clean, professional wines. 'Natural wine' is frequently a deliberate decision to do or not to do some operation like inoculation, racking, or lees stirring. Spending $1000s on some giant ceramic 'egg' to ferment your booze in strikes me as the total opposite of natural.

I don't criticize the wines themselves, but the scene smacks of marketing gimmick to me. The other thing I wonder is how much of the terroir can be showing if most of what you taste and smell in a wine is an artifact from millions of different microbial strains, a big whack of oxidation and a bit of spoilage; and not the inherent characteristics of the grapes derived from the site they've been grown in? Surely grapes fermented using a low flavour yeast, zero malo and controlled oxidation will allow the natural flavour of the grapes to be more prominent in a wine?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nah get one of the bad boys

Having half your cellar on tap in the middle of the lounge room would loving own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure you can decant wines prior to using it because you get the initial oxidation but once the DO is consumed by making your wine more delicious the inert gas stops any further oxidation from taking place. That would sort out any problems with cork and sediment too.