Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'd like to make some sausage etc on the cheap and I've seen meat grinder / stuffer attachments that can be stuck to a Kitchenaid Mixer. Anyone have experience / advice with these? If those are not a good option, any recommendations for cheap meat grinders / sausage making materials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sailor_Spoon posted:

The Kitchenaid grinder isn't great, but it works. It was kind of a chore keeping the blades clear of gristle and keeping everything cold, but maybe all grinders have that issue, I dunno.

The stuffer, however, is total poo poo, and you should not even consider using it. All it is is a little funnel that goes on the end of the grinder. However, once the meat is already ground, the screw is pretty terrible at pushing it along, so you're forced to use the plunger to push the meat through. To make it worse, the plunger doesn't fit into the throat tightly, so the more you push, the more meat squirts up around the sides. A miserable experience all around.

Thanks that's good to know. This is just gonna be small scale, maybe something I do once a month at the most. Any recommendation on a stuffer?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

goodness posted:

I will definitely have to look into doing it on a grill. We have one outside the apartment, but I have actually never used a charcoal grill before. Only ever cooked on gas or electric.

Give yourself 1 try to gently caress it up then you'll probably get it right everytime after. It's not hard to work with. :unsmith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A mixture of sugar and potassium nitrite would be pretty flammable, right? Or at least make lots of white smoke if you light it.

Potassium nitrAte I think. Not sure that nitrIte would cut it.

We used to mix up sugar and potassium nitrate with a little bit of binder and cast it in cheap paper tubes to make rockets and poo poo. (I was a huge pyro as a kid).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pr0k posted:

Yes. If you overheat a crucible of this mixture in your backyard with a blowtorch you will send a mushroom cloud past the window next to which your parents are having a dinner party.

Both nitrate and nitrite are oxidizers so either should work.

Or melt a hole right through the 5lb solid glass ashtray you lit them in, subsequently burning a hole through the coffee table below that and a good portion of the carpet... :ohdear:

(It is a total mystery how I survived past the age of 12)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Where do you live that it's $15 /lb.

loving 'foodies' driving up prices of random poo poo I imagine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

Why is this goon allowed to murder/dismember corpses yikes

They're not even a moderator :iiam:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What about smoked paprika in the cure?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'm sure you know already but it doesn't take much. If anyone cares enough I can dig out the recipe we used when I get a chance.

Wouldn't mind. I am going to try my 1st bacon as soon as I get a decent source for pork belly around here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

holttho posted:

From a math standpoint: additional liquid will reduce the salinity % of the cure and slow the cure process. However, unless you used something like a liter+ of beer, I can't see it ever really making a difference for home cured stuff. Just take the amount of liquid that comes out of the belly, for instance. I have had slabs of belly that hardly give out a drop of liquid, and some that dump a bucket out water out in the cure bag. The agricultural nature of the product means fluctuations like that will likely trump any additional small amount of liquid you vary by.

I've never used stout in my cures, though I can definitely see something dark and coffee-roasty-malty being a good flavor combination. Personally, I would avoid chocolate-y stouts, but that is just me because I hate the bacon/chocolate combo. If you wanted to maximize flavor but want to keep the liquid to a minimum, try reducing a bottle or two of your stout of choice down to a syrup before adding it.

-----

I was reading the Cajun thread the other day (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811) and wanted to make some gumbo. Though I live in Chicago with good access to somewhat real andouille, I figured buying things is for quitters. Also, I'm lazy and cheap.

I used a bastardized cross between Ruhlman and TheSpicySausage.com andouille #1 recipe. I picked up some of those family packs of 'blade chops' as they were somehow cheaper than a whole-intact shoulder. Ground and stuffed about 6lbs of sausage, then smoked for about 3hours in a somewhat warm smoker (about 150-170F). I use a hotplate with a pan of wood chips (apple this time; it's what I had on hand) and my horrible, cheap, prone-to-starting-itself-on-fire smoker.

(ignore the grubbiness of the grate)

My god is it good. At first I was a little worried about the slightly crispy, over-done spots, but they are actually the best parts.

--I also threw on some bacon wrapped chicken legs because why not.

When that goes in your gumbo do me a favor and post some pics of it over in the cajun thread!

Looks real nice. When I lived in Texas they had a really good pork / jalapeno sausage made locally for very cheap. I used that in my gumbo / etoufee all the time and it was awesome. I say just roll with whatever you've got on hand, the dish is good either way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Any recommendations for something that can be made from a pork shoulder? I can get those super cheap but the only pork bellies I can find around here sell for >$7-8 per lb which is more than most of the good steak cuts.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Shoulder is kind of the bread and butter of a lot of charcuterie. It's the base for a lot of different sausages both dried and fresh, they make great rillettes, I've made bacon with it (slice it into belly sized slabs before curing, technically called "cottage bacon"), and of course a whole shoulder is what makes a ham.

Thanks! Will read up on cottage bacon. Not interested in tackling a ham yet

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

so this happened yesterday.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Elephant charcuterie?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

feelz good man posted:

My first dabble into dried meats. Pancetta stesa with black pepper, juniper, nutmeg, sugar, salt, and Cure 2! It turned out very well and it tastes awesome. I have never had pancetta before, and I didn't feel like paying $25.00/lb for it

:stare:

This is pretty fantastic.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Me IRL

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

atothesquiz posted:

Anyone else notice that pork bellies are coming down in price?

Last week I bought two cases (~27 pounds, skinless) for $2.99 a pound. I'm used to paying $3.80-$4. I was pretty stoked.

Hipster foodies moving on now that its Ramps season or something something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SpannerX posted:

Reduce, reuse, recycle?

More like

Reproduce, reuse, recycle.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

holttho posted:

It's probably just for flavor since the drying is the real preserving agent here. It adds a distinctive 'cured' flavor to meats that's hard to replicate.

It adds color and also is part of many preps because it inhibits Clostridium spores from germinating in any thicker chunks that might stay a bit wet or not get enough salt into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

If it's big factory they probably just throw it in for extra insurance. Far cheaper than having to recall something because a batch didn't dry out as well or something and someone gets sick.

• Locked thread