Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Should I thaw pork belly in the fridge overnight before starting, or is it ok to put the rub on frozen and let it thaw as it goes? I'm assuming the former, but thought I'd ask.

Skimmed the thread, apologies if I missed this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Excellent, thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So let's say I left a vacsealed piece of thawed pork belly in my fridge for 5 days, because I am not very smart. Still ok to bacon with, or should I get another?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

edit: network error tricked me into a double post

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's fine, vac sealed stuff will last a long drat time.

Hmm, in that case I also have some beef cheeks from Mother's Day weekend 5 weeks ago? Adventure!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Finally making bacon! I am very excited, even if I did end up paying way too much for the belly.

I didn't have the nutmeg, but I have high hopes nonetheless. High, impatient hopes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

atothesquiz posted:

How much per pound?

Like $15, IIRC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Actually, it was only $9/lb, my wife apparently threw in some short ribs at the same time.

But I'd be willing to pay $15/lb for really awesome bacon, I guess, so it's OK in the end anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Charcuterie: it had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rambling Robot posted:

is this the first goon serial killer?

statistically unlikely

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SubG posted:

Nah. Serial killers occur in the population with rates on the order of one per ten million (in the US, lower elsewhere), and SA has less that 200k members.

So probably just a boring ol' regular murderer.

I reject your premise that this population fits the normal distribution. Among our *mods* we must be 1:100 at least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's the failure mode if I am baconing and don't flip the bag for a few days (days 5-8)? Do I end up with a biohazard like ol' maggot leg earlier?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

A slightly uneven cure at worst -- pork belly in your fridge isn't going to rot in a week, you'll just have half-bacon.

Will it "overcure" or anything if I keep it in there a few extra days on the other side? Am I worrying too much? :ohdear:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Got the bacon out of the fridge and bag, color is bacon-like and it's firm everywhere. It's in the oven now, but one thing gives me pause: almost no liquid was released. Like, I held the bag upside down, and nothing dripped out.

The belly was maybe partially frozen when I put it in, but I doubt that would reduce the amount of moisture released. I checked the plate the bag was on, and nothing had leaked onto it. If I somehow had a bad seal, could it just have evaporated?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm sure my wife would be somewhat alarmed to learn that I'm making food safety decisions on the advice of an internet comedy forum, but I'm very grateful for everyone's advice and patience with my questions.

Turned out a little salty, so I'll soak it a bit before I slice and wrap for freezing/fridge. Very tasty though, boy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm enjoying the bacon, but would really like some smoke flavour in it. I could probably get my grill to do it, but I'm also wondering how bad an idea liquid smoke is as part of the cure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It doesn't need to go in your cure. After curing brush a small amount over the bacon, or add the bacon to a vacuum bag, add some liquid, seal, and leave it a few hours (you don't need long, and you don't need much liquid either). If you use too much, or leave it too long, it won't be tasty bacon.

Ah, cool. I'll try that before baking next time. Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah I used to do this at work. It tastes much better than liquid smoke to me, but not everyone agrees.

Boy, I bet I'd agree. Definitely trying that one next time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does alcohol work ok? I was worried that it would screw up the texture.

I think I left my current batch in the cure 2 days longer than planned, hoping it's not indelibly salty!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wagyu charcuterie is certainly something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zombie Dachshund posted:

there is interest

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are there heaters that people would recommend for this purpose? The space I'm thinking about charcuterizing in is a cold cellar, and winters here get down to freezing. I don't know how cold the cellar itself gets, because I haven't done a winter in the house yet, but I suspect it's well below 55F.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zombie Dachshund posted:

You mean a space heater, right? I don't have a specific answer, but I imagine the two issues are power (how big is the space you're using, and how much warmer do you want it?) and precision. Ive never used a space heater that was all that precise; I'm sure there are some but I bet they're expensive. Better to get a cheaper model and hook it up to a PID temperature controller, IMO.

What's the humidity in the cellar?

I figured it would be a lightbulb sort of thing rather than a space heater. Like for terrariums or such. Space is likely to be mid-sized freezer or fridge, but I haven't bought it yet. Outside temp as low as 20F, have to measure indoors as winter arrives. Not sure of humidity either.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out if charcuterie will be a half-year or full-year pastime once I get into the new place.

Recommendations for good containers very welcome as well!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slimy Hog posted:

I heard that the terrarium heater bulbs work well combined with a temperature controller in a home-brewing scenario, so I'm assuming they will work with Charcuterie.

Specifically something like https://www.chewy.com/flukers-ceramic-reptile-heat-emitter/dp/129150

But make sure you have a fan in there to circulate the heat around so you don't have hotspots.

Cool, this looks like it's shaping up to be a fun project

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Party time! I brought a selection of my salumis. Clockwise, from 1 o clock:

lamb prosciutto
Orange/fennel lonza
Saucisson sec
Fennel/red wine salami
Hot coppa
And in the center, 'nduja

Amazing. :syoon:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Take me home, I'm ready.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could be a solid r/relationships thread cross-post, yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slimy Hog posted:

How did you spill a bunch of water on your carpet making duck prosciutto?

Managing the humidity plate, I'm guessing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I couldn't tell if the soap-bread thing was serious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is that a human butt cheek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I was thinking "breaded or cornmeal-coated pork loin" at first.

• Locked thread