Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Mexican market is the way to go. La Michoacana has it for ~2.19/lb, and I've seen it as low as 1.69 on sale. Also, backbacon is good. I should probably do one while whole loin is 1.99/lb this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Instinct says it will be peppery, keep that in mind when you get to the 2nd bit of his recipe, which I assume will be dusting your pancetta with the pepper.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

10 days is really long. I did a pancetta with the ruhlman cure and only had it on a day, and it's perfect.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I just have to say what the poo poo to that slicer. Why would they design a deli slicer with a serrated blade? Corned beef looks good though.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Cut back on the salt, up your sugar. Lots of potential problems it could be, but couldn't tell you exactly without seeing/tasting.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Bacon shouldn't taste sour or off. Maybe their brine sucks, or maybe it wasn't hung or cured properly.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Cherry smoked duck speck. It is so goddamn delicious.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

duck prosciutto is quick and easy. Get duck breast, pack in salt for ~16hrs, cold smoke if you want, hang for 3-5 days, ready!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Made canadian bacon

3 day brine, 4 hour hot smoke.

pork tenderloin lonza

It's drying on the outside a little too fast, but I think it'll equalize in a few more days.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tweek posted:

Cheese cloth is the difference between hard and chewy. What's your humidity at?

Just got it hanging in my closet, would guess 30ish % humidity. Got a heavier wrap on the cheesecloth to compensate.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Apparently I am terrible at guessing humidity, and it's 62% humidity in my closet. Did the salt water anyways, should be another 2 weeks on the lonza.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

loving Hormel anything.

Nope, Hormel is poo poo. Absolute poo poo. Sorry you lack taste.

Think I'm going to do some sopressata soon.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Question for the group:

I posted this in the smoking thread but didn't get much feedback. I have built a crude cold smoker in my yard and my test bacon is most of the way cured. I am looking for advice regarding the cold smoking process. Specifically about time and temp and how to deal with feeding it. I have ran a few fires through it and while I can get a nice thin blue smoke, every time I have to feed it the fire flares up and a ton of thick white smokes pours out for like 15-30m.

You want a white smoke. A cold smoker is not a low heat smoker. A cold smoke is a separate unit that you funnel smoke into. While the smoke travels, it cools, and does not raise the temperature in the cold smoker.

Think of a still, you want the smoke cold when it reaches your meat, you don't want to try and keep a fire that is 100F or below.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I've done the Ruhlman filleto cure, it's kinda poo poo tbh. I'd just do the black pepper dusting and smoke it for a few hours before hanging.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

It may have been due to the fact that the recipe in the book is wrong. It calls for like 160g of salt, or 5% by weight, but if you compared the salt he suggested with the weight of the tenders he used, he was closer to 10%. I did 5% for my tenders for 48hrs, and they could have used a bit more salt. Also, the fennel was a bit too strong, I would have added some red pepper flakes to the initial cure, and possibly some sugar or molasses.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

"Ready to eat 30 minutes after application" lolwat, I would not use that stuff. It's a pre-made blend with MSG, whatever you wanted to cure with it probably wouldn't taste quite right. I'd suggest ordering some DQ cure #1 on Amazon, 1lb is like 12-13bux.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Should be fine, probably pull it out on day 3.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I've done a brined filleto. Turned out fine. Be mindful of your humidity though, pork tenders are so lean they'll dry on the outside super easily.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Trying some salmon bacon at work, bet it's gonna be tasty.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

HOLD THE gently caress UP

And then give me details.

Turned out pretty good.

Approached it just like regular bacon. Salt/pink salt/brown sugar/maple syrup. These were just a ton of scrap bellies/tails from cutting portions for a party, so I rubbed them down, and let them cure overnight. Warm-ish smoked them to 110F, and those pieces you see there tasted fantastic. I cut some bias slices and seared them on the flat top, loving salmon bacon. It had this awesome salmon texture, but with the flavor of bacon!

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 11, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

A deli slicer at $250 would be an instant buy for me. You can slice so much more than just meat. Buy your cheese in bulk now.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

So let's say I left a vacsealed piece of thawed pork belly in my fridge for 5 days, because I am not very smart. Still ok to bacon with, or should I get another?

It's fine, vac sealed stuff will last a long drat time.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Like $15, IIRC.

Holy poo poo that's highway robbery. Dude, that's more expensive than a prime ribeye.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

icehewk posted:

Been aging this according to Ruhlman. It had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out as you can see. Is it all right?

Green mold, throw it out. Check your poo poo daily next time!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I retract my previous statement, eat it and let us know how that goes. Maybe you'll hallucinate from the many types of fungus present.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

holttho posted:

Negative. Think of the cells as water balloons. If you poke a hole in one, even if you submerge the balloon, it will never re-inflate.

Negative to your negative, this is not how osmosis works! Salt pulls moisture from the outer cells, and slowly works its way to the center, once it's reached the center, those cells will reach an equilibrium, and take some of their moisture back, as their salt levels lower. It's less like a balloon and more like, I dunno, a meat sponge.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I stab the poo poo out of my brisket for pastrami, but I like a 6-7 day turnaround for a whole, untrimmed brisket. Don't "desalinate", just use a decent recipe, Ruhlmans is solid, but I disagree with his times. 5lb briskets don't exist Ruhlman, stop writing recipes for home cooks!

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 31, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I use a wine fridge, and have successfully done lonza in it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Take a look at my lonza, only took about a month. Used the salt box method, pressed it while it was curing to make the drying process a little quicker. In all, took 1 week in cure, 3 weeks drying. Cured with a shitload of pepper, washed with white wine, coated with pepper, wrapped in cheesecloth, trussed so well my chef thought I was into bondage, and hung in my soon to be re-purposed curing cooler.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Martello posted:

Did you not use pink salt? It looks tasty but much paler than lonze I've seen (and cured) in the past.

Yeah, I used pink salt. Those slices are off the lean end.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

goodness posted:

Every time the health inspector comes in to a restaurant I work at I just imagine their minds imploding if they ever eat somewhere out of the USA.

Had a health inspector tell me I had to throw out some house cured meats, nope, I'll take the 5 point hit, kthx.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Beef on the other hand is running around with its middle finger raised up.

Despite beef sale actually dropping in the US. Supply and Demand is just broken.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does someone have a baker's math recipe for bacon cure? I asked for a pork belly at the Asian market today and after some confusion ended up with a 9 pound belly.

Also what's a good price for pork belly these days? Tis was $4.59/lb which seems reasonable but really I have no idea.

I pay $7/lb for berkshire belly, and $10/lb for kurobuta. Factory hog belly is like $2.79.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Anyway I have never tried not bringing it up to temp. I have researched that in order to not smoke it you can hang it to dry for 2 weeks after washing off the cure and get the same result.

That's called pancetta, and while delicious, and also on my charcuterie board, isn't quite like bacon.

Also, Berkshire for life, infinitely better if you do want to do a raw pancetta.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

White chalky mold is great, you can actually buy it to cover your stuff in, it's sold as bactoferm. If you're checking your charcuterie daily, and you see anything other than chalky mold, you spray it with vinegar and wipe dry.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Factory hog belly is like $1.80/lb. I can get Berkshire for $3.20/lb, and Duroc for $4.15/lb. loving supermarkets REALLY want you to buy their lovely bacon instead of your own.

e: these are wholesale prices, but some purveyors sell to the public, and depending on where you are, you just need a business license to buy, which could be worth the $50 investment if you ever want to buy whole primals and are willing to go pick them up at the distribution center.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Stringent posted:

That sounds like it's probably done, it's not supposed to be edible raw or anything.

Pancetta is very edible raw, especially if it has been dried.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You won't lose as much weight with pancetta because of the fat content. 20-25% loss is what I aim for at work.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

Any recommendations on a good meat slicer that's ~$100?

I see people use these fairly often at home and in small food trucks. Seem to hold up well, just make sure you spend an extra 20bux and get the non-serrated blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brisket at $5+/lb is crazy. Whole untrimmed should be around 2.79.

Eye of Round works second best, imo.

• Locked thread