Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I could order it, but it's a pain in the rear end, I'd rather just get it locally if I can.

You got a Dollar General in the area? They always have that stuff, and canning supplies. Particularly in the more rural markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My mom uses a Weston grinder. She likes it, but does not do sausage, so I cant give any input as to that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trig Discipline posted:

I am brand new to this, and am just starting to assemble a kit to do some home curing. I'm ordering the Ruhlman book now, but I was wondering if anyone knows of good recipes that one can do with a goat leg. Thoughts?

Is it a front right? I have a goat that needs a new one. I'll swap ya for it.

Realtalk, slaughtering a pig for my birthday. Assembling simple charcuterie recipes now. Anyone have a simple favorite for country ham? I can access a hot smoker.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 14, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have come into the possession of about 2lb of free pork belly chunks. I will also be processing a whole 100lb pig for my birthday. What are some fun things to do to sloppily (cut wise, not sanitation) butchered meat, short of grind it all? I am a beginner and not had any curing experience.

Also, should I make a GoonButcherCamp 2015 for my birthday?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pork belly chunks have cured. Drying in fridge now, will smoke tomorrow.

Hopefully i'll be able to do a real slab of bacon one day, but these chunks were free, and from a very happy farm raised pig named Russel.

edit: BAC-DONE. These are just the nice slices I could make, the other half of it was minced and fried into bacon bits. Not bad at all for a first try!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 1, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anyone have an easy, able to do in the fridge Pancetta recipe I can make and start working on this pile of meat?

First time butchering on a larger scale then 'squirrel'! Very proud of myself, but I need more practice.

The bellies and one nice jowl cut I want to use are in the tupperware marked CHARCUTERIE DO NOT TOUCH (added the 'do not touch' bit when I caught mom sneaking tidbits from it to the dog x.x) Funny thing too, that's what the kabob and sausage pork is for.

The vaccum sealed belly was too ruined to make any sort of neat charcuterie, I totally messed that one up. The 'stewing pork' is from me counting up everything from the trunk, and having that piece left over, like the mystery screw from an IKEA flat-pack. It's not a belly, it's not rib, it's not loin... Hey! It's gonna be pulled pork.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 17, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Bacon Part 2: Maple Harder, and Pancetta Episode 1; Can Rosemary Substitute For Juniper, are in the fridge. 6lbs of breakfast sausage and 3lbs of chorizo are now in the freezer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CURE FASTER AAGH

I also love how neatly the bellies fit in my foodsaver bags.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anything bad happen if you let the meat cure a few days longer? I won't have access to the smoker until Thursday, and my meat looks pretty happy and clean in the foodsaver bags. I think I saw this asked before in the thread, but cant seem to find it or the answer. Either way, it's getting a bit of a soak and rinse, since my first batch was suuuuuuper salty, and would have probably benefitted from this.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 27, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Parents are gone, pancetta hanging in the closet. Bacon on the smoke. Squared off the pancetta and frying up the scraps with eggs, MMMMMMMMM so good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trig Discipline posted:

Wait did you just imply that you charcuteried your parents?

Honestly, is that any worse then mystery rotting sock leg?

Nah, mom is sensitive to strong smells, and has asked I do no weird cooking when she's around. That includes burning things and hanging slabs of meat in the closet.

I had chorizo bacon tacos for dinner tonight because I MADE THIS poo poo YO. That and dearly frozen Mr. Snacks.

SpannerX posted:

Reduce, reuse, recycle?

Erryday

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Martello posted:

disown your mom, hth

She likes the end result, but she has some serious olfactory damage from a chemical spill in her youth that's made her sense of smell very weird and sensitive.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Rotten Cookies posted:

That's like the lamest ripoff of DareDevil ever.

She did actually just get eye surgery, so now she'll be seeing better then ever. Maybe her hosed sense of smell will mellow out and stop trying to compensate.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I eat baby skin posted:

Olfactory problems can be a sign of mental illness. Maybe you should throw her in the crazy house and turn your home into a charcutopia. Just saying.

"Hey mom, some people on the internet told me to kick you out of the house and turn it into a sausage fest."

"Tell them I'll kick you out and turn the whole house into a quilting room."

Well played, mother. Well played.

Edit: fried up a bit of bacon to reseason my cast iron, it is delicious.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 1, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Booohohoho I just found some slices of my uncooked homemade bacon second batch jammed in the back of the fridge. It molded.

It was only a few slices but I am sad to have lost it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

davmillar posted:

I found this thread Wednesday and was really into the idea of making bacon. Unfortunately, the two English speaking stores I tried had pork belly. Then I went to the carniceria.

Me: "Do you have pork belly?"
Lady: "Por balli?"
Me: "uh... *Uses Google Translate* Vientre de cierdo?"
Lady: "(something in Spanish)?"
Me: *retarded stare* "2... Pounds...?"

Some digging the back refrigerated area and wrapping and labeling later, and she hands me a two pound portion of "vientre de cierdo".

Arriving home and eager to start, I unwrap my purchase and... Apparently I am the proud owner of two pounds of pork *stomach*. So with bacon out the window, can anyone in this thread recommend a preparation for pork stomach, charcuterie or otherwise? And can someone tell me what to ask for next time I go there if I can ever shake the humiliation?

Oooohhh. Shoulda asked for Falda (directly translates to "skirt", but more like side). At the very least, you hopefully did not pay a whole lot. Also, don't be too embarrassed, I've made plenty of dumb gringo mistakes, now I'm bros with everyone at my local carniceria. Or at least, well enough acquainted that we all smile and wave. Encouraged me to improve my spanish as well. Because High School did me no favors.

Buy hey, good news, you now can make HELLA TACOS
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/the-nasty-bits-tacos-de-buche-pork-stomach-recipe.html

Clean 'em good. You can clean and par-cook the stomach ahead of time and just make quarter or half pound batches at a time for tacos, put the rest in the freezer.

Also pick up epazote and mexican oregano (actually closer related to majoram I think?) next time you go to get your Falda. Also check out this helpful link I found, http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/3019-a-guide-to-mexican-butcher-shops-part-ii-pork-and-lamb

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 10, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Faithless posted:

I've just moved into a new house and there is ZERO fridge space to brine beef for pastrami/saltbeef.

I was measuring the temps of my basement and the temps are between 60.5 - 75 F.

Everything I've read has indicted that these temps would be too high for storing a sealed brining bucket full o beef, however I think it would be fine (for 10-12 days roughly). I mean hell isn't this what they did originally when they brined beef back in ye'olden times?

Any advice would be appreciated before I kill myself and my friends with food poisoning

Get a giant cooler, fill it with ice water. Put bucket in cooler.

People also died of food poisoning a lot more in ye olden days, so hey, if you want to be authentic... Also, most butchery and charcuterie was done in fall and winter, when it was cooler. Google up some old Foxfire magazines on home butchery, highly interesting. It's really old school Appalachia too, so it's like "When the dogstar is low and the frogs quit their moonsong y'all git your pig in oak pasture for acorns and sharpen yer knife by the sunrise or the divil gitcha"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

goodness posted:

Yeah I thought the point of most of this was to be able to eat it raw as the curing process cooks it.

Have any of you made beef bacon? Is it even something you would want to do.

I would also like to know about beef bacon. My brother in law can not eat pork (he's got a weird singular protein sensitivity, kinda like how dogs can get), but loves bacon and cured meats. I'd like to make him some cow based charcuterie.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ckwiesr posted:

Merry Christmas Charcoot goons.

I spent the better part of today making about 150 pounds of polish kielbasa with my girlfriend's father and uncle.

This is amazing. Get more pictures next time!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

holttho posted:

Brisket is the traditional cut of meat, but sometimes you can only buy them as the whole brisket (7-10lbs @ 5+$/lb can add up quick).

Actually, it depends what area you're in. Of you have a Jewish or bbq ing population, you'll pretty easily find 2 and 3lb packages. Still a bit on the expensive side though. Beef brisket is super delicious though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cartouche posted:

I was just peeking at the pictures in the OP and boy howdy that duck breast is literally decayed on the bottom.

lol you aint seen nothing yet http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438423&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post432200869

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ShadowCatboy posted:

I may end up having to toss this batch out but it's still an interesting experiment and a decent practice run, and I'm learning from my fuckups as I go along.

Keep us updated, i'm curious to see how it's gonna turn out!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Smashurbanipal posted:

quick charcuterie troubleshooting question.

I made some pancetta according to Ruhlman and hung it up in one of my downstairs closets to age. Family poo poo happened and I totally lost track of time. It hung for 4 weeks rather than the recommended amount and got rather dry on the outside. The inside is a fun multi colored mold fest on the ends turning to slime where my roll was nice and tight. Is this at all salvageable?

does it look anything like a human leg with a sock on the end

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

OP has been updated.

You might even want to NSFW that.

Jose posted:

its a bit worrying how fast you found that post

Ctrl+F "human leg"

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Just moved into a house my GF bought with a root cellar built into it. Our housewarming gift was her family's old hand-crank sausage stuffer, and hand-crank grinder, cast iron and purchased new several generations ago, plus a butcher's block that they bolt in to and the old scale, bone saw, knives, and honing steel.

Also, there's a ranch about 7 miles from town that raises Mangalica pigs. We're going up to see the place on Monday and drive home with half a pig's worth of pork. At $3.50 a pound plus the butcher's fee, for bulk purchases I feel like it'd be criminal to get any less.

Hello, I live in your root cellar now. Don't mind me.

(That is awesome and you are a lucky duck)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just had some pancetta wrapped watermelon. It was delicious and refreshing. I suggest everyone do this.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Beautiful! Fantastic work.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What do you suggest for this?

https://imgur.com/5fPfJIw

I'm gonna go for a dry rub of back and belly skritchies, and a long low smoke for a period of 7-12 years under oak :)

(No, we're not eating him. This is Michelangelo, he's a runt that was not doing well with mom, I'm hand raising him for the farm I work at, we'll be training him as a mascot and farm outreach animal)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just be sure to remove the sock.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

EXPERIMENTS

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

toplitzin posted:

I have figured out my Four Flavors Four Ways:

Orange/Ginger/Cherry/Clove

Bay/Rosemary/Thyme/Tarragon

Allspice/Fennel/Cardamom/Coriander

Black/White/Sichuan/Green Pepper

Curing commences tomorrow morning!

My concern is with the first and last ones. Orange cherry seems like a great idea, but personal experience tells me that the two cancel each other out and take the bite out of citrus and the tang out of cherries. I'd also nix the ginger for now, same problem, it kinda turns the other flavors to mush. And when you're dealing with duck, I find you want to kinda focus on one strong good tang to cut the fat. I'd just go for orange clove, save the cherries for snacking and ginger for stomach aches.

As for the pepper, I personally would pick one and stick with it, you can always add more later. Get a baseline going. Can't go wrong with a nice straight black pepper to cut through a duck.

These are, however, my personal opinions, do whatever the heck you want with my blessings.

The herby ones sound great, go for it. But now I wonder what a nice simple bay and salt wrapped cured duck breast would be like. Fortunately for me, I have two more rear end in a top hat rapist muscovies left on the farm to remove.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 17, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Beautiful work anyway. I find the best thing to do with too-salty cured meat is to make a bastard version of Okonomiyaki. https://youtu.be/NjmqBvRQ8tI, make sensible substitutions where necessary. I make mine with tons of spinach instead of cabbage, sadly no octopus or shramps (hard to find or prepare on a moment's hangryover notice) and more eggs. That's how I ripped through my too-salty pork pancetta.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jose posted:

time to buy some that seems jerky suitable since i'm not a whisky/bourbon drinker

Early Times all the way. The best cheap whiskey.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Just don't stick a human leg in it.

No, the problem is you gotta take the sock off. Those are just rife with bacteria that'll ruin your cure.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

turing_test posted:

It's delicious but definitely looks like a weird creepy tongue. I have some sauerkraut fermenting and am looking forward to baking some rye bread and turning it into reubens!

Pics! You can always just slice it cold and fan it out into a neat arangement.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

turing_test posted:

Imgur album here: https://imgur.com/a/q9q12

Recipe here. I cooked the tongue in my Instant Pot for 35 mins.

I used the SeriousEats recipe for sauerkraut.

Nicely done! Looks great. May you have many delicious sandwiches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How did they get a pancetta that dry?

Bracing desert air. If it cures TB, it'll cure meat.

• Locked thread