Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

cioxx posted:

Buddhist Geeks if you're into the whole Buddha thing but don't like the boring parts.

Thanks for mentioning this. I've always had an interest in this kind of stuff, but most of the podcasts I've heard on the matter have been insufferable. I'll definitely check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

"Too Much Information" is very TAL-esque.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I got a fancy new iPhone a few weeks ago, and quickly discovered that Instacast is an amazing podcast manager and well worth the meager $2 asking price. It even does Airplay. I really recommend it.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I've mentioned it before, but Instacast for iPhone helped me break my podcasts away from a computer. Everything is on my phone, downloads automatically, and everything about it is customizable.

I then use a program called AirFoil to make my computer an AirPlay target, but only if I want to hear something out of big speakers (which is becoming exceedingly rare).

It's not for everyone, but Instacast is a really powerful app for $2.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

If you're on iOS and don't like the default podcast listening experience, Instacast with the premium subscription is all kinds of worth it, if only for the playlists. My shows are automatically filtered chronologically by Humor, Video Games, News & Information, and 5by5.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

rizuhbull posted:

I'm part of the staff on a gaming video site that showcases gameplay, let's plays, achievements and some text stuff among other things game related. long story short, I now have hosting duties. Any tips or suggestions from people who've done this for a while? Most technical details are taken care of. I.e. everyone has a decent mic, we know how to record, clean up the audio, that kind of stuff. So commentary is what I'm really interested in learning about.

Make a show that you would want to listen to. Learning how to do this means listening to a bunch of shows and figuring out what works.

More than 4 people on a show is a nightmare, avoid it.

Try and differentiate yourself SOMEHOW. Why would someone listen to you instead of the thousands of other options available?

Don't be a robot about staying on topic... Digressions about facial hair humanize you, and makes you more than bleep bloop VIDEOGAMES people. People listen to podcasts because they like the personalities behind them. Reading reviews and news is much quicker than listening to a podcast of any length.

No matter what length you say you're aiming for, water will find its level, and that means you will wildly overshoot whatever time limit you set. Don't stress about it.

Your goal as a host is to talk less than whoever you're on the show with. You want to facilitate, always know what topic is next, and feel the conversation and know when to change the topic. You were likely put into the host position for some kind of reason, so hunt down your voice and work on it every time.

Don't sweat the numbers. Watching the numbers, especially when you start out, can be a loving bummer. Recognize that the market is so fragmented that if you pull a few hundred downloads a week, that's really good. Once you get to a place where the numbers don't bum you out, start watching them and see if changes you make affect them (did you spend more time on WRUP? Was this a show where we talked about a huge release? Was this bummer of a dude co-host out sick and people liked that he was gone?).

Don't do scummy things to promote your show. Facebook, Twitter, and ads on sites like SA help tremendously. Google Adwords, Reddit, and spamming people don't. It's not how many people you reach, but how many you can hook. Quality listeners will pay dividends.

Sorry about the brain barf. Hope it helped somehow.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I use two services.

The first is for any shows that I still have hosted on Amazon S3 (this will work for any other self-hosting, too). It's Podtrac. It's free, and it works well enough. Sometimes their stats don't update until late in the next day, which is a bummer.

I host my more popular shows on Libsyn, since it's a flat fee instead of a pay-as-you-go situation. The stats that are included with that are killer.

Both services give you a breakdown of regions and clients, which is about as thorough as you need to be unless you have specific analytics needs.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Hi, I'm Jimmy Duckfeed. I can't figure out what the issue is, because I cannot replicate it. I'm sorry about the frustration... let me know if it continues to be an issue in a day or so.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

They’re talking to small businesses.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I always like when Gary Butterfield and Kole Ross make references to posts from the PYF meme thread the day after they were made in their recordings because it shows that they're smart enough to know that this place is a cesspool and that even if they still read it they absolutely should not touch the poop.

I’m nowhere near that smart, I just never have much to say here.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

credburn posted:

Hey, I got a bunch of soundproofing foam panels. Can I just Elmer's Glue this poo poo to my walls? At work I've seen they use this technique and I guess it works. My concern is that it could damage the paint on the wall, but since Elmer's is water-soluble, I figure a little hot water is all it will take to remove them.

Go to a hardware store and have them cut strips of MDF, two inches wide and the length of the foam panel’s longest dimension (think of them as mounting rails). Use 3M Super 77 spray glue to attach the rails to the top and bottom of each panel. Use Command Strips (with or without Velcro, it’s up to you) on the rails and affix the panels to the wall that way.

This is costly, but it might save you a security deposit (or the frustration of trying to make a wall look normal after you used adhesive on it).

Another way to go is to use t-pins (found in sewing supplies or office supplies) to pin the panels to your walls at several places. This assumes you have walls that are soft enough to take a pin... so if you have plaster walls or very dense/unforgiving sheetrock, this won’t work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Overcast works great for CarPlay. You can navigate your playlists, it will show episodes that are recently downloaded or in progress, and the Now Playing screen looks nice.