Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Second season is allegedly in the works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've been listening to Darts and Letters, not sure how to describe it, maybe somewhere in between citations needed and fresh air.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Standout episode is an in depth investigation into whether Cap'n Crunch has become less mouth-hurty over time

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

On Our Watch is a new NPR podcast produced in partnership with like 40 newspapers investigating how cops are poo poo and completely unaccountable by getting access to disciplinary investigation records.

First episode involves mauling an old woman with a police dog, arresting her for not respecting their authority, falsifying police reports, lying to the DA, falsely bringing felony charges against her, not bothering to tell anyone when the charges are dropped for lack of evidence, lying to reporters, etc.

Really brings home the absolute impunity that cops have, almost more so for the banality ordinariness of these incidents compared to the murders they committ in broad daylight. It's really great journalism but kind of upsetting to listen to at times.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Moderate Rebels is good poo poo

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Apple is the default standard even though no one likes this including apple

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Do any of those recommendations have an episode on Groverhaus? Seems like prime material for this subject.

WTYP premium feed

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Splicer posted:

Thanks, I've tried WTYP and I like the main (?) guy with the very dry voice but find Alice very annoying. More generally there is, again, a lot of dead people and that's not what I'm in the mood for.

You might like the donoteat YouTube channel

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/expenses/id1458717729

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What are the best episodes of Well There's Your Problem? I want to get into it, but some episodes aren't clicking.

First bonus episode is Groverhaus

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Scam Economy
Tech Won't Save Us

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The ongoing history of new music is a radio show that has been going strong for decades which mostly explores bands and genres.

Right now they're doing a 15 part series on the origins of alt rock. Some other recent shows have been things like the history of female rock drummers, or the history of vinyl recording.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

For anyone interested in prestige journalistic podcasts, new miniseries just dropped courtesy of CBC and LA Times.

Called "Outlaw Oceans" it covers stories like mercenaries, pollution, slavery etc.

First episode starts with audio footage of murders at sea, so you may want to skip it if you're sensitive to that.

https://www.theoutlawocean.com/the-outlaw-ocean-podcast/

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 26, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Can anyone explain the new season of Serial?

Someone I've never heard of before has a complicated relationship with her abusive antivax father? Is there some larger point I'm missing?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The Gray Area
Unexplainable
In Our Time

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

New season of Serial just dropped, about a cop who might have murdered someone but it turns out he was innocent after all and you listened to 4 hours of audio to get back where you started :argh:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

COPE 27 posted:

New season of Serial just dropped, about a cop who might have murdered someone but it turns out he was innocent after all and you listened to 4 hours of audio to get back where you started :argh:

Lol in the last 10 minutes of the series oh by the way there was this other guy with a long criminal record that probably did it, but we're not gonna bother looking into him

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Green Wing posted:

About four years ago I stopped learning things and I'd like to restart. I'm looking for podcasts that have an academic rather than entertainment feel, but don't know where to begin. History seems to be a good subject to start with - I take very long walks every day and want to do something with my brain while I'm doing this.

Nothing too high energy, sarcastic or irreverent. Nothing that has the same energy of a YouTube thumbnail.

New books network

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What’s this?

À podcast network discussing new academic books in a variety of disciplines

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's a dollar a month for something I use for hundreds of hours and I assume they do have some costs to cover

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Minotaurus Rex posted:

While I like the idea of If Books Could Kill and Conspirituality my first impressions of both is they’re a bit less fun and lighthearted and as such don’t really appeal.. there’s way too much seriousness in those realms already imo and the DtG people joking around with it and making it into entertainment is a big part of the appeal to me. I may or may not return to those pods after I run out of the DtG eps tho

It also drives me crazy how often they miss the more substantive critique. There was one episode recently where they were criticising the racist implications of some school achievement argument (which, fair enough) but skipped over the fact that these are specifically designed to destroy public sector unions.

e: yeah if books could kill

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

20 minutes into IFBCK agreeing with Jeffrey Epstein associate Steven Pinker that murder rates are the lowest in history with no mention of 1 million murdered Iraqis :argh: